Tempest vs. RYTM...shoot!

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:02 pm

Bath House wrote:I'm using the Analog Four as a four-track (more when you start doing sound locks) drum machine. It sounds great, but the interface is very slow for sound creation. I'm not a fan of encoders on synths pretty much ever, other than for extremely precise adjustments, but you do get there eventually. I love that the sound architecture is a full synthesizer, esp. when they include thoughtful options like auto-bend and so on.

Since the Analog Rhythm actually features "machines," I'm very curious to see how much quicker the workflow can be. But I'm concerned that the designers' idea of what's "needed" for a kick, hi-hat, snare, etc. will be too limited and specific. What was amazing about the Tempest was having a full synth architecture to work with.
If you check the manual you can see the machine for each drum type. It's beyond the parameters of a 808 clone but not infinite. So, for example. you can get a nice tom sound out of the kick but not the clap--which makes sense. I find workflow and sound creation super simple on the Rytm, which is the reason I prefer it for drums over the Tempest.

16osc
Common Wiggler

Post by 16osc » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:32 pm

The Tempest really is quite nice. I hope the RYTM's sample loading ability will force DSI to enable it on the Tempest. They need not spend any development time on it - release whatever tool or steps they take now to load samples into it at the factory. A great interface would be nice but I think the Internet has long proven that given even the worst tools, someone will find a way to make it better or at least do the hard work for the majority of users.

Image if DSI just puts out (with a disclaimer) what-ever they have for sample loading. At least a few people would cobble together new sample packs to load. Even if it took lots of time to set up the procedure.

That one change could eliminate the RYTM's big advantage. Sure, people may note that it is hard to load samples to the Tempest but it would be doable if you really wanted to. Later on DSI or someone else could improve loading tools.

liquid234
Wiggling with Experience

Post by liquid234 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:07 am

The Tempest passes a very critical test (in my book).
It can sound like R2-D2. :r2: :jedi:

The therapy and medication has not had an effect so far, but
the doctor says to give it some time. :lol:
compassion, generosity, and wisdom dissolve hatred, greed, and delusion... given enough time, intent, and energy.
be the dis-solution.

BrianAndren
Common Wiggler

Post by BrianAndren » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:54 am

Parametex wrote:I cannot imagine why DSI does not hire more programmers to get shit DONE?
I can imagine. I work as a firmware/electrical engineer. Et me try to shed some light on the problem. It's not that simple to just hire another engineer. It takes time for new hires to come up to speed with the products. That and hiring another person is a responsibility. You need to know that you have the work and the revenue stream to keep them around.

It is common for companies to focus development efforts on new products. Without new products their income would fade away, along with the company and support for any existing products. My suggestion is for everyone to buy a Pro2 so we can keep funding Tempest development.

Parametex
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Parametex » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:11 am

BrianAndren wrote:
Parametex wrote:I cannot imagine why DSI does not hire more programmers to get shit DONE?
I can imagine. I work as a firmware/electrical engineer. Et me try to shed some light on the problem. It's not that simple to just hire another engineer. It takes time for new hires to come up to speed with the products. That and hiring another person is a responsibility. You need to know that you have the work and the revenue stream to keep them around.
Of course this is self-evident.

Yet, this is the business they are in and thus their responsibility to sort out and strengthen the company's most obvious weakest link.

At the end of the day one can look at them hiring or not hiring a coder being a part of their business model if nothing else.

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:14 am

My suggestion is for everyone to buy a Pro2 so we can keep funding Tempest development.
My suggestion would be don't release unfinished products so people have confidence in buying your latest :hihi:
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

BrianAndren
Common Wiggler

Post by BrianAndren » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:05 pm

Parametex wrote:
BrianAndren wrote:
I can imagine. I work as a firmware/electrical engineer. Let me try to shed some light on the problem. It's not that simple to just hire another engineer. It takes time for new hires to come up to speed with the products. That and hiring another person is a responsibility. You need to know that you have the work and the revenue stream to keep them around.
Of course this is self-evident.

Yet, this is the business they are in and thus their responsibility to sort out and strengthen the company's most obvious weakest link.

At the end of the day one can look at them hiring or not hiring a coder being a part of their business model if nothing else.
Yes you are right. And every trade off has unfortunately has it's implications.

Parnell Paul
Common Wiggler

different tools

Post by Parnell Paul » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:21 am

I prefer the Elektron products because I'm accustom to the layout and i've melded with these machines, so I can work quickly to achieve what i'd looking for.
The Tempest sits in the corner at the moment, I do love Dave Smith synth designs and I know I just have to get that machine to sound more aggressive and raw, I know it's there, but Elektron seems like an extension on me, I just work well with them.

LeFreq
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: different tools

Post by LeFreq » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:36 am

Parnell Paul wrote:I prefer the Elektron products because I'm accustom to the layout and i've melded with these machines, so I can work quickly to achieve what i'd looking for.
The Tempest sits in the corner at the moment, I do love Dave Smith synth designs and I know I just have to get that machine to sound more aggressive and raw, I know it's there, but Elektron seems like an extension on me, I just work well with them.
The Tempest is 1000000000000000x more raw than the RYTM. But, the RYTM is 100000000x more usable as a complete live or studio composition tool.

I'm an electronic music sound designer (make sample libraries, presets, etc.) and I use the Tempest the most out of all of my hardware drum machines and even most synths (which is a whole lot of gear). It is so incredibly deep in hybrid synthesis options... so much more than the RYTM. You just can't add your own samples which is a huge handicap when compared.

Anyways, idk, just felt like sharing that and encouraging you to give your Tempest some love. Sit down with it and just work on one sound for a while, really dig in. You'll be impressed.

:tu:
Support My Gear Addiction:
For Sale/Trade

Parnell Paul
Common Wiggler

Post by Parnell Paul » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:57 am

LeFreq wrote:
Parnell Paul wrote:I prefer the Elektron products because I'm accustom to the layout and i've melded with these machines, so I can work quickly to achieve what i'd looking for.
The Tempest is 1000000000000000x more raw than the RYTM. But, the RYTM is 100000000x more usable as a complete live or studio composition tool.

I'm an electronic music sound designer (make sample libraries, presets, etc.) and I use the Tempest the most out of all of my hardware drum machines and even most synths (which is a whole lot of gear). It is so incredibly deep in hybrid synthesis options... so much more than the RYTM. You just can't add your own samples which is a huge handicap when compared.

Anyways, idk, just felt like sharing that and encouraging you to give your Tempest some love. Sit down with it and just work on one sound for a while, really dig in. You'll be impressed.

I guess that's why guys like myself would keep them both and not get frustrated and sell em off ;) Everything depends on workflow, both have their strengths and Both need to be explored.

BrianAndren
Common Wiggler

Post by BrianAndren » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:21 am

Parnell Paul wrote:
LeFreq wrote:

I guess that's why guys like myself would keep them both and not get frustrated and sell em off ;) Everything depends on workflow, both have their strengths and Both need to be explored.
They really are two different machines. It really shows if you've worked with the Tempest for a year or more and now are looking at working with the RYTM. Both require their own work flows.

goldphinga
Learning to Wiggle

Post by goldphinga » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:11 am

Theres a BIG Tempest update coming in October....that is all!

Parnell Paul
Common Wiggler

PROGRESS

Post by Parnell Paul » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:37 pm

goldphinga wrote:Theres a BIG Tempest update coming in October....that is all!
Looking forward to that!

LeFreq
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by LeFreq » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:43 pm

Parnell Paul wrote:

Yep, that's why I have both. :tu:
Support My Gear Addiction:
For Sale/Trade

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:11 pm

goldphinga wrote:Theres a BIG Tempest update coming in October....that is all!
O'rly...

Sitting on my hands till then as I have a drum machine sized amount sitting in my bank :)
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

Cobramatic
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Cobramatic » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:44 pm

I have to say that the Tempest really deserves your time to figure it out properly. I bought one a year ago and to be honest it sat in a cupboard for 9 months because I couldn't immediately get the sounds I wanted from it.

After playing with Rytm for a while - which really does have that immediacy ( at least for sound making) I decided to sell the Tempest but gave it 1 more run one night.
5 hours later I was totally in love with it and banging out beats, bass and synth lines and hugely enjoying it. I think a year of solid modular synth playing has really sharpened my sound making skills and suddenly the Tempest was a piece of cake to get all the sounds I wanted.
Basically, IMHO you need to completely dump ALL of Tempests factory beats and sounds and just start from scratch - why it ships which such a poor to 'average' sound set is beyond me and totally undersells the machine. Perhaps this new update that Pym mentioned will address this fact.

But the workflow and live playability of the Tempest are really wonderful. Again, once you get the hang of it it is fast and flows creatively much better than than Rytm.
Those Tempest Pads are FAR better than Rytm's - and MUCH better placed and REALLY encourage beat making - more like MPC style than Elektron to be sure, but if you like step programming it is plenty easy enough on Tempest too and even has the great xoxox steps screen so you can look at four instruments at a time and scroll to the rest which is useful ( like the old Roland ones) plus it is convenient for fine tuning other parameters etc..

Tempest also Excels as a synth too - and I find picking out bass lines and arpegiated leads a lot of fun on the pads which you can set to defined scales. So for me it is very much like having a Rytm and an A4 in the same box - very convenient. I rarely notice the limitation of the 6 voice limit - even with 32 tracks to work from but it happens occasionally ( if it only had 8 voices I'd be in heaven!) you tend not to notice the voice stealing except on some long decaying synth notes.

A tip - head over to the DSI forum and get the latest beta OS it adds a midi sequencer channel, a cool arp and other useful stuff.

As for sample loading - yeah, that would be cool and maybe it will come, but the 450 preloaded samples are generally good for layering with your 2 other oscillators. The Prophet waveforms are nice too. But ultimately it is about making your own sounds and being creative. Forget this machine if u just want 808/909 drums.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth. I'm keeping mine and reckon it beats Rytm - and I LOVE the Elektron gear.
Learn synthersis and it is a dream machine.

Vootman
Common Wiggler

Post by Vootman » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:13 pm

I've updated mine, and fell in love again. It IS all about the programming. Great basses, kicks and I absolutely love the snares on this little beast...it's a keeper for sure...goes nicely with the Pro 2 as well! Now the Pro2....holy shit is that thing awesome!

sleeven
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sleeven » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:52 pm

Vootman wrote:I've updated mine, and fell in love again. It IS all about the programming. Great basses, kicks and I absolutely love the snares on this little beast...it's a keeper for sure...goes nicely with the Pro 2 as well! Now the Pro2....holy shit is that thing awesome!
If you could only have one and it was your first piece of gear? I'm in the market and eyeing both... : )

Gigstuely
1-Post Wiggler

Post by Gigstuely » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:47 pm

Pym wrote:Bias aside, since the Tempest is my baby, I'd wait until the new projects/beats/sounds come out before making a decision. It's basically the next thing on our list and should be coming out by early October

Tempest is my baby too. :love:

I did not know new projects/beats/sounds were made available, awesome!

Would someone be so kind to tell me where I can find them?

Thank you, cheers!

Vootman
Common Wiggler

Post by Vootman » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:52 pm

I would say if you JUST want a drum machine, than it's Rytm all the way. That being said, the Tempest is a proper synth, and a good drum machine, great sequencer...it's just that the Rytm is better at doing the drum machine bit.

Vootman
Common Wiggler

Post by Vootman » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:10 pm

LeFreq wrote:

I'm an electronic music sound designer (make sample libraries, presets, etc.) and I use the Tempest the most out of all of my hardware drum machines and even most synths (which is a whole lot of gear). It is so incredibly deep in hybrid synthesis options... so much more than the RYTM. You just

can't add your own samples which is a huge handicap when compared.

Anyways, idk, just felt like sharing that and encouraging you to give your Tempest some love. Sit down with it and just work on one sound for a while, really dig in. You'll be impressed

I agree...

What a puny plan...
-the Humungus.

Vootman
Common Wiggler

Post by Vootman » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:15 pm

^^^i just wanted to say I agree, Tempest is much rawer sounding than the RYTM...I wish I still had it... :deadbanana:
What a puny plan...
-the Humungus.

Flux302
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Flux302 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:36 am

Just recently picked up a tempest. really hoping that they continue development. I too am a sound designer and I would certainly put the effort into releasing a Tempest sample pack if it could load samples .... would it be profitable? no.... would I care if its profitable? NO lol.... JUST LET ME DO IT! :nana:
----------------------------------
FluxWithIt.com
Youtube.com/Flux302
The SynthSummitShow (Live show)

Flux302
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Flux302 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:42 am

After a bit of researching it seems sample import won't be happening and is not a simple task. They designed the tempest with next to no memory and the samples that are already there are hard coded to the chips, not simple as import export.
FluxWithIt.com
Youtube.com/Flux302
The SynthSummitShow (Live show)

KOPIMI.US
Learning to Wiggle

Post by KOPIMI.US » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:56 pm

I'm gonna 'go there' and say that, in general, forum-goers and gearheads tend to gravitate to the exotic in a ___ vs ___. It's clearly evident, especially from my vantage point as more of a people-watching forum guy. I read forums every day, but barely post.

As far as the RYTM vs Tempest goes, just look at the choices: 1. The RYTM prides itself on being straight-forward, easy to use, and a concise drum machine. 2. Tempest is an open machine, capable of full synthesis, is more expensive, and is a little less popular or "pop" in general. People are kind of inclined to prefer the Tempest!

Same with a thread I read, "Sub 37 vs Dominion 1" ... of course, the hard-to-find and exotic Dominion 1 is going to win, hands down.

I just say this because it's easy to lose sight of the core role that music gear plays in our lives.

I own an Analog RYTM, totally aware that it is a pop device, has the bells and whistles, Mr. Dataline doing demos to wow people, and all that. But it got a checkmark on every point on my checklist for a GOOD DRUM MACHINE. What I found using it though, is that the workflow of it inspired me. So much so that, as much of a synthesizer enthusiast, and sound-design enthusiast, I found that I was producing MORE, FASTER. I am the type that I noodle for hours, come up with something that sounds cool, but never get around to finishing a product --- I'm a Professional Noodler. :P

But with the RYTM, I can noodle all I want, getting results very quickly, and I can get the music done quickly as well. Now, with Overbridge it will be even more efficient and quick. Audio over USB, separate tracks for mixing, and go go go.

The sound is great, I particularly love the overdrive, and the workflow is so on-point. Sound-shaping is totally adequate and deep for a drum machine, and I can't get over how fun it is to precisely sequence Filter Res-squeals!!! I've never been able to do that quite so easily (ENV Amt, Cutoff, and RES, rapidly sequenced in seconds). Such a painfully fun device.

I'm so enthralled with it that I will be selling my bare-bones, old school synths, getting a Monomachine to replace them, and getting a Sub 37 to replace everything else (it also sequences wonderfully!).
Why? Because at the end of the day, I KNOW that with a more streamlined approach, I can noodle AND produce an album all at once. 8-)

I know I know... I'm SUPPOSED to like the exotic, but Elektron is so fluidly standard that I actually get my job done! I know, I'm supposed to flood my studio with every exotic synth ever made, but I just love to focus on machines that allow me to express myself fully minus all the bullshit.

Now go ahead and tear my post to shreds lol :deadbanana:

-Ronnie

Return to “General Gear”