Looking for a cheap(ish) hardware sampler for drums

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

digable-me
Veteran Wiggler

Looking for a cheap(ish) hardware sampler for drums

Post by digable-me » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:02 pm

I've decided that when it comes to programming drums I can't do without my enormous sample packs of older drum machines. I do it all in the box at the moment but I'd love to be able to play live without a computer (I don't have a laptop anyhow). So I'm looking for a sampler, hopefully under £500, that has enough memory for a lot of samples, has a good, useable sequencer, ideally having a few assignable outputs, some basic EQs and effects, with the ability to send and receive Din.

Should I be looking for an MPC 1000, or another MPC? Is there anything else?

Any help appreciated.

leeski
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by leeski » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:09 pm

i'd get an Ensoniq ASR-X
got great fx
http://www.vintagesynth.com/ensoniq/asrx.php
«:::A:::» «:::W:::» «:::E:::» «:::S:::» «:::O:::» «:::M:::» «:::E:::»

digable-me
Veteran Wiggler

Post by digable-me » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:18 pm

Thanks for the response. Why would you go for the Ensoniq?

Anor
Common Wiggler

Post by Anor » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:18 pm

Roland SP-404SX has most of those features. No DIN but it has MIDI in.

leeski
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by leeski » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:26 pm

digable-me wrote:Thanks for the response. Why would you go for the Ensoniq?
it's cheap for what you get and it would sound sweet, i really liked the EPS+
«:::A:::» «:::W:::» «:::E:::» «:::S:::» «:::O:::» «:::M:::» «:::E:::»

digable-me
Veteran Wiggler

Post by digable-me » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:27 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. Is full on drum sequencing really possible on the SP-404? I'm thinking 8 or so voices, up to 64 steps, swing, switching between patterns live, that sort of thing.

Mancy bean
Common Wiggler

Post by Mancy bean » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:49 pm

electribe esx. pick one up easy used. pretty much meets all your criteria plus adored by millions, well, nearly.

digable-me
Veteran Wiggler

Post by digable-me » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:18 pm

Hmmm. The ESX looks pretty great. Seems pretty obviously set out and easy to use, and has all the basic features.

Do you know if switching patterns live is possible / instant?

edit: answering my own question - yes, just saw someone do it in a youtube vid.

CF3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Looking for a cheap(ish) hardware sampler for drums

Post by CF3 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:34 pm

digable-me wrote:Should I be looking for an MPC 1000
You should definitely be looking at an MPC-1000. I see them for under 500 all the time. They have USB transfer of 44.1kHz/16bit wav samples or CF card. JJ OS is a must. Make sure you get a black one (not the blue one!). Lots of ppl use MPC's for live work.

digable-me
Veteran Wiggler

Post by digable-me » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:55 pm

Yeah, looking into the ESX more thoroughly it looks like a right pain to get all my samples into it, and the amount it can hold is pretty poor. I guess times have just changed. The MPCs sample transfer over USB seems dreamy by comparison.

Do you know how much I could fit on an MPC1000?

What is the JJ OS all about?

Why get the black one over the blue one? Are they different?

Thanks for all the help everyone! I've never owned any older gear so there are a few new (to me) concepts to wrap my head around.

CF3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by CF3 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:12 pm

The amount of samples depends on 1.)how much RAM memory (128 mb is the max) and 2.) how big your storage is. MPC1000s can be fitted with an internal hard drive (can be up to something like 128gb). There's also a compact flash slot on the front. You could hold thousands of kits on a 16gb cf card.

JJ OS is a third party paid-for Operating System that transforms the machine. Totally incredible. Adds lots of sequencer, sampler and controller features. There's also a free "lite" version.

The blue 1000s have problems with the pads. You can fix them by upgrading the sensors from MPCstuff.com, but it easier to just get a black one and avoid all of that.

Lots of info on here about MPC's if you do a search.
Last edited by CF3 on Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

aksen
Ultra Wiggler

Post by aksen » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:37 pm

CF3 wrote:JJ OS is a third party paid-for Operating System that transforms the machine. Totally incredible. Adds lots of sequencer, sampler and controller features. There's also a free "lite" version.
yep, getting an mpc1000 and not getting some version of JJOS is totally pointless. it's just so much better.

on the pads front - my mpc has the "crappy" pads, but i find them fine to use. i wouldn't consider it a deal breaker (though having said that, i will one day upgrade mine when i also buy the XL screen for the 1000).

colorbars
Wiggling with Experience

Post by colorbars » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:51 pm

I'm still using an electribe es-1, works great for me :despair:
You can usually pick them up for less than $150

sydilaxe
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sydilaxe » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:13 am

Roland Varios is an interesting option. You can get them for around 200.00. You can map drums on a single program or split them across 6 midi channels. Plus it has COSM effects and a digital output.

digable-me
Veteran Wiggler

Post by digable-me » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:28 am

Thanks everyone! I picked up an MPC 1000 from a fellow forum guy yesterday. It's the blue one, and two of the pads are a bit dodgy, but I'm not planning on playing it like Araabmusik anyway.

Anyhow, it sounds fantastic. There's quite a lot of set up to do but now that I'm nearly done I can see that I'll be able to run a whole live set off this thing. I can just have one sequence and loads of different tracks with different perc sounds and bring them in and out over the course of the set.

Now I need to wrap my head around the midi sequencing side of things. Just got a Juno 106 yesterday in a trade and looking forward to sequencing it with the MPC.

Thanks again y'all.

aksen
Ultra Wiggler

Post by aksen » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:17 pm

did it come with JJOS?

digable-me
Veteran Wiggler

Post by digable-me » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:57 am

Yep. JJOS1. I've pretty much worked it all out now. It's almost instantly become the heart of my setup. Now I want a Yarns to get the modular completely under MPC control.

wednesdayayay
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wednesdayayay » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:34 pm

I'm excited to see what comes of the mpx16
sh is the sound of data
bobo is the gesture

PB

tron23
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tron23 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:40 pm

2000XL is another great alternative especially if you can find one cheap, the fx board and/or extra outputs might also prove handy!

tragedybysyntax
Banned until Restitution Made

Post by tragedybysyntax » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:10 pm

Just acquired the MPC 2000 and it's fkn incredible... can get the upgraded one for a couple hundred bucks and trust me... limitations yes but you will be more productive and the sequencer / pads are worth it ALONE.

I've done software... thought about the octatrack.... I choose mpc 2k old school edition. >=)
- [ Custom Metalwork ] -

Suburban Bather
Miami Flesh

Post by Suburban Bather » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:19 pm

Beware of blue mpc's rehoused in black cases! I got one and it was the first and last mpc for me. It had the jjos. I dumped it because I couldn't get my head around it. Too much prep work. I bought a step by step tutorial and it still frustrated me. Too much tedious work to get rolling. I started with Live before diving into hardware. The mpc is an absolute PITA compared to software. That's just my experience though. I watched tons of tutorials, read the manual, and of course the third party guide. The mpc just did not gel with me from the get go. I'm better off with drum machines than hardware samplers. I think software is the way to go for samplers, but that's just my dumb 2 cents. At least the mpc is easy to sell if it doesn't work out for you. I'm recommending it even though it did not work out for me.
Heavy Lids

digable-me
Veteran Wiggler

Post by digable-me » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:26 pm

Suburban Bather wrote:Beware of blue mpc's rehoused in black cases! I got one and it was the first and last mpc for me. It had the jjos. I dumped it because I couldn't get my head around it. Too much prep work. I bought a step by step tutorial and it still frustrated me. Too much tedious work to get rolling. I started with Live before diving into hardware. The mpc is an absolute PITA compared to software. That's just my experience though. I watched tons of tutorials, read the manual, and of course the third party guide. The mpc just did not gel with me from the get go. I'm better off with drum machines than hardware samplers. I think software is the way to go for samplers, but that's just my dumb 2 cents. At least the mpc is easy to sell if it doesn't work out for you. I'm recommending it even though it did not work out for me.
Yeah, it's true about the prep work. But honestly I don't mind it. It means I have all my different kits to hand, named properly and easy to find. I guess I'm a bit of a control freak and I like how organised the MPC allows me to be. It takes all the stress out of the idea of playing live.

tragedybysyntax
Banned until Restitution Made

Post by tragedybysyntax » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:28 pm

MPC hater.... ;)
IT's totally different than software tho. Personally I hate staring at a screen to write music. period. I started from the computer and worked away from it. Surely I will mix from now on at the computer but to arrange and create... hell no. MPC inspires me because i grew up with hip hop and every time I sit down and stare at it, first i kind of giggle because i have to load my samples up first off of my zip drive but then that dissipates and I think about all of the bad asses that sat down in front of this very machine and made some of my favorite music. If i didn't have the inspiration factor working for me... maybe i wouldn't be such a fan boy of it now but.... that's a moot point for me now. I"m hooked like a crackhead and will never look back. I"m actually looking for a ensoniq mirage to sample into first before dumping samples into the mpc ;)
- [ Custom Metalwork ] -

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:15 am

I wanted a hardware sampler as I don't get on with machine, it has no mojo. Push is superb , but not for bashing in drum, great as a step seq though.

So I have wanted to get an su700 since 1999 , I got an sp808 instead.

At last I have hot an su700 with a thumb drive built in. Paid more than I would like, but at least I don't have the headache of fitting a floppy emulation.

Just want it as an effects box and to sequence hits once I have made them in live I will export samples into the su700 to then track back in l :doh:

I just don't get the same grooves in software that I get with a box for some reason.
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

tron23
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tron23 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:44 pm

h4ndcrafted wrote: At last I have hot an su700 with a thumb drive built in.
How do you like your new toy? Is it's internal sequencer capable? I have always found these standalone's lacking in sequencer features and groove except for maybe the 3k which grooves like a *^Â¥$ Can this thing do any special tricks, i recall speedy j was using some of these for live techno improvisation :hmm:

Return to “General Gear”