Make Noise 0 Coast

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:57 am

piearesquared, pre post eros and glissant: Thanks a bunch! :cloud:
You go too high too early, man. The beat sounds like the a slow mudslide and the melodies that go on and on. :zen:

RickKleffel
Wiggling with Experience

Post by RickKleffel » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:35 am

lisa wrote:I'm using the 0-coast as lead synth more and more. All melodies in this track are from the 0-coast:

https://soundcloud.com/verklighetensfol ... ated-squin
Fantastic work, you're giving Plaid a run for their money!

wavefold
sonic lad

Post by wavefold » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:12 am

got one yesterday. I'm really impressed, it's an instrument of its own, zero overlapping with my modular system :hail:
Wavefold Racing Team

SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/wavefold

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:26 pm

https://soundcloud.com/verklighetensfol ... ated-squin
RickKleffel wrote: Fantastic work, you're giving Plaid a run for their money!
Thanks! :snowman:

medium Rob
Wiggling with Experience

Post by medium Rob » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:07 pm

please pardon the hand-holding pleas.. i'm wondering about the SYNC (in/out) ports on the back of my Monologue, and how i could interface the 0-coast with it. based on what i've read, i have the impression that the output signal (sync) of a Korg Monologue isn't very strong, compared to cv/gate signals.. i'll probably just test it out, but i'm wondering if anybody could shed some light on the functionality of the Korg's Sync ports, if/how it could affect the 0-coast's behavior, and vice versa.

kaffeetrinken
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kaffeetrinken » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:19 pm

try patching into 'tempo' and then 'clk' into 'gate'. tempo seems to be more sensitive. this often does the trick …
medium Rob wrote:please pardon the hand-holding pleas.. i'm wondering about the SYNC (in/out) ports on the back of my Monologue, and how i could interface the 0-coast with it. based on what i've read, i have the impression that the output signal (sync) of a Korg Monologue isn't very strong, compared to cv/gate signals.. i'll probably just test it out, but i'm wondering if anybody could shed some light on the functionality of the Korg's Sync ports, if/how it could affect the 0-coast's behavior, and vice versa.

bougie
Common Wiggler

Post by bougie » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:00 pm

is there any way to change the midi clock division? seems stuck at 1/4 regardless of what i set the tempo in division to.

Happiness Forever
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Happiness Forever » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:36 am

Picked one up last week, Love It. Plays great with the modular and is a lot of fun to play with. Thumbs Up!

!MONDO ANTHEM!
Live Large, Live Often.

plytheman
Learning to Wiggle

Post by plytheman » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:34 am

hawkfuzz wrote:Very smart about waiting until you understand.

Hm, so have you tried with the PITCH knob all the way down? I'd try that first and put the MB octave all the way down as well. The 0-coast is supposed to be calibrated for 1 volt per octave and that's what the MB puts out.
Hadn't realized to keep PITCH all the way down before, big steps in teh right direction! Despite messing with the various tuning knobs on both machines the closest I can get is an octave apart. According to Arturia's manual the MB with octave selector on green/0, leftmost key should be C2. The closest Fine Tune knob gets me is A#2, so somethings still a bit off there, unless my tuner is calibrated funky. But hey, this is a 0-coast thread so I'll quit whining about the MB.
moonscience wrote: I really suggest exploring all the possibilities with the 0C & MB as they work well together. I wish the MB was a little more flexible, but even now surprised with options, like how I can use its VCA independently with the Gate in, or use the OC to add random and noise functionality to the MB.
I've been playing with the two and mostly making a lot of droney techno jams so far, and being able to patch from one to the other has made some pretty sweet modulating and evolving sounds. What's funny too is after playing with the 0-coast and patching stuff around, I'm figuring out new ways to work with the MB on it's own that had never occured to me before.

Lisa, that track is great! Super inspiring on more sounds to get out of the 0-coast and also inspiring for me to learn how to actually arrange a song!

kaffeetrinken
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kaffeetrinken » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:58 am

you can further lower the pitch of the o-coast via the attenuverter/offset on the o-coast. patch a cable from the attenuverter out into 1v/oct and turn the +/- knob ccw into the minus area. fromm there you have to tune by ear which works best by putting both devices into a clean triangle wave (o-coast balance all the way ccw for the fundamental) and tune with the +/- knob until you hear the least movement int the 2 overlaying outputted waveforms.
plytheman wrote:Hadn't realized to keep PITCH all the way down before, big steps in teh right direction! Despite messing with the various tuning knobs on both machines the closest I can get is an octave apart. According to Arturia's manual the MB with octave selector on green/0, leftmost key should be C2. The closest Fine Tune knob gets me is A#2, so somethings still a bit off there, unless my tuner is calibrated funky. But hey, this is a 0-coast thread so I'll quit whining about the MB.

kaffeetrinken
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kaffeetrinken » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:26 am

and of course patch you other 1v/oct source into the left jack of the attenuverter to sum it with the offset (not sure how precise it is, though).

Unifono0815
Common Wiggler

Post by Unifono0815 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:35 am

Hi people,
finally I joined the 0-coast club yesterday :bananaguitar:
Lot's of fun waiting for me.

[video][/video]

ipnoteca
cane morto

Post by ipnoteca » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:48 pm

quick question,

i lost my midi cable, but have the midi cable from a beatstep pro...
before making any damage, would be totally safe to use the beatstep pro midi cable for the 0coast?

thank you!
i've blown a fuse...

previously robocoder

YOUTUBE http://www.youtube.com/user/ipnoteca
INSTAGRAM http://www.instagram.com/ipnoteca/

Muzone
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Muzone » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:36 am

There are 2 "standards" for 3.5mm -> 5pin MIDI: Korg Vs Arturia/Novation/Malekko, 0-C uses the Korg version so your BSP cable won't work :(

misterphoneman
Common Wiggler

Post by misterphoneman » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:35 am

bougie wrote:is there any way to change the midi clock division? seems stuck at 1/4 regardless of what i set the tempo in division to.
You mean on the clock out right? I had the same issue and wound up buying a 2hp DIV which does clock multiplication & division.

ipnoteca
cane morto

Post by ipnoteca » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:15 am

Muzone

Muzone wrote:There are 2 "standards" for 3.5mm -> 5pin MIDI: Korg Vs Arturia/Novation/Malekko, 0-C uses the Korg version so your BSP cable won't work :(
thank you for the info!
i've blown a fuse...

previously robocoder

YOUTUBE http://www.youtube.com/user/ipnoteca
INSTAGRAM http://www.instagram.com/ipnoteca/

Mirland
Common Wiggler

Post by Mirland » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:37 am

Help!

Got my 0-coast yesterday. Plugged it in this morning with midi from Ableton like I do with all my synths. The 0-coast plays the midi sequence but it seems like it doesn't close the gate between the notes. Between each note there's a very high pitched note playing. When I stop the sequence from Ableton the tone keeps on playing. I can't really find anything in the manual helping me out.

piearesquared
Common Wiggler

Post by piearesquared » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:39 pm

Here's an ambient soundscape I made using the 0-Coast & Lyra-8, these two work wonderfully together imo
[video][/video]

Mirland
Common Wiggler

Post by Mirland » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:20 am

I'm really getting anxious something is wrong with either me or my 0-coast. The high pitched tone is just going on and on between the notes. Like a vca missing...

optiprime8
Learning to Wiggle

Post by optiprime8 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:35 am

Mirland wrote:I'm really getting anxious something is wrong with either me or my 0-coast. The high pitched tone is just going on and on between the notes. Like a vca missing...
Check the basic patch in the manual, you can set-up the 0-coast to self trigger or trigger from midi. See if you have the same problem with and without mid. Also, by default I think the 0-coast responds to all midi channels, so make sure there’s nothing else coming from ableton.

Mirland
Common Wiggler

Post by Mirland » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:25 am

Thanks :) I tried resetting to the default midi settings and am now sequencing with the SQ-1 with great results. Seems some kind of midi setting was wrong.

optiprime8
Learning to Wiggle

Post by optiprime8 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:20 pm

Mirland wrote:Thanks :) I tried resetting to the default midi settings and am now sequencing with the SQ-1 with great results. Seems some kind of midi setting was wrong.
Good, the sq1 is great with the 0-coast, enjoy!

RickKleffel
Wiggling with Experience

Post by RickKleffel » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:00 pm

optiprime8 wrote:
Mirland wrote:Thanks :) I tried resetting to the default midi settings and am now sequencing with the SQ-1 with great results. Seems some kind of midi setting was wrong.
Good, the sq1 is great with the 0-coast, enjoy!
I just picked up this pair, and i agree. I love the SQ1, so cheap, powerful and straightforward...while the 0-Coast is anything but, yet powerful and fun and a great complement to a more traditional analogue synth, in my case the Fusebox, which is traditional only in basic config... Thanks to the many posts here about the 0-Coast, great, great call!

Mirland
Common Wiggler

Post by Mirland » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:24 am

Unfortunately I was very wrong. This week I have been in constant contact with the very kind tech staff at Make Noise since my 0-coast does not function correctly when controlled by external midi. As I wrote before there is a constant high pitched tone being played from the moment the 0-coast registers midi on it's input. It plays the sequence correctly but whenever the gate should be closed the high pitched sound plays. There has not been found a solution yet :/ I guess the unit is going back :(

mmp
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mmp » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:51 am

Is it any sequence, or the same sequence? It is possible to have an endless note in a MIDI sequence if you stopped recording before the note off.

Sorry if this is too obvious.

Return to “General Gear”