Arturia DrumBrute

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

catchpenny
Wiggling with Experience

Post by catchpenny » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:06 am

catchpenny

So I've had mine for about a week now and I've been having a lot of fun with it. Sequencer is wonderful and I'm getting a lot of mileage out of processing the individual outs.

I've run into a few issues though, wondering if anyone can shed some light?

1. I get a high-pitched whining noise when it's attatched to my computer either by USB or din midi. I guess this is a ground loop. It don't know what the solution is.

2. I can't seem to sequence my nord micro modular directly from the midi out. I can get it to work by running it through max msp first and reformatting the midi.... hmmm actually thinking out loud here I never checked what midi channel it communicates on by default.... maybe it's
So I solved my second issue, global midi is set to channel 10 by default.

I'd appreciate any tips regarding ground loops? I read somewhere this was also an issue with the minibrute?

catchpenny
Wiggling with Experience

Post by catchpenny » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:17 am

josaka wrote:at first was excited.. good demos with no music.. tons of demos up now.. not keen anymore doesn't seem to sit in mixes well.. strange harmonics.. looking elsewhere.
Sorry, didn't mean to bury your post!

I agree that the sounds in them selves aren't perfect for me but I'm getting where I want with some post processing and the sequencer makes it all worthwhile for me.

catchpenny
Wiggling with Experience

Post by catchpenny » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:20 am

https://soundcloud.com/trudatsound/drumbrutechromaphone
https://soundcloud.com/trudatsound/drumbutenord-modular

just some examples of the fun im having sequencing with the drumbrute.
drum sounds are untreated.

baspirco
Learning to Wiggle

Post by baspirco » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:19 am

catchpenny wrote:
catchpenny

So I've had mine for about a week now and I've been having a lot of fun with it. Sequencer is wonderful and I'm getting a lot of mileage out of processing the individual outs.

I've run into a few issues though, wondering if anyone can shed some light?

1. I get a high-pitched whining noise when it's attatched to my computer either by USB or din midi. I guess this is a ground loop. It don't know what the solution is.

2. I can't seem to sequence my nord micro modular directly from the midi out. I can get it to work by running it through max msp first and reformatting the midi.... hmmm actually thinking out loud here I never checked what midi channel it communicates on by default.... maybe it's
So I solved my second issue, global midi is set to channel 10 by default.

I'd appreciate any tips regarding ground loops? I read somewhere this was also an issue with the minibrute?
I've had these high-pitch loops with faulty USB cables, try changing that one out. It really was day by day though, some venues had no problems, some had to change out all the cabling in the setup.

For the MIDI-Sync, it sometimes completely freezes up my Machine Drum MK-1, still trying to figure that out.

Ranxerox
All the gear, no idea

Post by Ranxerox » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:54 am

I'm having issues with the damn MIDI Control Centre and Drumbrute - my PC refuses to 'handshake' with it over USB. Tried my work laptop and it's fine, but for some reason my DAW desktop machine hates it. Anyone else had 'failed to open device' errors?

smithknows
Wiggling with Experience

Post by smithknows » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:43 am

Well shoot!
I'm enjoying my Drumbrute but...

I finally got around to multi tracking it. Turns out I have a busted Kick2 output. Bummer.

Anybody else have this kind of issue yet? Did I just get a lemon?
Hopefully I can exchange it under warranty.

MRoyce
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MRoyce » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:59 am

Ranxerox wrote:I'm having issues with the damn MIDI Control Centre and Drumbrute - my PC refuses to 'handshake' with it over USB. Tried my work laptop and it's fine, but for some reason my DAW desktop machine hates it. Anyone else had 'failed to open device' errors?
Same OS and patch level on both machines? I've also sometimes had issues with recognising MIDI devices when there are already a few connected, though I think this might be due to a cheap/bad USB hub.

Ranxerox
All the gear, no idea

Post by Ranxerox » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:35 am

MRoyce wrote:
Ranxerox wrote:I'm having issues with the damn MIDI Control Centre and Drumbrute - my PC refuses to 'handshake' with it over USB. Tried my work laptop and it's fine, but for some reason my DAW desktop machine hates it. Anyone else had 'failed to open device' errors?
Same OS and patch level on both machines? I've also sometimes had issues with recognising MIDI devices when there are already a few connected, though I think this might be due to a cheap/bad USB hub.
Yes, same version of MCC and running latest Drumbrute firmware. No USB hub or other USB audio devices (keeping an eye on Device Manager just to be sure).

Both computers are Lenovo; the Thinkpad T450s works, while the Thinkstation D20 doesn't. Both are on Windows 7; I can't testify they are running exactly the same OS patches, but they are both up to date.

Flohr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Flohr » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:51 pm

Ranxerox
I had some issues with the DB and the KeyStep Firmware update because of Windows 7 trying to find drivers. I think if you disable the automatic driver search and install thing it should work.

Ranxerox
All the gear, no idea

Post by Ranxerox » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:26 pm

Flohr wrote:Ranxerox
I had some issues with the DB and the KeyStep Firmware update because of Windows 7 trying to find drivers. I think if you disable the automatic driver search and install thing it should work.
Thanks, I'll see if I can get this to work.

It seems the DB is class compliant i.e. doesn't require a special USB driver. However there is some sort of magic going on, because when it works the DB is visible in Windows Device Manager by name. When it doesn't work (as on my Thinkstation) it's listed as a generic USB audio device.

grep
Veteran Wiggler

Post by grep » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:05 pm

Just arrived today! Merry Bruting Christmas everyone!

catchpenny
Wiggling with Experience

Post by catchpenny » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:28 am

Have fun with it :guinness:

Ranxerox
All the gear, no idea

Post by Ranxerox » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:30 am

Ranxerox wrote:
Flohr wrote:Ranxerox
Thanks, I'll see if I can get this to work.

It seems the DB is class compliant i.e. doesn't require a special USB driver. However there is some sort of magic going on, because when it works the DB is visible in Windows Device Manager by name. When it doesn't work (as on my Thinkstation) it's listed as a generic USB audio device.
Turns out the problem was caused by CopperLAN; it doesn't like USB class-compliant MIDI devices.

I was able to 'turn off' the DB in CopperLAN Manager, and that released the driver to service other applications (like MCC and Reaper etc.).

So, CopperLAN users - beware!

polyoptics
Common Wiggler

Post by polyoptics » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:54 pm

Here is the drumBrute playing with some eurorack. Its sound is going through a filter, lightly compressed then though chorus/reverb with the rest of the track. I'm no music pro, but I do love the sequencer, sound is good for my use as well.

[video][/video]

itijik
Three eyed monster

Post by itijik » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:52 pm

[video][/video]

The Drumbrute is being processed by the modular. ResEQ over most of the drums, doepfer sem on the hats. All other sounds were created beforehand in Ableton.

dansen
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dansen » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:24 pm

I'm having a lot of trouble getting MIDI input to work from my Beatstep Pro.

I've double checked MIDI Control Center to confirm that the drum pads are mapped to the corresponding instruments on the DrumBrute.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? :despair: :despair:

mhtones
Dreams in CV

Post by mhtones » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:12 am

itijik wrote:[video][/video]

The Drumbrute is being processed by the modular. ResEQ over most of the drums, doepfer sem on the hats. All other sounds were created beforehand in Ableton.
Niiiiiiiiice. :tu:

djthopa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by djthopa » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:43 pm

Got mine today, cool machine.

I really like the sequencer...but im not too sure about the drum sounds, guess i have to keep an open mind and get used to them, my brain is too used to the 909 / 808 sounds :ripbanana:

Might end up sequencing the modular drums from the sequencer with a midi to trigger, wonder if the individual outs are hot enough to trigger modular stuff, we shall see. :hmm:

slicetwo
Common Wiggler

Post by slicetwo » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:08 pm

I was super excited for this. I went to Sam Ash and played with it for a while and decided it wasn't really for me. The sounds are cool and I enjoyed playing around with it, but I'm beginning to think that analog drum machines aren't really necessary for my tunes. I do still have my eye on a Rytm, but that's probably a bit more in depth than the DB.

Turboblast
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Turboblast » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:01 pm

I've been using the 1/8" TRS sync out to a Y cable, so I get a clock on one and a reset on the other.

Clock is fine but the reset acts funny. My metropolis won't run when the reset jack is plugged in from the brute.

Really excited to hear this melekko drum machine from NAMM !!! GAS!!

DigitalNativeDunce
Common Wiggler

Post by DigitalNativeDunce » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:48 pm

Love this thing. Ideas just fall out of it and I feel like I've not even dug that deeply into it yet.

MrTurboparrot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MrTurboparrot » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:55 am

Damn I wish this thing could do proper polyrhythms - the button on the top should actually read 'polymeter' :doh:

I guess it's too much to ask for clock division in something like this. Are there any workarounds? anyone?
"You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven." Jimi Hendrix

16osc
Common Wiggler

Post by 16osc » Fri May 12, 2017 7:36 pm

any further thoughts on the drumbrute as a midi sequencer? I have the beat step pro but considering the drumbrute for midi sequencing.

Ranxerox
All the gear, no idea

Post by Ranxerox » Sat May 13, 2017 9:34 am

It works well as an 808-style percussion sequencer, but not as a melodic or polyphic sequencer. The note assignments for each sound can only be modified using the control center software and pushed across via firmware. When using with external midi sound source, it's best to map the sounds on the target device to the drum brute note assignments rather than the other way around.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:33 pm

Return to “General Gear”