Jomox ALPHA BASE

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Jomox ALPHA BASE

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:48 am

Tomorrow Sounds Good wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:34 am
Not even fully read the manual yet and this thing is seriously grooving! I not sure I understand people’s complaints about the UI , it’s very straightforward to use
i don’t think its hard to get up and running or navigate too much but i personally think the UI leaves a lot to be desired still, especially given its high price tag. but I guess when it comes to
jomox you’re paying for the sound.
TOO FAR GONE

Tomorrow Sounds Good
Common Wiggler

Post by Tomorrow Sounds Good » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:21 am

Red Electric Rainbow wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:48 am
Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:34 am
Not even fully read the manual yet and this thing is seriously grooving! I not sure I understand people’s complaints about the UI , it’s very straightforward to use
i don’t think its hard to get up and running or navigate too much but i personally think the UI leaves a lot to be desired still, especially given its high price tag. but I guess when it comes to
jomox you’re paying for the sound.
I think maybe Elektron users struggle with it as they’re used to a different workflow perhaps ?

What UI problems have you encountered?

My only other drum machine is a 707 so it’s a massive upgrade for me

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:50 am

Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:21 am
I think maybe Elektron users struggle with it as they’re used to a different workflow perhaps ?

707 was my first drum machine too. Still a favorite. The UI is just a little clunky to me. The menu is pretty dated and not very streamlined. the instrument parameter matrix is nice but it would’ve been nice if they labeled the instruments as well for quick mutes. the knobs are numbered but the instrument buttons aren’t. just not streamlined.
TOO FAR GONE

Tomorrow Sounds Good
Common Wiggler

Post by Tomorrow Sounds Good » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:39 am

Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:50 am
Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:21 am

707 was my first drum machine too. Still a favorite. The UI is just a little clunky to me. The menu is pretty dated and not very streamlined. the instrument parameter matrix is nice but it would’ve been nice if they labeled the instruments as well for quick mutes. the knobs are numbered but the instrument buttons aren’t. just not streamlined.

Ah yeah see what you’re saying . I guess I’ll just get used to it as I’m never selling this one !

Tomorrow Sounds Good
Common Wiggler

Post by Tomorrow Sounds Good » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:39 am

Has anyone sequenced this via midi on the Five12 Vector?

Kazremark
Common Wiggler

Post by Kazremark » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:40 am

Love mine, but wish that the parameter automation in the sequencer was less terrible to use 😂 The only features I wish it had that it doesn’t are offsets to push steps forward/back in small increments. Step probability would be cool too. If he made parameter automation easier, and added those two features I would have zero requests. Everything else is fine, and the sound more than makes up for those small complaints.

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:26 am

probability would be nice. i dont really care for offsets even though I would welcome the feature. ive been using my tr8s to sequence it and im happy with those results. its easy to bang out like that.
TOO FAR GONE

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:28 am

Kazremark wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:40 am
Love mine, but wish that the parameter automation in the sequencer was less terrible to use 😂 The only features I wish it had that it doesn’t are offsets to push steps forward/back in small increments. Step probability would be cool too. If he made parameter automation easier, and added those two features I would have zero requests. Everything else is fine, and the sound more than makes up for those small complaints.
i would love both of these features

ghostofpast
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ghostofpast » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:22 pm

I sequence externally, so the main request I have is for an open and closed hi-hat choke group. When I asked Juergen, he said “we’ll see”, so maybe if he gets enough requests, he will add it. It would also be great to have better sample management, with names and instrument groups.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:24 am

ghostofpast wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:22 pm
I sequence externally, so the main request I have is for an open and closed hi-hat choke group. When I asked Juergen, he said “we’ll see”, so maybe if he gets enough requests, he will add it. It would also be great to have better sample management, with names and instrument groups.
I dunno, that sounds like a "no".

dadek
hrrmmm...

Post by dadek » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:13 am

Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:26 am
ive been using my tr8s to sequence it and im happy with those results. its easy to bang out like that.
This is how I have mine set up at the moment too. Would love to be able to use it to sequence itself though. ;)
Just can’t live without that sound once you hear it. Nothing holds a candle.

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:22 am

dadek wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:13 am
ive been using my tr8s to sequence it and im happy with those results. its easy to bang out like that.
This is how I have mine set up at the moment too. Would love to be able to use it to sequence itself though. ;)
its an annoyingly quirky box. the sound is really tough to walk away from. mine has an issue so im going to send it back for another one. when im using the individual instrument outputs the sounds bleed a little bit into the right master output. for what the unit costed that’s unacceptable. if my next unit has an issue i may just opt for the mbase 11 or a used 09. realistically, i have enough drum machines that play samples already. i say this with a heavy heart though.
TOO FAR GONE

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:40 pm

Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:22 am
dadek wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:13 am
its an annoyingly quirky box. the sound is really tough to walk away from. mine has an issue so im going to send it back for another one. when im using the individual instrument outputs the sounds bleed a little bit into the right master output. for what the unit costed that’s unacceptable. if my next unit has an issue i may just opt for the mbase 11 or a used 09. realistically, i have enough drum machines that play samples already. i say this with a heavy heart though.
i dont use the stereo out anymore, but once i solved this by going to the panning page and adjusting the panning of those respective bleeding sounds (for me it was mainly kick and snare i think) from 64 to 63 even if the sound is muted. Assuming youre using the individual outs for those particular sounds then that shouldn't affect them. i know that seems weird but i remember doing that at least once so could be worth a shot

m0rb1d
Filtersweep Abuser

Post by m0rb1d » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:56 pm

For what it’s worth I don’t think I’ve ever had any bleed into the stereo outputs. My screen just did get noticeably dimmer, I’m assuming it’s the power supply though. Everyone on the Facebook group has trashed the one that comes with the unit, wish Jomox would return my emails though...

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:20 pm

m0rb1d wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:56 pm
For what it’s worth I don’t think I’ve ever had any bleed into the stereo outputs. My screen just did get noticeably dimmer, I’m assuming it’s the power supply though. Everyone on the Facebook group has trashed the one that comes with the unit, wish Jomox would return my emails though...
i think someone mentions the power supply in one the gearslutz threads (or maybe even the FB group puke) and shares a link to a possible solution.
TOO FAR GONE

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:23 pm

damase wrote: i dont use the stereo out anymore, but once i solved this by going to the panning page and adjusting the panning of those respective bleeding sounds (for me it was mainly kick and snare i think) from 64 to 63 even if the sound is muted. Assuming youre using the individual outs for those particular sounds then that shouldn't affect them. i know that seems weird but i remember doing that at least once so could be worth a shot
its very weird. i might try to reroute it in my signal chain out of curiosity. its super annoying. if you don’t use the stereo outputs you lose three instruments.
TOO FAR GONE

Tomorrow Sounds Good
Common Wiggler

Post by Tomorrow Sounds Good » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:11 am

Having read the manual I’m quite confident using this beast now .

I’m wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks not mentioned in the manual ?

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:25 pm

Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:11 am
use it for every kick from now on.
TOO FAR GONE

Tomorrow Sounds Good
Common Wiggler

Post by Tomorrow Sounds Good » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:35 pm

Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:25 pm
Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:11 am
use it for every kick from now on.

Already on it Sir! 😂

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:03 pm

Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:23 pm

its very weird. i might try to reroute it in my signal chain out of curiosity. its super annoying. if you don’t use the stereo outputs you lose three instruments.
yea i never got the most use of the digital channels, they just sound flat compared to the analog channels with vcas, and having no individual out for them makes it a huge headache. i do miss the FM synth though, a lack of studio inputs has it too much a hassle at the moment for me, and i find i mostly can make my music with the first 8 channels anyway

nikarga
Wiggling with Experience

Post by nikarga » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:54 pm

Another AB + cirklon user here. Its absolute killer combo.
I only sequence from the Cirklon bec my studio is set up to be ready to go that way.
Having each instrument on its own P3 track gives you enormous flexibility for pitch notation, randomisation, polyrhythms etc.. its an absolute monster. Jomox sound meets elektron sequencer on steroids..

Or you can always create a CK track for more basic shananegans
Live for gear...

miroslav
Learning to Wiggle

Post by miroslav » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:25 am

nikarga wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:54 pm
I only sequence from the Cirklon bec my studio is set up to be ready to go that way.
Having each instrument on its own P3 track gives you enormous flexibility for pitch notation, randomisation, polyrhythms etc.. its an absolute monster. Jomox sound meets elektron sequencer on steroids..

Or you can always create a CK track for more basic shananegans
How do you program change change Alpha Base from Cirklon? I have all AB sounds on different Cirklon tracks, so I'm not sure how to change a kit. Do I need to prgm change all the tracks?
Also, is there a way to reroute audio outs on AB? It would be much better if there were audio outs with a possibility to assign any sound to any out.
And the last, how do you like channel muting? I think it's the worst decision ever. I played live and f****ed up pitches and other settings multiple times because it's so easy to turn the encoders when muting.

chiasticon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by chiasticon » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:21 am

nikarga wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:54 pm
yeah... I've actually been toying with the idea of getting the 888 again. I **love** the lo-fi samples and the analog drum sounds in it but despise the absolute garbage sequencer and OS. but now that I've got a Cirklon... :hmm:

nikarga
Wiggling with Experience

Post by nikarga » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:22 am

miroslav wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:25 am
How do you program change change Alpha Base from Cirklon? I have all AB sounds on different Cirklon tracks, so I'm not sure how to change a kit. Do I need to prgm change all the tracks?
I dont use program change myself but in the manual it says the AB listens on Ch15 for that. Presumably on the Cirklon you've already created a multi timbral instrument with channels 1-11 or whatever. Create 1 additional track and set it to M15 (AB as the instrument of that track and then just select midi channel 15). Create a new P3 pattern and input some steps. Hit go on the sequencer and you should see program change every time you go over those steps.

i believe 1-11 is instrument tracks, 12 is pattern change and 15 is kit/prog change. Finally the AB listens on all tracks on M channel 16.
miroslav wrote:
Also, is there a way to reroute audio outs on AB? It would be much better if there were audio outs with a possibility to assign any sound to any out.
And the last, how do you like channel muting? I think it's the worst decision ever. I played live and f****ed up pitches and other settings multiple times because it's so easy to turn the encoders when muting.
No way to re-route audio i dont think. i mute from the cirklon so dont press them down on the unit itself to mute - i can see how that can be frustrating. easiest thing to do in that instance is just select a different track on the jomox and THEN mute the kick..
Live for gear...

miroslav
Learning to Wiggle

Post by miroslav » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:16 am

nikarga wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:22 am
miroslav wrote:
I dont use program change myself but in the manual it says the AB listens on Ch15 for that. Presumably on the Cirklon you've already created a multi timbral instrument with channels 1-11 or whatever. Create 1 additional track and set it to M15 (AB as the instrument of that track and then just select midi channel 15). Create a new P3 pattern and input some steps. Hit go on the sequencer and you should see program change every time you go over those steps.

i believe 1-11 is instrument tracks, 12 is pattern change and 15 is kit/prog change. Finally the AB listens on all tracks on M channel 16.
miroslav wrote:
No way to re-route audio i dont think. i mute from the cirklon so dont press them down on the unit itself to mute - i can see how that can be frustrating. easiest thing to do in that instance is just select a different track on the jomox and THEN mute the kick..
Thank you very much. You helped me a lot!

Return to “General Gear”