Waldorf Streichfett?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

kisielk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kisielk » Mon May 11, 2015 4:47 pm

The new firmware was just released at the end of April, so the video would be with the old one...

DiscoDevil
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DiscoDevil » Tue May 12, 2015 7:42 am

I sold mine. The release notes on the latest OS update said that it addresses sound quality issues but doesn't go in to detail.

spacenoodle
Veteran Wiggler

Post by spacenoodle » Thu May 14, 2015 1:15 am

I picked one up recently that was still running the old version. It sounded like a cheap compressor was trying really hard to bring the volume down when a lot of notes were played. It was most prominent with the reverb on full. Since getting the update the problem is gone.

I noticed there is no full 128 note polyphony at all. I think it tops out at 10 notes. If I hold more than ten notes down I get nothing further in the string section. I didn't test this before I did the update but it sure isn't 128 note as claimed. Maybe that's how they fixed the distortion? Unless there is a problem with mine. Could someone else test it?

In any case it sounds very good. Especially with an Elkorus. The digital ensemble sounds pretty nice but it's nothing in comparison. Also, the Elkorus has filter switches on each of the 3 panned channels that can take the high end off. It sounds great either way though. The digital nature of the Streichfett in fact turns very shimmery through the Elkorus.

kisielk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kisielk » Thu May 14, 2015 10:08 am

I haven't tried that much polyphony, but why would You need it? There's only 128 MIDI notes so you'd have all of them playing at once... It would sound terrible :)

Maybe they count multiple "voices", such as when you have the registration knob turned all the way clockwise and all the instruments are playing at once, and 8va mode, plus the solo section.

grenert
Common Wiggler

Post by grenert » Sun May 17, 2015 9:01 am

128 voices may be extreme, but more than 10 is not unreasonable to expect if 128 is claimed. Also, if there are any releasing sounds, those count as voices, too, even of you're no longer holding the key.

On an unrelated (but still Streichfett) note, can you get a similar stringer simulatioj with a ROMpler and a good chorus? Some people claim an important part of the vintage string sound is that the oscillators are all running in sync with one another, rather than free-running. Apparently the Streichfett also has synced oscillators. I would expect a ROMpler to behave in a similar way, and there would be lots of basic waveforms to choose from.

felixer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by felixer » Sun May 17, 2015 10:00 am

kisielk wrote:I haven't tried that much polyphony, but why would You need it? There's only 128 MIDI notes so you'd have all of them playing at once... It would sound terrible :)
well, that's your opinion. composers like cowell, ligeti or xenakis thought differently ... for me it was a selling point to be able to do big clusters. recently noticed the difference between 64 and 100 voice polyphony while playing a piano patch on the computer vs my older hardware unit ...
if they advertise it, it should be there ... anybody else tested this? only 10 voices would def be a dealbreaker for me ...
don't need midi, don't need keys, just want knobs and cables (all together now ;-)

spacenoodle
Veteran Wiggler

Post by spacenoodle » Mon May 18, 2015 5:07 am

I just discovered this is a limitation of the controller I had tested with, a Roland PC200MKII. Using a Nord Lead, I can lay on it and every note sounds. Without distorting too, pretty amazing.

felixer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by felixer » Mon May 18, 2015 8:09 am

spacenoodle wrote:I just discovered this is a limitation of the controller I had tested with, a Roland PC200MKII.
really :hmm: :despair:
spacenoodle wrote:Using a Nord Lead, I can lay on it and every note sounds. Without distorting too, pretty amazing.
good to hear :tu:
i'm guessing/hoping that it is possible to assign an external controller to the 'registration' knob? with 2 hands on the keys and 1 foot on a pedal it could be a nice 'cloudgenerator' :hyper:

bit disappointing to see yet another product that needs a software update to fix bugs after it's release ... seems to become the norm :mad:
esp nasty as every manufecturer assumes you have a recent computer and internet access. and one of the reasons for buying hardware is to eliminate that need ...
don't need midi, don't need keys, just want knobs and cables (all together now ;-)

DiscoDevil
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DiscoDevil » Mon May 18, 2015 11:58 am

felixer wrote: i'm guessing/hoping that it is possible to assign an external controller to the 'registration' knob? with 2 hands on the keys and 1 foot on a pedal it could be a nice 'cloudgenerator' :hyper:

bit disappointing to see yet another product that needs a software update to fix bugs after it's release ... seems to become the norm :mad:
esp nasty as every manufecturer assumes you have a recent computer and internet access. and one of the reasons for buying hardware is to eliminate that need ...
I don't believe that was possible. There is pretty limited midi control over everything.

kisielk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kisielk » Tue May 19, 2015 12:31 am

DiscoDevil wrote:
felixer wrote: i'm guessing/hoping that it is possible to assign an external controller to the 'registration' knob? with 2 hands on the keys and 1 foot on a pedal it could be a nice 'cloudgenerator' :hyper:

I don't believe that was possible. There is pretty limited midi control over everything.
According to the manual (page 21) it's CC70 for registration. All the controls on the front panel are available via CC's...

DiscoDevil
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DiscoDevil » Tue May 19, 2015 4:58 am

kisielk wrote:
DiscoDevil wrote:

According to the manual (page 21) it's CC70 for registration. All the controls on the front panel are available via CC's...
I believe that allows you to set the octave but the registration is not sweepable as far as I recall.

DiscoDevil
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DiscoDevil » Tue May 19, 2015 5:00 am

I think the animate function lets you sweep around within a section but not full range.

felixer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by felixer » Wed May 20, 2015 10:50 am

bit confusing :confused: in the appendix there are seperate cc no's for 'string registration' and 'string octaves' ... anybody try this yet? seems such a waste to have the most expressive/unique knob not externally controllable :hmm:

Cat-A-Tonic
Lobsters love Muff

Post by Cat-A-Tonic » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:43 pm

Just got a Streichfett, and loving the sounds so far.

I have played a Roland Paraphonic RS-505,
and it's not the same of course.

...but the Streichfett scratches that itch in a more convenient package.

Zube
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Zube » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:44 am

Cat-A-Tonic wrote:Just got a Streichfett, and loving the sounds so far.

I have played a Roland Paraphonic RS-505,
and it's not the same of course.

...but the Streichfett scratches that itch in a more convenient package.
Do you think it's a suitable replacement for a rs-202,505, rs-09, etc?

For recording, not live. I'm on the fence as to getting a Streichfett vs a vintage string synth. The plus is midi, the negative is the almost-there thickness. Basing it all on videos as Streichfett is tough to try in person in these parts, and I do have some time playing the Arps, Crumars, Elkas, Roland, etc. Just gunshy as I'd rather buy one synth, than try one, have to sell it, find a vintage one in good shape, and any opinions help, especially if the firmware update is significant to the tone/polyphony. A/b-ing YouTube videos only gets you so far.

calaveras
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by calaveras » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:38 pm

I've had mine for about 4 months now and done a few recordings with it. I like the choir sound a lot more than I thought I would (I blame Popul Vuh). The previous comments about not enough high frequency energy are spot on. I feel like it is emulating not just a 70s stringer, but a recorded on analog tape and mixed down through a farty old desk analog string sound.
It really nails a lot of Cure, Numan, Joy Division sounds. I swear that they sat there A-B-ing with a bunch of early 80's synthpop, and new wave stuff.
I do wish it was a bit more on the icy treble side for at least one sound. I've ended up doing some drastic mid cuts to get where I want it to be most of the time.

Love the preset system.
Love the stereo, wish there was a way to put solo voice and strings on isolated outs though.

Zube
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Zube » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:42 am

calaveras wrote:I've had mine for about 4 months now and done a few recordings with it. I like the choir sound a lot more than I thought I would (I blame Popul Vuh). The previous comments about not enough high frequency energy are spot on. I feel like it is emulating not just a 70s stringer, but a recorded on analog tape and mixed down through a farty old desk analog string sound.
It really nails a lot of Cure, Numan, Joy Division sounds. I swear that they sat there A-B-ing with a bunch of early 80's synthpop, and new wave stuff.
I do wish it was a bit more on the icy treble side for at least one sound. I've ended up doing some drastic mid cuts to get where I want it to be most of the time.

Love the preset system.
Love the stereo, wish there was a way to put solo voice and strings on isolated outs though.
Thanks so much Calaveras, this helps a lot. Big Popul Vuh fan here for a long time, and this is definitely the style and vocabulary of tones I'm after. I usually use Mellotron to get those choirs but good to know the Streichfett choirs are usable, and get me further out of the box. Going for dark and thick side of things. This helps so much. Cheers!

choice_of_meat
Common Wiggler

Post by choice_of_meat » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:56 pm

I have mine and I really really wish it had a sustain pedal input.. or infinite release time... SO many people use strings synths this way!
I am trying to figure out how to send it a sustain pedal via midi.... but arghh..

bitbin
Common Wiggler

Post by bitbin » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:11 pm

choice_of_meat wrote:I have mine and I really really wish it had a sustain pedal input.. or infinite release time... SO many people use strings synths this way!
I am trying to figure out how to send it a sustain pedal via midi.... but arghh..
Maybe try a Max 4 Live device?

grenert
Common Wiggler

Post by grenert » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:27 pm

choice_of_meat wrote:I have mine and I really really wish it had a sustain pedal input.. or infinite release time... SO many people use strings synths this way!
MIDI controller 64 according the the manual.

davydka
Common Wiggler

Post by davydka » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:44 pm

kisielk wrote:I haven't tried that much polyphony, but why would You need it? There's only 128 MIDI notes so you'd have all of them playing at once... It would sound terrible :)

Maybe they count multiple "voices", such as when you have the registration knob turned all the way clockwise and all the instruments are playing at once, and 8va mode, plus the solo section.
Unless you're going for that "black midi" sound, which would be awesome on a streichfett!

[video][/video]

ugokcen
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ugokcen » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:58 am

Hi guys,

I'm considering getting the streichfett - I love the sounds I hear in the demos so far - but I just can't work out how the midi out port functions. Does it appear as a separate midi port in your DAW? If you were to connect an external module to the midi out could you sequence it with your computer?

Basically I have some old pre-usb midi gear lying around that I was thinking of reviving, so if I can do that in addition to the wonderful sounds in Streichfett it would be a great bonus :party:

The manual does not say anything about DAW integration so I thought I would ask some users for feedback. How does it appear in your DAW when it is connected via USB? Can you adress the USB and DIN midi separately?

Thanks!

WIZARDISHUNGRY
Common Wiggler

Post by WIZARDISHUNGRY » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:18 pm

unless I'm an idiot, the midi out doesn't do midi through at all… i.e. if I have it in a chain ahead of my mfb 522 the mfb 522 doesn't get upstream clock or notes

Seanc
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Seanc » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:33 am

I am really thinking seriously about one of these and or a blofeld.
But it has been mentioned that this is just in many ways a paired down blofeld.

That said, are there patches for the blofeld that give the same sounds/functionality?

rockmanrock
Common Wiggler

Post by rockmanrock » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:12 am

Seanc wrote:I am really thinking seriously about one of these and or a blofeld.
But it has been mentioned that this is just in many ways a paired down blofeld.

That said, are there patches for the blofeld that give the same sounds/functionality?
I had a Blofeld for a while. You can get string synth patches using the comb filter with some LFO modulation. It sounds alright but I think the polyphony got cut down. The general Blofeld tone didn't do much for me though. I suspect that a basic saw patch from whatever through a good analogue chorus would be more like a real string synth.

Return to “General Gear”