Downfalls/cons of Octatrack?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

slicetwo
Common Wiggler

Re: Downfalls/cons of Octatrack?

Post by slicetwo » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:48 am

I just bought an OTMKII after having sold my MKI a year ago to fund an iPad rig. I realized that, with what I am currently interested in doing, the OT would be a fantastic centerpiece. The OT def. has its pitfalls and issues, just like every other piece of gear, but I've realized that it's a fantastic and inspirational tool. Right now, I'm using it to sequence my Digitone so that I can treat each pattern on the DN as a kit. I also have it sending and receiving audio from my iPad for even more FX and manipulation. I'm also live recording the inputs so that I can do transitions throughout my set. It's a fantastic brain for those sorts of things. I used to use it live as a sample trigger machine and FX stuff, which worked fantastically. As with any Elektron device, there is a lot of divisiveness with it. Some people love it and some people hate it. Personally, I like the overall Elektron workflow. The limitations or issues are there, but they can be worked with in various ways. I also love being able to throw in a bunch of unrelated samples, slicing them up, and rearranging/manipulating them into one coherent loop.

For reference, my Elektron experience is the Monomachine, Machinedrum, Analog Four, and Digitone (and toying with my buddy's Rytm). I've also toyed with the SP404, Volcas, and various Electribes/EA/ES/etc.
Radioactive Sandwich | Spotify | Bandcamp | Instagram

Digitone/0Coast/Octatrack MKII/VirusC/Fatman/iPad/FLStudio

Things for sale on Reverb

estin
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by estin » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:10 am

I agree the main miss on the OT for people is when they try to use it as a DAW replacement. The second miss is expecting to understand and utilize every little thing its capable of. It helps to know going in what you actually want to use it for, and then just focus on that. Its ok to not use 90% of it features if your getting what you want out of it.

th0mas
Veteran Wiggler

Post by th0mas » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:25 am

estin wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:10 am
I agree the main miss on the OT for people is when they try to use it as a DAW replacement. The second miss is expecting to understand and utilize every little thing its capable of. It helps to know going in what you actually want to use it for, and then just focus on that. Its ok to not use 90% of it features if your getting what you want out of it.
Yes this!! I am using it for live looping. I have never used a pickup machine and don't know how they work. Doesn't matter.

chiasticon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by chiasticon » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:48 pm

agree with the above. definitely helps to have a plan going in. and not to try and learn the entire machine all at once, just to learn it. learn things as you need them (you'll remember them that way) and don't worry about what else you can do with it; it's likely there if you want it though.

those starting out would be well-advised to read through Merlin's guide on it. it explains the machine better than the manual does.

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:34 am

I have a mk2 which I found very cheap with warranty.
With all the resources available for free, I didn't find the OT hard to use at the level which I do, both in the studio and on stage. I also have A4 and Rytm (best Elektron box for me by lightyears).

My small gripes with it are polyphony/track count and audio quality. It does color the sound so you either like that, or not. But these are small and I find the pros to be significant enough, that instantly are what I focus on.

The effects sound dated, its an old box anyway, but they are still usable.

I just use it as a sampler, same way I use my MPC Live.
It can never be a DAW replacement for me, not even in the slightest.

The internal recording and general sample mangling and conditional trigs and fader scenes, make it worth the time I spent with it.

All Elektron boxes have a philosophy, so ypu either click with it, or you don't.
I don't think the OT is an "instrument". I think its the opposite...its a massive nerd box where nerds find satisfaction for picking up new tricks.

Return to “General Gear”