new Malekko Grooveboxes!

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

enlovoz
Learning to Wiggle

Post by enlovoz » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:43 am

I did not know about the lost of all the features of the Manther's sequencer if you sequence it via CV. Is it the same via midi ?

kay_k
Ultra Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:00 am

enlovoz wrote:I did not know about the lost of all the features of the Manther's sequencer if you sequence it via CV. Is it the same via midi ?
if you don't use the internal sequencer, you don't use the internal sequencer...

I don't know if accent is routed to midi velocity, but forget about parameter automation: the manual says
"MIDI INPUT: Receives MIDI clock. CC messages are planned for a software future release."

I don't mind that .. I've got that thing for its sequencer too

enlovoz
Learning to Wiggle

Post by enlovoz » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:24 am

I get that the Manther does not respond to CCs yet, but when you sequence it via MIDI, the internal sequencer does not start at all, ignoring the internal automation one would have program on the machine itself ?

kay_k
Ultra Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:27 am

enlovoz wrote:I get that the Manther does not respond to CCs yet, but when you sequence it via MIDI, the internal sequencer does not start at all, ignoring the internal automation one would have program on the machine itself ?
puuuuhhh .. I guess it would still run with midi clock and you could record stuff. I never tried

kay_k
Ultra Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:32 pm

AAAHHHHHH

I've downloaded 1.2 and they silently added exactly this legato behavior! I feel like I need to hug that firmware guy
YAAAY

It doesn't do an auto slide but portamento can be programmed per step anyway. so you can do it now!

kay_k
Ultra Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:03 pm

Question: was the Manther always able to record step automation like an Elektron or is that added? I always just "recorded" fader movement but discovered it also works by pressing a step and setting faders.
nice

the bug with the fader going steppy upwards but smooth downwards is still in there, something you only hear when fading slowly (especially with the folder).
A way around is to bring up Morph to 1/3 and then fade slowly.

enlovoz
Learning to Wiggle

Post by enlovoz » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:10 pm

Yes, step automation (parameter lock in the Elektron world) is here since the begining.
About the legato mode you're talking about, what was added exactly ? Do you mean you can parameter lock the glide parameter or is it something else ?

kay_k
Ultra Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:45 am

enlovoz wrote:..
About the legato mode you're talking about, what was added exactly ? Do you mean you can parameter lock the glide parameter or is it something else ?
Before it was this way: whenever I programmed a gate to be 100% it would automatically play the pitch of the following step to be the same while it was actually programmed to be different. Now it changes to what I programmed.

The glide parameter lock was in there from version 1.0, I know, but that wasn’t what I meant. Btw. This is one of the things I am not so happy about but can work with. I don’t need different glide times per step. I’d rather would want to be able to just program slide on or off and have a global length parameter. (MC202 style)
But as I said, I can work with it the way it is.

The machine feels overall more and more like a finished and thought through product. Maybe if v1.2 would have been v1.0 the people wouldn’t be so upset. I’d def buy it again. That said: I saw they are on sale in the moment. :sb:

Licudi
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Licudi » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:39 am

kay_k wrote:That said: I saw they are on sale in the moment. :sb:
Where?

kay_k
Ultra Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:57 am

10% off directly from Malekko

Licudi
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Licudi » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:25 am

Ah thanks. A good deal if you're in the States. Manther is still around retailing at around £550 in the UK.

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:44 am

Does it now sync to MIDI clock properly and follow start/stop messages?

enlovoz
Learning to Wiggle

Post by enlovoz » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:32 am

Apparently the early start problem has been resolved in the new firmware. It wasn't a big issue but it's better if the timing is respected.
I've never had issue with the start/stop midi message, my manther always start when it receives the start message. I never had the 1.0 firmware, maybe the bug was resolve after the first update.

computer controlled
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by computer controlled » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:21 am

Panason wrote:Does it now sync to MIDI clock properly and follow start/stop messages?
Mine has never had an issue with midi clock.
Stuff: SH-01A . TR-8S . MX-1 . D-20 . Waldorf MicroQ . Ensoniq EPS 16+ . Yamaha MODX6 . Yamaha DX7 . MPC Live . Avalon BassLine . Behringer Neutron . Behringer MS-101 . Behringer Pro-1 . Behringer K-2 . Behringer TD-3 . E-Mu Emax . E-Mu Emax II . BeatStep Pro . Keystep .

waxdoctor
Learning to Wiggle

Post by waxdoctor » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:44 am

I don’t know if it is just me having problems with this in FW v1.20:

SHIFT + TRANSPOSE UP or DOWN buttons (for octave transposition ). For semitone transposition, hold SHIFT + TRANSPOSE UP or DOWN buttons and then a keyboard button.

I can't make it work on the spot.

Just if I recall an other preset and then recall the previous with the "transpose action" it is somehow transposed...

This was not in V1.12 - it worked the moment you transposed.

Please, may someone try it too and let me know if I am just too stupid for it - or that my firmware is scrambled...

waxdoctor
Learning to Wiggle

Post by waxdoctor » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:32 am

waxdoctor wrote:I don’t know if it is just me having problems with this in FW v1.20:

SHIFT + TRANSPOSE UP or DOWN buttons (for octave transposition ). For semitone transposition, hold SHIFT + TRANSPOSE UP or DOWN buttons and then a keyboard button.

I can't make it work on the spot.

Just if I recall an other preset and then recall the previous with the "transpose action" it is somehow transposed...

This was not in V1.12 - it worked the moment you transposed.

Please, may someone try it too and let me know if I am just too stupid for it - or that my firmware is scrambled...
All fine now - it's working - I just didn't do it right - you have hold SHIFT (or SHIFT+TRANSPOSE) then a quick tap on the TRANSPOSE or NOTE buttons - otherwise it won't work :)

sonicmayhem
Common Wiggler

Post by sonicmayhem » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:46 pm

The new update is great. So much more fun playing the notes in via a real keyboard.

I still dont like the way you transpose a sequence tho.

Since after you recorded a new sequence via keyboard, in order to play it back you have to deactivate record so why not just let the midi controller transpose the sequence in real time? Much more intuitive, IMO.

segpa16
Learning to Wiggle

Post by segpa16 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:38 am

Hi there,

I tried to record some stuff lately but I'm experiencing some troubles with the Manther. It is about the subs. When I sequence two patterns where subs are presents (set value different from 0), I can hear the transition between the two patterns, a 'click'/'jump' can be heard when going from pattern 1 to pattern 2. I tried to make that 'click' disappear by playing with the filter but it's still here.

If there are no subs, just waves like square / sin / triangle (even subs merged with waves), the transition is smooth between the patterns. It seems it is just about the subs. Did some of you experience the same issue? Need help, this drive me crazy :bang:

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:56 pm

Still checking periodically for the Mr. D
New video for my track
Opening The Portal

Licudi
Ultra Wiggler

Re: new Malekko Grooveboxes!

Post by Licudi » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:48 am

Did BFF or Mr.D appear at NAMM 2020? Three years since their launch now.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:38 am

Licudi wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:48 am
Did BFF or Mr.D appear at NAMM 2020? Three years since their launch now.
I don´t think so...was never mentioned after all this time

after all, this image was kind of premonitory

kay_k
Ultra Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:07 am

you gotta cut them some slack tho.
If I would be in their position I really would think twice before releasing anything in today's marked.
You have lots of drum machines etc. - all this really looked quite different 3 or 4 years ago.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:14 am

kay_k wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:07 am
you gotta cut them some slack tho.
If I would be in their position I really would think twice before releasing anything in today's marked.
You have lots of drum machines etc. - all this really looked quite different 3 or 4 years ago.
I agree now it´s a different market
too bad they didn´t released them at this time

Licudi
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Licudi » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:48 pm

Yeah, a post-B world... I imagine the prototypes reached the pre-production stage, though. Maybe we'll get to hear them someday.

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:05 pm

Licudi wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:48 pm
Yeah, a post-B world... I imagine the prototypes reached the pre-production stage, though. Maybe we'll get to hear them someday.
Yes, but not really. These are innovative new products. Will always be a market for that. Really hope they release the wavtable one eventually :/

Return to “General Gear”