Lyra-8 'Organismic' ambient synthesizer

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

Post Reply
AxeD
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:12 pm
Location: Amsterdam

Post by AxeD » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:29 am

First time caller, long time listener. Decided to make an account when I saw this very useful thread on the Lyra. I received mine yesterday after noodling on
it at SchneidersLaden over the weekend. Very impressed with this peculiar synth! I tried it with my Dynacord S75 but I think my next purchase will be a reverb pedal.

My question is about influencing it's sound through the CV ins though. I don't really have any experience with CV whatsoever so I'd be interested to hear from anyone here who has something connected to the CV voices or gate. What do you use and how?

User avatar
Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1321
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:17 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:34 am

Gate/trigger patterns into the delay cv inputs can give you cool rhythmic modulation/sounds. I’ve never really used the voice cv.

AxeD
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:12 pm
Location: Amsterdam

Post by AxeD » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:06 am

Tumulishroomaroom wrote:Gate/trigger patterns into the delay cv inputs can give you cool rhythmic modulation/sounds. I’ve never really used the voice cv.
Nice! That sounds like something I'd be interested in. What do you use
to create these patterns? A Beatstep or some sequencing module?
It would be very useful to have some more control over the rhythmic sounds
that you can get out of the delay and LFO's. Kind of like in the loopop video I guess.

User avatar
electricfence
Common Wiggler
Posts: 196
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 10:11 pm

Post by electricfence » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:19 am

I also haven't really used the CV inputs on my Lyra, but I think that you could get some nice rhythmic patterns with a Korg SQ-1, which you ought to be able to find cheap, and which is nice and compact (if that matters to you). It will also let you sequence the pitch, as well, although the Lyra doesn't conform to a 1v/Oct standard.

As others have mentioned on this thread, it seems to benefit from effects. I've recently paired it with a Moog MF-Trem tremolo pedal. I'm not sure if this is a standard feature on tremolo pedals, but it has a tone control that essentially sends the wet signal through a low-pass filter, so that as the knob is fully counter-clockwise, only the lowest frequencies are affected, and as you turn it clockwise, higher frequencies also become wet. I've found it to be a nice way to get rhythmic (well, pulsing) build-ups with the Lyra, and it's more pleasing to me than the hyper LFO on the Lyra.

User avatar
Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1321
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:17 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:11 pm

AxeD wrote:
Tumulishroomaroom wrote:Gate/trigger patterns into the delay cv inputs can give you cool rhythmic modulation/sounds. I’ve never really used the voice cv.
Nice! That sounds like something I'd be interested in. What do you use
to create these patterns? A Beatstep or some sequencing module?
It would be very useful to have some more control over the rhythmic sounds
that you can get out of the delay and LFO's. Kind of like in the loopop video I guess.
Any pattern gate generator is fine. I play it alongside my modular so any trigger sequencer or smaller interesting modules like Numeric/Zularic Repetitor, Pamela's Workout, Euclidian Circles would be fine and fun ! It also gives a semblance of "sync" to your Lyra.

Couple examples I probably have posted already :

http://soundcloud.com/tumulishoomaroom/scorched-dub
It's the first thing you hear.

http://soundcloud.com/tumulishoomaroom/ ... th-no-tape
This is just Lyra but you can hear the rythmic effect of the LFO on the delays, basically you can recreate this with the timing you want with triggers.

Eventide Space is great with the Lyra, also El Capistan in stereo is beautiful.

AxeD
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:12 pm
Location: Amsterdam

Post by AxeD » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:58 am

Thanks for the answers! All very helpful.
I wasn't necessarily looking at getting into modular, but I did consider
that the Lyra might be a gateway. Looking into that SQ-1 first.

Really like that Scorched Dub example you posted. I got a nice pulsing
bass from the Lyra yesterday and tried to play drums over it on my rytm
but it took some doing (and some editing).

User avatar
starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3872
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:39 am
Location: St Louis, MO
Contact:

Post by starthief » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:33 pm

An album featuring the Lyra-8, with Eurorack, Reface CS and software:

[bandcamp width=100% height=120 album=3133305553 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 tracklist=false artwork=small]

Things I've tried, and how well they worked:

External audio rate modulation: I wasn't impressed; there are better possibilities with the internal routing. If anything I'd try AMing the output (I haven't yet).

Sequencing the osc CV via SQ-1: it sort of worked? The range of frequencies available was kind of limited, but I came up with a melody I liked on one oscillator and then let the others work with it however they would. :)

Modulating the delay time: worked pretty well, just don't expect precise pitch shifts.

Modulating hold CV: of all the CV inputs, this is the most reliable. Tweak the hold knobs to select quartets of oscillators that will be affected by the CV, and play the touchplates along with it.

Combined FX processor & sound source: I think this works pretty well, either using the Lyra for drones or bass, or for the main melody on top of the input. Having external audio share the delay and distortion helps glue it together in a not very gentle, but usable way.

With reverb: a little extra reverb, or a second layer of (gently modulated) delay really adds something I think. Mimeophon was good for this.

Through lo-fi tape emulation: I love how well the Lyra works with the sound of worn-out tape. Probably because it rolls off a lot of the high end and adds saturation. I became a big fan of XLNAudio RC-20 and Wavesfactory Cassette during the recording of this album.

Noise reduction: going for max noise from the PT delay but then reigning it in a little bit with adaptive noise reduction worked pretty well for me. It was helpful along with EQ (or auto EQ) to reduce the resonant peaks, which tends to enhance noisiness anyway. I did not ever try for a truly clean, noise-free sound with the Lyra because I feel that just goes against its nature.

Through an LPG: there's a lot going in in the upper part of the spectrum, so it makes excellent LPG fodder.

Into resonators or feedback loops: it's a pretty great, playable excitation signal.

Inside of feedback loops: I had a little less success running audio through the Lyra in a feedback loop without devolving into more intense noise than I was looking for.
If FM overkill is wrong, I don't want to be right. ★ starthief.bandcamp.comstarthief.netModularGrid

User avatar
tIB
Stainer!
Posts: 9032
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:28 am
Location: UK

Post by tIB » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:25 am

starthief wrote:
Through lo-fi tape emulation: I love how well the Lyra works with the sound of worn-out tape. Probably because it rolls off a lot of the high end and adds saturation. I became a big fan of XLNAudio RC-20 and Wavesfactory Cassette during the recording of this album.
This! On the thing I posted I had the Lyra running through STS tape simulator on its most lo-fi setting. Also went through ebbe und flut and culture vulture for maximum crunch. It's one of those where the noise should be embraced and celebrated!

User avatar
Richard deHove
Common Wiggler
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:32 pm
Location: Van Diemen's Land
Contact:

Post by Richard deHove » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:55 am

@starthief Thanks for your detailed notes! I typically use a bit of delay and reverb, although too much very easily washes out the interesting grit and grain.

I've also started to use a detailed spectrum analyzer to quickly see what notes I was hitting and avoid some of the mud. Mostly this is afterwards though when chopping up sessions.

AxeD
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:12 pm
Location: Amsterdam

Post by AxeD » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:13 am

starthief wrote:
Modulating the delay time: worked pretty well, just don't expect precise pitch shifts.

Modulating hold CV: of all the CV inputs, this is the most reliable. Tweak the hold knobs to select quartets of oscillators that will be affected by the CV, and play the touchplates along with it.
Thanks for explaining all these methods and the results!

Again, forgive my ignorance on the subject of devices that output CV, but
could you tell me what you used exactly?

User avatar
starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3872
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:39 am
Location: St Louis, MO
Contact:

Post by starthief » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:42 am

I used various Eurorack modules and a Korg SQ-1.

For delay time modulation a basic LFO can be useful alternative to the built in Hyper LFO. The Harvestman Kermit is usually my go-to LFO, but Maths or Stages are also good.

For the Hold CV input I just used gates from the SQ-1, or from Monome Teletype (though that one didn't make it onto the album).


If you don't have modular gear, Hungry Robot Clockable LFO might be a good option, though a semi-modular synth like the Behringer Neutron or Make Noise 0-Coast is a lot more fun and flexible :)
If FM overkill is wrong, I don't want to be right. ★ starthief.bandcamp.comstarthief.netModularGrid

electricanada
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 992
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:26 am
Location: Norfolk, VA

Post by electricanada » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:40 am

Anyone tried audio into the hold CV? Does it “envelope follow” at all?
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

User avatar
sparood
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 464
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:51 pm
Location: Netherlands

Post by sparood » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:41 pm

From what I understand it only works like a gate signal i.e. it's an on/off signal for Lyra's internal 'fixed' envelope.

electricanada
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 992
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:26 am
Location: Norfolk, VA

Post by electricanada » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:45 pm

sparood wrote:From what I understand it only works like a gate signal i.e. it's an on/off signal for Lyra's internal 'fixed' envelope.
That sounds like it might still be usable to get a Lyra pad to sound under external audio without having to touch the Lyra.
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

User avatar
sparood
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 464
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:51 pm
Location: Netherlands

Post by sparood » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:20 pm

I have seen a video (probably in this topic) where Lyra was CV'd doing a techno rhythm, so that definitely should be possible.

SingIt
Common Wiggler
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:33 pm
Location: Miami

Re:

Post by SingIt » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:06 pm

j bowman wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:48 am
My new all-Lyra album is released today - "Lyra 8 Drones - 'Just a Memory'". Again the Lyra 8 was the only instrument used in the making of this album, with a bit of reverb (Boss RV-500). The album was mastered by Nathan Moody at ObsidianSound.

The album is available to stream and download at bandcamp http://jbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

A promo video featuring the title track from the album is here:

[video][/video]

Recording the album was a therepeutic experience, hopefully the listening experiece is similar.
Dude, just awesome. I make more retrowave, lofi house but I could see myself using this. I already use my DFAM profusely, and I can see this pairing up quite well. Also, Nathan is great.

User avatar
j bowman
Common Wiggler
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:39 pm
Location: Oxfordshire
Contact:

Re: Re:

Post by j bowman » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:45 pm

SingIt wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:06 pm
j bowman wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:48 am
My new all-Lyra album is released today - "Lyra 8 Drones - 'Just a Memory'". Again the Lyra 8 was the only instrument used in the making of this album, with a bit of reverb (Boss RV-500). The album was mastered by Nathan Moody at ObsidianSound.

The album is available to stream and download at bandcamp http://jbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

A promo video featuring the title track from the album is here:

[video][/video]

Recording the album was a therepeutic experience, hopefully the listening experiece is similar.
Dude, just awesome. I make more retrowave, lofi house but I could see myself using this. I already use my DFAM profusely, and I can see this pairing up quite well. Also, Nathan is great.
Thank you for the kind words, and I agree Nathan is great!

I had the DFAM myself before I bought my Lyra, and I kept the two of them side by side for a while, but I ended up selling the DFAM as I came to realise that it didn't really suit the kind of music I wanted to make...

...which turned out to be solo Lyra music ;-)

I found the Lyra a deep, inspirational and pretty-much all consuming instrument. It changed the way I think about music, and it didn't leave much room for other other synths. Just recently I may have entered remission from the most extreme stage of this obsession.

Good luck!

User avatar
NeolithicElectrophones
Common Wiggler
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:38 am
Location: California

Re: Lyra-8 'Organismic' ambient synthesizer

Post by NeolithicElectrophones » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:28 pm

Edit: Never mind. Thank you to everyone at Soma for producing this amazing instrument.

Thanks as well to everyone for sharing so much helpful information and great demo videos in this thread.

Happy New Year!

dunes82
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:32 pm
Location: Portland

Re: Lyra-8 'Organismic' ambient synthesizer

Post by dunes82 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:44 pm

bought a Lyra 8 over the holidays... I'm really liking it! So far it's helped me, more than any other instrument, jump headlong into abstraction/noise/drone, music that I've always loved but had a hard time creating.

here's an experiment I recorded last night.. SY-1 driven by SQ-1 into Lyra's awesome delay and overdrive circuits with some of the Lyra's voices coming in about halfway through. The output of the Lyra is processed through a stack of Boss Micro Rack FX and a Boss PS2.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3xk16wlqfwfya ... 5.wav?dl=0

User avatar
th0mas
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 555
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:36 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: Lyra-8 'Organismic' ambient synthesizer

Post by th0mas » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:01 pm

This may be sacrilege but just so people know, there's an ipad app coming from one of the top ios music app developers (Bram Bos - who also made Hammerhead drum machine last century!) that seems to be inspired by the Lyra

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/3642 ... ynthesizer

sallowworm
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:57 am
Location: Wales

Re:

Post by sallowworm » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:32 pm

j bowman wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:45 am
new lyra songs

[video][/video]
Still one of the best things I've heard out of this synth. Beautiful piece

electricanada
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 992
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:26 am
Location: Norfolk, VA

Re: Lyra-8 'Organismic' ambient synthesizer

Post by electricanada » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:33 pm

th0mas wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:01 pm
This may be sacrilege but just so people know, there's an ipad app coming from one of the top ios music app developers (Bram Bos - who also made Hammerhead drum machine last century!) that seems to be inspired by the Lyra

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/3642 ... ynthesizer
Much respect to Bram, but I doubt any iPad synth will ever get close to the Lyra.
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

User avatar
th0mas
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 555
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:36 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: Lyra-8 'Organismic' ambient synthesizer

Post by th0mas » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:40 pm

electricanada wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:33 pm
Much respect to Bram, but I doubt any iPad synth will ever get close to the Lyra.
ughhh shhhh im trying so hard to not buy one :)

electricanada
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 992
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:26 am
Location: Norfolk, VA

Re: Lyra-8 'Organismic' ambient synthesizer

Post by electricanada » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:58 pm

th0mas wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:40 pm
electricanada wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:33 pm
Much respect to Bram, but I doubt any iPad synth will ever get close to the Lyra.
ughhh shhhh im trying so hard to not buy one :)
I just listened to all the demos. Bram’s app is excellent. But it lacks the depth and detail of the Lyra. It’s 85% there though.
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

User avatar
j bowman
Common Wiggler
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:39 pm
Location: Oxfordshire
Contact:

Re: Re:

Post by j bowman » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:30 pm

sallowworm wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:32 pm
j bowman wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:45 am
new lyra songs

[video][/video]
Still one of the best things I've heard out of this synth. Beautiful piece
Thanks!

Was supposed to be the first piece in an album about my favourite composer, William Lawes. He was a Lyra player in the 17th century (Lyra viol rather than Lyra 8):

http://www.earlymusicworld.com/william-lawes

But I got sidetracked - it's still on my to do list...

Post Reply

Return to “General Gear”