Waldorf Streichfett?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Badwhite
Common Wiggler

Post by Badwhite » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:22 pm

It is IMO a softsynth with knobs that aren't particularly lent to manipulating live, unlike the envelopes/filters on a modular... It makes the one sound it makes, but I sold mine and don't regret it. It's a nice sound, but.... $300 can buy me more modules...

calaveras
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by calaveras » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:00 am

very few $300 polyphonic modules I am aware of.

I've got plenty of modular, this is something I keep in addition to to my modular heap. Similar to a Roland SH09. It's not terribly flexible, but it's compact and good for certain musical tasks. Are there better things out there undoubtedly. But not a lot at this price point.

WaveRider
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by WaveRider » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:47 am

calaveras wrote:hilariously, if you watch this teardown of the Streichfett, it's only 4 chips, and a few accompanying SMT components. It could have fit in a stompbox.
It also appears that the DA is 12bit. Which might explain the crunk.
yeah funny as hell, but did not prevent me from buying one. It is not the kind of stuff I usually buy :roll: ...wtf about the 12 bit DA, maybe it sounds better with it....?

...anyway it sounds digital but it is a modeled string machine with midi, can't play well anyway so better for me than the Paraphonic 505 I used to have.
But someone should make an analog one, I would rather have a basic analog sound and use outboard fx. with few cv ins that would be great! ..hope it is possible to make.

chvad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chvad » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:07 pm

Yeah... if someone made an analog divide down stringer with separate envelopes per voice and a good analog ensemble chorus I'd pay a decent bit for that.

thevegasnerve
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thevegasnerve » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:23 pm

I spent some more time with my Streichfett and have to agree that an analog version would be nice. I like the Streichfett but it's limitations are frustrating at times. I get that it is what it is. It has a few sweet spots though which are real nice, on the poly and mono side. Adding some modulation thru my controller adds a lot to the mono side. I am going to keep exploring it as the form factor is great. I see it coming in handy for the right song.

felixer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by felixer » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:10 am

just bough one ... secondhand. it's not here yet, but if it can make anything like this old 'berlinschool' 'string/choir' thing it's in!
easy enough to 'lofi' it if it sounds too modern.
EDIT: has arrived a few weeks back. like it a lot. instant schulze. esp with some sq/arp going on. it doesn't do the mellotron sound (too clean!) but there a many other vocal/formant-type sounds. it sounds pretty digital because of that but that fine by me. easy enough to make it darker.
btw you can use it to drive an ehx mel9 pedal with it. that does some nice mellotron sounds. but doesn't have any inputs for control. it's all derived from the input signal. basically made for guitars it works well on any sound. also any sort of cheasy keyboard. pretty cheap too ...
Last edited by felixer on Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
don't need midi, don't need keys, just want knobs and cables (all together now ;-)

Man-In-A-Suitcase

Post by Man-In-A-Suitcase » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:17 am

appearing at NAMM this month, Waldorf STVC, basically it's their version of the VP-330 (or a streichfett with a mic and a keyboard attached). It's technically a VA and a overpriced one at that, supposedly $899.

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2018/ ... k-preview/

felixer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by felixer » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:31 am

calaveras wrote:hilariously, if you watch this teardown of the Streichfett, it's only 4 chips, and a few accompanying SMT components. It could have fit in a stompbox.
It also appears that the DA is 12bit. Which might explain the crunk.
[video][/video]
yeah, surprisingly empty box. quite a relief from those old stringers/polysynths 8-) (the more parts there are the more things can go wrong)
as for 12bit: isn't that what most are after nowadays? something old ... even if it is more 80ies then 60ies.
don't need midi, don't need keys, just want knobs and cables (all together now ;-)

sloth713
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sloth713 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:57 am

Ok so all the demos of the STVC sound noticeably better than the Streichfett demos, anyone know what's up? Does the STVC have better DAC/ADC/some other hardware, did they tweeak the firmware, or are the recordings just better? Or I am being psychologically fooled some how? :hmm:

WaveRider
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by WaveRider » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:54 am

sloth713 wrote:Ok so all the demos of the STVC sound noticeably better than the Streichfett demos, anyone know what's up? Does the STVC have better DAC/ADC/some other hardware, did they tweeak the firmware, or are the recordings just better? Or I am being psychologically fooled some how? :hmm:
nick from sonicstate said the same... could be better converters

chvad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chvad » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:32 am

it really does seem to sound better to my ears as well.

moogboy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by moogboy » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:47 pm

sloth713 wrote:Ok so all the demos of the STVC sound noticeably better than the Streichfett demos, anyone know what's up? Does the STVC have better DAC/ADC/some other hardware, did they tweeak the firmware, or are the recordings just better? Or I am being psychologically fooled some how? :hmm:
I did a lot of the demos from NAMM, and I also found it sounded drastically different-like stupidly better in my opinion. Didn't get the chance to ask the Waldorf cats about why that was the case (we were swamped to fuck all with Quantum interest) but I'm inclined to believe that there's not a ton of difference. Maybe it comes from the effects? I felt a lot more inclined to use them on the STVC since they are significantly more tweakable than on the regular Streichfett and deadass, they sounded GOOD. little bit of animate, a dash of phaser, a sprinkling of reverb and ka diddly BOOM instant krautrock/disco/ambient jams. Also having some expression parameters instantly accessible on the front panel is nice for creating patches that sound good and make use of the sounds in between the cracks that sound fresh because it's a wavetable synth. It's got a quirky interface and it's meant to do something obtuse but it's not copying analog circuits, it's giving you an extension of what the analog circuits did through an interesting application of Waldorf wavetable trickery

WaveRider
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by WaveRider » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:10 am

moogboy wrote:Waldorf wavetable trickery
interesting... I was thinking it was some kind of modeling... makes sense

Howie_Doodat
Common Wiggler

Post by Howie_Doodat » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:24 am

i seem to run into a lot of people that don't think to use those little usb wall charger bricks on their 'USB only' hardware so they can get away from the computer.

Hermetech Mastering
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Hermetech Mastering » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:46 am

Been wanting something that can do a decent Syntorchestra emulation, interested in the STVC. Hopefully get a play on one soon.

Thorsday
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Thorsday » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:16 am

i want a STVC so badly, it hertz.

Technologear?
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Technologear? » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:13 am

Has anyone here who have/had the original desktop version of the streichfett upgraded to the stvc? I would love to hear the differences between them from someone who knows them both. No stores in my area stock the stvc, and I love my desktop streichfett so could be tempted....

Hermetech Mastering
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Hermetech Mastering » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:28 am

It's still not available as far as I know. Every few weeks Thomann push back the release/availability date by another few weeks, been like that for nearly a year now. The synth that never was...

calaveras
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by calaveras » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:24 am

I'm thinking of getting one of the STVC as well.
Mostly I'd like to see if it sounds better than the Streichfett. But also because I like having dedicated units, and not have to yell at my controller/midi interface/computer when the sound isn't coming out. Nothing wrecks creativity faster than troubleshooting.

spacenoodle
Veteran Wiggler

Post by spacenoodle » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:19 am

I played along with one of the demos, copying the notes and settings. Maybe I'm missing something but it sounds the same to me. No complaints at all - I love the Steichfett. I will grab one of these and ditch the box when they are available.

Feinstrom
Common Wiggler

Post by Feinstrom » Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:48 am

Technologear? wrote:Has anyone here who have/had the original desktop version of the streichfett upgraded to the stvc? I would love to hear the differences between them from someone who knows them both.
I have the Streichfett, and I have played the STVC at Musikmesse this spring.
Yes, the STVC sounds cleaner than Streichfett, maybe silkier, smoother, whatever you may call it; I was told by a Waldorf guy that they have improved the engine, not sure what that may mean exactly.
I haven't upgraded to a STVC, and I won't, for several reasons:
1). place (I have only a limited space available and plenty of MIDI keyboards)
2.) I don't need another vocoder
3.) the STVC's sound is more synthesizer-ish than string-ish, as opposed to the Streichfett, which is a stringer at heart. And I have more than enough poly synths (I have more than enough stringers as well, but that's a differen story...).

I said it before, and I'll say it again: The Streichfett is (for my needs and taste) the perfect modern approach at a stringer. Not a clone and different-sounding, but it inhabits the same ecological niche. The STVC tries to be a stringer, a synthesizer and a vocoder, which is simply too much for me. Jack of all trades, master of none (if that's the correct saying...).
Maybe I should get a second Streichfett for EVEN MOAR layering (try layering the Streichfett with a very basic analog pad sound to give it a fundament - AMAZING!)...

BTW: I had purchased the Streichfett with the intention of running it through my Schulte phaser and some great reverb, but it turned out that the internal FX are either good enough or simply perfectly matched, so in the end I just use it without any external sweetening (I had a similar experience with the Reface YC organ - different story, again).

Cheers,
Bert

Technologear?
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Technologear? » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:49 pm

Feinstrom wrote:
Technologear? wrote:Has anyone here who have/had the original desktop version of the streichfett upgraded to the stvc? I would love to hear the differences between them from someone who knows them both.
I have the Streichfett, and I have played the STVC at Musikmesse this spring.
Yes, the STVC sounds cleaner than Streichfett, maybe silkier, smoother, whatever you may call it;....
I said it before, and I'll say it again: The Streichfett is (for my needs and taste) the perfect modern approach at a stringer. Not a clone and different-sounding, but it inhabits the same ecological niche.
Cheers,
Bert
Thank you Bert, that helped me realise that I agree with you. I love my little stringer and even if the new version sounds 'improved', I don't want or need that improvement. Nor do I need another keybed. GAS suppressed, cheers.

I now want to layer my Streichfett with my OB6 that I just got. Thats going to sound epic...

1986Bowler
Common Wiggler

Post by 1986Bowler » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:01 pm

I got a Streichfett a while back- I love it. It has sounds that just make me happy playing it- gets the creative juices flowing.

Form factor is a little weird, but I guess the spacing of everything is ergonomic. I ended up making a set of legs for it make it a little more friendly.

When I saw the STVC- oh, man. I've been humming and hawing about getting a vocoder, and the fact that it has the strings as well. But, it will have to wait- it's getting in line behind modular gear, and they don't seem to have a big presence in the Canada- I see Intellimix as the only distributor.

rowsbywoof
Ultra Wiggler

Post by rowsbywoof » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:57 pm

Sweetwater has had this for a pre-order forever, as well. Wonder what the holdup is. It definitely occupies a nice place in a very niche market, and giving the 'Fett a Blofeld like treatment is fine by me. Here's hoping they actually come out.

Happyanimal
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Happyanimal » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:56 pm

rowsbywoof wrote:Sweetwater has had this for a pre-order forever, as well. Wonder what the holdup is. It definitely occupies a nice place in a very niche market, and giving the 'Fett a Blofeld like treatment is fine by me. Here's hoping they actually come out.
The hold up is the quantum I assume. Be thankful you’re not in that line. :deadbanana:

Return to “General Gear”