Squarp Pyramid - New sequencer etc.

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Struggle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Struggle » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:33 am

I got the Pyramid mostly to control my Parva and it’s turning out to be a great companion. Sequencing chords and the separate voices in multi-mode is nice and easy. The Parva can also power the Pyramid via midi host output :nana:

Been digging the live looping mode! I plugged a few foot switches into the pedal input with a insert/y-cable and enjoyed recording, playing and stopping with my feet. Worked perfectly.

Sounds From The Shed
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Sounds From The Shed » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:26 am

[video][/video]

Got hold of a Squarp Pyramid so this is the first go with it.

Used a Techno System, Custom Erica FX and Modulation modular, Analogue Solutions Polymath, Deepmind 12, Boog D and Nuetron.

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:34 pm

i'm way too lazy by nature. this is my second pyramid, and I've never really spent the necessary time with it until now....always deferring to more classic step sequencers - whether analog, or midi (like the schrittmacher).

but I just was determined to really sit down it the pyramid this weekend and just, well, learn it - or at least learn enough so that I could experiment with it, have fun, and not be intimidated because of how different it is from what I've used before.

Holy fuck. this thing is brilliant. Not too much left of the weekend, but I'm going to keep on messing with this, and see how crazy it can get.

Thus far - set to loop mode, and recorded a long sequencer from the roli seaboard 49 with a bunch of controllers. Added midi fx (those are really, really cool - never thought they'd be). Next for this track is to set the knobs to control them and record that automation.

track 2 - set to take in cv/gate from the fenix 3, and then control a polysynth. hmmm - need some poly so am using the harmonizer. Just fabulous that this works in the cv to midi chain. Then the next step here to is to control the various pitches of the harmonizer.....

well, still some more time today, later on, to mess with this more.

Sounds From The Shed
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Sounds From The Shed » Thu May 23, 2019 7:23 am

[video][/video]

Here's a video I did showing the workflow and song creation process for a live performance. Used the Squarp Pyramid this time.

The Grump
Veteran Wiggler

Post by The Grump » Sun May 26, 2019 5:02 am

Just got mine, and I'm just trying to figure out why I waited so long before getting it. I can record an idea, quantize it, edit it, play with it a little then move on and record another idea to go with the previous one, all without stopping, unlike with an MPC, and it has solid timing, unlike Ableton. So much bullshit out of the way! I can actually put my gear through its paces now.

There are a few features that I wish it had, like Hermode Tuning and user definable scales, but whatever, the only polysynth I have that lacks it is my TG-77, no biggie. It would be nice if the CV could be Hermode tuned, so that my modular would be in tune with my Waldorfs, but it's not a simple request and I get that. Still working out a lot of the editing features to effectively create and modify patterns quickly, but that will come with practice. Definitely happy to have it.

oscilloscope
Common Wiggler

Post by oscilloscope » Sun May 26, 2019 10:10 am

The Grump wrote:Just got mine, and I'm just trying to figure out why I waited so long before getting it.
Good for you !! I love mine. Also check out if you got the latest OS (in April).

https://squarp.net/pyraos

Sounds From The Shed
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Sounds From The Shed » Wed May 29, 2019 12:35 pm

[video][/video]

This song was sequenced by the Squarp Pyramid all synth parts where played in using live using Live Record.

Moog One
Waldorf Quantum
Prophet XL
Boog D
Erica Techno System
DJS 1000
MS-101
Qu32 Mixer
Jesus on Vocals

Sounds From The Shed
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Sounds From The Shed » Fri May 31, 2019 7:12 am

[video][/video]

Another Squarp Song

It’s called IED. It’s based around a repeating 101 Bass line that
Is built upon with various other synths and percussion

The theme is “Reap what you Sow”

The Grump
Veteran Wiggler

Post by The Grump » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:50 am

oscilloscope wrote:
The Grump wrote:Just got mine, and I'm just trying to figure out why I waited so long before getting it.
Good for you !! I love mine. Also check out if you got the latest OS (in April).

https://squarp.net/pyraos

I had by the time I read this, thanks! Pretty awesome machine so far! There are hiccups, but they're being worked out.

guigui
Wiggling with Experience

Post by guigui » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:12 am

People, I need some help.

I am looking for a sequencer to pair with my rack. I've been eyeing Make Noise René for a while but then I've seen ann annie using Hermod and Pyramid got into my radar. Why not Hermod? I think René and Pyramid allows for more live interaction than Hermod, which seems like a "plan everything first" kind of sequencer.

But the importante point is I like to experiment with generative music. So I wanted a sequencer that allows me to randomize notes in a scale or track. Maybe randomize velocity. René allows that through the snake pattern and the inputs. But it's just 3 tracks.

Pyramids seems to be much more versatile but I'd have to get a MIDI to CV module.

I wanted to know from you guys if I can make generative music with considerable randomization with it.

kragg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by kragg » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:24 am

Yes, you can.
You can randomize velocity, note probability, note pitch, octave, etc.
The main thing being that each track can chain several midiFX, so if you want to go subtle, you can, but if you want to go nuts, you can too :)
Add to this that you can have 2 tracks (or more) routed to the same instrument, so one track could have the "main melody", and the other one could have modulations, automation, randomization that you can toggle on/off, etc.

guigui
Wiggling with Experience

Post by guigui » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:19 am

kragg wrote:Yes, you can.
You can randomize velocity, note probability, note pitch, octave, etc.
The main thing being that each track can chain several midiFX, so if you want to go subtle, you can, but if you want to go nuts, you can too :)
Add to this that you can have 2 tracks (or more) routed to the same instrument, so one track could have the "main melody", and the other one could have modulations, automation, randomization that you can toggle on/off, etc.
That's awesome!

Is there any disadvantage on using a Hermod with a MIDI controller for the same thing? Is it less capable in some way?

The Grump
Veteran Wiggler

Post by The Grump » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:06 pm

One thing I am hoping that Squarp will do is allow one to route one track into another to record it post effects, so that instead of just copying a track across, quantizations and Chance passes/variations are already in place, allowing one to make happy accidents permanent additions to a track.

hdd
Wiggling with Experience

Post by hdd » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:57 am

Hello,

I don't have the pyramid but looking a lot to have one in the future
Anyone knows how the bpm effect automation are functionning ?
Is it possible to make some kind of automated acceleration on a pattern, or variation of bpm on a lonely pattern.

Thanks

oscilloscope
Common Wiggler

Post by oscilloscope » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:08 am

The Grump wrote:One thing I am hoping that Squarp will do is allow one to route one track into another to record it post effects, so that instead of just copying a track across, quantizations and Chance passes/variations are already in place, allowing one to make happy accidents permanent additions to a track.
Plse check out the CONSOLIDATE feature in Pyramid track mode.

The Grump
Veteran Wiggler

Post by The Grump » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:33 am

oscilloscope wrote:
The Grump wrote:One thing I am hoping that Squarp will do is allow one to route one track into another to record it post effects, so that instead of just copying a track across, quantizations and Chance passes/variations are already in place, allowing one to make happy accidents permanent additions to a track.
Plse check out the CONSOLIDATE feature in Pyramid track mode.
Thanks for the tip, I shall do just that!

The Grump
Veteran Wiggler

Post by The Grump » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:03 pm

Follow-up:

Well, THAT is a strange place to put peanut butter...or a Consolidate command!
:razz:

So I guess about the only major facility that I see as missing from this marvel of modern technology is the ability to load tracks from other Projects into the currently open one without having to pull the SD card out and move them over with a computer. It's the one thing that keeps the Pyramid from being able to transition from Project to Project seamlessly in a live setting.

I know you can pull the SD card while it's running, dump the tracks from one project into another with a computer, or even just some to create a transition into the next project, then put the card back into the Pyramid, and reload the current project with the transition tracks and patterns, but that's a rather clunky process, and the sequencer on the Pyramid stops (though it will keep sending clock to other gear which is quite cool) when either loading or saving. The sequencer stopping at the instant of loading new tracks I could handle, and I'd rather avoid swapping the card back and forth in a live setting if I can avoid it, but I see no other option other than having a track or two from each of the group of projects I have for a set pre-loaded into maybe bank C or D, and transition by playing into those tracks prior to loading their whole parent project.

The whole idea is to be able to go from any project to any other project at will, to adapt to the vibe of the crowd as needs be.

Would anyone have other ideas on how to accomplish this?

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:28 am

The Grump wrote: being able to transition from Project to Project seamlessly in a live setting.
Do you really need that? Why should a live set be just like a DJ set? I think you'd get more of a "live " experience (and crowd response) if you actually stopped for a few seconds onlybetween tracks. This is especially true if the live set is sandwiched between DJ sets, as it would let the crowd know that something different is happening.

You could use a drum machine to fill in the gaps but I read on Squarp forum that there was a problem with the Pyramid's clock output while loading a project. You could just manually start the drum machine on the beat, like DJs used to do!

I used to have an RM50 drum module which had a metronome that you could assign any sample to. My sequencer was the Kawai Q80 :confused: and you have to stop between projects with that-- so I would drop the beat and then manually start the RM50 metronome playing a 909 kick drum, while loading the next project, then manually start the sequencer on the beat :help:

The Grump
Veteran Wiggler

Post by The Grump » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:08 am

Panason wrote:
The Grump wrote: being able to transition from Project to Project seamlessly in a live setting.
Do you really need that?
Yes, I do. I don't really care who you think you are or who you think you're talking to, but get the fact into your head that you are way out of line when you question somebody else's abilities and methods with such condescension. If someone else says they want a feature in a piece of gear, and why they want it, don't you fucking dare try to tell them how they should handle the dynamics of their own live performance. It's just wrong on so many levels.

Maybe you think you were offering some sage advice to a n00b who hasn't already played for thousands of people at a time, on numerous occasions, but that would be your own rather erroneous assumption, and the fact is that you DO NOT know better than them when it comes to how they want to perform and express themselves, no matter what their previous performance experiences are.
Panason wrote:Why should a live set be just like a DJ set?

It's not at all, but I see your vision is narrow enough to assume so. If somebody wants to perform or have the option to perform a certain way, why should you try to degrade them?
Panason wrote:I think you'd get more of a "live " experience (and crowd response) if you actually stopped for a few seconds onlybetween tracks. This is especially true if the live set is sandwiched between DJ sets, as it would let the crowd know that something different is happening.
It's nothing personal, but I don't really give a fuck what YOU think MY experience would be in terms of more or less "live". Nor do I give a fuck about what you consider what qualifies as more or less "live". I KNOW how to perform live, and I KNOW which features I want my tools to have, how, when, and why to use them. Please stop assuming otherwise. It is a disservice to us both.

tenembre

Post by tenembre » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:18 am

Well, if I had to use a Q80 as my sequencer, I'd have a shitty attitude too, and possibly permanent brain damage.

pmboos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pmboos » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:24 pm

tenembre wrote:Well, if I had to use a Q80 as my sequencer, I'd have a shitty attitude too, and possibly permanent brain damage.
Hey watch it now, I like my Q80. (Just joking on the watch it, but I do like my Q80.)
---
“What actions can be taken to create a joyful, inspiring, and productive work environment?"

tenembre

Post by tenembre » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:26 pm

pmboos wrote:
tenembre wrote:Well, if I had to use a Q80 as my sequencer, I'd have a shitty attitude too, and possibly permanent brain damage.
Hey watch it now, I like my Q80. (Just joking on the watch it, but I do like my Q80.)
I'm sure it works well with your Yamaha TX16W.

[edit- this was an attempt at humor. Oh well...]
Last edited by tenembre on Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KaOsphere
Wiggling with Experience

Post by KaOsphere » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:19 am

Tenembre are you using your pyramid along the squid ? Especillay for those "loading projects moments" ?

P.S : Seems that the thread is missing some really interesting posts about moderation...
:hihi:
Sig !

tenembre

Post by tenembre » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:33 am

Nah I sold the Pyramid off a while back. I use an SP-16.

I have other, more comprehensive sequencers, but I keep getting drawn back to the bunch-of-drum-machines approach.

Sounds From The Shed
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Sounds From The Shed » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:59 am

tenembre wrote:Nah I sold the Pyramid off a while back. I use an SP-16.

I have other, more comprehensive sequencers, but I keep getting drawn back to the bunch-of-drum-machines approach.
I'd really like to hear an audio sample of your approach to sequencers...

Return to “General Gear”