new Malekko Grooveboxes!

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

Licudi
Veteran Wiggler

Re: new Malekko Grooveboxes!

Post by Licudi » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:21 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:05 pm
These are innovative new products. Will always be a market for that. Really hope they release the wavtable one eventually :/
I hope so too, but almost every video comments or forum thread contains someone saying, 'Nah, I’ll wait until Behringer does it for US$200'. It's the new market paradigm like it or not.

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:02 pm

Licudi wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:21 pm
Sir Ruff wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:05 pm
These are innovative new products. Will always be a market for that. Really hope they release the wavtable one eventually :/
I hope so too, but almost every video comments or forum thread contains someone saying, 'Nah, I’ll wait until Behringer does it for US$200'. It's the new market paradigm like it or not.
Any yahoo who says that probably never had any intention of buying said product in the first place. Those are people who speak through the internet, not through their wallet. B are clearly going after big well known vintage products--those making interesting new products should be fine.

Voltcontrol
Common Wiggler

Post by Voltcontrol » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:29 pm

I am still hoping that the drum machine will happen. My theory would be that the Manther did not sell to well which in return makes them hesitant (from a 'business case or if things are more serious perhaps even balance sheet pov) to continue with this form factor. As an outsider it looks like they've done and are doing very well in Euro. I'd pitch the idea of following the approach that Pittsburgh took with the Voltage Research Lab. So: Release a drum euro module and wavetable module but also offer them as standalone system, combined with existing modules (or potentially new separate sequencing/control/utility modules). This approach creates good flow between people buying standalone and euro category wise and also keeps production simpler.

Licudi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Licudi » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:53 am

Sir Ruff wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:02 pm
B are clearly going after big well known vintage products--those making interesting new products should be fine.
How does that explain the Crave's similarity to the Mother-32?

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:15 am

Licudi wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:53 am
Sir Ruff wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:02 pm
B are clearly going after big well known vintage products--those making interesting new products should be fine.
How does that explain the Crave's similarity to the Mother-32?
You’re right, they are also targeting these smaller new products. But also, this is Moog we are talking about. Perhaps naively, I don’t see Malekko’s products as being as much on their radar.

Licudi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Licudi » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:29 pm

Voltcontrol wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:29 pm
My theory would be that the Manther did not sell to well which in return makes them hesitant (from a 'business case or if things are more serious perhaps even balance sheet pov) to continue with this form factor.
You could be right. The Manther had one of the most difficult launches of recent times, perhaps only rivalled by the Medusa. Polyend has made a better fist of rescuing its creation, I'd say. Enough for me to buy one albeit after a hefty price-cut.
Voltcontrol wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:29 pm
As an outsider it looks like they've done and are doing very well in Euro. I'd pitch the idea of following the approach that Pittsburgh took with the Voltage Research Lab. So: Release a drum euro module and wavetable module but also offer them as standalone system, combined with existing modules (or potentially new separate sequencing/control/utility modules). This approach creates good flow between people buying standalone and euro category wise and also keeps production simpler.
An interesting idea but it would change the original price-point completely. I've a liking for self-contained systems, but many might consider them the antithesis of Eurorack. Perhaps your suggestion would satisfy both camps.

kcearl
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kcearl » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:35 pm

Just dusted off my manther to use with and akai force...the cv is next to useless but overall its still a great sounding little box

Licudi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Licudi » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:07 pm

kcearl wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:35 pm
the cv is next to useless
Hmmm. CV would be my main interest. What's the problem?

kcearl
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kcearl » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:28 pm

Licudi wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:07 pm
kcearl wrote:
I just cant keep it in tune

You have to remove cv on start up to initially tune but then it was just all over the place anyway

Im on the latest firmware but I cant remember it being an issue with the BSP on earlier firmware. Let me check just in case its an akai issue

kay_k
Veteran Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:56 pm

kcearl wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:28 pm
Licudi wrote:
kcearl wrote:

You have to remove cv on start up to initially tune but then it was just all over the place anyway

Im on the latest firmware but I cant remember it being an issue with the BSP on earlier firmware. Let me check just in case its an akai issue
What I do is: I switch Manther on, wait a while and power cycle it again so it can re-tune after being warm.
My understanding was that you can switch off VCO calibration when you use CV form external sources.

Licudi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Licudi » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:41 pm

Sounds like more unacceptable behaviour to me. Mind you, I thought that about Malekko's range switch on the Roland 510 but some don't seem to mind.

kcearl
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kcearl » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:15 pm

kay_k wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:56 pm
kcearl wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:28 pm
Licudi wrote:
kcearl wrote:

What I do is: I switch Manther on, wait a while and power cycle it again so it can re-tune after being warm.
My understanding was that you can switch off VCO calibration when you use CV form external sources.
yeah that might work...I just ended up using midi then theres no issue at all :tu:

Return to “General Gear”