Squarp Pyramid - New sequencer etc.

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Low Life
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Low Life » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:19 am

Daisuk wrote:
autopoiesis wrote:@Daisuk, have you tried switching patterns with the TRACK+STEP+PAD# shortcut? it makes the pattern workflow comparably fluid, to me

@visible cow, only forward playback of patterns. squarp has been aware since the beginning that a lot of sequencer freaks would like this but I guess they didn't find an event model that could work for this along with all the midi fx and polyrhythmic/metric track timings.

playback of long unquantized sequences is definitely something it's really good at
Hey, yeah, I've tried that, and gotten it to work well, but where it gets confusing and a bit slow to me is when you have several tracks with several patterns each and want to create what squarp call sequences with them. If there was more of an overview way of switching patterns of multiple tracks at once instead of having to enter every track and then select pattern, it'd work. I just lose a bit of overview of which patterns I have selected where. Sequence mode really could be better at displaying some sort of overview, in my opinion. But then again, just using tracks is nice, as you get to mix midi fx around as you wish, which is ace. :)
One thing you can do is make it so that any new sequence is by default attached to patterns at the same index. So sequence 1 is using pattern 1 of every track, sequence 2 is using pattern 2 etc.. This is at settings -> misc -> auto pattern.

This makes it a bit more like an Elektron style device, but you can still manually mess around with the pattern numbers afterwards so they're not strictly tied.

Hirsbro
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Hirsbro » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:30 pm

Low Life wrote:
Daisuk wrote:
autopoiesis wrote:@Daisuk, have you tried switching patterns with the TRACK+STEP+PAD# shortcut? it makes the pattern workflow comparably fluid, to me

@visible cow, only forward playback of patterns. squarp has been aware since the beginning that a lot of sequencer freaks would like this but I guess they didn't find an event model that could work for this along with all the midi fx and polyrhythmic/metric track timings.

playback of long unquantized sequences is definitely something it's really good at
Hey, yeah, I've tried that, and gotten it to work well, but where it gets confusing and a bit slow to me is when you have several tracks with several patterns each and want to create what squarp call sequences with them. If there was more of an overview way of switching patterns of multiple tracks at once instead of having to enter every track and then select pattern, it'd work. I just lose a bit of overview of which patterns I have selected where. Sequence mode really could be better at displaying some sort of overview, in my opinion. But then again, just using tracks is nice, as you get to mix midi fx around as you wish, which is ace. :)
One thing you can do is make it so that any new sequence is by default attached to patterns at the same index. So sequence 1 is using pattern 1 of every track, sequence 2 is using pattern 2 etc.. This is at settings -> misc -> auto pattern.

This makes it a bit more like an Elektron style device, but you can still manually mess around with the pattern numbers afterwards so they're not strictly tied.
This sounds really great but I cant make it work as I thought it would.. for instance if I select seq 9 I thought all my tracks would select pattern 9.. they do not in fact they do nothing.. hmm Ive gone into settings and selected "At new sqq" its the only other option besides "off" :hmm:

Low Life
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Low Life » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:26 pm

Hirsbro wrote:
Low Life wrote:One thing you can do is make it so that any new sequence is by default attached to patterns at the same index. So sequence 1 is using pattern 1 of every track, sequence 2 is using pattern 2 etc.. This is at settings -> misc -> auto pattern.

This sounds really great but I cant make it work as I thought it would.. for instance if I select seq 9 I thought all my tracks would select pattern 9.. they do not in fact they do nothing.. hmm Ive gone into settings and selected "At new sqq" its the only other option besides "off" :hmm:
Yes it will only work if you have not used that sequence before, basically you should set it on when you start a new project and from that point it should work smoothly. Of course you also need to have pattern mode enabled on the tracks themselves. The association happening only on new sequences makes it less restrictive, for example you can later go in and change one track to use pattern 8 instead in sequence 9.

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:22 am

Low Life wrote:
Daisuk wrote:

Yeah, thanks for the suggestion - I've read about that, but it's not really for my workflow. Have had a couple of sessions trying out patterns now, and once I got into the workflow it's actually pretty fast. Will stick with it for a bit and see how it goes. :)

RickKleffel
Wiggling with Experience

Post by RickKleffel » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:44 pm

So far, all of this has been theoretical for me. I love sequencers, especially in multiples, running both in sync and asynchronously to any engaged master clock.

Now one of these is for sale, but the price seems kinda high, $599. It's a hundred bucks savings, I'm inclined to go to Square and get a new one. Is this a golden opportunity or just another yawner?

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:53 pm

That euclidian sequencer though! Goddamn. 8-)

Hirsbro
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Hirsbro » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:07 am

Low Life wrote:
Hirsbro wrote:
Low Life wrote:One thing you can do is make it so that any new sequence is by default attached to patterns at the same index. So sequence 1 is using pattern 1 of every track, sequence 2 is using pattern 2 etc.. This is at settings -> misc -> auto pattern.

Yes it will only work if you have not used that sequence before, basically you should set it on when you start a new project and from that point it should work smoothly. Of course you also need to have pattern mode enabled on the tracks themselves. The association happening only on new sequences makes it less restrictive, for example you can later go in and change one track to use pattern 8 instead in sequence 9.
Ill give that a try thanks

Hirsbro
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Hirsbro » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:10 am

Daisuk wrote:That euclidian sequencer though! Goddamn. 8-)
Yeah I just wish you could modulate the rotation as you can with one of the knobs that could be cool

oldgearguy
Wiggling with Experience

Post by oldgearguy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:26 am

Use whatever sequencer you have and just enter the Euclidean pattern(s) by hand.

I wrote some code (and also an Excel spreadsheet macro) to generate Euclidean patterns. There's no magic to them and other sequencers may be more flexible allowing you to rotate your patterns or have multiples going on, etc.

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:09 am

oldgearguy wrote:
Use whatever sequencer you have and just enter the Euclidean pattern(s) by hand.

I wrote some code (and also an Excel spreadsheet macro) to generate Euclidean patterns. There's no magic to them and other sequencers may be more flexible allowing you to rotate your patterns or have multiples going on, etc.
Yeah, I know you can, but having it implemented like this is excellent. Easy to create variations and in combination with more regular sequencing, can get some pretty awesome results.

Shrigg
Common Wiggler

Post by Shrigg » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:54 pm

Those euclidian rhythms are so cool. This video sold me on how quick you can cook up cool shit with the Pyramid

[video][/video]
Oberheim Xpander w/ Oddernmart Xpander Xpansion / Octatrack / Digitakt / virus ti2 desktop / TT-303 mk.2 / TT-606 / Nord Lead 12 voice expanded / Emax II rack / blofeld keys / micromonsta / little phatty stage 2 [for sale] / moxf8 / minilogue / bs2 / OP-1 / organelle / pocket piano / axoloti + push / mfb-522 / circuit / volca sample

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:59 pm

So i played around with Euclidian rhythms for a bit, it's pretty cool. Then i decided to assign some CC to the black knobs. Now when i want to use these knobs to define the euclidian parameters they instead have the function of CC??

umm, why is this? Shouldn't the obvious thing be that the CC function is turned off when the machine needs them for default functions? Does adding CC to these knobs ruin other default things as well if you use them for CC? seems very strange, maybe i've missed something.

autopoiesis
Ultra Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:10 pm

be sure to send squarp an email about this. I'm afraid they've been winding down their support for the pyramid and that the community around it has been adapting to "resignation" (fwiw it is still an incredible sequencer, just with some quirks and fairly sizable missed opportunities) about the state it's in, so add your voice into the mix

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:25 pm

autopoiesis wrote:be sure to send squarp an email about this. I'm afraid they've been winding down their support for the pyramid and that the community around it has been adapting to "resignation" (fwiw it is still an incredible sequencer, just with some quirks and fairly sizable missed opportunities) about the state it's in, so add your voice into the mix
I found the solution. I need to press assign first.

Kind of a dumb design imo.. why not just automatically let the encoders do what they should do in this particular scenario, why would i want to mess with CC's on my synth if i'm editing a drum pattern on a completely different channel, or in Euclidian mode. Whatever :)

DJ Tap Water
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DJ Tap Water » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:22 pm

Sooooo, just to be absolutely clear about this, the pyramid cannot send slewed volt per octave cv? The manual is extremely vague on how cv sequencing is handled - like can you sequence different gate lengths? And what exactly is the ENV cv out? Any owners please lmk since these seem pretty big things for me and I'm thinking about scooping one... The midi effects look pretty sweet :miley: :miley: :miley: :miley: :miley:

oscilloscope
Common Wiggler

Post by oscilloscope » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:08 am

autopoiesis wrote:I'm afraid they've been winding down their support for the pyramid and that the community around it has been adapting to "resignation" (fwiw it is still an incredible sequencer, just with some quirks and fairly sizable missed opportunities) about the state it's in, so add your voice into the mix
LOL !! the latest version of Pyramid OS (which brought in lots of new functionalities) is from December 19th 2018. Do you expect new OS versions every couple months ? Is that what Elektron or Synthstrom do: new OSes with new features every 60 days ?

By the way, what apparently privileged information allows you to claim that Pyramid support is winding down and that the Pyramid community is adapting to "resignation" ?

Or is it just you opinion ?

I am asking this because I happen to belong to this Pyramid community.

:mrgreen:

autopoiesis
Ultra Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:21 am

3.1 did come with some surprises along with the bug fixes, but with 3.0 squarp made it clear that they do not intend to change or add features from that point on - only patching bugs, and UI improvements don't fall in that category. it's a wonderful sequencer and I love it, and yes I am entitled to opinions :)

kragg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by kragg » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:37 am

I think that the processor handling everything under the hood is already quite maxed out, so it might not be possible to add that much features...
Still, the Pyramid is an excellent sequencer, and it evolved very nicely from v1 to v3.1 ;)

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:05 am

The CV and Gate In's are pretty fun to use, just tried it..

I connected Mutable Instruments Marbles to Pyramid and let its gate/CV control my Digitone.. gonna have a blast with recording wonky rhythms from euro to MIDI :)

Overall i'm really happy i got one.. it reminds me of the first weeks into eurorack, so much fun to discover and learning it has been more fun than frustrating (can't say the same for e.g Elektron gear, which I often find annoying)

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:12 pm

Squarp have more or less said they are done with this. I hope they will move on to a bigger version with plastic mechanical buttons, 8 encoders that can follow the mode you're working in, and a big touch screen above them.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:21 pm

why plastic buttons?? the pads feel great, if there's one thing which they obviously should have included is to make them velocity sensitive.
Touch screen, i don't know, you actually work faster with buttons/encoders i believe...

more CV inputs (3 x gate/CV) would be nice. i wouldn't mind one bit if the unit got almost twice as large as long as they can include a big color screen and more CV...

And yeah, i remember them saying they're done with it, i was surprised to see an update in december though :)

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:00 pm

One of the things Elektron gear has got going for it is the mechanical plastic buttons. If you have never tried one, a similar experience is mechanical computer keyboards or quality arcade joystick buttons.

Not only do these switches last a lot longer, they are a superior tactile experience and are much more reliable for performance situations. They will always trigger when you press them, without any uncertainty....

Rubber buttons were never used because they are better in any way - it's because they are much cheaper for the manufacturer.

A combination of touch screen with buttons and encoders around it would offer the ideal GUI for a MIDI sequencer IMO... and the touch screen could replace the touch pad for XY modulations.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:59 pm

I have 2 elektrons, i don't know, i think i prefer pads, but my music is also very drum based, for drumming pads are just superior to something like a button.

yeah the touch pad i don't care for much, it's huge and dumb mostly, lots of other things could have taken its place, 4 encoders more would have been twice as good.

Struggle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Struggle » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:47 pm

I plan on experimenting with the live looper setting tomorrow. Anyone been using this feature and have any tips/tricks to share?

oscilloscope
Common Wiggler

Post by oscilloscope » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:20 am

New OS available for Pyramid ... version 3.2.
New features
● SETTINGS > MISC > PLAY PAD = RESTART 1/16, RESTART 1/8, RESTART BEAT, RESTART BAR. Enable you to press PLAY to restart all tracks in sync with the tempo.
● ASSIGN GLOBAL CC: when ASSIGN TYPE is PER PROJECT, to assign a CC message globally (the CC channel will follow the selected track channel), hold 2ND when selecting the CC number in the CC assignation list.
● Assign the CV output ENV OUT to note pitch or gate: hold TRACK + CHANNEL, and rotate the menu encoder (left) while pressing it. NOTE ENV will output the pitch of notes to the ENV output (1V/octave), GATE ENV will output the gate of notes (useful to trig external drum for example).

Bug fixes
● Changing a track midi channel did not update the CC assignations.
● Now the metronome is played high on all strong beats.
● Note longer than 26 bars are now saved without being corrupted on SD card.
● When loading a project, sometimes, polyrhythmic notes notes were slightly moved, creating an offset.
● Now, when you paste a track, the track will be muted by default.
● Fixed the pattern P01 "MSL/LSB selection" bug.
● Duplicate function now copy all CC automation of the track (instead of the selected CC automation).
● Fixed error 304 IHM_LOOP
● Fixed error 5996 SCREEN PRINT
● Fixed error 8784 SCREEN PRINT
● Fixed error 1445 SCREEN FUNCTION
● Fixed error 878 TRACK

It's also a breeze to install.

https://squarp.net/pyraos

Return to “General Gear”