Jomox ALPHA BASE

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Tomorrow Sounds Good
Common Wiggler

Re: Jomox ALPHA BASE

Post by Tomorrow Sounds Good » Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:24 am

Anyone using Novation SL MK3 to sequence AB?

paranormind
Common Wiggler

Post by paranormind » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:53 am

damase wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:40 pm
Red Electric Rainbow wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:22 am
dadek wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:13 am
Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:26 am
ive been using my tr8s to sequence it and im happy with those results. its easy to bang out like that.
This is how I have mine set up at the moment too. Would love to be able to use it to sequence itself though. ;)
Just can’t live without that sound once you hear it. Nothing holds a candle.
its an annoyingly quirky box. the sound is really tough to walk away from. mine has an issue so im going to send it back for another one. when im using the individual instrument outputs the sounds bleed a little bit into the right master output. for what the unit costed that’s unacceptable. if my next unit has an issue i may just opt for the mbase 11 or a used 09. realistically, i have enough drum machines that play samples already. i say this with a heavy heart though.
i dont use the stereo out anymore, but once i solved this by going to the panning page and adjusting the panning of those respective bleeding sounds (for me it was mainly kick and snare i think) from 64 to 63 even if the sound is muted. Assuming youre using the individual outs for those particular sounds then that shouldn't affect them. i know that seems weird but i remember doing that at least once so could be worth a shot
I had that bleeding issue, as well as some other annoying bugs (couldn't load anything from the SD card, thus I couldn't even update the firmware). I had to return it to get it repaired. I must confess that I've got a good support from Jomox/Jurgen but yeah I still think it's hardly acceptable nonetheless (and cannot buy the justification I've been given "it's complicated blah blah blah you cannot understand blah blah)

unknownartist
Common Wiggler

Post by unknownartist » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:33 pm

Damn these quirks are so frustrating to read about. I'm in the midst of cancelling an order of one of these... I dislike me a quirky drum machine to say the least and have returned a couple as a result -- MFB Drum Machines have atrocious interfaces and noise issues and no stereo out on the lower end models. The knobs and buttons on the Elektron Model Samples are designed for the hulk (disgusting), or to limit users from doing interesting and expressive things, and no individual outs... etc.

The Alpha Base is on another level sound quality wise. I wish Jurgen would hire two people -- someone to help design the pcbs to flesh out these quirks so Jurgen could focus on synthesis to a greater degree. Clearly has a good set of ears, and good taste. And two someone to design the interaction and interface -- simple stuff like the input gain knob should be above the stereo input jacks and next to the mix output... put the phones knob elsewhere or left of those two. The knobs also look perhaps too flimsy/loose which would be frustrating on such an expensive devise.
Last edited by unknownartist on Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oscilloscope
Common Wiggler

Post by oscilloscope » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:46 am

unknownartist wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:33 pm
MFB Drum Machines have atrocious interfaces and noise issues and no stereo out on the lower end models.
Addendum:
this is your personal experience with, or opinion of MFB Drum Machines ....

unknownartist
Common Wiggler

Post by unknownartist » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:23 am

Both?

aaronlevin
Learning to Wiggle

Post by aaronlevin » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:45 pm

I started sequencing my alpha base with a cirklon and it’s like a whole new world. I’m kinda wishing there was an option for all the voices but without the alpha base sequencer (could save on space or maybe add more knobs).

chiasticon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by chiasticon » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:46 pm

aaronlevin wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:45 pm
I started sequencing my alpha base with a cirklon and it’s like a whole new world. I’m kinda wishing there was an option for all the voices but without the alpha base sequencer (could save on space or maybe add more knobs).
can you elaborate? are you just triggering the instruments from the Cirklon and editing via the AB or did you create CC assignments for each instrument and are editing via Cirklon? is it just better because you dislike the AB's OS or what's the scoop?

I ask because now that I have a Cirklon, I have considered getting a Jomox box again (love the 888 and 999 lo-fi samples) but have always just fought their terrible OS (AB may be better, I don't know).

also, here's a video of Benjamin Damage rocking an Alpha Base and Cirklon (though he barely touches the AB) for good measure:

oscilloscope
Common Wiggler

Post by oscilloscope » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:27 pm

unknownartist wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:23 am
Both?
Regretfully this sort of belated "disclosure" was omitted in your initial statement: "MFB Drum Machines have atrocious interfaces and noise issues and no stereo out on the lower end models."

Crapping on gear is fine but a "IMPO" or "IMHO" is common courtesy (and shall we say ? ....honesty).

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:25 pm

oscilloscope wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:27 pm
unknownartist wrote:
Both?
Regretfully this sort of belated "disclosure" was omitted in your initial statement: "MFB Drum Machines have atrocious interfaces and noise issues and no stereo out on the lower end models."

Crapping on gear is fine but a "IMPO" or "IMHO" is common courtesy (and shall we say ? ....honesty).
someone’s a cop jk
TOO FAR GONE

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:32 pm

unknownartist wrote:
Damn these quirks are so frustrating to read about. I'm in the midst of cancelling an order of one of these... I dislike me a quirky drum machine to say the least and have returned a couple as a result -- MFB Drum Machines have atrocious interfaces and noise issues and no stereo out on the lower end models. The knobs and buttons on the Elektron Model Samples are designed for the hulk (disgusting), or to limit users from doing interesting and expressive things, and no individual outs... etc.

The Alpha Base is on another level sound quality wise. I wish Jurgen would hire two people -- someone to help design the pcbs to flesh out these quirks so Jurgen could focus on synthesis to a greater degree. Clearly has a good set of ears, and good taste. And two someone to design the interaction and interface -- simple stuff like the input gain knob should be above the stereo input jacks and next to the mix output... put the phones knob elsewhere or left of those two. The knobs also look perhaps too flimsy/loose which would be frustrating on such an expensive devise.
i had the alpha base and literally hated its OS, interface, annoying sample rate for importing, and built-in sequencer. one of my biggest pet peeves are having to sequence drum machines with other drum machines and that was exactly the case here. my unit also suffered from build quality issues that didn’t leave a good taste in my mouth.

you can’t argue with the sound. that kick is top notch. i really think jomox would benefit from collaborating with another manufacturer.
TOO FAR GONE

Tomorrow Sounds Good
Common Wiggler

Post by Tomorrow Sounds Good » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:18 pm

chiasticon wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:46 pm
aaronlevin wrote:
can you elaborate? are you just triggering the instruments from the Cirklon and editing via the AB or did you create CC assignments for each instrument and are editing via Cirklon? is it just better because you dislike the AB's OS or what's the scoop?

I ask because now that I have a Cirklon, I have considered getting a Jomox box again (love the 888 and 999 lo-fi samples) but have always just fought their terrible OS (AB may be better, I don't know).

also, here's a video of Benjamin Damage rocking an Alpha Base and Cirklon (though he barely touches the AB) for good measure:

Yo!! Thanks for posting , that video is dope

chiasticon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by chiasticon » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:48 pm

Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:32 pm
you can’t argue with the sound. that kick is top notch. i really think jomox would benefit from collaborating with another manufacturer.
amen, brother! you and 90% of all Jomox customers have been saying (or at least thinking) this for almost 30 years...

nangu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nangu » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:34 am

A Jomox / Gotharman collaboration could be the best thing ever.

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:35 am

nangu wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:34 am

id rather see jomox collaborate with elektron or cirklon.
TOO FAR GONE

Angroc
Common Wiggler

Post by Angroc » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:03 am

Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:32 pm
unknownartist wrote:

i had the alpha base and literally hated its OS, interface, annoying sample rate for importing, and built-in sequencer. one of my biggest pet peeves are having to sequence drum machines with other drum machines and that was exactly the case here. my unit also suffered from build quality issues that didn’t leave a good taste in my mouth.

I am very happy with the AirBase99 for the reasons you mention (and honestly programming directly on the AirBase is just fine IMO). Best of both worlds and space efficient for my rack. Kick engine might be a couple generations older, but it's still that thumpin Jomox sound. And analog snare! That said, if Jomox made a soundmodule version of the AB, I'd be ALL over that! But for now I really agree I have no patience for taking up valuable studio space, when I don't need its sequencing options.
Last edited by Angroc on Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

nangu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nangu » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:05 am

Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:35 am
nangu wrote:

Either of those would be super cool, but Gotharman also makes killer sequencers. Plus the craziest digital effects I’ve ever seen. He also has the best customer support of all time.

If you suggest a feature, Flemming might agree that it’s a good feature. And roll it into an update that comes out next week. Not 2 years from now..

toumpouris
Common Wiggler

Post by toumpouris » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:33 am

paranormind wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:53 am
damase wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:40 pm
Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:22 am
dadek wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:13 am
Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:26 am
ive been using my tr8s to sequence it and im happy with those results. its easy to bang out like that.
This is how I have mine set up at the moment too. Would love to be able to use it to sequence itself though. ;)
Just can’t live without that sound once you hear it. Nothing holds a candle.
its an annoyingly quirky box. the sound is really tough to walk away from. mine has an issue so im going to send it back for another one. when im using the individual instrument outputs the sounds bleed a little bit into the right master output. for what the unit costed that’s unacceptable. if my next unit has an issue i may just opt for the mbase 11 or a used 09. realistically, i have enough drum machines that play samples already. i say this with a heavy heart though.
i dont use the stereo out anymore, but once i solved this by going to the panning page and adjusting the panning of those respective bleeding sounds (for me it was mainly kick and snare i think) from 64 to 63 even if the sound is muted. Assuming youre using the individual outs for those particular sounds then that shouldn't affect them. i know that seems weird but i remember doing that at least once so could be worth a shot
I had that bleeding issue, as well as some other annoying bugs (couldn't load anything from the SD card, thus I couldn't even update the firmware). I had to return it to get it repaired. I must confess that I've got a good support from Jomox/Jurgen but yeah I still think it's hardly acceptable nonetheless (and cannot buy the justification I've been given "it's complicated blah blah blah you cannot understand blah blah)
Hi, I have the bleed issue since bought. Did you sent it back for repair and the issue was fixed?
Thanks

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:18 am

toumpouris wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:33 am
Hi, I have the bleed issue since bought. Did you sent it back for repair and the issue was fixed?
Thanks
i reached out to jomox but never heard back. i sent mine back to the distributor for a full refund and haven’t looked back.
TOO FAR GONE

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:23 am

nangu wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:05 am
Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:35 am
nangu wrote:

Either of those would be super cool, but Gotharman also makes killer sequencers. Plus the craziest digital effects I’ve ever seen. He also has the best customer support of all time.

If you suggest a feature, Flemming might agree that it’s a good feature. And roll it into an update that comes out next week. Not 2 years from now..
damn i’ve never used gotharman stuff before. ive only heard really good things though. like someone who took too much acid also took too much dmt then decided to build electronic instruments for people who take too much acid and do too much dmt.
TOO FAR GONE

aaronlevin
Learning to Wiggle

Post by aaronlevin » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:40 pm

chiasticon wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:46 pm
aaronlevin wrote:

I do a bit of both. Majority of it is on the Cirklon, though. I really can't deal with the JoMoX sequencing interface. IU don't mind the interface for editing particular sounds. And if you're controlling everything externally then it's easier to switch between instruments without accidentally adding a step or changing tracks.

For example, you can put the low-pass filters into resonance mode and then from the cirklon write melodies by changing the cutoff frequency per-step. This gives some nice sounds (especially if you mess with the envelopes a little) and would be very annoying to do on the JoMoX (it's possible to edit per step on the JoMoX but you can only do it for a single parameter and the UX is confusing).

paranormind
Common Wiggler

Post by paranormind » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:02 pm

Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:18 am
toumpouris wrote:
Thanks
i reached out to jomox but never heard back. i sent mine back to the distributor for a full refund and haven’t looked back.
In my case I returned it to the shop, they looked at but they had to return it to Jomox, I believe; so they handled everything for me :hail:

Thirolls
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Thirolls » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:24 am

paranormind wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:02 pm
toumpouris wrote:
Thanks
In my case I returned it to the shop, they looked at but they had to return it to Jomox, I believe; so they handled everything for me :hail:
Hi!
The bleeding problem on the master out has been fixed on your unit after repair by Jomox ?

Seems impossible to me, as this issue affects all units including Xbase.

Can you confirm to me that you no longer hear any bleeding on the master, or the residual effect of individual tracks on the master? :hail:

paranormind
Common Wiggler

Post by paranormind » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:49 am

Thirolls wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:24 am
paranormind wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:02 pm
toumpouris wrote:
Thanks
Hi!
The bleeding problem on the master out has been fixed on your unit after repair by Jomox ?

Seems impossible to me, as this issue affects all units including Xbase.

Can you confirm to me that you no longer hear any bleeding on the master, or the residual effect of individual tracks on the master? :hail:

I eventually sold my AB so unfortunately I cannot confirm right now, but I can testify the bleeding was gone when the unit came back.

To provide more details, the bleeding I was experiencing was quite strong. I had all the individual outs plugged to my soundcard and I could clearly hear sounds overlapping across some channels+master. When the unit came back, I haven't done some rigorous testing, so perhaps there was still a barely audible leak at say -100dB, but at least that wasn't audible to me.

Hansi026
Common Wiggler

Post by Hansi026 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:07 am

minimalist
Common Wiggler

Post by minimalist » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:38 am

oscilloscope wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:27 pm
unknownartist wrote:
Both?

Everything written on an internet forum (or even a professional review in a magazine or on YouTube) is personal opinion so no need to constantly state this, just to prevent someone getting upset because someone else "craps" on gear they like. Those who are so sensitive to contrary opinions really shouldn't be on the internet. :roll:

Return to “General Gear”