Tempest vs. RYTM...shoot!

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

James_Fredrickson
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Tempest vs. RYTM...shoot!

Post by James_Fredrickson » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:38 am

https://youtu.be/bGKpjy5eJxU

I don't know about the Tempest, but the Rytm handles samples with ease and plays with loops quite well. Most sounds in this jam are samples layered with the various synth engines.

wickfut
Common Wiggler

Post by wickfut » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:34 am

I did this on my RYTM mk2 the day I got it. Just went crazy with slides and random sample triggers. No structure or anything, just wanted to see if it glitched.

Karl_Joseph
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Karl_Joseph » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:40 am

wickfut wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:34 am
I did this on my RYTM mk2 the day I got it. Just went crazy with slides and random sample triggers. No structure or anything, just wanted to see if it glitched.

Okay, that’s awesome. If you do t mind me asking, those cool “noises” are samples? Then you did parameter slides to the samples? You didn’t use any of the machines for all the glitchy noises? Dude, it’s sounds awesome. Also, if you don’t mind telling me, how did you make the visuals? Thanks!
- KARL

wickfut
Common Wiggler

Post by wickfut » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:56 am

Karl_Joseph wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:40 am
Okay, that’s awesome. If you do t mind me asking, those cool “noises” are samples? Then you did parameter slides to the samples? You didn’t use any of the machines for all the glitchy noises? Dude, it’s sounds awesome. Also, if you don’t mind telling me, how did you make the visuals? Thanks!
I just threw a load of short 1 shot sample banks onto the RYTM mk2 and have no idea which ones, the drums are the analogue parts, the glitchy bits are the samples. The slides were samples, the glitchy parts where IIRC two tracks panned playing at different times and at different settings. Lots of changing forward/reverse , looped and altering the sample length type stuff going on. Also manual muting tracks.

I did it nearly a year ago so memory is vague.

The visuals I found online which I stitched together in Sony Vegas.
Last edited by wickfut on Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

wickfut
Common Wiggler

Post by wickfut » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:57 am

double posty thingy

ObsoleteModular
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ObsoleteModular » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:21 am

This is samples only done entirely in da RYTM. All samples are from banging, shaking, stroking, poking etc etc real world objects

The melodic line is popping my finger out the top of a beer bottle :guinness:

1040df
Learning to Wiggle

Post by 1040df » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:55 pm

James_Fredrickson wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:38 am
https://youtu.be/bGKpjy5eJxU

I don't know about the Tempest, but the Rytm handles samples with ease and plays with loops quite well. Most sounds in this jam are samples layered with the various synth engines.
Nice jam! I think you capture the essence of the Rytm MKII. It is quite intuitive once you understand the fundamental workflow.

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:03 am

wickfut wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:34 am

Great stuff...that kick...

*offtopic*
How are you liking the PSI Audio A25-M?
Almost bought these but ordered the Kii Audio Three instead...they should be here this week (fingers crossed)

wickfut
Common Wiggler

Post by wickfut » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:09 pm

I have a love/hate with the PSI monitors. They can sound absolutely amazing with some music and sound a bit bright with others. They really need to be placed perfectly otherwise they sound a bit thin in my room.

I did have them for sale a few months back but all I got was a load of tire-kickers and no shows. I wouldn't buy them again if given the chance as I originally bought them for midfield listening as a replacement for my hifi. Nearfield is a bit OTT for what I need. I think I'd go for an old pair of JBL LSR 6328p / HEDD20's and a pair of subs if I had to buy some new monitors. (anyone in UK fancy a trade?)

Would love to hear those Kii monitors though, I don't think I've read a bad review of them.

ObsoleteModular
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ObsoleteModular » Sun May 17, 2020 4:19 pm

Stoneyards wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:21 am
as a drummer I immediately bonded with the Rytm mk2. The workflow and superb sequencer made sense immediately, and it's very natural and satisfying to use.

After one evening exploring and reading the manual, I was able to express myself in a pretty authentic way
this ^^^

it's an instrument to be played, i think people who don't get it don't play instruments or don't see tech as instruments

Fentune
Common Wiggler

Post by Fentune » Mon May 18, 2020 9:53 am

Let's talk facts- at default the drum sounds in Tempest kits are positioned on the pads like you're sitting in front of a real kit, so as far as accurate finger drumming, Tempest crushes RYTM- and the pads? -Light years ahead of RYTM. The synth capabilities?- RYTM's is laughable compared to Tempest, and before anyone assumes anything, I use them both.

The only real advantage RYTM has is sample management- that's it, that's all.

ObsoleteModular
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ObsoleteModular » Mon May 18, 2020 10:20 am

Fentune wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 9:53 am
Let's talk facts- at default the drum sounds in Tempest kits are positioned on the pads like you're sitting in front of a real kit, so as far as accurate finger drumming, Tempest crushes RYTM- and the pads? -Light years ahead of RYTM. The synth capabilities?- RYTM's is laughable compared to Tempest, and before anyone assumes anything, I use them both.

you seem confused between facts and opinions/preferences

cheese is often made from milk, is a fact
i like cheese, is a preference
there's something wrong if you don't like cheese, is an opinion (and an obnoxious one at that)

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Mon May 18, 2020 10:21 am

Fentune wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 9:53 am

Opinions aren't facts. But IMO some things the Rytm has over the Tempest
-richer and easier parameter locks/automation
-dedicated clap engine for richer claps
-better data management
-larger memory storage
-more onboard effects integrated with sequencer
-resampling on the MKII, etc.

Both are cool. The Tempest is probably more of a performance tool than the Rytm. I liked the sliders.

Fentune
Common Wiggler

Post by Fentune » Mon May 18, 2020 10:36 am

We'll see which one reaches classic status. The pads on the RYTM are junk- FACT, not opinion. Argue that all day and chase that tail :lol:.

Tempest can do analog drums and sounds much better than RYTM- FACT, not opinion.

Elektron users know the best drum machine Elektron ever made is the Machinedrum SPS UW MKII...try and catch up fellas, if you can. :tu:

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Mon May 18, 2020 11:46 am

Fentune wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 10:36 am
We'll see which one reaches classic status. The pads on the RYTM are junk- FACT, not opinion. Argue that all day and chase that tail :lol:.

Tempest can do analog drums and sounds much better than RYTM- FACT, not opinion.

Elektron users know the best drum machine Elektron ever made is the Machinedrum SPS UW MKII...try and catch up fellas, if you can. :tu:
Your opinion on what facts are is factually incorrect.
Writing a word in all caps doesn't support your case.

The Tempest definitely has 2 more wooden end caps than the Rytm. FACT!

blinosynth
Veteran Wiggler

Post by blinosynth » Mon May 18, 2020 11:48 am

tempest is pita to program Fact,
rytm can easly jump on different drums or kits with seconds Fact,
Tempest or Rymt sound better or worst ... opinions... not Fact!
Tempest doesn't have direct sample Fact,
Tempest can sound like a polysynth ...cool! Fact
Rytm's pads are bad... you are right, Fact
User interface with different pads setting can lead to have an instrument much responsive in live situatuation, Fact!
and so on and on
just an example of facts and opinions!

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Mon May 18, 2020 12:54 pm

blinosynth wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 11:48 am
tempest is pita to program Fact,
rytm can easly jump on different drums or kits with seconds Fact,
Tempest or Rymt sound better or worst ... opinions... not Fact!
Tempest doesn't have direct sample Fact,
Tempest can sound like a polysynth ...cool! Fact
Rytm's pads are bad... you are right, Fact
User interface with different pads setting can lead to have an instrument much responsive in live situatuation, Fact!
and so on and on
just an example of facts and opinions!
Hmmmm...some of those are facts.
Bad vs good and PITA vs easy are value judgments.

I think you’re all just trolling me now. :miley:

chvad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chvad » Tue May 19, 2020 1:43 am

" -dedicated clap engine for richer claps"

Tempest has a ton of envelopes all the with the needed parameters to make fantastic claps.
Just an example:

"tempest is pita to program Fact"
The Tempest is just mad deep. The more under the hood... sometimes it seems like a PITA. It's a trade. Is there another drum machine with as much happening synth wise? In any case.. the Tempest ain't fast to program or setup BUT once it IS setup... it does jam very well.

FACT: My Tempest sat idle a LOT before COVID. Having had the time to dig into it deeper I have a growing appreciation for it. Still... the immediacy of something like the vermona drm is super appealing.

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Tue May 19, 2020 10:57 am

chvad wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 1:43 am
" -dedicated clap engine for richer claps"

Tempest has a ton of envelopes all the with the needed parameters to make fantastic claps.
Ah true. It's been a while since I'd used it. It also has that MIDI delay which can help make it full too.

vnsc
Learning to Wiggle

Post by vnsc » Tue May 19, 2020 12:54 pm

I originally had a Tempest in 2012, and had a pretty good time with it, but sold it after about a year, both because it was insanely buggy at the time and I wanted to fund travel (yeah, I went backpacking in Peru for 2 months with that money :hihi: ) Over a couple years, DSI fixed all the bugs that were issues before, and I considered getting one again with many projects in mind for it. Finances did not allow that to happen until 2018 when I found one for a decent used price.

I always considered a machinedrum as an original alternative in some ways, but the Rytm never appealed much to me - part the bad pads, and to me the UI did not seem as immediate for performance as the Tempest (I could very well be wrong!) Obviously, tempest doesn't have sample import at all, which makes it quite a different machine.

I ended up getting the Tempest again and truly, I love the damn thing, warts and all. I should also mention I have had a DSI poly evolver before even the first tempest, so I was pretty well aware of the "dave smith synth architecture." I also played hand drums and kit drums in rock and metal bands for many years before for that extra "i'm a real drummer too cred" :razz:

How well does the Rytm integrate with modular? Tempest has 2 CV ins which is great for integrating. I use the tempest as the main clock for several systems as well. Even more fun is sending individual outs to [modular] filters and effects - but of course you can do that with other drum machines and synths too :)

Important note: my tempest would probably sound EVEN BETTER if I were better at programming it - but isn't that just the nature of synthesis? :tu:
http://vaultofstars.com
Music, art, photography, design, words

Return to “General Gear”