Tempest vs. RYTM...shoot!

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

oliviaarthur
Learning to Wiggle

Post by oliviaarthur » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:57 pm

I just sold my Tempest yesterday to buy an analog rytm. I worked on trying to figure it out for quite a while but I seems to have never quite gotten it to make the sounds that are pleasant to my ears. I have had a machinedrum for six years and it is my go to drum machine. I never even really use the tempest as I think I like the whole performance aspect of the Machinedrum. I played with the Analog rytm at Namm I thought it sounded pretty get off the bat. i've been reading the manual as I wait for it to come in the mail and it seems super deep and complicated! I'm still very excited because the videos I've watched of the Analog rytm on YouTube and the sound incredible even if some of the patterns are lame.

MATSmile
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MATSmile » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:12 pm

KOPIMI.US wrote:I'm gonna 'go there' and say that, in general, forum-goers and gearheads tend to gravitate to the exotic in a ___ vs ___. It's clearly evident, especially from my vantage point as more of a people-watching forum guy. I read forums every day, but barely post.

As far as the RYTM vs Tempest goes, just look at the choices: 1. The RYTM prides itself on being straight-forward, easy to use, and a concise drum machine. 2. Tempest is an open machine, capable of full synthesis, is more expensive, and is a little less popular or "pop" in general. People are kind of inclined to prefer the Tempest!

Same with a thread I read, "Sub 37 vs Dominion 1" ... of course, the hard-to-find and exotic Dominion 1 is going to win, hands down.

I just say this because it's easy to lose sight of the core role that music gear plays in our lives.

I own an Analog RYTM, totally aware that it is a pop device, has the bells and whistles, Mr. Dataline doing demos to wow people, and all that. But it got a checkmark on every point on my checklist for a GOOD DRUM MACHINE. What I found using it though, is that the workflow of it inspired me. So much so that, as much of a synthesizer enthusiast, and sound-design enthusiast, I found that I was producing MORE, FASTER. I am the type that I noodle for hours, come up with something that sounds cool, but never get around to finishing a product --- I'm a Professional Noodler. :P

But with the RYTM, I can noodle all I want, getting results very quickly, and I can get the music done quickly as well. Now, with Overbridge it will be even more efficient and quick. Audio over USB, separate tracks for mixing, and go go go.

The sound is great, I particularly love the overdrive, and the workflow is so on-point. Sound-shaping is totally adequate and deep for a drum machine, and I can't get over how fun it is to precisely sequence Filter Res-squeals!!! I've never been able to do that quite so easily (ENV Amt, Cutoff, and RES, rapidly sequenced in seconds). Such a painfully fun device.

I'm so enthralled with it that I will be selling my bare-bones, old school synths, getting a Monomachine to replace them, and getting a Sub 37 to replace everything else (it also sequences wonderfully!).
Why? Because at the end of the day, I KNOW that with a more streamlined approach, I can noodle AND produce an album all at once. 8-)

I know I know... I'm SUPPOSED to like the exotic, but Elektron is so fluidly standard that I actually get my job done! I know, I'm supposed to flood my studio with every exotic synth ever made, but I just love to focus on machines that allow me to express myself fully minus all the bullshit.

Now go ahead and tear my post to shreds lol :deadbanana:

-Ronnie
Hahahah, I like how you say 'pop'. haha, just hilarious :hihi:

If you want actual analog drum-machine you should look opposite directions of Tempest (which is fairly well build GROOVEBOX) and RYTM (I have no idea why someone would buy such a bad sounding machine)
Go grab something from Acidlab or MFB, Jomox, those are real man drum machines with juicy sound and classy look.

oliviaarthur
Learning to Wiggle

Post by oliviaarthur » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:30 pm

the Strom app for the iPad and rytm looks insane! Nothing like that for the tempest!

KOPIMI.US
Learning to Wiggle

Post by KOPIMI.US » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:31 pm

MATSmile wrote:
KOPIMI.US wrote:I'm gonna 'go there' and say that, in general, forum-goers and gearheads tend to gravitate to the exotic in a ___ vs ___. It's clearly evident, especially from my vantage point as more of a people-watching forum guy. I read forums every day, but barely post.

As far as the RYTM vs Tempest goes, just look at the choices: 1. The RYTM prides itself on being straight-forward, easy to use, and a concise drum machine. 2. Tempest is an open machine, capable of full synthesis, is more expensive, and is a little less popular or "pop" in general. People are kind of inclined to prefer the Tempest!

Same with a thread I read, "Sub 37 vs Dominion 1" ... of course, the hard-to-find and exotic Dominion 1 is going to win, hands down.

I just say this because it's easy to lose sight of the core role that music gear plays in our lives.

I own an Analog RYTM, totally aware that it is a pop device, has the bells and whistles, Mr. Dataline doing demos to wow people, and all that. But it got a checkmark on every point on my checklist for a GOOD DRUM MACHINE. What I found using it though, is that the workflow of it inspired me. So much so that, as much of a synthesizer enthusiast, and sound-design enthusiast, I found that I was producing MORE, FASTER. I am the type that I noodle for hours, come up with something that sounds cool, but never get around to finishing a product --- I'm a Professional Noodler. :P

But with the RYTM, I can noodle all I want, getting results very quickly, and I can get the music done quickly as well. Now, with Overbridge it will be even more efficient and quick. Audio over USB, separate tracks for mixing, and go go go.

The sound is great, I particularly love the overdrive, and the workflow is so on-point. Sound-shaping is totally adequate and deep for a drum machine, and I can't get over how fun it is to precisely sequence Filter Res-squeals!!! I've never been able to do that quite so easily (ENV Amt, Cutoff, and RES, rapidly sequenced in seconds). Such a painfully fun device.

I'm so enthralled with it that I will be selling my bare-bones, old school synths, getting a Monomachine to replace them, and getting a Sub 37 to replace everything else (it also sequences wonderfully!).
Why? Because at the end of the day, I KNOW that with a more streamlined approach, I can noodle AND produce an album all at once. 8-)

I know I know... I'm SUPPOSED to like the exotic, but Elektron is so fluidly standard that I actually get my job done! I know, I'm supposed to flood my studio with every exotic synth ever made, but I just love to focus on machines that allow me to express myself fully minus all the bullshit.

Now go ahead and tear my post to shreds lol :deadbanana:

-Ronnie
Hahahah, I like how you say 'pop'. haha, just hilarious :hihi:

If you want actual analog drum-machine you should look opposite directions of Tempest (which is fairly well build GROOVEBOX) and RYTM (I have no idea why someone would buy such a bad sounding machine)
Go grab something from Acidlab or MFB, Jomox, those are real man drum machines with juicy sound and classy look.
I think the RYTM sounds great! And with more machines coming in with future updates + Overbridge... :tu:
Elektron are solid.

stikygum
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by stikygum » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:34 am

h4ndcrafted wrote: Infact I ordered a RYTM but cancelled bc I wasn't happy that it didn't have at least an a Env for samples, kind of essential if you really want to blend drums.
Can anyone else confirm this? I'm reading the Rytm manual and it says on page 28 that "When editing, the MACHINE, Sound and sample settings of the track can be changed, and any changes made will be stored as part of the active kit." Plus the Rytm diagram in the manual shows the analog percussive drum generator, noise generator and the sample playback engine go through all the available and same synth parameters.

Thinking about getting a Rytm, but want to make sure that I can edit modify samples with the synth engine in it.

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:31 am

stikygum wrote:
h4ndcrafted wrote: Infact I ordered a RYTM but cancelled bc I wasn't happy that it didn't have at least an a Env for samples, kind of essential if you really want to blend drums.
Can anyone else confirm this? I'm reading the Rytm manual and it says on page 28 that "When editing, the MACHINE, Sound and sample settings of the track can be changed, and any changes made will be stored as part of the active kit." Plus the Rytm diagram in the manual shows the analog percussive drum generator, noise generator and the sample playback engine go through all the available and same synth parameters.

Thinking about getting a Rytm, but want to make sure that I can edit modify samples with the synth engine in it.
The samples, you get start and end, which can be inverted, plus bit crusher, love bit crushers, but not this one, the rest goes through the same filter and master processing. No separate eq, so picking the right sample can be a bit tedious, but also may lead to happy accidents.
Bviuosly you get tuning and in chromatic mode you can decide whether the sample follows this or not. The actual performance control has been well thought out, but it is all handicapped by probably some of the least dynamic pads I have ever used.

I have programmed the shit out of it, and it needs external work, well what machine doesnt, but it is a lot of money for what I'm getting out of it.
I guess I like TR drums too much , instant bounce , this machine, even with careful gain staging, and even though I've grown to like the comp, well it always ends up sounding pretty dark and flat.
I have moments of loving it, then I just eq up some tr sounds, and think why am I bothering with this.
Incidently I'm not looking to get TR sounds, they are just a much better foundation for me than the RYTM building blocks.

I actually prefer the machinedrum sound.

stikygum
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by stikygum » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:11 pm

Ok so it does go through the Env and everything. So you sound like you want a straight up analog drum machine, no user samples needed in your case I'm guessing. If that's the case I'd go for the Tanzbar if I were you. That thing rocks. I'm more in the boat for a sampler, but I like the drum synth idea with samples together so I don't always have to load in samples. The Strom app makes getting samples in there pretty easy, though the manual way seems to be a little cumbersome.

As for the sound, you said the bit crusher isn't your thing. Do you find it to be more noisy instead of more crunchy/bit reductiony? The pads I'm not too worried about as I'm going to using it for x0x more often. I can possibly see what you mean by dark and flat maybe, though I'd have to get one. I've seen vids were the sound isn't impressing and other videos were I'm like 'there it is' and like the sound quality.

For the most part the Rytm seems like a creative tool for using samples. Some may ask why I don't consider the Octatrack, but I don't need slicing (that I'll do ITB) and the extra FX are cool, but I like things like the performance mode of the Rytm more. Octatrack looks awesome, but I think I'm more of a Rytm guy.

Haterade
Common Wiggler

Re: Tempest vs. RYTM...shoot!

Post by Haterade » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:27 am

Had a few questions about the Tempest for anybody kind enough to answer:

It only has 16 beats per project, correct? And loading a new project stops the sequencer, right?

Will the sequencer pick back up once the new project loads? Or if you load a new project mid-performance, does that mean you have to do a stop/start?
"Don't shun the world, shed it"

Tajnost
Common Wiggler

Post by Tajnost » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:02 am

Haterade wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:27 am
Had a few questions about the Tempest for anybody kind enough to answer:

It only has 16 beats per project, correct? And loading a new project stops the sequencer, right?

Will the sequencer pick back up once the new project loads? Or if you load a new project mid-performance, does that mean you have to do a stop/start?
Yes, you're right - 16 beats per project and you need to stop the seq to load next set of 16 beats.
If Tempest is in a slave mode, you can catch the sync after new project is loaded just by pressing start button again, but it won't be in sync with the "next bar" and will start immediatelly with the next 16th note. If you're lucky, you can be in sync and 1 steps of your patterns on other machines are synced too, but no garantees... Anyway you can stop it and start again anytime you like and it still be "in tempo sync", and sometimes you can get very nice unpredictable rythmic shifts by doing this live.

Honestly, if you're into "freestyle minimal improvised" kind of a live performance, you hardly need more than 8 - 10 beats, 16 is more than enough for me. I played dozens of 1 - 2 hour live sets with the Tempest just by using 6 - 8 beats and deeply modify, rewrite on the fly... Tempest is really flexible, and you have 32 sounds/sequences in one beat, so you can build the beat in a way that ther're many variations inside. For example - first 8 parts have the same BD sound and you just mute / unmute them to get another BD pattern inside the beat... hope that's clear :)

But there're other problems with it - very limited memory for saving projects and even notes inside the project. I run out of memory almost all of the time. Also parameter automation recording implemented in a really bad way, and I guess still a bit buggy.

So if you're more into "Ableton" kind of live set where you just change preprogrammed beats and patterns one by one, without modifying them on the fly, probably Elektron is much better choice.

Tempest has quite unique and big sound (try it on a big PA and you will understand ), nice interface, it's very playable and can take you really far into "modular" field of sounds... Honestly, I see it more as a very complex synth/groovebox rather than drummachine. But it definitelly has tons of bugs and limitations, so it's not for everyone...

Hope that helps...

Haterade
Common Wiggler

Post by Haterade » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:04 pm

Perfect. Exactly what I wanted to know. Many thanks!

I love the sequencer on the RYTM, but I have been curious to try something else that's a bit deeper in terms of sound design. Would def. take any other recs.
"Don't shun the world, shed it"

inoshi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by inoshi » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:26 pm

RYTM was my first synth. I used it and nothing else for several months, until I got an analog 4. Those 2 i used for about 9 months.
Even though my music is not very good, I was very proficient w/ the RYTM interface and sound design. For my tastes, the RYTM's sound engines were incredibly limited, and the sweet spots seemed small. But it was great for learning the basics, and the sampling sort of made up for the lackluster engines.

I can't speak on the tempest, but I can say that after getting into Eurorack, I will probably never use my RYTM again because of its sound design limitations, plus i'm not interested in sampling. I also now have a machinedrum, which i rarely use, but would take any day over the rytm.

If you're looking for a drum machine, nowadays I would either go with Eurorack or Reaktor. I'm not sure about desktop machines.

ObsoleteModular
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ObsoleteModular » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:28 am

inoshi wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:26 pm
RYTM was my first synth.

If you're looking for a drum machine, nowadays I would either go with Eurorack or Reaktor. I'm not sure about desktop machines.
I did the opposite. Wasted a lot of time and money trying to a drum machine in Euro and sold it and bought a RYTM MK2, which I love. BUT I do like sampling and I DID keep my Intellijel Plonk.

SingIt
Common Wiggler

Post by SingIt » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:22 am

I have trouble seeing how the RYTMs sound engines are limited unless you are specifically trying to recreate a TR machine. It does so many different kick sounds that I often have trouble choosing. I also don’t believe any drum machine sounds perfect out of the box, I always process them - especially the 808 and 909.

Corrupt
Common Wiggler

Post by Corrupt » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:16 pm

Both machines fundamentally flawed. The Rytm by it’s diff sound engines, Tempest by bafflingly ignorant design and development decisions. Had both, let both go with zero regrets. Machinedrum and old MPC remain.

inoshi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by inoshi » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:26 pm

SingIt wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:22 am
I have trouble seeing how the RYTMs sound engines are limited unless you are specifically trying to recreate a TR machine. It does so many different kick sounds that I often have trouble choosing. I also don’t believe any drum machine sounds perfect out of the box, I always process them - especially the 808 and 909.
to each his own. i guess after using it for 9 months i still hadn't figured it out :despair:
the kicks are ok, but i found myself gravitating toward the same few sweet spots in each engine. After 9 months i was just tired of the sounds that i was getting, and there's not too many options other than sampling to expand on these. Granted layering the samples over the engines opens a lot of doors. I just wasn't interested once i built out the eurorack where the sounds are basically unlimited. Never looked back.

Leviathant
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Leviathant » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:38 pm

I forgot about this old comparison. Last month I spent some time trying to recreate tracks from the NIN score for Quake on (mostly) my Tempest, just as an exercise in patch design:

I wasn't going to do the labored breathing thing on that last video, and later I added the 'melody' on a warbly JP-08 patch pretty in a satisfying way.

I still haven't had the opportunity to use a RYTM, but I wondered if it had the flexibility to do something like the above tracks and get as close to the original 1996 OST.

Either way - the bottom line is that you should use the tool that suits you best. Both have different learning curves and different benefits.
New album Accelerationist available at Bandcamp.
DSI Tempest | Moog Sub 37 | DSI Poly Evolver Keyboard | SH-01A | JP-08 | Sound Workshop 1280b | etc

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:35 pm

either way, can’t lose!
TOO FAR GONE

SingIt
Common Wiggler

Post by SingIt » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:13 pm

inoshi wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:26 pm
SingIt wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:22 am
to each his own. i guess after using it for 9 months i still hadn't figured it out :despair:
the kicks are ok, but i found myself gravitating toward the same few sweet spots in each engine. After 9 months i was just tired of the sounds that i was getting, and there's not too many options other than sampling to expand on these. Granted layering the samples over the engines opens a lot of doors. I just wasn't interested once i built out the eurorack where the sounds are basically unlimited. Never looked back.
I dont know, I guess it depends on the sound you want. I have found that using Dirt and Layers from Goldbaby for the main transient on top of the synth kick engines can provide a crazy amount of results.

1040df
Learning to Wiggle

Post by 1040df » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:34 pm

Should also take into consideration the Rytm MK2 is "nearly" a Digitakt as far as sampling goes.

One of the best examples of its functionality is an old Elektron workshop video. The video is split between Analog Four MK2 and the Rytm MK2. Jump to roughly 39min mark. Cenk goes through a lot of features and workflows, takes questions and comes up with stuff on the spot. Since this video was recorded 2 years ago. A bunch of new features have been added to the OS. So there is even more to explore. I think this video demonstrates how natural the machine is to use. Pretty much everything is at your finger tips.

stimresp
Common Wiggler

Post by stimresp » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:23 am

The biggest difference between the two IMO is related to sound design. Tempest requires a large investment of time just to learn how to synthesize basic drum sounds, whereas Rytm provides the machines which give you a more limited number of parameters, though they can sound great with a little effort. Also, Tempest really needs outboard FX, so you will need a mixer and FX units to take full advantage.

I found the Tempest sequencer to be quite basic and limited compared to the Elektron sequencer, and the lack of memory meas that parameter automation/motion sequencing is not possible beyond those mapped to the touchstrips. This was a big disappointment, seeing as how a Korg Electribe Er-1 could do this 10 years previously. It would have made the Tempest a far more interesting prospect.

As a straight-up programmable drum machine, the Rytm wins hands-down IMO, though the Tempest has it's own mojo - and the hardware (esp pads) lends itself more to real-time playing.

oscilloscope
Common Wiggler

Post by oscilloscope » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:17 am

Can't compare Tempest vs Rytm, they are so different on a UI and on a musicality levels. Tech differences imo being largely irrelevant.

But I can safely predict that on the day these two machines are discontinued:
  • Tempest will instantly go into hyper-priced classic collector status
  • Rytm will slowly drown into oblivion

:)

soundinett
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soundinett » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:18 pm

This sells me to the Tempest

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:01 pm

I did once toy with the Rytm sadly never with a Tempest but my guts told me the latter could be a future classic.
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut

Carefully crafted dj set meandering between deep house, minimal and electro.

th0mas
Veteran Wiggler

Post by th0mas » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:26 pm

Anyone considering a tempest in 2020 be sure to read a bit of the DSI forums:

https://forum.sequential.com/index.php?board=7.0

Including the bit about the last OS update being the final update.

Stoneyards
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Stoneyards » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:21 am

I haven't used the Tempest, but as a drummer I immediately bonded with the Rytm mk2. The workflow and superb sequencer made sense immediately, and it's very natural and satisfying to use.

After one evening exploring and reading the manual, I was able to express myself in a pretty authentic way, regardless of whether I start from the Rytm with a very percussive vibe, or start from the modular or other synths, from a texture or melody.

Very possible the Tempest may offer more options in sound design or synthesis (and I'd love to try one someday!) but I'm very happy with the Rytm.

Oh, and I still have a LOT of love for modular percussion.. I use Rytm for more straight-up beats, and reach for the (unstoppable imo) combination of basimilus + varigate 4 + voltage block for tweaky, cranky, expressive, undulating rhythms. Both together = so so good.

Return to “General Gear”