Waldorf Streichfett?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Happyanimal
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Happyanimal » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:56 pm

rowsbywoof wrote:Sweetwater has had this for a pre-order forever, as well. Wonder what the holdup is. It definitely occupies a nice place in a very niche market, and giving the 'Fett a Blofeld like treatment is fine by me. Here's hoping they actually come out.
The hold up is the quantum I assume. Be thankful you’re not in that line. :deadbanana:

Thorsday
Common Wiggler

Post by Thorsday » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:43 pm

It has been acknowledged by Waldorf in recent emails with Support:

"Sorry, development takes longer than expected. Actually, the Streichfett engine has been completely reworked and improved, we haven't just taken the Streichfett engine as-is."

This goes beyond the addition of the vocoder... Sound will be more high fidelity and 'mastered' sounding, if You will.

I need... Holding out for this poly. It is the one for me.

Happyanimal
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Happyanimal » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:05 am

Thorsday wrote:It has been acknowledged by Waldorf in recent emails with Support:

"Sorry, development takes longer than expected. Actually, the Streichfett engine has been completely reworked and improved, we haven't just taken the Streichfett engine as-is."

This goes beyond the addition of the vocoder... Sound will be more high fidelity and 'mastered' sounding, if You will.

TBH I’m much more excited about the Behringer vp330 knock off coming out.

Hermetech Mastering
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Hermetech Mastering » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:49 am

I'm still hoping it will come out and be good, but TBH at this stage am thinking of grabbing something else that is actually available.

I could never be excited about any new Behringer product (never bought, never will).

Thorsday
Common Wiggler

Post by Thorsday » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:05 am

Happyanimal wrote:
Thorsday wrote:It has been acknowledged by Waldorf in recent emails with Support:

VP330... I've never played real one. Only Roland Boutique and Nord Sample Library iterations. The STVC just has a different vibe going on. One could justify keeping both. You know i'm keeping my Farfisa Syntorchestra.

chvad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chvad » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:44 am

Happyanimal wrote:
ditto

felixer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by felixer » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:34 am

chvad wrote:
Happyanimal wrote:
ditto
oh, that's interesting ... where?
don't need midi, don't need keys, just want knobs and cables (all together now ;-)

Technologear?
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Technologear? » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:17 am

I spent some quality time with the Streichfett tonight and had a breakthrough in understanding and thus patching.

Previously I fought the fx, turning them down and only trying to bring them in a little bit to add some flavour. The trick was to do the opposite, and patch into and through the fx.
I'll describe some of my insights into the knobs, in order of consideration when patching:

Fx- overall having all of them on can be a bit much. Aim for typically 2 of 3 on.

Animate: like a medium rate lfo sweeping the filter fully with a moderate resonance level that you can't adjust. You have to go with the resonance and how obviously noticeable the effect is. I prefer this or reverb not both.

Phaser: just select rate, leave low but still on if you don't want it that obvious. This is my favourite effect of the three.

Reverb: very big verb this one, not subtle, and influences the tone a lot. Crank it up, drop the Animate, and patch into it, watching your upper mids which seem much brighter from the reverb.

Balance: really helpful when patching. I like selecting the Strings only first, and patching knowing I'll cover the attack and upper mid range 'body' with the Solo section next. This lets you go with String sounds that sound a little hollow or slow (envelope attack 'crescendo' setting) that normally you might dismiss.
Before swapping to the Solo section, think to yourself 'what sound would compliment and fill in the Strings?', then swing Balance 100% Solo and patch with that in mind.
Finally blend Balance to both Strings and Solo, and tweak from there. I find I set towards Solo more like 60:40, the Strings seem louder than Solo.

Ensemble- Chorus: I missed how good this sounds. For some patches it sounded much better than Strings or Both, especially if the FX section was going large.

Waldorf, if you're listening: via midi please let us control Wet Dry and Rate of each FX including Trem and the volume balance of low vs high notes (rather than you doing this in firmware updates).

I hope this motivates some of you to turn on your Streichfetts again if any of you fell out of love with it. Or alleviate any GAS for that other stringer mentioned above (unless funds permit, then grab it!)

Hermetech Mastering
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Hermetech Mastering » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:54 am

I'm hoping they'll release a Streichfett II/desktop version of the STVC, with all the extra stuff (actually, I wouldn't need the Vocoder at all...)

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Waldorf Streichfett?

Post by onthebandwagon » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:56 am

How are the people who have had this for a while liking it?
“no matter how fine you grind the dead meat, you’ll not bring it to life again“

Technologear?
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Technologear? » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:33 pm

onthebandwagon wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:56 am
I still enjoy mine, especially after the insights gained from a breakthrough patching session (few posts above).
I bought the Beri vc340 and returned it (twice, due to issues each unit had). I liked it's particular range of string sounds and could have used it as a key component of a indie dirge project, but the Streichfett is more versatile and reliable. I'm sticking to it.
If your curious and find yourself drawn to tracks with string synths in them, then your probably going to enjoy one.

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:45 pm

Technologear? wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:33 pm
onthebandwagon wrote:
I still enjoy mine, especially after the insights gained from a breakthrough patching session (few posts above).
I bought the Beri vc340 and returned it (twice, due to issues each unit had). I liked it's particular range of string sounds and could have used it as a key component of a indie dirge project, but the Streichfett is more versatile and reliable. I'm sticking to it.
If your curious and find yourself drawn to tracks with string synths in them, then your probably going to enjoy one.
Yes I do, thus my interest...although the marketing and reviews seem to emphasize a “cheesy 80s” type sound. What sort of controller or sequencer do you generally use with it?

Koekepan
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Koekepan » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:24 pm

I still have my Streichfett, and I still like it a lot. I use it with some frequency. It's not right for every piece, but when you want it, there are few things that will do the same job.

I usually sequence it with my Social Entropy Engine, but I often play it with a keyboard workstation over MIDI. Works fine either way. I like to sequence the two voices independently, but they layer really nicely as well.

Thorsday
Common Wiggler

Post by Thorsday » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:58 pm

onthebandwagon wrote:
STVC is awesome! It is everything I have ever wanted in a string synth. What may come as a surprise, as it is not shown off in demos online... I really like the bass. It has a sound that really fits in the mix in the type of symphonic metal I do. With external effects it also provides for great intros and outros for my more hardcore works, too.

Technologear?
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Technologear? » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:28 am

onthebandwagon wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:45 pm
What sort of controller or sequencer do you generally use with it?
I'm the same as Koekepan, I use my nicest keybed with midi out (a digital piano) when I feel like playing it live or a polyphonic sequencer (Digitakt). My small controllers like Keystep don't do it justice. In the sequencer I reduce velocity of higher octave parts as I find higher notes seem louder on it.

I have also used my boss looper to record loops from it. This works great as I record single octave range passes, and each pass I go up an octave but lower the volume. This bypasses the 'higher notes seeming louder' issue too.

If you have a polyphonic synth with midi out you can layer the two of them for a massive pad sound.

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:42 am

Technologear? wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:28 am
onthebandwagon wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:45 pm
What sort of controller or sequencer do you generally use with it?
I'm the same as Koekepan, I use my nicest keybed with midi out (a digital piano) when I feel like playing it live or a polyphonic sequencer (Digitakt). My small controllers like Keystep don't do it justice. In the sequencer I reduce velocity of higher octave parts as I find higher notes seem louder on it.

I have also used my boss looper to record loops from it. This works great as I record single octave range passes, and each pass I go up an octave but lower the volume. This bypasses the 'higher notes seeming louder' issue too.

If you have a polyphonic synth with midi out you can layer the two of them for a massive pad sound.
I’m thinking of pairing it with a Novation Circuit for the time being. On the waiting list for the Osmose so I figure I’ll wait for that for keyboard use. Do you know if it responds to aftertouch?

astrosound
Common Wiggler

Post by astrosound » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:40 pm

I've wanted a Streichfett since it came out and finally purchased a used one about a month ago. I'm very pleased with it. While I understand the concerns over the limited controls, I rather like the simplified (curated?) layout as I view it more as a distinctive instrument rather than a general purpose synth. The "solo" section is particularly fun. I really love old electronic piano/clav/harpsichord sounds so the generous range of click/pop available at the attack knob is much appreciated.

Not having owned other digital synths, it's quite a novelty to sweep through a wide range of timbres with one voice knob. That just can't be done easily in analog gear where at most you'll get say, a blend knob for two different waveforms. That being said I found the voice knob for the string section to have too much crossover from one sound to the next. I'd prefer if neighboring voices that are octaves apart not blend into each other so much. For example the super low octave of the Brass is still present well into the Organ zone which is an octave higher.

I quickly became unsatisfied with the raw signal and found it was complimented by a guitar amp and/or simple eq unit.

Koekepan
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Koekepan » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:03 pm

onthebandwagon wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:42 am

I’m thinking of pairing it with a Novation Circuit for the time being. On the waiting list for the Osmose so I figure I’ll wait for that for keyboard use. Do you know if it responds to aftertouch?
I believe that the answer is "no" but it has a few parameters that are tweakable by MIDI CC, so you may be able to link those to a controller's aftertouch.

Return to “General Gear”