New Stand-Alone MPC

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

xparis001
Common Wiggler

Post by xparis001 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:44 pm

DSC wrote:
xparis001 wrote:
it's photoshop.
Nope, not photoshop!

huh, looks like someone made a breakout cable for the CV outs.

looks like they definitely voided their warranty :)
Senior Product Manager, Akai Professional

DSC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DSC » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:55 pm

xparis001 wrote:

Yeah, I'm good at that!
www.MillionMachineMarch.com
Last edited by Flatscan on Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: undoing the damage

xparis001
Common Wiggler

Post by xparis001 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:48 am

DSC wrote:
xparis001 wrote:

Yeah, I'm good at that!
www.MillionMachineMarch.com
did you do that mod? it looks clean. nice. What's the cv going to?

DSC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DSC » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:10 pm

Last edited by Flatscan on Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

skylab001
Common Wiggler

Post by skylab001 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:15 am

I was really interested in the MPC Live and I was planning on buying one ASAP until I was just reading that you are only able to use a single midi channel to control it? So you can’t control a keymap program and a drum program simultaneously from two controllers? If so what’s the point of multiple midi inputs?? Say it’s not true.... or that you can only use it in 44.1 kHz 24bit, even though the promotional material says 44,48,88,96khz??? What studio production tool would only be 44.1khz in 2018? Once again...say it’s not true....I really want this to be the center of my midi/modular gear but those might be deal killers

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:48 pm

Check out the MPC forums.

Marizu
Common Wiggler

Post by Marizu » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:12 am

DSC wrote:
xparis001 wrote:
it's photoshop.
Nope, not photoshop!
I love your mod, DSC. Setting up a small, live rig with an external controller can be a real pain when you are trying to do it in a dark and noisy club environment.
I came a bit of a bit of a cropper once with a BSP because of this.
I'm probably going to build a couple of these for wiring between cases.
Have you seen any issues of interference? Would ethernet cable be better?

DSC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DSC » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:12 am

No interference that I have seen so far. You could use ethernet cable too. It would need to be Cat 7 cable so you could use tie ground of one of the shields. I don't know how else you would transfer the ground signal. In any case you can't run the cable too far as you will start to attenuate your signal.
Last edited by Flatscan on Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

miles_macquarrie
Wiggling with Experience

Post by miles_macquarrie » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:58 am

[video][/video]

Massive update for the MPC X/MPC Live

The arpeggiator and auto sampler are fantastic, they knocked it out of the park here.

Just sampled a morphing wavetable from e352 in less than one minute and now can use it polyphonically. Arp records notes to the grid for editing, etc.

bougie
Common Wiggler

Post by bougie » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:22 pm

yea that new update got me really interested in buying one. the built in synths looks like a lot of fun, wonder if its snappy enough to synthesize drums.

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:34 pm

Holy hell this is great. I was about to start using a slight more complex synth setup live but now I can just use this thing!

chorus7
Yeah that's right

Post by chorus7 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:44 pm

Quick question...

Is it possible to cue mix on the MPC? As in use the headphones to listen to audio Chanels before you mix them into the main outs?

Also have they added an undo function to the looper?

xparis001
Common Wiggler

Post by xparis001 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:09 pm

chorus7 wrote:Quick question...

Is it possible to cue mix on the MPC? As in use the headphones to listen to audio Chanels before you mix them into the main outs?

cue mixing is possible on mpc X by setting the output of the selected track, and your audition to 3/4. you can pan between 1/2 and 3/4 in the headphones. you could do the same thing with live and an external mixer.

when you say undo in the looper, the undo button should work in there.

chorus7
Yeah that's right

Post by chorus7 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:18 pm

xparis001 wrote:
chorus7 wrote:Quick question...

cue mixing is possible on mpc X by setting the output of the selected track, and your audition to 3/4. you can pan between 1/2 and 3/4 in the headphones. you could do the same thing with live and an external mixer.

when you say undo in the looper, the undo button should work in there.
Thanks for the info... So the Live doesn’t have the audition option?

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:37 pm

Any word if they're considering adding more than one MIDI channel for control? I sold mine, but if this became an option I'd snap another one up.

And the autosample feature is an amazing addition. I had been using the version of Redmatica in MainStage, but then I hit a wall on how to convert them to key group samples for the MPC.

Koekepan
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Koekepan » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:51 pm

I'm still carrying a torch for the direct-to-disc recording capability. Given that it hasn't happened yet, I guess a Portastudio is in my future. Not angry about it, just sort of contemplative.

I guess the feature's still in beta?

CF3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by CF3 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:11 am

Sinamsis wrote:Any word if they're considering adding more than one MIDI channel for control? I sold mine, but if this became an option I'd snap another one up.
Been waiting to get one because of this. They add "multitimbral MIDI" and I buy one instantly.

Nice to see they added crossfade looping, that's a big step forward for actual sound design & instrument creation IMO. :party:

miles_macquarrie
Wiggling with Experience

Post by miles_macquarrie » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:16 am

Sinamsis wrote:Any word if they're considering adding more than one MIDI channel for control? I sold mine, but if this became an option I'd snap another one up.

And the autosample feature is an amazing addition. I had been using the version of Redmatica in MainStage, but then I hit a wall on how to convert them to key group samples for the MPC.
Dan from Akai said that midi multitimbrality is coming, not sure if it will be in the next update or when that will be but everyone is pushing hard for this and it really needs to happen.

I use the MPC X as a my main sequencing machine, in conjunction with some eurorack sequencers for more "modular style" sequencing

It is an amazing machine with these updates. Scrolling with cue links in grid edit and all the shortcuts are all fantastic additions.

MATSmile
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MATSmile » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:05 am

MIDI via USB pls

xparis001
Common Wiggler

Post by xparis001 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:30 am

chorus7 wrote:
it can audition, sure, but the headphones only listen to the master, so if you want to audition in headphones, it has to go out the master.

if you have a dj mixer, you can send audition out 3/4, then do it that way if you want to audition without it going out the master.

cbeefheartuk

Post by cbeefheartuk » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:00 am

Thanks for the update.. going to try and do it tomorrow. Fantastic bit of kit - I love mine a lot.

chorus7
Yeah that's right

Post by chorus7 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:16 pm

xparis001 wrote:
chorus7 wrote:
it can audition, sure, but the headphones only listen to the master, so if you want to audition in headphones, it has to go out the master.

if you have a dj mixer, you can send audition out 3/4, then do it that way if you want to audition without it going out the master.
Ok makes sense now... I would prefer to just use the MPC playing live... I’m surprised how few piece have this... Octatrack does and I think the Toraiz does as well but my Deluge doesn’t and it’s getting had to improvise while playing out...

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:01 pm

CF3 wrote:
Been waiting to get one because of this. They add "multitimbral MIDI" and I buy one instantly.

Nice to see they added crossfade looping, that's a big step forward for actual sound design & instrument creation IMO. :party:
Dude I think we both want it for the same reason. Looks like one of these may be in my future. Again. Haha.

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:29 pm

Sinamsis wrote:
CF3 wrote:

Dude I think we both want it for the same reason. Looks like one of these may be in my future. Again. Haha.
I'm confused about this. MIDI is new to me so I'm not aware of what is MIDI limitations vs MPC Live limitation.

Are you saying if you had two synth modules hooked up to the MIDI outs you couldn't control both of them simultaneously?

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:28 pm

hawkfuzz wrote: I'm confused about this. MIDI is new to me so I'm not aware of what is MIDI limitations vs MPC Live limitation.

Are you saying if you had two synth modules hooked up to the MIDI outs you couldn't control both of them simultaneously?
No, it's the opposite. The problem is this... the MPC is viewed as the center of the studio. So it can control a ton of stuff. BUT, it only receives data on one channel. So lets say you have a drum kit loaded, and a multisampled synth on another track. You could only control one. For those of us who really are mainly interested in the MPC as a sampler, rather than a sequencer, this is a major limit. If they add this feature, the combination of a Cirklon and modern MPC will be very powerful.

BTW if you have any issues with MIDI feel free to hit me up. I may have lost your cell haha. Also you should stop by the studio some time. Haha, the MIDI setup is getting pretty intricate with the addition of the Cirklon.

PS if you're thinking about an MPC to use with eurorack, you might look at the ADDAC 221/222. Very powerful combination.

Return to “General Gear”