Lyra-8 'Organismic' ambient synthesizer

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

j bowman
Common Wiggler

Post by j bowman » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:51 pm

Another video showing some of the ways I like to play the Lyra. The raw tone of those voices through the delay and drive is really outstanding.

[video][/video]

GrantB
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GrantB » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:26 pm

j bowman wrote:Another video showing some of the ways I like to play the Lyra. The raw tone of those voices through the delay and drive is really outstanding.
Very interesting thanks for posting. I always like the modulated noise in your videos. I think I need to use the delay more. Sometimes I jack in some noise from a Mackie 1202 mic pre direct out, which sounds nice but the Lyra noise moves around more.

I'm finding out that some of these instruments have slight differences. I had another Lyra player (Lyracist?) over for a jam last weekend, and he commented that mine had much longer envelopes in the slow position and more sensitive/gated hold knobs. His is an earlier waiting list period model made in Russia and is also missing the center off position for the LFO logic.

I just set up mine with the patch you're showing here and I have to put my holds on 12:00 or they just drone once they're triggered.

Also side note my friend had his Lyra damaged by rough baggage handling while on tour in Europe, and one of the guys from Soma EU came to his show and fixed it on the spot. Pretty cool!

j bowman
Common Wiggler

Post by j bowman » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:00 am

GrantB wrote:His is an earlier waiting list period model made in Russia and is also missing the center off position for the LFO logic.
What centre off position? I don't think mine has this! I either have AND or OR, and either SYNC or not. Is there another position on yours?
GrantB wrote:I just set up mine with the patch you're showing here and I have to put my holds on 12:00 or they just drone once they're triggered.
That is really interesting! Mine would start to drone just after 1 o'clock, although depending where the Drive is set you can hear them softly beforehand as in this video
GrantB wrote:Also side note my friend had his Lyra damaged by rough baggage handling while on tour in Europe, and one of the guys from Soma EU came to his show and fixed it on the spot. Pretty cool!
That is cool, they do seems like a good company from that perspective.

GrantB
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GrantB » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:27 am

j bowman wrote: What centre off position? I don't think mine has this! I either have AND or OR, and either SYNC or not. Is there another position on yours?
The AND OR switch has a center position which at first appears to switch the LFO off. If you watch the Loopop youtube review, he just says it's off. This is not entirely true though. For one, the LFO will still work to modulate the delay, and...

If the switch is set to center position with all oscillator group MOD sources set to center/off, the LFO LED will be off. However, if any MOD source is switched to LFO FB CV, the LED will partially light. If a corresponding oscillator is sounded while the steady LFO is switched in and the MOD knob is fully CCW, there is a slight change in pitch and timbre. If the MOD knob is increased, introduction of a timbre change may be evident (depending on TUNE and SHARP) increasing in the first half of the travel, with pitch change gradually introduced beyond 12:00. The LFO LED will become brighter as the MOD is introduced.

What's most interesting is when both oscillators in the duo are sounded with this steady LFO added. Depending on the position of the MOD and TUNE controls, the two oscillators will modulate each other for a wide variety of sounds from FM to steady or even somewhat chaotic rhythms. Additional pairs switched to the steady LFO mod do not seem to intermodulate between pairs, just within their pair (EDIT: ...setting aside the fact that the four oscillators in a quad are almost always slightly modulating each other, which may be more easily heard in this scenario.)

hairychris
Common Wiggler

Post by hairychris » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:05 pm

Picked one of these up last week and I have no idea how it works. It's great! Not tried it as an external processor yet but small steps. :mrgreen:
Idiot guitarist and idiot bassist turned idiot wiggler.

heckadecimal69
Common Wiggler

Post by heckadecimal69 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:11 pm

I just got one a couple days ago. Not a lot of time with it yet but it's a wild one.
The input is great, I kind of with there was input level control for mixing with the internal sound but oh well.

I can tell it's going to be one of those that you grow with the more you use it. It's really the most intuition-based synth I've ever used.

j bowman
Common Wiggler

Post by j bowman » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:35 am

Just got the Analog Heat. First impressions are very positive, but it has also made me appreciate more the Drive effect on the Lyra. Particularly in combination with feedback on the delay circuits you can get some very "organic" distortion effects which are pretty unusual. I did a video running my Mood SS37 through the Lyra to demonstrate this:

[video][/video]

PS - to the new Lyra owners - welcome to the club!

IanEye
Common Wiggler

Post by IanEye » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:48 am

j bowman wrote:Just got the Analog Heat.
Hello, any chance you might make a video of the Lyra going into the Analog Heat?

Thanks!

BogartDestructo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by BogartDestructo » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:21 pm

Picked one up from Gear4Music here in the UK about a month or so ago and there's no middle position on the And/Or switch for me. Does anybody have any info on when this middle 'off' position was added to the units? Is is something I could mod relatively easily?

cantremember
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cantremember » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:59 pm

BogartDestructo wrote:Picked one up from Gear4Music here in the UK about a month or so ago and there's no middle position on the And/Or switch for me. Does anybody have any info on when this middle 'off' position was added to the units? Is is something I could mod relatively easily?
I've had mine for about a year now and it's the same way. I was wondering if that was a new addition or just something that was missed on mine. Either way ita a great synth and tons of fun to play.

GrantB
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GrantB » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:09 pm

BogartDestructo wrote:Picked one up from Gear4Music here in the UK about a month or so ago and there's no middle position on the And/Or switch for me. Does anybody have any info on when this middle 'off' position was added to the units? Is is something I could mod relatively easily?
Mine was shipped June 3 from Gear4Music and it does have the 3 position switch. It's a black one, if that's what makes the difference.

j bowman
Common Wiggler

Post by j bowman » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:23 am

For those with the 2 position switch (like myself) I believe there is a workaround. On my model at least, if you switch the Hyper LFO to AND, Sync OFF, and then move the Freq A and Freq B knobs to the maximum frequency you can get the LFO to lock into a constantly ON position (i.e. green light shining continuously). From there I observe the phenomena that GrantB describes.

j bowman
Common Wiggler

Post by j bowman » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:24 am

IanEye wrote:
j bowman wrote:Just got the Analog Heat.
Hello, any chance you might make a video of the Lyra going into the Analog Heat?

Thanks!
I think that's highly likely, once I get my head around the Heat - it seems quite deep!

BogartDestructo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by BogartDestructo » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:41 am

GrantB wrote:
Mine was shipped June 3 from Gear4Music and it does have the 3 position switch. It's a black one, if that's what makes the difference.
Ahh mines a white - shipped May 28th. Good to know I guess for anyone thinking of picking one up from Gear4Music.

Gotta say 3 way switch or not it’s a truly wonderful instrument!

BogartDestructo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by BogartDestructo » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:43 am

j bowman wrote:For those with the 2 position switch (like myself) I believe there is a workaround. On my model at least, if you switch the Hyper LFO to AND, Sync OFF, and then move the Freq A and Freq B knobs to the maximum frequency you can get the LFO to lock into a constantly ON position (i.e. green light shining continuously). From there I observe the phenomena that GrantB describes.
I’ll give this a whirl today, thanks for the recipe!

houndington
Learning to Wiggle

Post by houndington » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:30 am

GrantB wrote:
j bowman wrote: What centre off position? I don't think mine has this! I either have AND or OR, and either SYNC or not. Is there another position on yours?
The AND OR switch has a center position which at first appears to switch the LFO off.
Damn, not on mine :)

GrantB
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GrantB » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:19 am

Here's a video with the Lyra and ContinuuMini
[video][/video]

gelabs
Common Wiggler

Post by gelabs » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:07 am

Nice combo, indeed :tu:

j bowman
Common Wiggler

Post by j bowman » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:45 am

new lyra songs

[video][/video]

electricanada
Ultra Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:23 am

j bowman wrote:new lyra songs

[video][/video]
Maybe your best one yet!
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

GrantB
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GrantB » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:44 pm

gorgeous :yay:

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EPTC » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:13 pm

Nice afternoon for recording.

Here's a short looper with Lyra 8, Ditto, and Organ:

"The Rubber Strip on the Interstate Quietly Counts Out Passing Cars."

http://soundcloud.com/eptc/rubber-car-counter

j bowman
Common Wiggler

Post by j bowman » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:18 am

EPTC wrote:Nice afternoon for recording.

Here's a short looper with Lyra 8, Ditto, and Organ:

"The Rubber Strip on the Interstate Quietly Counts Out Passing Cars."

http://soundcloud.com/eptc/rubber-car-counter
This is awesome. What's the organ?

BogartDestructo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by BogartDestructo » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:58 am

j bowman wrote:For those with the 2 position switch (like myself) I believe there is a workaround. On my model at least, if you switch the Hyper LFO to AND, Sync OFF, and then move the Freq A and Freq B knobs to the maximum frequency you can get the LFO to lock into a constantly ON position (i.e. green light shining continuously). From there I observe the phenomena that GrantB describes.
When you say green light shining continuously do you mean solidy? Tried last night and i get a constant flickering light (albeit one that never goes of - just pulses at a pretty fast rate) with the Hyper LFO set to those settings.

j bowman
Common Wiggler

Post by j bowman » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:36 pm

BogartDestructo wrote:
When you say green light shining continuously do you mean solidy? Tried last night and i get a constant flickering light (albeit one that never goes of - just pulses at a pretty fast rate) with the Hyper LFO set to those settings.
Yes, I tried it again very quickly tonight and I could get a constant OFF (which may well have the same effect as constant ON) or, like you, a very quickly flickering light (which again seems to amount to have the same effect as the constantly shining light I though I saw previously. Having now done this experiment, I wonder whether I was previously seeing the very quickly flickering light as being constantly ON. I made a quick rough and ready video to show you what I mean:

[video][/video]

Return to “General Gear”