Lyra-8 'Organismic' ambient synthesizer

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

Faldoe
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Faldoe » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:25 pm

Tumulishroomaroom wrote:Those Earthquaker Devices videos are always pretty cool !

Here's a simple use of Lyra 8 in context; going through a high pass filter and phaser in the modular to provide a noisy lead :

[video][/video]

It comes in around the 7min mark.
Damn, thats good!

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:41 am

Faldoe wrote:
Damn, thats good!
Thank you !

Little ambient snippet here with the Lyra 8 as a pulsing sub

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3rP_KBh5M7/

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:24 pm

I decided to record a much longer version of that snippet since I quite liked it :

http://soundcloud.com/tumulishoomaroom/ ... ock-cables

j bowman
Common Wiggler

Post by j bowman » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:48 am

My new all-Lyra album is released today - "Lyra 8 Drones - 'Just a Memory'". Again the Lyra 8 was the only instrument used in the making of this album, with a bit of reverb (Boss RV-500). The album was mastered by Nathan Moody at ObsidianSound.

The album is available to stream and download at bandcamp http://jbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

A promo video featuring the title track from the album is here:

[video][/video]

Recording the album was a therepeutic experience, hopefully the listening experiece is similar.
Last edited by j bowman on Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Flexyflier
Common Wiggler

Post by Flexyflier » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:50 am

This track was done with the Lyra8 and Phenol

https://soundcloud.com/flickering-dial/koi-314c
"Drowning...................not waving!"

electricanada
Ultra Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:05 pm

j bowman wrote:My new all-Lyra album is released today - "Lyra 8 Drones - 'Just a Memory'". Again the Lyra 8 was the only instrument used in the making of this album, with a bit of reverb (Boss RV-500). The album was mastered by Nathan Moody at ObsidianSound.

The album is available to stream and download at bandcamp http://jbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

[video][/video]

Recording the album was a therepeutic experience, hopefully the listening experiece is similar.
Really beautiful album. It sounds like you have several channels of Lyra on each track, and are bringing them in and out with mixer faders?
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

j bowman
Common Wiggler

Post by j bowman » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:42 am

electricanada wrote:
j bowman wrote:My new all-Lyra album is released today - "Lyra 8 Drones - 'Just a Memory'". Again the Lyra 8 was the only instrument used in the making of this album, with a bit of reverb (Boss RV-500). The album was mastered by Nathan Moody at ObsidianSound.

[video][/video]

Really beautiful album. It sounds like you have several channels of Lyra on each track, and are bringing them in and out with mixer faders?
Thank you. Two channels per track, each "identical", but played by hand, then hard panned left and right in the mix.

electricanada
Ultra Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:10 pm

j bowman wrote:
electricanada wrote:
Thank you. Two channels per track, each "identical", but played by hand, then hard panned left and right in the mix.
The envelopes seem so slow that I thought maybe you were fading the synth in and out.

j bowman
Common Wiggler

Post by j bowman » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:16 am

electricanada wrote:
j bowman wrote:
electricanada wrote:
The envelopes seem so slow that I thought maybe you were fading the synth in and out.
No playing with the volume knob in the performance, or adjusting levels in mixing - these are all live captures. Generally I am triggering the fast switches to bring pairs of voices in and out. Sometimes the pairs are tuned identically, which gives more subtle contol over amplitude (plus some nice phasing). The Hold knobs are generally set right at the low threshold for the slow envelopes (around 10am on my unit) - this gives a very slow attack and release ("the long, lovely envelopes of the Lyra 8"). Voices are also brought in and out of prominence using the Sharp knob (fully CCW is "darker" or more muffled), and you can push the voices back or forward in the mix by playing with the mix knob on the delay section (12 o'clock is recessed).

The slow fadeouts are done by turning the Hold knob fully CCW - almost never by switching off the voices using the fast switch (except I do this at the end of "Silver Thread" to each pair of voices in turn).

All in all, once you decide to play this thing as a drone machine, rather than melodically, it opens up another world of possibilities.

powertran
Common Wiggler

Post by powertran » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:33 pm

Enough already. You could knock up a similar sound with a decent electric guitar and a few pedals.

GrantB
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GrantB » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:45 pm

powertran wrote:Enough already. You could knock up a similar sound with a decent electric guitar and a few pedals.
1) You are incorrect. There is no 8 string guitar which FMs between strings, and there is no pedal which will fix that. There is also no guitar with anywhere near the tuning range of the Lyra. You are clearly out of your depth and do not understand the basic functionality of this synth.

2) "Enough already"? Really? I think you're the one who needs to leave the discussion, at least until you can become informed enough to make a contribution.

teamhobson
Common Wiggler

Post by teamhobson » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:58 am

I need this synth... I've been obsessing over it for weeks now.

Don't suppose anyone would be willing to swap theirs + cash (or module) for a Monomachine sfx60 mkII?

sparood
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sparood » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:21 am

Maybe better to ask it in the WTB forum section ;)

BogartDestructo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by BogartDestructo » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:44 pm

powertran wrote:Enough already. You could knock up a similar sound with a decent electric guitar and a few pedals.
1) Err...Nah.
2) No
3) Nope
4) Defo not
5) Bye

j bowman
Common Wiggler

Post by j bowman » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:36 am

I am not sure whether powertran's comment was addressed to me or not. Either way I take no offence, I think he raises and interesting philosophical point.

Personally I find that the tone of the Lyra can approximate an electric guitar, an electric organ or something far more extreme (as GrantB says).

In my music, and particularly my two Lyra albums, I have sought to allow the essential tone of the Lyra to express itself. If someone feels they could get similar results with an electric guitar and some pedals then that's great for them.

An instrument is partly timbre and partly "touch" , or the way the player interfaces with it. The touch of the Lyra seems to me pretty unique. The timbre also has something about it which drives some to obsession.

Richard deHove
Common Wiggler

Post by Richard deHove » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:42 pm

j bowman wrote: An instrument is partly timbre and partly "touch" , or the way the player interfaces with it. The touch of the Lyra seems to me pretty unique. The timbre also has something about it which drives some to obsession.
I think this is the essence of Lyra. It's the experience of playing and interacting with it. Maybe some other instruments could get the same tones but how you'd get there would be profoundly different.

GrantB
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GrantB » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:49 pm

Even playing one note of Lyra with modulation off has a very obvious two way interaction with the neighboring oscillator which makes it sound significantly different from my other synths with regular VCOs. That's the organic part of organismic. You'd need a big modular with some matrix mixers (or shoddy grounding) to really get into Lyra-8 territory.

Sure, we can make sustained tones with many instruments, but when you're making music which consists of only a few sustained tones, the small differences become the primary characteristics. See Eleh, et al. If you try to do "that Eleh thing" with the Lyra you may be disappointed because it won't do those unison beats without locking up. You'd have to multitrack, but even then the sound is significantly more furry. Lyra's doing its own thing.

j bowman
Common Wiggler

Post by j bowman » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:38 pm

Yes - touch and timbre, both linked on the Lyra. First album I mostly played the key contacts, second album I only used the hold knob and envelope switches - touch has a massive impact on timbre. As soon as you touch the contacts you feel like you trigger something, and however gently you play the sound has an "edge" to it. Playing with the hold knob you can get such slow crescendos... the sound is much gentler, more like an orchestra than a solo violin.

j bowman
Common Wiggler

Post by j bowman » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:15 pm

New discovery - running an audio cable FROM the Audio In Jack to my amp seems to tap the output of the Lyra Pre-effects the section. That way you can run a wet and dry out simultaneously + you still have the headphones to monitor the wet signal...

electricanada
Ultra Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:08 am

j bowman wrote:New discovery - running an audio cable FROM the Audio In Jack to my amp seems to tap the output of the Lyra Pre-effects the section. That way you can run a wet and dry out simultaneously + you still have the headphones to monitor the wet signal...
There’s audio coming out the audio in jack? That makes me a little leery of plugging audio in there, for fear of damaging my sources elrctgonics.

electricfence
Common Wiggler

Post by electricfence » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:33 am

electricanada wrote:
j bowman wrote:New discovery - running an audio cable FROM the Audio In Jack to my amp seems to tap the output of the Lyra Pre-effects the section. That way you can run a wet and dry out simultaneously + you still have the headphones to monitor the wet signal...
There’s audio coming out the audio in jack? That makes me a little leery of plugging audio in there, for fear of damaging my sources elrctgonics.
I haven't tested this with my Lyra, but I know that this is how the Dreadbox Nyx v1 is set up. The Nyx was designed this way to give you a dry output, for the sake of flexibility. (Now, the Lyra is lots of things, but I'm not sure I'd call it "flexible.")

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:59 pm

I picked up a Lyra, did an album with it - there's a thread in the tunes section and a link below.
[bandcamp width=400 height=472 album=2670562130 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 artwork=small]

My impressions of the machine are that it's pretty fun/quick to get things going on and is far more simple/straightforward than I was expecting given what I've read in this thread and others - it's pretty much exactly what I imagined from studying the front panel and looking at the signal flow. Sounds nice - can do weedy and massive - and is very playable one way or another. I swapped my tune knobs for bigger ones since I kept reaching for the hold by accident. I'm yet to try the inputs...

Madrayken
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Madrayken » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:50 pm

noisejockey wrote:100% Lyra-8, music and animation by me:
[video][/video]

I also recently mastered J Bowman's all-Lyra-8 album, which I'd recommend:
[bandcamp width=100% height=120 album=3812370303 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 tracklist=false artwork=small]
Christ. That is huge.
Anger is a sublimated desire for power.

https://denecarter.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/Madrayken

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:29 am

tIB wrote:I swapped my tune knobs for bigger ones since I kept reaching for the hold by accident. I'm yet to try the inputs...
I got some Bugbrand-style knobs to replace all the knobs except for Tune -- Mod knobs color coded in red and Mix in yellow, the rest white. Then I moved the original Mod/Sharp knobs down to Tune, since I'm not fond of the "combination lock" style original knobs.
If FM overkill is wrong, I don't want to be right. ★ starthief.bandcamp.comstarthief.netModularGrid

j bowman
Common Wiggler

Post by j bowman » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:14 am

a love letter from my subsequent 37 to my lyra

[video][/video]

Return to “General Gear”