New Stand-Alone MPC

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Snetch
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Snetch » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:38 pm

Just got one of these. Have not looked at deluge since

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:23 am

chorus7 wrote:
xparis001 wrote:
chorus7 wrote:
Thanks for the info... So the Live doesn’t have the audition option?
it can audition, sure, but the headphones only listen to the master, so if you want to audition in headphones, it has to go out the master.

if you have a dj mixer, you can send audition out 3/4, then do it that way if you want to audition without it going out the master.
Ok makes sense now... I would prefer to just use the MPC playing live... I’m surprised how few piece have this... Octatrack does and I think the Toraiz does as well ...
The Toraiz has that - there are no cue buttons, you have go to the mixer screen, select the track and use an encoder to cue it to the headphones.
Last edited by Panason on Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PLNB
Common Wiggler

Post by PLNB » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:37 pm

Akai just changed the game with these embedded VST’s. The visuals on the synths/fx are great. Great to see portable gear of the world take a leap into the abyss.

chorus7
Yeah that's right

Post by chorus7 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:11 pm

Was told by someone close to Akai that its in the X version under audition but that they "forgot" to add it to the Live and could be done easy enough :bang:

What the? I guess the guy said no one had asked for it so they forgot to do it... I guess no one is perfect but what a bizarre thing to forget...

Panason wrote:
chorus7 wrote:
xparis001 wrote:
chorus7 wrote:
Thanks for the info... So the Live doesn’t have the audition option?
it can audition, sure, but the headphones only listen to the master, so if you want to audition in headphones, it has to go out the master.

if you have a dj mixer, you can send audition out 3/4, then do it that way if you want to audition without it going out the master.
Ok makes sense now... I would prefer to just use the MPC playing live... I’m surprised how few piece have this... Octatrack does and I think the Toraiz does as well ...
The Toraiz has that but infortunately there are no cue buttons on the main mixer interface, you have to go into a little menu to set channels to headphones only so you can't really use it DJ -style without a mixer. :doh:

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:15 pm

Actually I was wrong> i just checked . you can indeed quickly assign any channel on the Toraiz to the headphones from the mixer panel by using an encoder but you fist need to setup the headphones as a cue output from the menu...

chorus7
Yeah that's right

Post by chorus7 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:14 pm

Panason wrote:Actually I was wrong> i just checked . you can indeed quickly assign any channel on the Toraiz to the headphones from the mixer panel by using an encoder but you fist need to setup the headphones as a cue output from the menu...
Never mind I thought you where talking about the MPC... I see now its the Toraiz...

spoor
Common Wiggler

Post by spoor » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:14 pm

Slomen wrote:Got my X yesterday and really impressed so far. I'm going through the MPC X Bible's tutorial which I recommend to anyone who is new to the MPC like myself.
Thanks for the recommendation. I’ve just bought the bible. And its Cyber Monday 50% off.

MATSmile
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MATSmile » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:04 pm

Does anyone have experience with MPC Live (MIDI USB B out) + ES FH-2?

Chevron87
Common Wiggler

Post by Chevron87 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:00 am

I am looking in to getting an MPC60. I used to have one, and the 12 bit converters sound super cool when you clip them for sampling...

Seaweed Sound
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Seaweed Sound » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:42 pm

MATSmile wrote:Does anyone have experience with MPC Live (MIDI USB B out) + ES FH-2?
MPC Live USB ports are presently MIDI In only. No MIDI Out yet.

Moho
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Moho » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:28 am

MATSmile wrote:Does anyone have experience with MPC Live (MIDI USB B out) + ES FH-2?
The USB B is only for tethering to a computer to connect to the MPC software or data transfer no MIDI at the moment

JC14
Common Wiggler

Post by JC14 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:48 am

Does anybody know if the new auto sampler function will also work with the CV / trigger outs on the MPC X, so I can auto sample my modular?

:-)

xparis001
Common Wiggler

Post by xparis001 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:06 pm

JC14 wrote:Does anybody know if the new auto sampler function will also work with the CV / trigger outs on the MPC X, so I can auto sample my modular?

:-)
yes, it can autosample on a CV track. Any track type in fact
Senior Product Manager, Akai Professional

JC14
Common Wiggler

Post by JC14 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:01 am

Great! Thanks.

Fentune
Common Wiggler

Post by Fentune » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:50 am

Snetch wrote:Just got one of these. Have not looked at deluge since
This makes sense to me :lol:

Mind Flayer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Mind Flayer » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:50 pm

I have a question that probably has some simple answer that I'm missing, but it's driving me crazy.

I am trying to use my MPC Live to control some external gear via midi. For example, I have it hooked up to a volca beats. I have been able to get the pads to sound the different drum sounds on the volca when I am in the "Midi Control" section. That's the section that lets you configure the midi (e.g., assign a midi note to a pad).

But when I exit out of the "Midi Control" screen (e.g., when I hit the "Main" button and go to the Main screen), it stops working. I hit the pads, and nothing is being sent to the volca. The sequencer will record my inputs to the pads, but nothing it being transmitted to the volca.

Is there some setting I am overlooking, where maybe the MPC is no longer considering itself in Midi mode? I have the little midi graphic checked under the track section. Help!

EDIT: So, it appears that the pad performance mode is interfering with this. When I exit the midi control screen, it disregards the notes I mapped to each pad, and instead seems to be playing the notes that are programmed in the pad perform section. Trying to figure out if there's a workaround, but based on some other forums it looks like they haven't really implemented this yet, which is somewhat astounding for a Midi Production Center.

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:16 pm

You need to change the banks of the pads. Usually this does it. Also, if you're going to mess with the MIDI Control section you should know what CC controls what in the Volca Beats. The chart is usually found on the manufacturer website.

Most gear seems to be good to go MIDI-wise immediately, so I'd try the banks first before trying anything else.

xparis001
Common Wiggler

Post by xparis001 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:40 pm

you dont want midi control mode for what you're doing. instead, creat a midi program on a track. in program edit, you have access to 128 midi CC#s. to find the notes the volca uses, just change the pad banks until you find them.

midi control mode is for acting as a dumb control surface for a daw, and way more than what you need to just control another midi synth.

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:02 am

that way you are stuck with the obsolete/vintage/original arrangement of (MIDI) notes on the pads

if only we could create (or load) our own (chromatic?) arrangement of pads in a MIDI channel track - STANDALONE

Mind Flayer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Mind Flayer » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:44 am

tiger001 wrote:that way you are stuck with the obsolete/vintage/original arrangement of (MIDI) notes on the pads

if only we could create (or load) our own (chromatic?) arrangement of pads in a MIDI channel track - STANDALONE
Right! That’s what I was trying to do.

It’s a moot point for me. My live is really slow and buggy. The OS is really unstable, so I’m returning it. Maybe I got a bad unit, but I have seen a lot of other complaints about the same issues I’m having. I really love the functionality of this machine, but I cam’t put up woth the bugginess and sluggish touch screen responsiveness.

xparis001
Common Wiggler

Post by xparis001 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:22 am

Mind Flayer wrote:
tiger001 wrote:that way you are stuck with the obsolete/vintage/original arrangement of (MIDI) notes on the pads

It’s a moot point for me. My live is really slow and buggy. The OS is really unstable, so I’m returning it. Maybe I got a bad unit, but I have seen a lot of other complaints about the same issues I’m having. I really love the functionality of this machine, but I cam’t put up woth the bugginess and sluggish touch screen responsiveness.
try reloading v2.3, then going to PREFERENCES / RESET. If you're still having problems, send me a PM with an email or phone and I can have someone reach out to you.

Mind Flayer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Mind Flayer » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:52 pm

xparis001 wrote:
Mind Flayer wrote:

try reloading v2.3, then going to PREFERENCES / RESET. If you're still having problems, send me a PM with an email or phone and I can have someone reach out to you.
Thanks Dan, I appreciate your help, but I've already returned it. I'm looking into an older model, either a 2000xl or the 2500. Part of it is I like old style buttons as opposed to doing so much with a touch screen. The MPC Live is super deep, but probably more than I really need at this point.

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:26 pm

Past week's set ups in Berlin and Zurich. Some people might recognize the venue at the top pic...strange to see with lights :)

Its been fine for the most part, but I am beginning to get irritated with the random transient fades that happen when unmuting pads. I haven't found a way to reproduce them constantly so I can figure out why it happens..they just happen at random.
I am on v2.1. I am not keen on updating unless it definitely takes care of the problem.

1040df
Common Wiggler

Post by 1040df » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:02 pm

Have a mpc live. Great device, really like it a lot. However dealing with customer support is awful. Either immediately send you a unhelpful canned response and close your case or flat out refuse to respond.

miles_macquarrie
Wiggling with Experience

Post by miles_macquarrie » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:06 am

nectarios wrote:Past week's set ups in Berlin and Zurich. Some people might recognize the venue at the top pic...strange to see with lights :)

Its been fine for the most part, but I am beginning to get irritated with the random transient fades that happen when unmuting pads. I haven't found a way to reproduce them constantly so I can figure out why it happens..they just happen at random.
I am on v2.1. I am not keen on updating unless it definitely takes care of the problem.

That's cool. Are you using the mpc as your main sequencer for live shows?Interested in how you incorporate the modular into multiple tracks throughout your shows as well.

Will you still not upgrade to 2.4 to get that list of excellent new effects?

Return to “General Gear”