ATV aFrame electronic percussion instrument

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Pugilistas
Common Wiggler

Post by Pugilistas » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:26 pm

Loving mine, especially with the new firmware. I am finding my conga technique is working just fine on the Aframe. Not using bloody fingered style banging though. Depends on the sound, of course. Some presets are really designed for delicate fingerwork.

The new randomize function is fun. Already got a sound or two that I saved to work on later. Got the editor to install and open on one of my computers. Do others' editors seem to work with the new firmware?

SPIKE the Percussionist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SPIKE the Percussionist » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:53 pm

[video][/video]
++

more noiz!

SPIKE the Percussionist

- http://www.manipulate.net -

ASTROGENIC HALLUCINAUTING
CoRE - Constructs of Ritual Evolution
DOGGEBI
Fiddle Witch and the Demons of Doom
morgue city
Unified Space

dan_p
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dan_p » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:42 pm

^ Nice Jam Spike

Pugilistas wrote:The new randomize function is fun. Already got a sound or two that I saved to work on later. Got the editor to install and open on one of my computers. Do others' editors seem to work with the new firmware?
Yes, I'm loving the randomise feature. Its great for finding the more experimental sounds. I like the way you can set the margin of randomisation and also which part of the tome you want to random too.

I didn't know there were any 3rd party editors? TBH I don't use the editor much, `i've got used to editing on the aFrame itself.
Oh you got a Nickel, I got a Dime,
I'd like to get to know you but I haven't got the time,
You got to walk like a mannequin, roll like a tyre,
Act on reaction dodge the big spud fryer
------------------------------------------
www.Soundcloud.com/dan_p
www.YouTube.Com/d4nnyp

SPIKE the Percussionist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SPIKE the Percussionist » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:01 pm

dan_p wrote:^ Nice Jam Spike
Thanks!
++

more noiz!

SPIKE the Percussionist

DOGGEBI
morgue city
Unified Space

scottmoon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by scottmoon » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:04 pm

New sounds with 2.0

[video][/video]
"If you think this world is bad, you should see some of the others" - PKD

My band's noise https://soundcloud.com/lunarasylum

flabby
Veteran Wiggler

Post by flabby » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:50 am

So what’s the final verdict on this considering people have had it for some time now? Is it now collecting dust in the corner or are you still wanting to bang away on it every night?
What are the pros and cons now you’ve had it a while?

I’m seriously considering getting one.

dan_p
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dan_p » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:19 pm

It's ace, but, I play frame drums anyway so it gets a lot of use. I'm pretty sure I had the first one in the UK (other than endorsee's) so have had it for a good while now and I still love it. Firmware 2.0 is really nice and adds quite a lot. I can't speak form a non percussionist perspective but I would imagine it is still a lovely instrument in its own right. I'd wanted something like this for a very long time.

Dan
flabby wrote:So what’s the final verdict on this considering people have had it for some time now? Is it now collecting dust in the corner or are you still wanting to bang away on it every night?

www.Soundcloud.com/dan_p
www.YouTube.Com/d4nnyp

flabby
Veteran Wiggler

Post by flabby » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:23 pm

Cool! Thanks Dan.
Have you found that you can get it to respond the same each time? By that I mean once you know the sound, it’s not unpredictable each time you hit it in a particular place? Also, I know when you strike the center and the rim it responds accordingly, but does it also respond to slap and open like tones if they are more or less in the same place?

I’ve tried the Korg wavedrum and I found it quite awkward. Really nice sounds on there but I didn’t like the mix of samples, preferred just DSP sounds. Plus the interface was horrendous if you wanted to change some parameter, and the manual was equally cryptic. Overall found it quite compromised.

I play congas. I’m the same in that I’ve been after something like this for a while, something that actually plays like a hand drum but exploring other sounds. I’ve been trying to make something similar using a conga head and piezo mics with pure data and max msp. To cut a long story short, I’ve been largely unsuccessful.

dan_p wrote:It's ace, but, I play frame drums anyway so it gets a lot of use. I'm pretty sure I had the first one in the UK (other than endorsee's) so have had it for a good while now and I still love it. Firmware 2.0 is really nice and adds quite a lot. I can't speak form a non percussionist perspective but I would imagine it is still a lovely instrument in its own right. I'd wanted something like this for a very long time.

Dan
flabby wrote:So what’s the final verdict on this considering people have had it for some time now? Is it now collecting dust in the corner or are you still wanting to bang away on it every night?

dan_p
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dan_p » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:42 pm

Yes, its very predictable. if you play it in the same place in the same way it will sound the same way. But its extremely expressive so it responds to where and how you play it very well. it will respond to different techniques, you do have to adjust your technique and learn it though. it works from an initial impulse so if you were to tap it with you finger softly or flick it with a nail it will sound very different even when struck in the same place. muting is a little different, you have to apply some pressure not just leave your hand down, thats the main difference but its easy enough to learn to add pressure for muted sounds.

I didn't like the Wavedrum V2 either. I was very excited when they announced it as I had once played the original version but I just didn't gel with it when it came out.
flabby wrote:Cool! Thanks Dan.
Have you found that you can get it to respond the same each time? By that I mean once you know the sound, it’s not unpredictable each time you hit it in a particular place? Also, I know when you strike the center and the rim it responds accordingly, but does it also respond to slap and open like tones if they are more or less in the same place?

I’ve tried the Korg wavedrum and I found it quite awkward. Really nice sounds on there but I didn’t like the mix of samples, preferred just DSP sounds. Plus the interface was horrendous if you wanted to change some parameter, and the manual was equally cryptic. Overall found it quite compromised.

I play congas. I’m the same in that I’ve been after something like this for a while, something that actually plays like a hand drum but exploring other sounds. I’ve been trying to make something similar using a conga head and piezo mics with pure data and max msp. To cut a long story short, I’ve been largely unsuccessful.

dan_p wrote:It's ace, but, I play frame drums anyway so it gets a lot of use. I'm pretty sure I had the first one in the UK (other than endorsee's) so have had it for a good while now and I still love it. Firmware 2.0 is really nice and adds quite a lot. I can't speak form a non percussionist perspective but I would imagine it is still a lovely instrument in its own right. I'd wanted something like this for a very long time.

Dan

www.Soundcloud.com/dan_p
www.YouTube.Com/d4nnyp

Pugilistas
Common Wiggler

Post by Pugilistas » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:26 am

Real happy with my Aframe, and I found that conga technique transferred over as well. Finger work does well, of course, and some aspects of the sound will be more interesting with different technique. Firmware 2.0 and the editor really are great, and you can go real deep if you want.

Found that those one or two lessons I got on castanets worked really well on the Aframe. Who'd'a thunk it?? Unabashedly watched video of folks playing different styles and tried to copy their licks.

flabby
Veteran Wiggler

Post by flabby » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:01 pm

Great! Thanks for the info guys.
The other main reason I’d like one is I can put headphones on and disappear down the rabbit hole for a while.

flabby
Veteran Wiggler

Post by flabby » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:08 pm

Pugilistas wrote:Real happy with my Aframe, and I found that conga technique transferred over as well. Finger work does well, of course, and some aspects of the sound will be more interesting with different technique. Firmware 2.0 and the editor really are great, and you can go real deep if you want.

Found that those one or two lessons I got on castanets worked really well on the Aframe. Who'd'a thunk it?? Unabashedly watched video of folks playing different styles and tried to copy their licks.
So you found open tone and open slap worked?

scottmoon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: ATV aFrame electronic percussion instrument

Post by scottmoon » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:43 pm

It's been a year since the last post. How's everyone getting along with their Aframes?

SPIKE the Percussionist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SPIKE the Percussionist » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:54 am

scottmoon wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:43 pm
It's been a year since the last post. How's everyone getting along with their Aframes?
still dig it...but...been busy with norns.
++

more noiz!

SPIKE the Percussionist

DOGGEBI
morgue city
Unified Space

dadek
hrrmmm...

Post by dadek » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:10 pm

Ditto, a timeless real instrument. Really wish there was a way they could or would come down in price as I’d love to have more than one to place on stands to play.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:55 pm

i still have my quasi unused and in absolute new condition ATV Aframe for sale ;)
should be i my signature i guess

edit: the Aframe sounds fantastic !
but i find it boring to play it alone.
it would be totally different in a band context !
alone do i much prefer to DIY patch similar things like the Aframes inner DSP/FX is doing,
by playing Piano thru FX.
with the Piano do i have finally 88 Keys at hand for pitch and multitinal dynamics, plus mapped controllers on top.

i shouid have used the aFrame to produce, but i still don´t produce anything, i just experiment around.
But i understand its value as a musical instrument. Thats why i never forced it to sell ( putting it on reverb),
since its sound would finally be the perfect macth for what i´m doing ITB.

in case somebody wants it.......otherwise i might incorporate it sooner or later, haha

scottmoon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by scottmoon » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:02 pm

Funky40 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:55 pm
i still have my quasi unused and in absolute new condition ATV Aframe for sale ;)
I PMed you. Hope it went through. Haven't PMed anything since Muff's went to the new interface.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:29 pm

yup, i just replied

edit2:
since people are looking for A-FRAMes now, it seems:
my unit was now sold a few Months ago !
for a steal btw..........coulnd´t sell it over months if not years
Last edited by Funky40 on Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blipson
Common Wiggler

Post by blipson » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:53 pm

I'd like to verify that it produces very little unamplified acoustic sound. I'd like to be able to play it at 3am using earphones without causing a disturbance.

mmp
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mmp » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:57 pm

I saw the US distributor for ATV has filed for bankruptcy.

SPIKE the Percussionist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SPIKE the Percussionist » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:49 pm

mmp wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:57 pm
I saw the US distributor for ATV has filed for bankruptcy.
YIKES!
++

more noiz!

SPIKE the Percussionist

DOGGEBI
morgue city
Unified Space

blipson
Common Wiggler

Post by blipson » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:40 pm

It's great--everything I expected. As a longtime Zendrum player, quality dynamic response is everything to me, and my aFrame, being amplified acoustic, is sensitive to every nuance. The changes in timbre across the pad make it so that I don't miss having the 30 triggers on my Zendrum; in other words, patches can be very kit-like, and the instrument a self-sufficient percussion section in some situations. In a general sense, I treat many patches as kick/snare, so I guess I wish it had a third sound (on the frame?) that could function as a ride, or a pulse/groove-keeper. I sometimes do scratches or rubs as a ride-esque sound, but that aspect still seems to me the aFrame's biggest limitation unless I get more clever with the programming.

Playing position is also an impactful decision. I'd like to lay it flat on my lap, but then you can't access the controls unless you put the groove on hold. There is something nice about holding it vertically with one side of it resting on your leg because the wrist position isn't bent back (carpal tunnel consideration), and then you're sort of hugging the thing, which gives the playing a feel a sense of intimacy like you get with a guitar (and not a keyboard). This position, though--while addictive because you can do other stuff (surf the internet, feed the baby, etc.) without putting the thing down--is very dominant-handed: one hand does all the work from a very natural, relaxed position while the other hand has to reach up and over to accompany and supplement, or is reduced to tapping with fingertips. That's fine because you still play with 100% flexibility (in terms of what the instrument can do), but I don't like the idea of one hand developing a lot more technique than the other in this asymmetric position, so I'm going to force myself to change hands on alternate days. It's much easier to operate the controls from this position, too, because sometimes you want to change the timbre midstream more drastically. I'm getting a lot of mileage out of muting and unmuting the different layers, particularly because I find the dry sound very useful with some patches. I would have loved to have a little modulation wheel or slider or two built into the frame that could be assigned via a modulation matrix--and then you might as well throw in an LFO to boot.

Return to “General Gear”