Musikmesse 2015: E-RM Multiclock -no more DAW sync problems?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Musikmesse 2015: E-RM Multiclock -no more DAW sync problems?

Post by flx » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:15 pm

E-RM Erfindungsbüro have a new clock device, which is supposed to fix jittery clocks from you DAW once and for all.

[video][/video]
You can also find and contact me here:
tuesdaynightmachines@gmail.com
YouTube
Instagram
nightmachines.tv

budz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by budz » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:25 pm

Innerclock/Expert Sleepers/SND Acme has been doing this for years. But this new box looks cool too :tu:

mateo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mateo » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:48 pm

Slightly more affordable than the SND Acme :)

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:16 pm

mateo wrote:Slightly more affordable than the SND Acme :)
Yeah, the ACME4 is not exactly cheap but I have to say it's the best money I ever invested in a device. It's far more than just a clock, very very playable, rock solid and built like a tank.

The midi clock box is an ok addition I guess but ... we don't know it's price! :cry:
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:26 pm

Actually I found info on their site:
Multiclock will be available from May 2015.

The MRSP is 449 € for the standard version, 519 euro with € .

Whereas the ACME4 is 839,50 € w/out VAT. I'm very curious about the functionality. In the video they said "you can start and stop them on the fly", which is not as cool as the SND which always starts things at the beginning of beat 1 bar 1. Also their shift is +/- 250ms which is very weird considering that it depends on the BPM. So it must be something other than that, right?

Anyway, I'm not really interested in the MIDI mapping and CC controls this one offers (meh!) but I'm interested in the clocking capabilities. The flier says 4XMIDI/Synch/Modular clock but I can only see one jack output in the images.

venus_3036
Common Wiggler

Post by venus_3036 » Sun May 17, 2015 7:27 am

looking forward seeing how people fare with this.. i wonder for the build quality.

ACME4 really sounds like a dream still

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Sun May 17, 2015 8:33 am

venus_3036 wrote:ACME4 really sounds like a dream still
In what sense?

kstl
Common Wiggler

Post by kstl » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:15 am

They are listed in Schneidersladen already http://www.schneidersladen.de/en/news

Interesting in this and the ACME4 also, I'm working in studio now with the Sync-Gen IILS and is cool for the modular because the trigger outs, but really looking forward to get something like this for live use, I need more midi outs for machines, and 14HP more free in my case is a benefit also.

How is the ACME4 Paranormal Patroler? It works from the DAW master signal and send from there like the Sync-Gen?
[/quote]

echoplex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by echoplex » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:14 am

Paranormal Patroler wrote:Actually I found info on their site:
In the video they said "you can start and stop them on the fly", which is not as cool as the SND which always starts things at the beginning of beat 1 bar 1.
this is what the multiclock also does..starting devices at the 1st beat of a bar.

kstl
Common Wiggler

Post by kstl » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:25 am

ordered mine at schneiders, let's see how works :guinness:

echoplex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by echoplex » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:43 pm

kstl wrote:ordered mine at schneiders, let's see how works :guinness:
same here :tu:

reflecto
Common Wiggler

Post by reflecto » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:02 pm

how are you guys liking your E-RM multi clocks? Curious to see if this device is living up to expectation.

FACTORFICTIONTRIO
Learning to Wiggle

e-rm multiclock studio review

Post by FACTORFICTIONTRIO » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:57 pm

i wanna share my first experiences with the e-rm multiclock in my studio.
it looks solid, it's small - fits perfectly on the left top of my juno, once you've figured out where to put the plugin to, you are ready to start ( the plugin needs to be put into the library folder where the au plugins are, very easy to find out in the web ).
on my daw i send out a -8dBFS level to the mc audio in. threshold on the mc menu set to 30. i couldn't get it work with the audiosample though.
standalone works fine. great to connect all hardware sequencer and get it going so easily and tight. i've never had my modular wall running so tight to my daw.
i think the mc is a bit too expensive, but well, it solved my problems...i've got
the usb version. not sure exactly what benefit it is to have usb on board, but i wanted to have the full package right from the start. nerds just wanna have fun.

FACTORFICTIONTRIO
Learning to Wiggle

lovin' it

Post by FACTORFICTIONTRIO » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:53 am

reflecto wrote:how are you guys liking your E-RM multi clocks? Curious to see if this device is living up to expectation.
it's just great and the guys at e-rm are supernice and helpful

timoka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by timoka » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:08 am

i finally realized that i need a better clock source eg a better way to clock everything in my studio. the acme seems to be the best solution but also the most expensive so now i am considering the e-rm multiclock. i have a question though about the four channels, they write that you can use all four channels to output analog clock....but how is that possible, on the pictures i see only one jack output...? maybe someone here can help me with this, is there some kind of adapter for this? thanks

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:13 am

Keep in mind that even the ACME4 only outputs 2 analog clocks (albeit with start stop etc as the jacks are stereo).

timoka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by timoka » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:24 am

...i just found this:

http://www.schneidersladen.de/en/erm-modular-whip.html

great, so all four channels can output analog clock!

cn70
Common Wiggler

Post by cn70 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:49 am

I've had mine for about a month and its been rock solid so far, both the timing and the build itself. Hasn't dropped a beat and its 4 completely independent channels each output either din, clock, midi or LFO with its own offset, shuffle, divisions or f.ex trig sk. that skips the first clock out so that my arp sequencer (which resets to 1 and then starts from 2) is on the same step as my 808, 909 and beatstep pro. It even outputs a trigger strong enough to clock my OB8 arpeggiator, something thats been kind of a problem up until now. I've made my own 5 pole din to mini jack whip that follows the normal dinsync standard, so f.ex for my arp sequencer it outputs clock on pin 3 and start/stop/reset on pin 1. I only use it for sync of ext gear, but since i've got the USB version it can also be used as a standalone midi interface, midi mapper or midicontroller. Everything is easily programmed via the LCD with a minimum of menu diving, so the usb isn't a must if its only used for sync. It has changed my way of working now to more or less completely OTB, because i dont have to start my daw anymore to start jamming. Its really great to work with other people say f.ex one is doing a beat on a 808 and im setting up a sequence on the beatstep with the ability to start/stop my sequence for further tweaks or whatever, without starting/stopping everything and thereby interupting the other guys flow. Once were happy with what we got going, we clock it from protools 10 with the trig sample from e-rm's homepage via a separate output on the avid hardware and multitrack all the stuff, works every time.

I haven't tried the acme or the inner clock stuff but i can't imagine how they could be better in any way, and at about half the price. Highly recommended

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:40 am

cn70 wrote:I haven't tried the acme or the inner clock stuff but i can't imagine how they could be better in any way, and at about half the price. Highly recommended
Since you asked, ACME4 has more features. So there, it's better in that it can do more things. :razz:

cn70
Common Wiggler

Post by cn70 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:59 am

Paranormal Patroler wrote:
cn70 wrote:I haven't tried the acme or the inner clock stuff but i can't imagine how they could be better in any way, and at about half the price. Highly recommended
Since you asked, ACME4 has more features. So there, it's better in that it can do more things. :razz:
Well the Multiclock doesn't have user swing patterns and half/double tempo online switches (you can however change it with divisions in the menus to half, 1/4 the tempo etc.haven't tried it yet but will investigate later today) and can't offset 1/2 bar (max is 300 ms) however AFAIK the acme doesn't have a syncable lfo, doesn't sync to dinsync or midi input (only to 16t/bar clock in and via daw usb-midi) and you cant assign the knobs to send out midi controllers. Different features maybe, not more :tu: Please do tell if I'm missing something, im not interested in a mineisbetterthanyours, but seing this as a ps to people interested in a cool sync solution. The 2 boxes are similar, but do have their differences that i personally would be interested in, depending on my needs

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:14 am

cn70 wrote:
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
Well the Multiclock doesn't have user swing patterns and half/double tempo online switches (you can however change it with divisions in the menus) however AFAIK the acme doesn't have a syncable lfo, doesn't sync to dinsync or midi input (only to 16t/bar clock in and via daw usb-midi) and you cant assign the knobs to send out midi controllers. Different features maybe, not more :tu: Please do tell if I'm missing something, im not interested in a mineisbetterthanyours, but see this as a ps to people interested in a cool sync solution. The 2 boxes are similar, but do have their differences that i personally would be interested in, depending on my needs

Hahahaha! Nah, I don't care for a duel either. I'm gonna get the ERM as a second option myself. Personally I find the CC features of the ERM as kinda stupid; if I wanted a controller I would've bought one. We're talking clocks here, right?

ACME4 has jitter free clock and it's syncable to either USB or analog clock. You can change the division of the incoming clock on each of the 4 channels. It's not designed as a device to run on other clocks as it's the most stable clock out there. It figures.

It can do DinSync on its outputs and Start/Stop/Clock on it's analog outputs. Additionally it starts and stops all the clocks on bar 1, beat 1 and the mult/div switches, swing patterns and 1/16th shifts make it extremely playable. I love it but I will check the ERM for two reasons:

a) It's cheaper
b) It's a new company and we need to support 'em

The only thing that kinda bugs me is that they didn't work the UI much. Honestly now, it looks like an ACME4 ffs. I wanna see the menu for myself and I'll probably keep both in the end (you can't have enough clocks as far as my setup is concerned).

cn70
Common Wiggler

Post by cn70 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:52 am

Hehe maybe I'm traumatised from spending to much time on gs

Agreed, the acme does look a lot more playable with dedicated 16th shift knobs and multi/div switches. The multiclock only lets you divide the analog clock, not midi and not while its running. And the offset is in ms, not 16ths, and that feature is maybe more intended for compensating for audio delay on a mixed setup with latency on some gear, or when syncing to daw and aligning with prerecorded stuff. Maybe there will be a firmware update where you can shift in more musical intervals instead of calculating how many ms a 16th is at 120 bpm. From their FB i only know that they are working on some midi mapping features for the next fw. Personally I was mostly interested in a set-it-up and forgetaboutit solution so the ui doesn't really bother me. 99% of the time i use start and stop/continue, the on/off buttons and the swing knobs

The multi clock is btw jitter free, running on its own or ext clocks, and start/stops on bar 1, beat 1 when you on/off the channels.

Bottom line is that they both sync other boxes with different standards together nice and tight without any midi/usb jitter, either standalone or with a daw. The difference is that the multiclock can be seen more as a swiss knife with its additional midi features for live or studio use, and the acme4 is more of an "instrument" in the creative process being either live or studio, and that imo validates the difference in price.

cn70
Common Wiggler

Post by cn70 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:44 pm

Found this in a german article

http://recording.de/Magazin/Testbericht ... ml#article

New firmware v 1.0.4 is imminent, great that division will be available from the knobs while its running and on midi, analog and din sync.

Changelog Multiclock V 1.04
----------------------------
Changes

- Lock Potis with Shift + Channel key

- Remote via Pitchbend for Shift and CC#1 for Shuffle

- SysEx Pass Thru
on USB
- Clock divider is now available for all output types

- Clock Divider can now be changed while clock is running via Shuffle knob, in this case shuffle is turned off

- Midi Mapper for DIN Midi Input

- Improvement in Offset Menu

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:16 pm

Can somebody clear this up for me, i know midi timing jitters on my computer, but this solves it by your computer running an audio clock signal to the device, then this outputs jitter free midi clock to your external gear ?

What would be a typical setup for studio recording of your hardware ?

and if you don't need four channels like this, does the midiclock+ do the same thing without the extra features ?

justin3am
Let's go do some crimes

Post by justin3am » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:48 pm

The E-RM guys are awesome. They only had an AU version of the Multiclock plug-in for OSX. I asked them if there was any chance of a VST version for OSX in the future and they sent me a VST version the next day! Fantastic support.

I'm really enjoying my Multiclock. Rock solid sync and lots of great features. I love that I can stop one output and when I restart it it will wait until the start of the next bar.
"Thank god for the drugs and drums." El-P
3amNoise | Synth Videos

Return to “General Gear”