Teenage Engineering OP-Z

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Sounds From The Shed
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Sounds From The Shed » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:05 pm

UndercoverBrother wrote:@Sounds_From_The_Shed : maybe you could keep your jams for the "Your tunes here" section of the forum, so we could keep the thread rather informative ?

I'm curious to hear more from users about the latest update, seems like some bugs could really mess your projects after loading in the latest firmware; I'm holding for now despite the tasty promise of importing synth sample in a less tedious way.
No worries. Talking about bugs is way more fun anyway. :mrgreen:

gentle_attack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gentle_attack » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:07 pm

UndercoverBrother wrote:@Sounds_From_The_Shed : maybe you could keep your jams for the "Your tunes here" section of the forum, so we could keep the thread rather informative ?
Honestly, and I mean absolutely no offense, but I disagree, and historically threads like this are full of people doing demos/ songs with the great in question.

I don't think SFTS is going nuts at all, for me, people posting clips like that is very informative as to what can/can't be done with a new device, versus browsing on youtube manually wading through the junk from people who don't know what they are doing or how to record.

Again, I do not mean to be contrary, but from what I've seen this is perfectly acceptable content for a thread like this. Cheers!
Control Skiff ||Big Case || cv.ocd || TT303v2 || Manther || OP-1 OP-Lab|| Octatrack Digitone RYTM || BX-8 BX-16 || Monologue KP3+

UndercoverBrother
Common Wiggler

Post by UndercoverBrother » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:32 pm

Not trying to be offensive either, just a suggestion as I've seen topics derail and lose focus in the past in this forum or others. Cheers

(But the Lyra 8 topic so far is a great exemple of various users keeping the thread alive over time)

PLNB
Common Wiggler

Post by PLNB » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:34 am

After watching some of Jeremy Reds (RMR) recent tutorials, I realized I was ignoring this filthy distortion on the Z. The only downside to using it appears on transitions between patterns where there may be an audible click/pop on certain frequencies. Nonetheless, I'll be using the random fx combos more often.

Does anyone have tips on loading waves to the synth tracks (key, pitch, etc) to make most use of the octave range?

Sounds From The Shed
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Sounds From The Shed » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:44 am

UndercoverBrother wrote:Not trying to be offensive either, just a suggestion as I've seen topics derail and lose focus in the past in this forum or others. Cheers

(But the Lyra 8 topic so far is a great exemple of various users keeping the thread alive over time)
The thing is though, often the threads then become mired down in negative users experiences, or maybe discussions about various glitches that maybe effect very few people.

I was in hospital for 7 weeks and used the OP-Z daily, and I mean for a long period as there was nowt else to do. It didn't crash, only time I lost data was via an accidental deletion, so an undo feature would be nice.

the app did crash about half a dozen times but that wasnt much considering the amount I used it.

I just wanted to share the positive side, show how fun and easy the instrument is to use and do what it's meant for doing, play with it, use the features it has to the best of my ability and not bemoan what it doesn't have.

Then share the positives and I try to do this by capturing good audio quality of the OP_Z without any further processing along with a video to show what it's capable of.

I find videos like that helpful and so was giving back with my experience.

A thread full of faults and bugs would be dull and not worth looking at in my humble opinion.

Be like reading Tripadvisor after you booked a holiday, you end up thinking you've picked somewhere crap to go as all you read is the negative.

Sounds From The Shed
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Sounds From The Shed » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:17 pm

[video][/video]

Made use of some sample kits I prepped for this one

Fed them to the OP_Z and this is the result.

dan_p
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dan_p » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:47 am

I don’t think it was your intention but please don’t assume to speak for everyone. I’m happy to see Demos, jams etc in a thread about a synth.
Oh you got a Nickel, I got a Dime,
I'd like to get to know you but I haven't got the time,
You got to walk like a mannequin, roll like a tyre,
Act on reaction dodge the big spud fryer
------------------------------------------
www.Soundcloud.com/dan_p
www.YouTube.Com/d4nnyp

fowl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by fowl » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:45 pm

would it sequence our modulars using the Kenton USB Solo - USB MIDI to CV CONVERTER?

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:10 am

I want to keep my life decluttered but the lure of TE stuff is strong. I’m back to work after a few months off which means six hours of commuting per week. I’m thinking that a OP-Z would be a delight on my travels.

On the other hand I’ve had a OP-1 and several POs without much result. The OP-1 was okay but in the end I was bothered by the arbitrary limitations and the tediousness of some operations. Futhermore I never gelled with the POs at all. Too many secret handshake button combinations that I never learned.

So. I shouldn’t get a OP-Z, right?
Yeah! Keep the gear threads free from music. :rage: ;)
909, manic trilling courtesy of Make Noise René and DPO, wavetable bass by Disting and some soft melodies by the Korg Minilogue. I mainly sat and watched it all unfold. :eek:

Sounds From The Shed
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Sounds From The Shed » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:09 am

lisa wrote:
Wrong, OP-Z is so much easier to use than the OP-1, it's worth it alone for what you can do with the sequencer. I've put quite a few hours into it now and love. Had to pull myself away from it to use other gear.

It's easy to import samples now, it's immediate, compact and fun!

:tu:

forestcaver
Ultra Wiggler

Post by forestcaver » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:48 am

lisa wrote:
It’s definitely idiosyncratic with limitations! It’s so hard to predict what we will get on with. I really love mine for some reason - really hard to work out why but I find it easy to use and just great fun. I really like the idea of the screen being optional (and it’s not necessary once you get used to the thing - but the screen helps when learning). It’s really powerful and immediate. It’s the most fun bit of new kit I’ve had in ages.... the only thing I find hard is chords - the buttons are so tiny it’s hard to press multiple buttons at once....

Kja
Common Wiggler

Post by Kja » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:38 pm

I think you need the screen to access the app to beable to use the graphic engine sequencer, I'm not sure but I think that's the only thing that's not truly stand-alone. Maybe in the future it will become open source so we don't need the app to sequence graphics or the photomatic. I don't like relying on a app but I don't think teenage engineering will stop supporting it if their other products are anything to go by. Also third party batteries need to become available Incase they decide to stop making them in twenty years or so.

TheDegenerateElite
Veteran Wiggler

Post by TheDegenerateElite » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:47 am

I didn't like the OP-1 at all but the Z is one of my favorite pieces of gear.

Very easy to learn how to use and you remember it all even after leaving it alone for a week or two. You never miss having a screen after an hour of using it and it just adds needless complication to the device, in addition to draining the battery much faster because of the Bluetooth power.

You can power it via USB using any USB battery pack if you need longer run times.

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:57 am

I’m having no joy, seriously, nobody has come across this issue, or has an insight into what the error is ?

[video][/video]
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

Boofin Moonrocks
Common Wiggler

Post by Boofin Moonrocks » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:01 am

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:14 am

Boofin Moonrocks wrote:Sampling firmware is out!
https://teenage.engineering/downloads/op-z
And they fixed the hiccup when switching projects! :sb:

homepoeteuro
Learning to Wiggle

Name of preset don't show up in app

Post by homepoeteuro » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:55 pm

When i'm loading a track preset on the OP-Z app i only see KICK or BASS etc, but not the name of the preset. On all the tutorials online the name of the presets show up in de upper left corner, like SAW or VOLT

When i look at the files via usb they are called ~AlainKicks etc.
What am i doing wrong?

Everything is there except the preset-name.
Or is there a difference between the app on iphone and the app on ipad ?

Greetings
Nico

Yunsnare
Common Wiggler

Post by Yunsnare » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:37 am

Hello guys, here's my very first try with the OP-Z. Stock sounds for this one but I think I'll sample some modular gear with it :)

[video][/video]

ndf
Common Wiggler

Post by ndf » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:30 pm

This thing is infuriating! It's so cute and fun to play, but the way the files map to presets and engines and samples is not documented anywhere. The config files make no sense- and yet it's brilliant :/ I guess if you have a hand-to-phone with a supercomputer from a particular manufacturer and all the requisite malware you can see how they meant it to work. Otherwise - well, it's still fun. Kinda reminds me of a supercharged MMT8 blended brundlefly with an op1.

If anyone knows how the .engine files map to actual sounds I'd really love to know. Teenage Engineering have not answered any questions except to say "use the app".
I am the problem.

vantablack
Common Wiggler

Post by vantablack » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:10 am

ndf wrote:This thing is infuriating! It's so cute and fun to play, but the way the files map to presets and engines and samples is not documented anywhere. The config files make no sense- and yet it's brilliant :/ I guess if you have a hand-to-phone with a supercomputer from a particular manufacturer and all the requisite malware you can see how they meant it to work. Otherwise - well, it's still fun. Kinda reminds me of a supercharged MMT8 blended brundlefly with an op1.

If anyone knows how the .engine files map to actual sounds I'd really love to know. Teenage Engineering have not answered any questions except to say "use the app".
When loading a stock sound engine we can choose from several patches in the same “folder” but afaik we are allowed to store one single custom patch, 10 patches total if we delete the stock ones :hmm:

The engines resides on a deeper level which isn’t accessible, much like the op-1 it’s locked down and all I’ve seen is graphic customisations made by users at op-forums (which is gone since a few days back) and partial access to iter engine.

Sounds From The Shed
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Sounds From The Shed » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:47 am

This was my first go combing Samples loaded into the OP-Z along with the internal Synths.

The samples are from a Pet Shop Boys sample collection I have that where prepared for a tour which was then cancelled. So they are the genuine article and I suppose an exclusive! :hihi:

[video][/video]

steviet
Wiggling with Experience

Post by steviet » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:54 am

Love my OP-Z, finally got my oplab module and was very disappointed. The module does not fit into the module area properly, and the connections won't stay solid enough to actually try the module out. It won't "lock", the bottom just won't squeeze in flush enough to get a solid connection.

No one's fault, still like TE and their products.. but it's like... there's one size of OP-Z no? How could it not fit :omg:

:bang: wait a year for the module to be in stock, it doesn't work OOB, have to send it back for RMA. :bang:

PLNB
Common Wiggler

Post by PLNB » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:20 pm

Try wedging in a business card or shaving down the oplab to squeeze it in there if you want to keep it. Mine works fine after a little modding. No excuse for a less than perfect fit. The issue is both size of the module housing and lack of rigidity of the OP-Z backplate which flexes too much and bulges when Oplab lab is installed.

steviet
Wiggling with Experience

Post by steviet » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:11 pm

Hmm.. I thought about sanding it but I'm worried about the warranty if it still doesn't want to co-operate... Thanks for the tips!

Edit: Did some modding, its working! And its pretty great :hail: :hail: thanks again!!!!

vantablack
Common Wiggler

Post by vantablack » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:18 am

Does oplab get gates stuck? Sending gates to Fh-2 results in gate high being default state. gates/trigs also gets lost or not transmitted but I’m not sure on which side the fault or settings is needed :hmm:

Return to “General Gear”