Squarp Pyramid - New sequencer etc.

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:26 am

Choosing or getting a tool/instrument imo is not like choosing a girlfriend/boyfriend.
smile
What a comparison! :roll:

I don't know any big name producers. I know a few who have made it in a smaller way and nobody is using a hardware sequencer (or any hardware really) so there's that. When I talk to them and mention that I'm using hardware they clearly seem to think it's rather quaint but not where it's at...

The choice of hardware is purely a personal preference. I just want to have some fun making tunes, not make it in the music biz.

If I'm going to be using a piece of hardware as the sequencing hub of the rig, it has to have the ergonomics to suit me. I don't need to stare at some tiny LCD screen with abbreviated names while pressing squishy buttons.

The point of the comment is to express hope for a Pyramid 2 with a more "pro" industrial design, that's all. Squarp seem to have succeded with the Pyramid so maybe they can level up... Their support seems really good.

The Grump
Veteran Wiggler

Re: a

Post by The Grump » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:11 am

Sounds From The Shed wrote::yay: Squid is still better though. :tu:
Simple things for simple people, I guess.
Panason wrote:I don't know any big name producers. I know a few who have made it in a smaller way and nobody is using a hardware sequencer (or any hardware really) so there's that. When I talk to them and mention that I'm using hardware they clearly seem to think it's rather quaint but not where it's at...

I do, and quite a few of them have used and still use hardware sequencers, so there's not really that. And if the few small-timers are thinking that your using hardware is rather quaint...well that speaks a bit about those you choose to associate with then, doesn't it?
Sounds From The Shed wrote:...if you just want to have an instant release then the Squids the one.
Sounds to me like you need to get to know your Pyramid a bit better.

oscilloscope
Common Wiggler

Post by oscilloscope » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:01 pm

From the Pyramid site:

pyraOS V3.22
august 27, 2019

Bug fixes

● Improved RAM memory space, now the maximum number of events is 10000
● Note learn (multitrack mode) bug fixed
● Fixed error 2081 SD_LOAD

Licudi
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Squarp Pyramid - New sequencer etc.

Post by Licudi » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:11 pm

Mk.3 up on Squarp site site though the changes appear to be cosmetic. Anyone know if there's any other difference?

Also a minor OS update, pyraOS V3.23. Bug fixes:

● note learn was not working when omni mode = CH01 … CH16
● impossible to manually set note velocity after using midi in « note learn » (step mode) fixed
● Fixed error 317 PLAYER_TRACK

Man-In-A-Suitcase

Post by Man-In-A-Suitcase » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:54 pm

Last edited by Man-In-A-Suitcase on Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JankySwitch
Learning to Wiggle

Post by JankySwitch » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:59 am

I think I have a mk3. It looks the same anyway. I bought it a few months ago though.

I don't think there is anything different other than the silk screen. It still has the old style mini usb connector.
[bandcamp width=100% height=42 album=1705660099 size=small bgcol=ffffff linkcol=333333]

JankySwitch
Learning to Wiggle

Post by JankySwitch » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:02 am

I like the touchpad. I often have the y controlling for cut off over CV and X for panning something else.

It's handy being able to either record the modulation changes, play them in real-time or free up an LFO/sample and hold.
[bandcamp width=100% height=42 album=1705660099 size=small bgcol=ffffff linkcol=333333]

Licudi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Licudi » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:24 pm

When I look at today's hardware sequencers I find it depressing that 30+ year old designs such as the MSQ-700 and MMT-8 have much better ergonomics. Apart from storage and resolution there seems to have been a profound design regression; ease of use is very under-valued.

martibs
Learning to Wiggle

Post by martibs » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:24 pm

Is it possible to set up the Pyramid to work as a sort of Turing Machine, using the MIDI FX?

Voltcontrol
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Voltcontrol » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:47 pm

Licudi wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:24 pm
When I look at today's hardware sequencers I find it depressing that 30+ year old designs such as the MSQ-700 and MMT-8 have much better ergonomics. Apart from storage and resolution there seems to have been a profound design regression; ease of use is very under-valued.
Cirklon or Engine nail it pretty well.
The miditracks on Digitakt and Digitone are also pretty fun (no song mode being a big caveat though).

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:01 am

just checking, is there any hardware difference between the Mk2 and Mk3? or just cosmetics?
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

vegeta897
Learning to Wiggle

Post by vegeta897 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:55 am

behndy wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:01 am
just checking, is there any hardware difference between the Mk2 and Mk3? or just cosmetics?
No difference in the internals or connections. What you can see from pictures is the only difference.

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:19 am

gotcha! thanks!

Kattefjaes
Common Wiggler

Re:

Post by Kattefjaes » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:35 am

oscilloscope wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:15 am

Does one really think that people like Richard James, Brian Eno, Trentemoller, Fatboy Slim, Porter Robinson, William Orbit, Thomas Bangalter, Carl Craig, etc... would be likely to refuse using some piece of gear solely because it has silicone buttons, a display judged too small, and a tactile pad ?

Surfing Muffwiggler, GS, etc... I often realize the astronomic distance separating forum musicsters from the working pros who decide on gear by prioritizing rationally positives vs negatives, by being pragmatic, and most important with a goal to be achieved kept in mind.

Choosing or getting a tool/instrument imo is not like choosing a girlfriend/boyfriend.
:)
Wait, you're criticising people for not being "working pros" (with a spurious list of musicians that you've heard of); you're unhappy that people who make music for fun in their spare time are choosing hardware that they'll enjoy using? That seems illogical, to say the least.

Self-contained sequencers are a bit of an eccentricity these days, so if you've decided to use one at all you may as well use one you don't hate. Anyone trying to fly the "pragmatism" flag should consider a DAW.

I mean, thank goodness stuff like the Squid and the Pyramid still exist, but probably best not to be too condescending and try to stir up a holy war. For us stand-alone sequencer users, it's edge cases all the way down. Glass houses, stones, you know the drill.

(Came here to find the difference between revs, thread delivered with actual answers, silly willy waving aside. Thanks all, looks like a used V2 might be a bit of a bargain.)

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:52 pm

hassssss anybody written an instrument definition file for the Cycles or Minilogue XD?

also, doing one for the Black Box and not sure if this is a stupid way to go -

was thinking one instrument file for one channel of Out A with the notes for pads 1-8 renamed to Kick, Snare, HiHatOp, HiHatCL etc, then have those pads on the Black Box always set to channel 1, note play, always have pad 1 be Kick, pad 2 be Snare etc.

then i guess do a separate instrument file for each of the other 8 pads? so i can keep samples there for pitching and playing?

lol. not sure at ALL if that's the right way to roll.

oscilloscope
Common Wiggler

Re: Re:

Post by oscilloscope » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:25 pm

Kattefjaes wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:35 am

Wait, you're criticising people for not being "working pros" (with a spurious list of musicians that you've heard of); you're unhappy that people who make music for fun in their spare time are choosing hardware that they'll enjoy using? That seems illogical, to say the least.
Your depiction of my post being a salad of dime store sarcasm and hostility, all I can say is ...dude relax, and get some fresh air.

oscilloscope
Common Wiggler

Post by oscilloscope » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:27 pm

behndy wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:52 pm
hassssss anybody written an instrument definition file for the Cycles or Minilogue XD?
Best way to find this out is to check the Squarp/Pyramid forum where there are dozens of def. files listed.

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:55 pm

yeppers! did! found a Minilogue, but not the XD. they don't look crazy hard to do, so will play with some copy past later.

thanks!

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:57 am

murrrrr. so enamored with the Pyramid and it's possibilities, getting my head around writing patterns, learning the shortcuts, a bit confused about the proper workflow soooooo.... copy pasta from Pyramid forum, they're super nice but not as active as Muffs.

i might just be approaching this completely wrong and confusing myself. but i’m a little stumped on the proper workflow for moving from section to section of songs with the Pyramid.

i imagined having a base starter file, always have the 16 tracks in first view going to their designated synth/drum machine MIDI channel. ie -

Pad 1 Elektron Cycles
Pad 2 Korg XD
Pad 3 1010 Black Box
etc.

then set each pad to the correct MIDI channel for the device, always know that when i started a project 1 is Cycles, 2 is XD, 3 is BB and so on.

but that ends up giving no room for variations on a 16 Track view. right now i have 1-14 set to their default destinations, so…

start a new song, write a drum part for Cycles on Pad 1, a melody for XD on pad 2, a sample changing start points on pad 3… do i go to the next bank for alternate beats or melodies? that seems like it would get messy.

is it just a bad idea to work from a Everything Has It’s Place file? do most people start and just add parts to each pad as they go? how do you keep track of what is where?

any advice appreciated.

thanks!

JankySwitch
Learning to Wiggle

Post by JankySwitch » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:40 am

You want to use patterns. They're a bit awkward (no specific button, I don't think they existed when the Pyramid was launched).

Press 2nd + Track and select Ptn (you need to do this for each track you want patterns for). Then to select / change patterns, go to the track you want, then press Step + Track to bring up the pattern select. When you are creating a sequence, you can also pick which pattern you are using for each track.

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:44 am

lol. see. was totally unaware of that. murf.

the manual is a little confusing to me, i kept reading Patterns and thought they were just referencing Tracks in a differernt way.

thank you! will look at that today.

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:19 pm

ahhhhhh. durp. hurpa DURP.

this confused me at first, hearing from y'all and going back reading it i feel a little biscuit arsed -

nice! we're on lockdown here in the Bay Area, so soon as i get up, DIVING.

seeeeems like it would have been neat to have a Pattern button, but looks exactly like what i was trying to do.

thanks again!

Return to “General Gear”