Waldorf Streichfett?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Post Reply
Seanc
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:02 pm
Location: WORCESTER, ma

Post by Seanc » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:24 pm

rockmanrock wrote:
Seanc wrote:I am really thinking seriously about one of these and or a blofeld.
But it has been mentioned that this is just in many ways a paired down blofeld.

That said, are there patches for the blofeld that give the same sounds/functionality?
I had a Blofeld for a while. You can get string synth patches using the comb filter with some LFO modulation. It sounds alright but I think the polyphony got cut down. The general Blofeld tone didn't do much for me though. I suspect that a basic saw patch from whatever through a good analogue chorus would be more like a real string synth.
So..... I am taking your answer to mean, no? The Streichfett is enough of its own thing that the blofeld really does not do Streichfett easily or effectively?

User avatar
RickKleffel
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 290
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:39 pm

Post by RickKleffel » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:55 pm

Well you had me at Gary Numan & Joy Division. And from what I can suss by what's been written here, it sounds like a nice, purpose-built synthesis platform for the string/organ/choir/pad world. And for not too much more than the average pedal these days. [The average pedal does a lot that it never did before, so not to knock it.] The bottom line is always the sound; if it sounds good, it must be right. They apparently have them at Robotspeak in SF. Perhaps a visit is in order. My next trip to SoCal demands a visit to Noisebug & Perfect Circuit. It's beyond GAs and gone to TAS. What fun!

User avatar
Christopher Winkels
Lord of Tweed Manor
Posts: 4459
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 6:53 pm
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster

Post by Christopher Winkels » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:28 pm

Seanc wrote:
rockmanrock wrote:
Seanc wrote:I am really thinking seriously about one of these and or a blofeld.
But it has been mentioned that this is just in many ways a paired down blofeld.

That said, are there patches for the blofeld that give the same sounds/functionality?
I had a Blofeld for a while. You can get string synth patches using the comb filter with some LFO modulation. It sounds alright but I think the polyphony got cut down. The general Blofeld tone didn't do much for me though. I suspect that a basic saw patch from whatever through a good analogue chorus would be more like a real string synth.
So..... I am taking your answer to mean, no? The Streichfett is enough of its own thing that the blofeld really does not do Streichfett easily or effectively?
I've had both and they're very different units. Possibly you could brute force a Streichfett's string sound with a Blofeld, but it would benefit from external processing in that case (a Roland SDX-330's Ensemble effect is brilliant for this). But in that case any synth capable of spitting out detuned sawtooths will get you there just as easily.

Koekepan
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 494
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:50 pm
Location: PNW

Post by Koekepan » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:01 pm

Breaking news: New data on Waldorf Streichfett!

It sounds TERRIBLE, it's hideously FRAGILE, and completely REDUNDANT with anything else you might have. It's just taking up space and electricity!

If you have the misfortune to be afflicted with a Waldorf Streichfett, you should wrap it carefully, package it securely, and send it to Koekepan Streichfett Disposal Services at once for safe, environmentally friendly management.

Thank you - your nation and humanity appreciate your care.

rockmanrock
Common Wiggler
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:46 pm

Post by rockmanrock » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:53 pm

Seanc wrote:So..... I am taking your answer to mean, no? The Streichfett is enough of its own thing that the blofeld really does not do Streichfett easily or effectively?
I've not used one but it sounds like the Streichfett does a better job at the string synth stuff, and hopefully with greater polyphony and a nice interface. I would go the real string synth or good analogue chorus route though.

User avatar
Blairio
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1732
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:50 pm
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Post by Blairio » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:44 am

The streichfett is pretty good, let down by a lack of modulation speed control, and a certain digital coldness. That can be fixed with fx, and there may be a trimpot to adjust the modulation speed to your own preference. It has *full* polyphony, and for the price has a fairly decent go of capturing the classic string machine vibe. It is niche product though, and not to everyone's taste.

User avatar
Chopper
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 632
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:17 am
Location: London

Post by Chopper » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:18 am

Blairio wrote:...and there may be a trimpot to adjust the modulation speed to your own preference...
Well, no, being fully digital...

The synthesist in me agrees with the need to have more control on the fx section and so on, but on the other hand, the streichfett is all about being played, not being tweaked...
It is amazing at what it does, but again, it is important to keep in mind that it sounds like a string machine we are used to hear, and by that i mean "EQed" and precessed, not the full range in-your-face sound you might get if you plug one straight out into the amp. You won't get the low-ends with the streichfett. But this is not necessarly a bad thing. Again, it is a player's instrument. A bass arpeggio running on your minibrute/microbrute, your favourite keyboard plugged into the streichfett, and you are going all Betlin school faster than the time it takes to say "Klaus Schulze"...

User avatar
RickKleffel
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 290
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:39 pm

Post by RickKleffel » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:32 am

Chopper wrote: ....plugged into the streichfett, and you are going all Betlin school faster than the time it takes to say "Klaus Schulze"...
Oh come on! Klaus Schulze, Gary Numan, Joy Division. What are you, Streichfett salesman?!?!?!?!?

User avatar
Blairio
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1732
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:50 pm
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Post by Blairio » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:08 am

RickKleffel wrote:
Chopper wrote: ....plugged into the streichfett, and you are going all Betlin school faster than the time it takes to say "Klaus Schulze"...
Oh come on! Klaus Schulze, Gary Numan, Joy Division. What are you, Streichfett salesman?!?!?!?!?
.... and not forgetting all those amazing disco hits, such as 'You Make Me Feel Mighty Real', by Sylvester, electro classics by Jean Michelle Jarre, and a string (pardon the pun) of prog rock standards. Go Streichfett!

Koekepan
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 494
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:50 pm
Location: PNW

Post by Koekepan » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:35 pm

Blairio wrote:The streichfett is pretty good, let down by a lack of modulation speed control, and a certain digital coldness. That can be fixed with fx, and there may be a trimpot to adjust the modulation speed to your own preference. It has *full* polyphony, and for the price has a fairly decent go of capturing the classic string machine vibe. It is niche product though, and not to everyone's taste.
I may be fooling myself, but the Streichfett modulation rate does appear to match a MIDI clock rate. (This observed when driving it from my Engine.)

User avatar
WaveRider
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1638
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:08 pm
Location: Montreal

Post by WaveRider » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:43 pm

I like mine, but as someone said it does not fit in all tracks.

But, it fits in my style of music well overall. I can get string sounds as good or better with my Prophet08 and lexicon multifx. It frees my synths from pad duties and its convenient for me.

Sometimes it sounds way too big but you can program more subtle sounds.
Got it used did not pay a high price for it so overall excellent purchase.

featuring it:
https://soundcloud.com/soleil-vert/regrets

https://soundcloud.com/soleil-vert/separation

calaveras
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3495
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:02 pm

Post by calaveras » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:10 pm

Its funny that some of you guys are knocking it as cold and digital.
One of my complaints is that sometimes I want a fragile, icy, tears streaming down my face as I bury my twin sister in a fjord kind of feeling.
And the Streich is coming on all Höffbräu rosy cheeked schmaltz.

Technologear?
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 287
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:08 am
Location: Straya

Post by Technologear? » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:01 pm

Chopper wrote: You won't get the low-ends with the streichfett. But this is not necessarly a bad thing. Again, it is a player's instrument. A bass arpeggio running on your minibrute/microbrute, your favourite keyboard plugged into the streichfett, and you are going all Betlin school faster than the time it takes to say "Klaus Schulze"...
Bass- I just record multiple passes of my string lines at different octaves, and adjust relative volumes of each track ITB. There was some criticism early after its release regarding the relative volumes of higher octaves Vs lower, which they improved in a firmware update I recall, but I still prefer the flexibility to balance things more precisely.
Berlin school- absolutely. And the opening of "I feel love" OMG that was transcendental for me.

Overall- it's a love it or hate it synth. If you like retro schmultzy string synth sounds you'll love it, don't hesitate. If you're undecided, don't care much for this style of pad sound, and want your music to sound completely modern, then get something else.
It's sounds are unavoidably from the past (late 70s-80s), which for many like me is exactly what I want, thus the right tool for the job.

User avatar
thevegasnerve
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1051
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:02 pm
Location: Colorado, USA
Contact:

Post by thevegasnerve » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:18 pm

Got a chance to finally sit down and play my Streichfett. I didn't care a lot for the string side, but it was interesting and I could see how others could really dig it. I think not having enough control over modulation and filter was sortof a downer.

Now the mono side really surprised me with how nice it sounded. It really had a nice punch and when blended with the reverb (which sounds outstanding) sounded excellent. The Pluto and epiano's were my favorite, but I was getting nice sounds throughout. Blending a little of the string side was fun. Not sure if its worth keeping though just for the mono sounds when I can probably come close with other mono synths. Most likely sell this one.

User avatar
chvad
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3291
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:23 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Contact:

Post by chvad » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:41 pm

"If you like retro schmultzy string synth sounds you'll love it"

I dunno. I REALLY love string synths. I wound up selling the ones I had (RS-09 and Crumar Performer) due to having parted ways with most of my vintage gear for fear of it all eventually dying (foolish thing to do btw) and while I'd LOVE to have a modern stringer I think the Streichfett really misses the mark for me. Sure it sounds like it's the same ballpark but there def something missing that keeps me from adding it to the studio.

calaveras
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3495
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:02 pm

Post by calaveras » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:02 am

I kind of think the something missing on the Streichfett is sheen.
The sound it is aiming for, and that a lot of us are imagining in our heads, are the stringer tones off of numerous 70's and 80's albums.
Those were recorded on tape, then mixed down to tape.
They had a chance to EQ the top end twice.
They may also have used compression, or done the Dolby trick.
(that is where you use dolby to compand the signal and get an airy treble, but you don't use the dolby decode to tilt the frequency and dynamics back to normal. Sounds fricken great on vocals, acoustic guitars and stuff).

I gotta say, as much as I like my Streicher, It doesn't like to be aggressively EQed. More than once I was trying to mix something with it, and I got this really bad gritty sound from adding too much treble and notching the mids.

User avatar
chvad
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3291
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:23 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Contact:

Post by chvad » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:43 am

maaaaybe be. I never felt that way with the stringers I had in hand. those just sounded awesome as is!
Last edited by chvad on Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Diabolik!
Common Wiggler
Posts: 250
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:26 pm

Post by Diabolik! » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:12 pm

sounds great run through an external filter with slow modulation. i used to run it though my SEM when I still had it. Ive sold two real analog stringers in the meantime, and kept the Streichfett

rauch
Common Wiggler
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:55 am

Post by rauch » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:50 pm

compared to classic string synths it sounds a little thin on its own. but put through some analog fx it sounds fine in the mix. but tbh i just use it because it‘s small and it has midi but what i‘m really hoping for is for behringer to release the teased vp330 clone!

User avatar
BTS
Common Wiggler
Posts: 139
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:24 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Post by BTS » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:27 pm

rauch wrote:compared to classic string synths it sounds a little thin on its own. but put through some analog fx it sounds fine in the mix. but tbh i just use it because it‘s small and it has midi but what i‘m really hoping for is for behringer to release the teased vp330 clone!
Behringer was teasing a VP330 clone? I saw the big drop they walked back a couple of days ago, but I didn't see the VP330.
My site with links to my work: Box of Tapes Sound Recordings

Twitter @BTS0

rauch
Common Wiggler
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:55 am

Post by rauch » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:16 pm

BTS wrote:
rauch wrote:compared to classic string synths it sounds a little thin on its own. but put through some analog fx it sounds fine in the mix. but tbh i just use it because it‘s small and it has midi but what i‘m really hoping for is for behringer to release the teased vp330 clone!
Behringer was teasing a VP330 clone? I saw the big drop they walked back a couple of days ago, but I didn't see the VP330.
http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2017/ ... oning-now/

User avatar
Howie_Doodat
Common Wiggler
Posts: 140
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:14 am

Post by Howie_Doodat » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:43 am

"but put through some analog fx it sounds fine in the mix"

-you could say this about anything 8-)


that said, I love my Streichfett and think it sounds great on its own or with effects (and of course I EQ everything in the mix either live or for recording) so I get the desired effect regardless.

Seanc
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:02 pm
Location: WORCESTER, ma

Post by Seanc » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:26 pm

I don’t have actual experience with a vp330. But from that video it sounds kind of anemic compared to the Streichfett videos I have seen..
But vocoder functionality would make a one trick pony 8nto a very cool piece.

And I am not against one trick ponies at all. A Rhodes and a Wurlitzer are one trick ponies.. but it’s a hell of a trick.

calaveras
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3495
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:02 pm

Post by calaveras » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:31 pm

hilariously, if you watch this teardown of the Streichfett, it's only 4 chips, and a few accompanying SMT components. It could have fit in a stompbox.
It also appears that the DA is 12bit. Which might explain the crunk.
[video][/video]

rauch
Common Wiggler
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:55 am

Post by rauch » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:01 am

Howie_Doodat wrote:you could say this about anything 8-)
thats true heh

btw wheres your profil picture from?

Post Reply

Return to “General Gear”