Lyra-8 'Organismic' ambient synthesizer

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

slam
Common Wiggler

Post by slam » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:57 pm

http://www.mixingtable.com/lyra-8-desk-stand

Anybody ordered this nice looking stand?

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EPTC » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:05 pm

slam wrote:http://www.mixingtable.com/lyra-8-desk-stand
Anybody ordered this nice looking stand?
Gorgeous!
j bowman wrote:This is awesome. What's the organ?
Thanks! Baldwin Cabaret. Gorgeous tone generator, plays very well with SOMA pieces.

chit
Learning to Wiggle

Post by chit » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:49 am

I've got a white Lyra with a 3 position AND/OR switch. Bought it used so no idea of the age of it.

I still barely have a clue what I'm doing when I turn it on.

j bowman
Common Wiggler

Post by j bowman » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:07 pm

Another day, another drone:

[video][/video]

j bowman
Common Wiggler

Post by j bowman » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:56 am

My tribute to Vlad Kreimer and this instrument:

[video][/video]

The audio is taken from a great interview with Vlad which is here:

http://www.esotericmodulation.com/episo ... e-soma-way

Well worth listening to the whole thing if you are interested in Lyra / SOMA

GrantB
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GrantB » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:11 pm

Here's recording legend Sylvia Massy using the Lyra-8 to shill some Earthquaker pedals.

Lyra content starts at 22:50, though the rest of the video should be weird enough to appeal to most Lyra players.

[video][/video]

smetak
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by smetak » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:01 am

GrantB wrote: Lyra content starts at 22:50, though the rest of the video should be weird enough to appeal to most Lyra players.
Hahahaha! Best comment so far!

j bowman
Common Wiggler

Post by j bowman » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:45 pm

GrantB wrote:Here's recording legend Sylvia Massy using the Lyra-8 to shill some Earthquaker pedals.

Lyra content starts at 22:50, though the rest of the video should be weird enough to appeal to most Lyra players.

[video][/video]
Cool video, and intriguing use of the arpeggiator on the Lyra tone there.

j bowman
Common Wiggler

Post by j bowman » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:15 pm

New drone:

[video][/video]

cga
1-Post Wiggler

Post by cga » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:05 pm

Can anyone in the U.S. recommend a replacement power adapter for the LYRA-8?

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:11 pm

Those Earthquaker Devices videos are always pretty cool !

Here's a simple use of Lyra 8 in context; going through a high pass filter and phaser in the modular to provide a noisy lead :

[video][/video]

It comes in around the 7min mark.

sparood
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sparood » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:46 pm

cga wrote:Can anyone in the U.S. recommend a replacement power adapter for the LYRA-8?
Did you already contact SOMA about this? Their customer service is pretty good and I'm sure they will have an answer.

trax
Wiggling with Experience

Post by trax » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:46 am

Power Specs are in the online manual for an adapter on the soma page.

j bowman
Common Wiggler

Post by j bowman » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:42 am

I did a short demo exploring the pitch shifting effect of the MOD Delay, this thing has a lot of character:

[video][/video]

Looking forward to running a Pulsar 23 through it! :sb:

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:20 pm

I've got a Lyra-8 on the way, and wanted to say I'm really enjoying going through all the examples people have posted in the thread.

I feel like there should be a compilation album, or a trippy "silent" SF/horror movie set to these -- because this is better than most of the albums I've listened to this month.

I'm also getting a kind of deja-vu feel to some of these, like they're music that I have recorded myself and then forgotten. Either people need to get out of my head or this instrument is going to fit me perfectly. :tu:
If FM overkill is wrong, I don't want to be right. ★ starthief.bandcamp.comstarthief.netModularGrid

noisejockey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by noisejockey » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:17 pm

100% Lyra-8, music and animation by me:
[video][/video]

I also recently mastered J Bowman's all-Lyra-8 album, which I'd recommend:
[bandcamp width=100% height=120 album=3812370303 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 tracklist=false artwork=small]

electricanada
Ultra Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:59 pm

noisejockey wrote:100% Lyra-8, music and animation by me:
[video][/video]
Very nice track, great textures. How many layers of Lyra are there?

I record music that makes no money at all. I don't even try. But if I did make money, I would love to hire you to master my stuff. I don't have much to offer in trade besides music lessons in classical and jazz harmony, theory, arranging, composition, orchestration, etc. But it sounds like you don't need those.
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

noisejockey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by noisejockey » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:09 pm

electricanada wrote: Very nice track, great textures. How many layers of Lyra are there?
Thank you. Just checked the session file: Three layers, each through an Eventide Space. Layer two is in full force around 28 seconds, layer three starts firmly at 01:36. No effects in the box besides EQ and compression.

sparood
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sparood » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:34 pm

Yeah that's really good! Looks like a video for the indie game Machinarium. Are you involved in game design?

noisejockey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by noisejockey » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:36 pm

sparood wrote:Yeah that's really good! Looks like a video for the indie game Machinarium. Are you involved in game design?
Thank you. I've done sound design and music for films and games (most recently, I wrote the theme to The Blackout Club). While Machinarium wasn't a direct influence, the general idea of a side-scrolling "platformer" music video certainly was.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:31 pm

Mine just arrived today. It's not instant love to be honest, but I see a lot of potential once I get to know it better. I've definitely had some WHOA moments with it. :)

Something I haven't seen mentioned yet in terms of playing technique: the bottom contacts for all the voices share a common electrical connection; it's the top ones that are unique per voice.

So if you maintain skin contact with one finger on any of the bottom contacts, you can play any note by touching only its top contact with any finger on either hand.

Or you can hold multiple top contacts, and then touch a bottom contact to play them all simultaneously.
If FM overkill is wrong, I don't want to be right. ★ starthief.bandcamp.comstarthief.netModularGrid

Synth Con Meo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Synth Con Meo » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:35 pm

starthief wrote:Mine just arrived today. It's not instant love to be honest, but I see a lot of potential once I get to know it better. I've definitely had some WHOA moments with it. :)

Something I haven't seen mentioned yet in terms of playing technique: the bottom contacts for all the voices share a common electrical connection; it's the top ones that are unique per voice.

So if you maintain skin contact with one finger on any of the bottom contacts, you can play any note by touching only its top contact with any finger on either hand.

Or you can hold multiple top contacts, and then touch a bottom contact to play them all simultaneously.
I discovered that about the common connection of the bottom contact. I thought I mentioned that before in this thread but maybe not. Yeah the instrument does take some time to get your head around to start to be able to control it (somewhat). I think it will always control the user more though which makes it unique, good or bad.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:13 pm

Synth Con Meo wrote:I discovered that about the common connection of the bottom contact. I thought I mentioned that before in this thread but maybe not.
Aha, looking back, I see you did :oops:
Synth Con Meo wrote:I think it will always control the user more though which makes it unique, good or bad.
I thought I was relatively prepared for that, given that I like to play with feedback loops and PLLs and other somewhat chaotic stuff. Lyra-8 is on a whole different level though :)

My first jam with it:

https://soundcloud.com/starthief/lyra1

That delay is even noisier than most PT delays I think... I kind of love it, but taming it a little bit is good. On this one I used Klevgrand Brusfri and a high shelf EQ for that. Also threw some Arturia Delay Eternity and Valhalla Vintage Verb at it.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:46 am

I bought the cotton "dust cover" online, thinking of it as a $10 alternative to the Decksaver that looks better too.

It does look pretty nice with the logo embroidered on it, but it's not what I thought it was -- it's like a laptop sleeve that you slide the Lyra into from one end. I thought it would be a cover to lay over it in place, with no bottom. It's not like the bottom of the instrument is going to get dusty in the studio...

Trying to decide whether to take the scissors to it and make it more like what I wanted, or just get some black velvet or something to throw over my various gear.

strangeowl
Common Wiggler

Post by strangeowl » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:19 pm

My album just came out last week!

It heavily features the Lyra. I couldn't have done this album without the Lyra. Such a nice instrument <3

Here's the first track of the album, which is an expanded improvisation I recorded the first week I got the Lyra.

https://soundcloud.com/iamthys/auroras-theme

spotify/bandcamp/etc links here:
https://bit.ly/ThysSleepingBeautyDreams

Return to “General Gear”