Make Noise 0 Coast

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

medium Rob
Wiggling with Experience

Post by medium Rob » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:16 pm

medium Rob wrote:edit: sorry if this is really basic modular/semi-modular 101 stuff... but, is it ok to patch the DYNMC output back into the 0-coast?
if anybody could nod, or shake their head... i figure it's ok, as the manual seems to infer [most] anything goes, and sundog's experiment sounds successful. i'm just trepidatious

orangehexagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by orangehexagon » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:37 pm

medium Rob wrote:
medium Rob wrote:edit: sorry if this is really basic modular/semi-modular 101 stuff... but, is it ok to patch the DYNMC output back into the 0-coast?
if anybody could nod, or shake their head... i figure it's ok, as the manual seems to infer [most] anything goes, and sundog's experiment sounds successful. i'm just trepidatious
yes

moonscience
Learning to Wiggle

Post by moonscience » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:02 pm

moogboy wrote:
the 0-Coast helped me downsize my eurorack to a somewhat sane level!

I had been using a 600 HP case + a Shared System for everything and when the 0-Coast came out I realized it did everything I regularly used the Shared System for and I didn't really lose anything (from my perspective) by using an 0-Coast if I used it with a euro system. now im down to 360 HP and a couple synths and it is heavenly.
I'm just beginning with modular (I have one ENTIRE module, the morphagene), and I've been using my 0-coast heavily for clock and rnd voltage. What I am considering now is whether the 0-coast effectively replaces other modules? I'm curious what modules you found you were able to get rid of, using the 0-coast as a substitute?

crookedtapes
Common Wiggler

Post by crookedtapes » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:22 am

nothing normalized to contour gate in is normal behavior without midi input and any patching ?

makenoise
Ultra Wiggler

Post by makenoise » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:12 am

Black Box Theory uses the 0-Coast and Digitakt together for his music, which you can hear at blackboxtheory.bandcamp.com

[video][/video]

Skotchi
Common Wiggler

Post by Skotchi » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:50 pm

"If you can't make something with these two machines... You aren't trying hard enough."

Love it!
"Now that you’ve found another key,
what are you going to play?"

moonscience
Learning to Wiggle

Post by moonscience » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:19 am

Been using the 0-Coast more as a controller than its own voice lately. Amazed I can get two independent clocks and three VCO's out of this. Really brilliant design that keeps surprising me even a year after purchase. Just wish it had a clock divider.

glissant
Common Wiggler

Post by glissant » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:30 pm

moonscience wrote:Been using the 0-Coast more as a controller than its own voice lately. Amazed I can get two independent clocks and three VCO's out of this. Really brilliant design that keeps surprising me even a year after purchase. Just wish it had a clock divider.
You can use the Slope circuit as one. It’s a little fiddly but it works!

moonscience
Learning to Wiggle

Post by moonscience » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:55 am

glissant wrote:
Realizing the SQ-1 also can act as a clock divider (!!?) Really amazed how much is packed into some of the smaller, cheaper gear.

Scories
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Scories » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:40 am

moonscience wrote:
glissant wrote:
Realizing the SQ-1 also can act as a clock divider (!!?) Really amazed how much is packed into some of the smaller, cheaper gear.
I bought the SQ1 for pulse-division. It can even act as a dual pulse divider. But I won't use it at audio-rate/sub-osc.

piearesquared
Common Wiggler

Post by piearesquared » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:36 pm

Scories wrote:
moonscience wrote:
glissant wrote:
I bought the SQ1 for pulse-division. It can even act as a dual pulse divider. But I won't use it at audio-rate/sub-osc.
How do you do that? I use it to divide the clock coming in from Live but the most annoying thing for me is that I have to switch it off in order to change the clock divisions, is there a way around that?

Scories
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Scories » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:27 pm

piearesquared wrote:
Scories wrote:I bought the SQ1 for pulse-division. It can even act as a dual pulse divider. But I won't use it at audio-rate/sub-osc.
How do you do that? I use it to divide the clock coming in from Live but the most annoying thing for me is that I have to switch it off in order to change the clock divisions, is there a way around that?
Maybe I get it wrong, but you can switch off the active steps so there is a division between your clock in and your gate out. Nothing very complex here. :)

Let's say, you can divide a single pulse by 8 on channel A and by 5 on channel B.

piearesquared
Common Wiggler

Post by piearesquared » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:34 am

Scories wrote:
piearesquared wrote:
Scories wrote:I bought the SQ1 for pulse-division. It can even act as a dual pulse divider. But I won't use it at audio-rate/sub-osc.
Maybe I get it wrong, but you can switch off the active steps so there is a division between your clock in and your gate out. Nothing very complex here. :)

Let's say, you can divide a single pulse by 8 on channel A and by 5 on channel B.
Oh ok, I misunderstood then. I thought you meant you could get channel A to run in 8th notes and channel B in quarter notes for example. Thanks anyway :)

plytheman
Learning to Wiggle

Post by plytheman » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:16 pm

Just another sucker here who bought a 0-Coast and will probably end up buying a skiff in the future. That said I A) still have no idea how to patch things to really get the most out of the 0-Coast's routings and B) really just love the normalized sounds I can get out of it without patching anything. With that being said I probably won't get any Eurorack stuff until I really have this guy understood better.

I was really excited to get it for a few reasons, but one of which was to double up my oscilators with the Microbrute I've had for a year now. Unfortunately it seems the pitch out on the MB is about 3 octaves too high for the 0-Coast and I can't figure out how to rectify that.

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:49 pm

Very smart about waiting until you understand.

Hm, so have you tried with the PITCH knob all the way down? I'd try that first and put the MB octave all the way down as well. The 0-coast is supposed to be calibrated for 1 volt per octave and that's what the MB puts out.

If you're using the MB at the middle octave and plug the pitch out, the 0-coast is going to jump up several octave since that's where the pitch is currently positioned. If you retune the 0-coast after you plug it in, you may get the results you desire.

909one
Common Wiggler

Post by 909one » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:01 pm

Just got a 0-Coast. Loving it.

The only issue I'm having is the Midi B Gate Out doesn't seem to function for me. Midi B CV is working fine. I followed the instructions for setting these up, tried a few times and it just doesn't seem to be sending a gate trigger when I'm sending Midi through Channel 2.

Sending Midi from the SQ-1 to the 0-Coast. I set the 0-Coast to track Midi Channel 1 on A and Channel 2 on B. So when the SQ-1 is parallel mode it will send Midi from channels 1 and 2, corresponding to each row of sequences. I'm trying to get separate cv and gates from each. Its working properly for everything except Midi B gate.

I also tried this with the Keystep, changed the Midi channel to 2, to match Midi B on the 0-Coast, and it fires Cv but not gate.

Again, I double checked to make sure this set correctly in Program mode of the 0-Coast but not working still. I'd like to be able to use Midi B to trigger another Cv and Gate to trigger the Slope and eventually other oscillators. What am I doing wrong?

VortexRanger
reticulating splines

Post by VortexRanger » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:43 pm

New 0-Coast patch of the week explores tempo-synced rhythmic animation using Slope, Contour and TEMPO In divisions.

[video][/video]

:hobbes:

muddy ranks
Common Wiggler

Post by muddy ranks » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:00 pm

VortexRanger wrote:New 0-Coast patch of the week explores tempo-synced rhythmic animation using Slope, Contour and TEMPO In divisions.
I'm super new to this mad science, but this unit seems so versitile. I feel like I should just stop everything I've got going so far and just learn the shit outta this beast.

moonscience
Learning to Wiggle

Post by moonscience » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:51 am

plytheman wrote:Just another sucker here who bought a 0-Coast and will probably end up buying a skiff in the future. That said I A) still have no idea how to patch things to really get the most out of the 0-Coast's routings and B) really just love the normalized sounds I can get out of it without patching anything. With that being said I probably won't get any Eurorack stuff until I really have this guy understood better.
For me, it has taken nearly a year (my interest in any one hobby varies, maybe for others quite faster) to break past the idea of a normalized synthesizer. The 0-Coast is in effect several minimalist modules in one box, and can be rerouted in ways that have nothing to do with a standard synthesizer, like the microbrute for instance. The leap for me, was seeing how freely each section could be repurposed and fed back into itself. I've really enjoyed those epiphanies where I saw past my ideas about a standard synthesizer, and once there, eurorack becomes sort of inevitable.

I really suggest exploring all the possibilities with the 0C & MB as they work well together. I wish the MB was a little more flexible, but even now surprised with options, like how I can use its VCA independently with the Gate in, or use the OC to add random and noise functionality to the MB.
Unfortunately it seems the pitch out on the MB is about 3 octaves too high for the 0-Coast and I can't figure out how to rectify that.
Definitely avoid the MB's midi port. It just doesn't work with the OC. CV and Gate, and then lots of work after that. May have to use the KBD tracking on the MB to get more than an octave in tune.

RabbiSteve
1-Post Wiggler

Post by RabbiSteve » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:20 am

muddy ranks wrote:
VortexRanger wrote:New 0-Coast patch of the week explores tempo-synced rhythmic animation using Slope, Contour and TEMPO In divisions.
I'm super new to this mad science, but this unit seems so versitile. I feel like I should just stop everything I've got going so far and just learn the shit outta this beast.
Manoman, do I know that feeling! :tu:

Muzone
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Muzone » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:00 am

moonscience wrote:
......it has taken nearly a year to break past the idea of a normalized synthesizer. The 0-Coast is in effect several minimalist modules in one box, and can be rerouted in ways that have nothing to do with a standard synthesizer.....

.......and once there, eurorack becomes sort of inevitable.
Certainly agree that the 0-C can be taken very deep, there's a lot of options that I'm still delving into, but also it does give great 'playability' unpatched.

I disagree that it makes ER inevitable tho' - if anything it's quelled my curiosity for ER as I'm now fairly certain 0-C and another semi-modular (perhaps Pittsburgh Blackbox) would just about keep me happy and productive for the foreseeable future.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:30 pm

I'm using the 0-coast as lead synth more and more. All melodies in this track are from the 0-coast:

https://soundcloud.com/verklighetensfol ... ated-squin

piearesquared
Common Wiggler

Post by piearesquared » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:32 pm

lisa wrote:I'm using the 0-coast as lead synth more and more. All melodies in this track are from the 0-coast:

really enjoyed this

pre post eros
Common Wiggler

Post by pre post eros » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:51 pm

piearesquared wrote:
lisa wrote:I'm using the 0-coast as lead synth more and more. All melodies in this track are from the 0-coast:

really enjoyed this
+1. Very nice.

glissant
Common Wiggler

Post by glissant » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:43 am

Liked and subscribed!

Return to “General Gear”