Rare Waves Grendel Grenadier

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

SPIKE the Percussionist
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Rare Waves Grendel Grenadier

Post by SPIKE the Percussionist » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:06 pm

so...
the RA-99 noiz weapon arrived yesterday.

VERY cool...wired it to my RA-9 to start with.

my only problem with the RA-99...the faceplate and text...
super hard to read at almost any angle.
it has to lay flat on the table for any sort of legible labels and markings.
++

more noiz!

SPIKE the Percussionist

- http://www.manipulate.net -

ASTROGENIC HALLUCINAUTING
CoRE - Constructs of Ritual Evolution
DOGGEBI
Fiddle Witch and the Demons of Doom
morgue city
Unified Space

Unborn Gore
Common Wiggler

Post by Unborn Gore » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:07 am

So I just ordered one of these. I plan on integrating it into my pedalboard with a Boredbrain INTRFX.

I don’t have any other modular stuff, so I noticed the Hungry Robot pedal modules from a couple years back:

Any opinions on which of these would best complement the RA-99, INTRFX, and a Dr Strangelove?

pmboos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pmboos » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:26 am

I can give you a super informed opinion, but if you don't have a mixer you may want one, though you only named one module really.

An Attenuverter may also be a good first addition. How do you like your INTRFX?
---
“What actions can be taken to create a joyful, inspiring, and productive work environment?"

Unborn Gore
Common Wiggler

Post by Unborn Gore » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:23 pm

pmboos wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:26 am
I can give you a super informed opinion, but if you don't have a mixer you may want one, though you only named one module really.

I do have a mixer, but I don't have the INTRFX yet. That'll be my next purchase, then a Korg SQ-1. What I have right now is effects pedals and the Analogue Solutions Dr. Strangelove.

I want the whole set up to fit on my SKB pedalboard, so I would only add one or two of the Hungry Robot modules (or similar, if there is anything else out there like those) to add utility to the RA-99/INTRFX/SQ-1 section of the board.

Unborn Gore
Common Wiggler

Post by Unborn Gore » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:46 pm

pmboos wrote:
An Attenuverter may also be a good first addition.
After doing some research, that one seems like it might be the best one to go with. That, and/or maybe the multiplier.

pmboos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pmboos » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:28 pm

Unborn Gore wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:23 pm
pmboos wrote:

I do have a mixer, but I don't have the INTRFX yet. That'll be my next purchase, then a Korg SQ-1. What I have right now is effects pedals and the Analogue Solutions Dr. Strangelove.

I want the whole set up to fit on my SKB pedalboard, so I would only add one or two of the Hungry Robot modules (or similar, if there is anything else out there like those) to add utility to the RA-99/INTRFX/SQ-1 section of the board.
Sounds like a great minimalist set-up! I really like the SQ-1. It is simple, but also playable to a degree.... (maybe not as some designed specifically for playability, but I find it pretty handy...)

One thing I'd also recommend (I'm looking at getting one...), you may want a tuner pedal if you think you may want to accompany others.
---
“What actions can be taken to create a joyful, inspiring, and productive work environment?"

eleven
Learning to Wiggle

Post by eleven » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:47 pm

:help:
could anyone who owns one please confirm, does the grenadier slide(glide) when sequenced from an acid-style sequencer such as the tb-303(or tt-303,xoxbox,futureretro orb and the like)?
any help is greatly appreciated!

pmboos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pmboos » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:49 pm

eleven wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:47 pm
could anyone who owns one please confirm, does the grenadier slide(glide) when sequenced from an acid-style sequencer such as the tb-303(or tt-303,xoxbox,futureretro orb and the like)?
I think that may depend on the sequencer as that would be CV in. If the sequencer slid the CV (say like the Orb or the SQ-1, the RA-99 should as well.

I do know what you saying though, if you prefer the synth to do the glide/portamento, you may want to get the Rare Waves Hydronium. I can attest that it ALSO sounds awesome as I have one. It doesn't have the formant style filter and perhaps the Hydronium is a little closer to that 303 sound, but yet is still its own unique synth. One thing I love about Rare Waves is that take a style further than most people would think... They are truly beautiful little machines.
---

pmboos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pmboos » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:56 pm

Unborn Gore wrote:
pmboos wrote:

I just realized I didn't fully answer your question...

So the Attenuverter is a versatile choice. If you were considering a second thing, maybe the looping ADSR. I know I have one on my Microvolt and it is really a joy to work with. The other possibility if you wanted a second pedal might be the Sample & Hold. Please let me know what you get - I have been thinking of those boxes myself a bit. I did decide to get my own skiff, so I doubt I would do anything soon, but if my skiff filled up.... Well you know a man needs more gadgets.

BTW, what FX are you using? I picked up 3 to play with my semi-modulars: the Dreadbox Komorebi, the Dreadbox Hydronium, and the Plankton Electronics Spice. Each are uniquely beautiful pieces of gear. The one I have my eye on is the Rainbow Machine from Earthquaker...
---

Unborn Gore
Common Wiggler

Post by Unborn Gore » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:47 am

pmboos wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:56 pm
Unborn Gore wrote:
pmboos wrote:

If you were considering a second thing, maybe the looping ADSR. I know I have one on my Microvolt and it is really a joy to work with.
I gave the Microvolt a long look as I was researching semi-modulars. I love the sound of that thing.

Good to know about the looping ADSR. That might be the most powerful of all of those hungry robot modules.
BTW, what FX are you using?
I’ve attached a pic of my pedal board:

The RA-99 will be the main synth along the bottom right, but with a small setup I wanted as many sound sources as possible.

The Polivoks filter (top left) has additional white noise, so I was very pleased to learn that the Grendel has pink. The Afterneath can self-oscillate, and the Drone Rainger has a built-in twin tone generator.

The white box is made by Moffenzeef, it is an analog overdrive/downsampler. But it also has a built in noise synth that has its own out and volume control.

I’ve been using the Stereo Field through various pedals for awhile now, and it gets terrific results. I had an EHX Flanger Hoax which was great, but too big. One of my paper place-holders there along the top will be a smaller phaser to replace it.
I picked up 3 to play with my semi-modulars: the Dreadbox Komorebi, the Dreadbox Hydronium, and the Plankton Electronics Spice. Each are uniquely beautiful pieces of gear.

You mean the Dreadbox Hypnosis, right? All three of those are really powerful. I did research the Komorebi, it seems perfect for this type of set up. I just wish it was a phaser/chorus instead of a flanger/chorus! It’s still a great choice though.

That Spice looks phenomenal. So flexible, and such a beautiful semi-modular integration. There need to be more pedals like that one in the world.
The one I have my eye on is the Rainbow Machine from Earthquaker...
I love that pedal. So many cool sound possibilities. The INTRFX feedback loop would likely work wonders with that one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

heckadecimal69
Common Wiggler

Post by heckadecimal69 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:56 pm

eleven wrote:
Works great with Engine sequencing cv/gate, and any 303 clone that has cv/gate out (confirmed with Avalon & TD-3).
Honestly this is an awesome acid machine if you've got a cv/gate sequencer.

pmboos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pmboos » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:49 pm

Unborn Gore wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:47 am
...snip....

I gave the Microvolt a long look as I was researching semi-modulars. I love the sound of that thing.

Good to know about the looping ADSR. That might be the most powerful of all of those hungry robot modules.
BTW, what FX are you using?
I’ve attached a pic of my pedal board:

The RA-99 will be the main synth along the bottom right, but with a small setup I wanted as many sound sources as possible.

The Polivoks filter (top left) has additional white noise, so I was very pleased to learn that the Grendel has pink. The Afterneath can self-oscillate, and the Drone Rainger has a built-in twin tone generator.

The white box is made by Moffenzeef, it is an analog overdrive/downsampler. But it also has a built in noise synth that has its own out and volume control.

I’ve been using the Stereo Field through various pedals for awhile now, and it gets terrific results. I had an EHX Flanger Hoax which was great, but too big. One of my paper place-holders there along the top will be a smaller phaser to replace it.
I picked up 3 to play with my semi-modulars: the Dreadbox Komorebi, the Dreadbox Hydronium, and the Plankton Electronics Spice. Each are uniquely beautiful pieces of gear.

You mean the Dreadbox Hypnosis, right? All three of those are really powerful. I did research the Komorebi, it seems perfect for this type of set up. I just wish it was a phaser/chorus instead of a flanger/chorus! It’s still a great choice though.

That Spice looks phenomenal. So flexible, and such a beautiful semi-modular integration. There need to be more pedals like that one in the world.
The one I have my eye on is the Rainbow Machine from Earthquaker...
I love that pedal. So many cool sound possibilities. The INTRFX feedback loop would likely work wonders with that one.
FIrst, you are right, I had Rare Waves on the brain, but it is the Dreadbox Hypnosis.

I've heard a few things with the Stereo Field on YouTube. I tend to do melodic stuff, so I struggle with how to use the Stereo Field for that; all the examples i think I heard were suitable for more noise-centric music. My poor brain just isn't wired to think that way - though I find some of it neat. I tend to think of note structures and then what can I do to them.

Yeah the I need to work with my Spice a bit more. I got it mostly to use with the Hydronium and well, I got distracted and guess what is one machine I have not hooked it to?

I have given some thoughts to the INTRFX, but I struggle exactly with how I'd use it. What do you plan for its connections? That might help me think about it better. I may just need an example or two... (Bored Brain is in my hometown of Richmond...)
---

Unborn Gore
Common Wiggler

Post by Unborn Gore » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:20 pm

Oh, I am all about noise. Raised on doom metal, sludge, drone, industrial, dark ambient, noise, power electronics, and the like. Many of the acts I like and follow are one-man bands/noise artists.

That said, melodies (however spare or minimalist) still form the movements of all of those genres. It is just not as imperative or to the fore.

So discovering general sweet spots with the Stereo Field (or any of these devices) becomes more the thing for me than meticulously putting together “songs”.

If you ever get a chance to play with one, I’m sure you’ll discover your own sort of relationship with it. Lots of folk love running drums through it, myself I adore running it through delay and reverb as a sort of volatile, cloudy static machine. But you are right that it is not fundamentally given to melodic tones. It is much more apt for atonal (but often subtle) soundscapes and sonic screams.

Unborn Gore
Common Wiggler

Post by Unborn Gore » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:43 pm

Regarding the INTRFX: First and foremost it allows me to divide everything into three separate loops. So I can turn all devices on and then with the mix knobs control how much of each effects section enters a drone.

Secondly (if I’m seeing things correctly) if the switch is thrown on any channel (and there is no CV plugged in) that particular section feeds back into itself before entering the mix.

Third, Adding CV inputs allows me to either process the RA-99 with said effect sections, or process an effected voice with the RA-99 signal path. Then (if I’m not mistaken) I can feed either cumulative signal back into the RA-99 as a linear VCA modulation source just as I could feed the Grendel’s own sub back in for gnarled sounds.

The INTRFX essentially expands the sound palate of every machine it connects with.

pmboos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pmboos » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:52 am

Nice info on the Stereo Landscape... I do find it interesting. I guess I should try and find a way to play with one a bit to see if it is for me.

I recently moved into semi-modular and now going into modular (I picked up a Nifty Bundle), so I am still trying to get used to how effects can be best integrated. I am coming from doing keyboards through a keyboard mixer and then having a couple of effects loops that you just mix in, so this less structured approach to effects (and even crafting sound) is still a sometimes a bit mind boggling to me. The palette of choices is considerable.

I've loved Rare Waves' stuff since I heard it and now that I have a couple, I def look at everything Eric puts out.

When you get yours and put a piece together, even though our tastes may be pretty car apart, I'd love to hear a track in how you use it.
---

eleven
Learning to Wiggle

Post by eleven » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:41 pm

heckadecimal69 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:56 pm
eleven wrote:
Works great with Engine sequencing cv/gate, and any 303 clone that has cv/gate out (confirmed with Avalon & TD-3).
thank you!!
i have a Deluge and a tt-303 to sequence it with.
the tt-303 also has an accent out, which brings us to another question:
does anyone know how i could send an accent to the Grenadier from the Deluge? it has 2xcv/gate out. is there a way to send an accent from the Deluge into Grenadier's mod2 input? should i just send a trigger when i want an accented note?
there's no room in my live case for both the Grenadier and the tt-303.
btw, i am getting the Grenadier specifically for acid patterns..i love the idea of doing acid with something so different from a 303. i believe it's going to be killer

heckadecimal69
Common Wiggler

Post by heckadecimal69 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:07 pm

eleven wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:41 pm
heckadecimal69 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:56 pm
eleven wrote:
thank you!!
i have a Deluge and a tt-303 to sequence it with.
the tt-303 also has an accent out, which brings us to another question:
does anyone know how i could send an accent to the Grenadier from the Deluge? it has 2xcv/gate out. is there a way to send an accent from the Deluge into Grenadier's mod2 input? should i just send a trigger when i want an accented note?
there's no room in my live case for both the Grenadier and the tt-303.
btw, i am getting the Grenadier specifically for acid patterns..i love the idea of doing acid with something so different from a 303. i believe it's going to be killer
You can send accent from some 303 clones (Avalon has "sweep" out, TD-3 doesn't output accent without a mod, not sure on TT) and experiment with the different CV ins on the Grendel. Also it won't be quite like a 303, you can send that CV sweep ('accent') to any of the 3 filters, or use a trig or gate to trigger one of the MODs. Many possibilities but it's not a 1 to 1 how accent works with a 303.

steffie268
Common Wiggler

Post by steffie268 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:55 pm

Yay!
This Friday I will trade my FR-777 for a Stillson Hammer Mk2, a 2hp Trim, 2 Befaco mults, some patchcables AND enough cash to order the RA-99 as soon as Schneider's gets it...
I'm so happy to finally have a proper sequencer for my DC2e, RA-9, Hydronium and (soon) RA-99 set-up - no more need to "waste" money on midi-to-cv convertor(s) either :) Lol, so far I've been using a FR Mobius and a Kenton Pro Solo (becaue the Mobius outputs 12V gates) and a sequential switch to keep things "interesting"...

Return to “General Gear”