Make Noise 0 Coast

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

tvparcable
Common Wiggler

Re: Make Noise 0 Coast

Post by tvparcable » Sat May 02, 2020 11:38 am

luketeaford wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 6:43 am
I haven't checked mine with a tuner, but looking at the screenshots I would say yours is further out than mine. Around 25 cents sharp would probably be just where I perceive it as not sounding like C. I don't have excellent pitch perception though.

I'll try to find time to let mine warm up and test it in ableton today.
Thanks, let me know how it goes! After about 1h/1h30 of warm-up, I only get about 28 ct of difference between octave 0 and 4, which I can live with, but I'm still curious to know if it's expected behavior for the 0-Coast.

d_imil
Common Wiggler

Post by d_imil » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:17 am

Have many people picked up the 0-Coast after modular rather than the other way around? I have a small modular setup and recently added the 0-Ctrl which has been so much fun in conjunction with a SQ1 and Voltage Block I feel like I finally can make some decent length stuff and variation.

While trying to learn more on the 0-Ctrl obviously it is commonly paired up with the 0-Coast in videos. It seems like the 0-Coast has a lot of functionality available without taking up any rack space. It would open up MIDI to CV also which would be cool. So I guess my question is, if I already have a modular setup is the 0-Coast going to just end up being very redundant or do you feel it still has a role on its' own? I figured if nothing else the 0-Coast/0-Ctrl combo seems very portable by themselves.

wickfut
Common Wiggler

Post by wickfut » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:42 pm

no. I was bored with mine after a week. I basically use it as an LFO now.

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:25 pm

d_imil wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:17 am
Have many people picked up the 0-Coast after modular rather than the other way around? I have a small modular setup and recently added the 0-Ctrl which has been so much fun in conjunction with a SQ1 and Voltage Block I feel like I finally can make some decent length stuff and variation.

While trying to learn more on the 0-Ctrl obviously it is commonly paired up with the 0-Coast in videos. It seems like the 0-Coast has a lot of functionality available without taking up any rack space. It would open up MIDI to CV also which would be cool. So I guess my question is, if I already have a modular setup is the 0-Coast going to just end up being very redundant or do you feel it still has a role on its' own? I figured if nothing else the 0-Coast/0-Ctrl combo seems very portable by themselves.
I bought an 0-Coast after I'd been playing my Shared System for a year or two and I love it as its own thing, paired with the 0-Ctrl, or augmenting a larger modular system. I think you won't be disappointed. :tu:

pixelmechanic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pixelmechanic » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:27 pm

d_imil wrote:
Have many people picked up the 0-Coast after modular rather than the other way around?
I got a great condition one off eBay for an OK price about 2 weeks ago as a way to get some hands on synth action at home after 80+ days of my 9u of Euro & 2 rows of Serge (plus other stuff) being locked in my office at work!

I've wanted one for a while as the small, super portable but accessible form factor plus self contained and surprisingly flexible functionality ticks a load of boxes for the kinds of (noisy) improvised, layered things I do, even considering all the other stuff I've got.

I've really enjoyed my time with it so far, and while there's been a few times where I've thought "I wish it had...", for the most part I've thought "What a great standalone package".

Lockdown pushed me over the edge in terms of buying it, we'll see how I feel about it once I've got access to all my other stuff ; )

slaverevoltinaesthetics
Learning to Wiggle

Post by slaverevoltinaesthetics » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:44 pm

luketeaford wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:25 pm
d_imil wrote:

I bought an 0-Coast after I'd been playing my Shared System for a year or two and I love it as its own thing, paired with the 0-Ctrl, or augmenting a larger modular system. I think you won't be disappointed. :tu:
:agree:

0-Coast was my first semi-modular. It’s the only synth I regret offloading in a frenzy of gear selling.
The fond memories of the fun had patching it ultimately pushed me in the direction of a make noise-based modular system after a couple of years denial and resistance.
I ended up re-buying it after obtaining the 0-Ctrl. I was concerned that it was a Pokemon move, but the 0-Coast is still fun, great with the 0-Ctrl and doesn’t feel redundant at all with the larger system.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:04 pm

d_imil wrote:

I got an 0-Coast when I had a row or so of modules. I enjoyed it and learned a bit from it -- but wound up buying a Function, Contour and Dynamix and then selling the 0-Coast. I probably would have kept it, but I didn't really care for the sound of its wavefolder, compared to others I'd heard.

pickleinn
Ultra Wiggler

Post by pickleinn » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:40 pm

I have had Serge, buchla and eurorack stuff over the years but will likely keep the 0-coast and 0-control combo as a fun little music box. Definitely not redundant and very cool on its own or paired with other gear.

swannodette
Learning to Wiggle

Post by swannodette » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:58 pm

d_imil wrote:
Have many people picked up the 0-Coast after modular rather than the other way around?
I have a MN 7U of euro, a MN skiff, a Grandmother, and a Korg 2600 FS. Most of the big stuff is kept at my studio and I was wanting something portable both for home and travel. My collaborator had one and after using it on some tracks I decided to pick up a 0-Coast three weeks ago. I use it with an 0-CTRL, SQ-1, and a Waza Analog Delay.

I have to say - I’m blown away. I think because it provides such a well considered set of limited functionality it encourages focused creative patching. It’s really more like a tiny Serge than Easel IMO.

At the moment, for me only the 2600 FS holds a higher spot for being instantly inspiring.

tioJim
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tioJim » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:51 pm

Hello

What's the gate voltage on the 0-Coast? I'd like to sometimes be able to use it just as a MIDI to CV convertor with some old Roland gear which needs more than a standard Eurorack 5V gate.

mrhooks
Common Wiggler

Post by mrhooks » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:26 am

The manual does not appear to specify, but based on diagrams of its Slope, Contour, etc., unipolar signals are 0-8V.
WTB: original MI Rings panel
Also looking for someone willing to make a couple small changes to Rings firmware

tioJim
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tioJim » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:08 am

mrhooks wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:26 am
The manual does not appear to specify, but based on diagrams of its Slope, Contour, etc., unipolar signals are 0-8V.
Ah yes that's a good shout, thanks. No I couldn't see anything in the manual either.

KimDeeKay
Common Wiggler

Post by KimDeeKay » Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:16 pm

d_imil wrote:

I bought the 0-Coast 4 years after my beginning with modular and around 450hp later.
I wanted something to noodle around on the couch with a skiff of modules like René, modulation, Filter and FX. The 0-Coast is very inspiring and great sounding. It has so much functionality you had to buy for much more money if you would buy the functions as modules. And the sound is really great.
it’s Never too late for an 0-Coast. Now I consider to rackmount it in a third case and add other MN modules to it like Mimeophon and QPas along with already existing modules like Function, René, Morphagene, Echophon. Could be a cool rack.
Cheers, Denise

tvparcable
Common Wiggler

Post by tvparcable » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:37 am

Do we know exactly what the 0-coast's wavefolding does, and what kind of waveshaper techniques the Overtone and Multiply knobs can be likened to?
I picked up an Intellijel Bifold, which yields very interesting wavefolding timbres, as well as an integrated mixer allowing you to balance your dry and wavefolded signals, and it quickly reminded me of the 0-coast. The character is quite different of course and the sound is nowhere near the signature warmth of some 0-coast basses, but still, some harmonic qualities and the mixed dry signal reminded me of it. It got me wondering if anyone ever figured out the exact science behing the 0-coast's wavefolders?

wireangel
Common Wiggler

Post by wireangel » Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:28 am

A little ambient space with the 0-Coast. Paired up with the brilliant 0-CTRL.

Hope you enjoy it!

tioJim
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tioJim » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:36 am

wireangel wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:28 am

Hope you enjoy it!

[/bbvideo]
I did. V nice

tvparcable
Common Wiggler

Post by tvparcable » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:20 am

wireangel wrote:

Hope you enjoy it!

Nice!

Lauflicht
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Lauflicht » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:06 pm

wireangel wrote:

Hope you enjoy it!

Yes! Very atmospheric. A 0-ctrl is now on my shopping list.
Love is the message.

wireangel
Common Wiggler

Post by wireangel » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:11 am

Cheers guys, glad you enjoyed it. Have to say the 0-CTRL is a perfect partner for this synth. Really makes it come alive in a new way.

tioJim
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tioJim » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:52 am

wireangel wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:11 am
Cheers guys, glad you enjoyed it. Have to say the 0-CTRL is a perfect partner for this synth. Really makes it come alive in a new way.
Gah! Every time a play with the 0-Coast I think "would like sequencer" but have been resisting ...

tvparcable
Common Wiggler

Post by tvparcable » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:35 am

tioJim wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:52 am
wireangel wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:11 am
Gah! Every time a play with the 0-Coast I think "would like sequencer" but have been resisting ...
They work well together indeed. That being said, the 0-ctrl has a great capacity to "unlock" other modules, in the sense that it lends itself to very immediate experimentation. I'm having great fun with Mangrove or Plaits, which both have an internal VCA and interesting parameters to modulate with pressure. If your plan is to use it only with the 0-coast, you may find that the knobs are a bit sensitive when you don't use a quantizer. It gets better with a bit of practice, but getting the right pitch you have in mind can take a few tries.

naos
Common Wiggler

Post by naos » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:41 am

starthief wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:04 pm
I probably would have kept it, but I didn't really care for the sound of its wavefolder, compared to others I'd heard.
It seems very capable for finding certain sounds at certain settings, but overall I really can't stand it's signature sound, this nasal "wèèèèèhhhhh" is everywhere except for a few sweet spots. I wonder if it's just typical for this kind of synths or not, though...

The Junglechrist
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by The Junglechrist » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:12 am

Hey there everyone ! Here is a new Patch From Scratch video using not one, but TWO 0-Coast, both being controled by the spiritual father of the 0-CNTRL, the infamous Serge TKB !
Hope you have fun watching :

mwvm
Ultra Wiggler

Post by mwvm » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:56 am

I quit modular about a year ago as I got too involved in being a DIY builder and the fun stopped. But I don't miss my shared system, unfortunately I can't afford another but buying the 0coast has filled some of that void.
I build DIY O_c, TU, uBraids etc... Get in touch!

https://www.instagram.com/mwvm_music/ Clips of blips

The Junglechrist
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by The Junglechrist » Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:41 pm

Another more classic 0-Coast + TKB patch from scratch over here :

Return to “General Gear”