Jomox ALPHA BASE

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Re:

Post by Voltcontrol » Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:58 am

ignatius wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:40 pm
Xmit wrote:Mmm. Very interested. My Analog RYTM has a worried look at the moment ...
the work flows will be drastically different between jomox/elektron products
Hmmmm, a collaboration drum machine between Jomox and Elektron. That would be something very tasty indeed.
Gaun Yersel!

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Re:

Post by Kattefjaes » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:23 am

Voltcontrol wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:58 am
ignatius wrote:
Xmit wrote:Mmm. Very interested. My Analog RYTM has a worried look at the moment ...
Hmmmm, a collaboration drum machine between Jomox and Elektron. That would be something very tasty indeed.
Just as long as it was Jomox kick sound and Elektron OS/sequencer, and not the other way around :hihi:

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:27 am

Kattefjaes wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:23 am
Voltcontrol wrote:
ignatius wrote:
Just as long as it was Jomox kick sound and Elektron OS/sequencer, and not the other way around :hihi:
:roll: :mrgreen:
Gaun Yersel!

tony d
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Jomox ALPHA BASE

Post by tony d » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:53 pm

Well my issue of the glitches ended up being on the hardware.
I’ve sent it back to exchange.

Does anyone know if it’s possible to save data such as kit and bpm with patterns?

Thirolls
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Thirolls » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:12 am

tony d wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:53 pm
Well my issue of the glitches ended up being on the hardware.
I’ve sent it back to exchange.

Does anyone know if it’s possible to save data such as kit and bpm with patterns?
Kits and patterns are saved separately in the Alpha Base RAM. A small notebook or a note on your phone will do the job just as well ;)

minimalist
Common Wiggler

Post by minimalist » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:15 am

Voltcontrol wrote:
ignatius wrote:
I think Cirklon and Alphabase would be the killer combo. For me, the Jomox Airbase 99 with Cirklon is the best "drum machine" I have used. If there was a rack mount Alphabase with the same midi implemenation as the Airbase for under €1,000, I think it would do well.

tony d
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tony d » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:57 pm

Thank you Thirolls!

aaronlevin
Learning to Wiggle

Post by aaronlevin » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:02 am

minimalist wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:15 am
Voltcontrol wrote:
ignatius wrote:
I think Cirklon and Alphabase would be the killer combo. For me, the Jomox Airbase 99 with Cirklon is the best "drum machine" I have used. If there was a rack mount Alphabase with the same midi implemenation as the Airbase for under €1,000, I think it would do well.
Put of curiosity, how does the airbase MIDI implementation differ from the Alpha Base?

Context: I control my Alpha Base using a Cirklon and hasn’t felt any limitations, but am curious what I’m not thinking about.

minimalist
Common Wiggler

Post by minimalist » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:09 am

aaronlevin wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:02 am
minimalist wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:15 am
Voltcontrol wrote:
ignatius wrote:
Put of curiosity, how does the airbase MIDI implementation differ from the Alpha Base?

Context: I control my Alpha Base using a Cirklon and hasn’t felt any limitations, but am curious what I’m not thinking about.
I haven't used Alpha Base and don't know if there is much of a difference in the midi-spec. I assume they are comprehensively similar and therefore there are (almost) no limitations. I would just prefer a 1U rackmount version with a reduced price, just like the Airbase. For me, Jomox & Cirklon is a match made in heaven.

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:46 pm

Those of you who have played a liveset with the AB, how do you go about it ?
Jam for the whole thing on one kit/pattern ?
Have a few different kits and patterns + tweak a few parameters ?
Fullly organized song mode ?

This would be for a techno set, so not requiring IDM levels of drum programming complexity.
So far I've done ok jamming for 30min on one pattern and tweaking it as I go but that was in the comfort of my studio so I'd need something a bit more secure for live set conditions and was wondering how you guys go about it.
instagram
dc11- immersion 4 tracks ep of modular deep techno

Eurtrude
Common Wiggler

Post by Eurtrude » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:11 am

Tumulishroomaroom wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:46 pm
Those of you who have played a liveset with the AB, how do you go about it ?
Jam for the whole thing on one kit/pattern ?
Have a few different kits and patterns + tweak a few parameters ?
Fullly organized song mode ?

This would be for a techno set, so not requiring IDM levels of drum programming complexity.
So far I've done ok jamming for 30min on one pattern and tweaking it as I go but that was in the comfort of my studio so I'd need something a bit more secure for live set conditions and was wondering how you guys go about it.
Hey !

One kit / pattern will be a bit redundant for the audience and I find it a bit risky to recreate a kick from scratch on the alphabase during a performance or to browse your sample pool until finding one you like (since it's just numbers on the alphabase screen, unless you know all your samples by heart).

The song mode option is not really great for a live since the kits are not linked to the patterns. Let's say to composed the pattern 1 with kit 1 and pattern 2 with kit 2, moving to pattern 2 in song mode will have the kit 1 still playing (as far as I know).

So, from my experience (2 gigs using the alphabase), the best option IMHO is having differents kits already prepared for the live.
For the patterns, I think you should only programm basic templates and fill them while improvising live, to match the sequences you are programming on the modular, etc.

For exemple, for my last gig, I prepared 4 patterns (32 steps each), each one with :
- 1 kick line
- 1 CHH line
- 1 OHH line
- 1 ride line

Then while performing, i was just choosing a template pattern, a kit, and fill the rest.

I don't know if I made myself very clear (je suis vraiment nul en anglais... :( ).

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:59 pm

Thanks a lot for the detailed answer, seems like the best solution indeed.
instagram
dc11- immersion 4 tracks ep of modular deep techno

Return to “General Gear”