Make Noise 0 Coast

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

BlackDoors
Common Wiggler

Post by BlackDoors » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:42 am

venus_3036 wrote:sounds perfect to me.. i run it straight into a mono effect anyway. never bothered with the stereo jack lead it came with
I don't think it's a stereo lead, I think it is designed to go into a balanced mono input on a mixer. Or do I have that wrong?

AFAIK there is no stereo I/O on the 0 Coast - although (of course) there are possibilities for stereo oddness using more than one output via a stereo mixer or effects. Panning an oscillator output to one side with the overtone circuit (via dynamics) to the other is an example that springs to mind.

J

JP555
Learning to Wiggle

Post by JP555 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:39 am

hairbow wrote:Quick question about the 0-Coast

I have a Boomstar which has a few CV points. I have heard its all line level, and not the high levels that a modular usually puts out.

Will the Boomstar be able to interact with the 0-Coast without attenuation?
On this point, I'm wondering what other desktop synths people have found to interact well with the 0 coast?

darcmorcel
Common Wiggler

Post by darcmorcel » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:54 pm

The Oberheim SEM patch panel and the 0-coast could make a nice pair.

mousegarden
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mousegarden » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:01 am

robleighton22 wrote:Mine arrives tmrw! Gonna grab a beatstep pro. Hoping the bugs ppl have complained about have been ironed out!!
Me too, be interested in sequencers folks have chosen...

venus_3036
Common Wiggler

Post by venus_3036 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:19 am

I use my Monomachine for melodic sequencing and Dark Time for cv sequencing which works well..
Also melodic stuff from Ableton too when i'm in a more compositional mode.

I have been tempted by the Keystep as a good midi keyboard + sequencing for live performance.. seems like an affordable upgrade to my Qunexus which I don't really like

Jim's computer beats
Cajun Style Styrofoam

Post by Jim's computer beats » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:10 am

I recently got my unit and I love it!

Yesterday I tried to sequence the 0-Coast with the Roland TB-3 (the one with Lazer Green Contour) via MIDI but for some reason the 0-Coast will make a couple of notes, then glitches and then won't make a sound.

I tried a couple of things... I reinitialized the 0-Coast. I held PGM B to clear MIDI data. Changed MIDI cables. Checked the TB-3 manual for how it handles MIDI, but it seems everything should work... Nothing will do.

I had no problem sequencing the 0-Coast with the Octatrack though, So I'm pretty sure that the TB-3 must be sending some MIDI stuff that makes the 0-Coast hang. Anybody tried to sequence the 0-Coast with a TB-3 and had success?

JP555
Learning to Wiggle

Post by JP555 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:29 am

venus_3036 wrote:I use my Monomachine for melodic sequencing and Dark Time for cv sequencing which works well..
Also melodic stuff from Ableton too when i'm in a more compositional mode.

I have been tempted by the Keystep as a good midi keyboard + sequencing for live performance.. seems like an affordable upgrade to my Qunexus which I don't really like
I will have a keystep + 0 coast soon, will let you know how it is!

Bath House
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Bath House » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:59 am

Jim's computer beats wrote:I recently got my unit and I love it!

Yesterday I tried to sequence the 0-Coast with the Roland TB-3 (the one with Lazer Green Contour) via MIDI but for some reason the 0-Coast will make a couple of notes, then glitches and then won't make a sound.

I tried a couple of things... I reinitialized the 0-Coast. I held PGM B to clear MIDI data. Changed MIDI cables. Checked the TB-3 manual for how it handles MIDI, but it seems everything should work... Nothing will do.

I had no problem sequencing the 0-Coast with the Octatrack though, So I'm pretty sure that the TB-3 must be sending some MIDI stuff that makes the 0-Coast hang. Anybody tried to sequence the 0-Coast with a TB-3 and had success?
I'm guessing this has something to do with legato behavior in the sequence. Did you try setting up the O-coast with full sustain or even just holding the LPG open to see if all of the pitches are getting through?
Catholic Roland Modular New Age Acid:
www.goodglassrecords.com

Jim's computer beats
Cajun Style Styrofoam

Post by Jim's computer beats » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:59 am

Bath House wrote:
Jim's computer beats wrote:I recently got my unit and I love it!

I'm guessing this has something to do with legato behavior in the sequence. Did you try setting up the O-coast with full sustain or even just holding the LPG open to see if all of the pitches are getting through?
Thanks for the tip, I'll check that out tonight. I still have a bit of a hard time setting the MIDI behavior on the 0-Coast and I didn't really play with the legato settings, so it might actually be it.

Auxiliaryoctopus
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Auxiliaryoctopus » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:51 pm

Speaking of MIDI, does anyone know how to specify a channel for the 0-Coast? I am running Genome on iPad into an iConnectivity into the 0coast and a Volca. I have one pattern on channel 1, the other on channel 2. The problem is, both synths try to play both patterns and it sounds like a mess.

Does anybody have any advice for specifying which channel the 0coast picks up? I know the manual says that it is set to receive MIDI on all channels.

eclectics
Wiggling with Experience

Post by eclectics » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:29 pm

Waiting for my 0-coast to arrive, but p.12 of the manual suggests you put it into midi learn mode and play something on the channel you want it to receive.

Also you can send a midi cc to specify midi channel for 0-Coast A and B-- it's under the midi implementation chart.

Auxiliaryoctopus
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Auxiliaryoctopus » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:39 pm

Thanks! Problem solved. Also, this video helped:

makenoise
Ultra Wiggler

Post by makenoise » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:37 pm

new 0-COAST PatchoftheWeek shows how to created pitched noise

[video][/video]

Bottle
Common Wiggler

Post by Bottle » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:30 pm

Sorry I've been away for a bit....ironing out my work/life balance hehehe. Been super busy working on an embedded programming project for the venerable BASIC Stamp 2 development board to read/write from an external A/D converter and output MIDI to my 0-Coast.

In short - it's alive!!!!

So I can read four channels of analog inputs and write to one channel of analog output. The inputs are pots and light sensors (which translate to velocity and pitch information) and the output is a psuedo-random voltage that I'm using to modulate the slope circuits' time parameter. I started with a Krell type patch but instead of using the internal random voltage to control the pitch, I'm using it to control the Lin FM input whilst the pitch is determined by the MIDI data. MIDI B CV controls the Dynamics inputs by extracting MIDI Velocity data.

Kinda like a crazy MIDI light organ or theremin I guess. Pitch goes up as the light level falls. I'll try to record some clips and get them up somehow :)

Shopping trip planned for Saturday to purchase a Doepfer A100 Micro-case (3U x 32HP), a Wogglebug and some patch cables. Turing Machine kit build planned soon as well.

Happy Wigglin' !
Bottle
====
YT: Bottle Makes Music, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCBMGj ... sM4_Un1SaA
SC: Bottle Makes Music, https://soundcloud.com/user-391317704
TWR: Bottle Makes Music, @the_sofa_hippo

mousegarden
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mousegarden » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:01 am

Im wavering on my OC a bit now, I'm thinking of it purely as a stand alone oscillator to be used with the rest of my rack. As a synth in it's own right it's challenging, you definitely need to ad things. If I do start another case, it's going to go in there, not only as an oscillator but also for it's Midi CV options.
It's amazing value when you think about it like this, like a multi-function module, rather than a stand alone one voice synth.

dumbledog
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dumbledog » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:05 pm

mousegarden wrote:It's amazing value when you think about it like this, like a multi-function module, rather than a stand alone one voice synth.
This is exactly how I treat my Mom32, and semi-modular in general really. It's a synth and a bunch of parts for other synths.

cloud drift
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cloud drift » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:35 am

Has anyone paired the 0-Coast with the MS20M?
I'm thinking that would be an interesting semi-modular set up too!

Crisco_Thunder
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Crisco_Thunder » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:35 pm

I'm here because I got a 0-Coast and have been having an absolute hoot with the thing. I don't know much about modular synths and I'm on a bit of a budget so I'm wondering what I would need in addition to a Braids module to have a decent subtractive synth voice (Braids looks like it has amazing bang for the buck)? Put another way, what does the 0 Coast have (for example midi to cv conversion) that I can use to get going on a simple Braids set up and forego buying any modules that duplicate things the 0 Coast can do for me? Thanks!

mousegarden
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mousegarden » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:16 am

Crisco_Thunder wrote:I'm here because I got a 0-Coast and have been having an absolute hoot with the thing. I don't know much about modular synths and I'm on a bit of a budget so I'm wondering what I would need in addition to a Braids module to have a decent subtractive synth voice (Braids looks like it has amazing bang for the buck)? Put another way, what does the 0 Coast have (for example midi to cv conversion) that I can use to get going on a simple Braids set up and forego buying any modules that duplicate things the 0 Coast can do for me? Thanks!
Braids is good, there are many digital oscillators, but you may as well have this one. I'd also get a good filter, and a small mixer/attenuator module, top it off with a nice effect, Audio Damage revereb/delay.

loydb
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by loydb » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:35 am

Get a Braids and two Distings. That gives you a ton of options (need a filter and a delay, covered. Need S&H and Envelope Generators? Covered.

http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/distingalgorithms.html

Crisco_Thunder
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Crisco_Thunder » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:26 am

mousegarden wrote: Braids is good, there are many digital oscillators, but you may as well have this one. I'd also get a good filter, and a small mixer/attenuator module, top it off with a nice effect, Audio Damage revereb/delay.
For filter I was thinking about Ripples because the demos sound great and the dip in sterling makes it less expensive here in the United States. Can I skip the attenuator and use the 0 Coast's external input?
loydb wrote:Get a Braids and two Distings. That gives you a ton of options (need a filter and a delay, covered. Need S&H and Envelope Generators? Covered.
I was unaware of Distings. Talk about bang for your buck! It seems very very useful but I learn best when I can hear that this thing marked X does Y when I turn this knob marked Z and I worry that I might get lost in the Distings menu. Maybe I'll get just one? They seem like they would be more and more useful the more I understand about modular. Thanks for the suggestions!

loydb
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by loydb » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:59 am

I still need a cheat sheet for everything but the modes I use all the time. With just one, you may find that you *always* need a filter, or always need a delay, or something. At that point, the second becomes your swiss army knife.

whiskypixel
Learning to Wiggle

Trouble sending MIDI from Ableton to 0-Coast

Post by whiskypixel » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:22 pm

Hey everybody! First post so I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place.

I'm really new to synthesis and music production in general, so still unsure on some basic things. Just got the 0-Coast today and absolutely love it! My modular GAS starts here!

Problem being: I've tried to use Ableton Live to send MIDI patterns to the 0-Coast and something's not quite right. The MIDI data seems to be getting through, via my Audiobox USB audio interface, and some sound is coming out of the 0-Coast.

However the notes are all over the place. I'm presuming it's some kind of MIDI Clock issue? Any reason why the Clock data wouldn't be sending from my MIDI pattern in Live?

Thanks in advance for any help!

ghostly606
Common Wiggler

Post by ghostly606 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:02 pm

Sounds like the arp is on. Press the PGM A and PGM B buttons together.

mousegarden
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mousegarden » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:04 am

Crisco_Thunder wrote:
mousegarden wrote: Braids is good, there are many digital oscillators, but you may as well have this one. I'd also get a good filter, and a small mixer/attenuator module, top it off with a nice effect, Audio Damage revereb/delay.
For filter I was thinking about Ripples because the demos sound great and the dip in sterling makes it less expensive here in the United States. Can I skip the attenuator and use the 0 Coast's external input?
loydb wrote:Get a Braids and two Distings. That gives you a ton of options (need a filter and a delay, covered. Need S&H and Envelope Generators? Covered.
I was unaware of Distings. Talk about bang for your buck! It seems very very useful but I learn best when I can hear that this thing marked X does Y when I turn this knob marked Z and I worry that I might get lost in the Distings menu. Maybe I'll get just one? They seem like they would be more and more useful the more I understand about modular. Thanks for the suggestions!
Filters are so personal, you just have to try them out. Something like a Verbos DFP, or a Make Noise MMG would be my choices, but there will be hundreds of other recommendations, it's up to you, try and get to a dealer and have a go.
Attenuators will depend on what other modules you choose, if they have them built in or not. The ability to attenuate the input to an effect, or a filter CV is essential. I think you would need at least a couple.

Return to “General Gear”