Behringer MiniMoog Clone

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

kinkycables
Common Wiggler

Post by kinkycables » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:50 pm

Should’ve waited and bought the Crave.

lilakmonoke
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lilakmonoke » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:22 pm

if cant afford both you are in the wrong forum :-)

Funch

Post by Funch » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:38 pm

kinkycables wrote:Should’ve waited and bought the Crave.
when I put a plug into a Behringer Jack on the model d it doesn't seem like it'll last.

When I put a plug into a jack on the mother 32 it seems like it will last.

Same with the switches and some of the knobs.

And besides I'm waiting for the Behringer FS (freespeach) model. When it receives a midi note on message or CV input that it that goes against its program, the oscillator is designed to implement its tsuyu wave (sounds like sue you). 8-)

ToneBub
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ToneBub » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:05 am

1986Bowler wrote:I ended up getting one. It's fine for what it is- no issues thus far, and fun to use.
As others have said, I am glad Uli is giving all a chance to experience in a way the synths of yesteryear to mess around with.
Yep.

I picked up a reissue Minimoog Model D soon after Moog began shipping, after reading glowing reviews from SOS and others. I'd wanted one since the 70s. And I love it. After owning it awhile I am filled with admiration for the design of the little beast. It's a delight to play, logically arranged, easy to dial-in great sounds, and with sufficient modulation possibilities to keep from getting bored. And the reissue improves on the original design, adding extra modulation and routing possibilities.

I was surprised when I heard Behringer was building a cheap reissue. I figured, it would probably be a pale imitation. Nope... they've apparently copied the circuitry exactly... or at least as exactly as you can using small modern surface mount components. While I'm not as filled with admiration for Behringer's effort in building a pure clone, I do admire that they've managed to make the Model D available to a wide public at an amazing price. I bought one a few weeks ago on sale for $250, and use it to supplement some Eurorack stuff.

Am I disappointed in my much-more-costly Moog Model D reissue? No. As I said, the Moog reissue is a delight to sit down with and play. The larger size and classic feel and response make it much more fun and productive than the Boog. Is it worth 10X the price?... well that's much harder to say. But I'm glad I've got it and love it enough that I have no plans to sell it.

I'm hopeful that the low-cost Behr Model D will introduce a whole new generation to the joys of analog modular synthesis, how it's done, and how to use it to make interesting music. It's *much* more fun and interesting to play and learn from a Model D than from computer plug-ins, or from keyboards with just presets. And despite an almost 50 year old design, it still really sounds great. If spreading the gospel of analog synthesis to a flock of younger musicians is the eventual outcome, then a cheap clone Model D will turn out to be a very good thing indeed.
David

jdaddyaz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jdaddyaz » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:33 pm

Interesting analogy. Can't say I've ever heard Brazil brought up as a comparison for something. My hat's off to you sir.

P.S.
Don't report me. I'm a kind hearted gentleman with a 401k.

Funch

Post by Funch » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:12 pm

jdaddyaz wrote:Interesting analogy. Can't say I've ever heard Brazil brought up as a comparison for something. My hat's off to you sir.

P.S.
Don't report me. I'm a kind hearted gentleman with a 401k.
:tu: I won't report you if you don't report me. 12 posts in 3 days, I might be making a run for it. 8-)

"Why? I came into this game for the action, the excitement. Go anywhere, travel light, get in, get out, wherever there's trouble, a man alone. Now they got the whole country sectioned off, you can't make a move without a form." HT

felixer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by felixer » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:06 pm

Funch wrote: when I put a plug into a Behringer Jack on the model d it doesn't seem like it'll last.

And besides I'm waiting for the Behringer FS (freespeach) model. When it receives a midi note on message or CV input that it that goes against its program, the oscillator is designed to implement its tsuyu wave (sounds like sue you). 8-)
doesn't seem? what a load of crap ...
don't need midi, don't need keys, just want knobs and cables (all together now ;-)

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Shledge » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:42 am

We get a lot of half-arsed trolls, let him bathe in the filth I say. :despair:

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:08 am

Funch wrote:...on this site, most folks will not deal with us low number posters. Also, some folks here will report you to the mods for these kinds of deals before 100 posts are achieved and if you make a run trying to get a hundred post they'll also report you to "Central Services"...

Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

Funch

Post by Funch » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:39 am

felixer wrote:
Funch wrote: when I put a plug into a Behringer Jack on the model d it doesn't seem like it'll last.

doesn't seem? what a load of crap ...
yes 1st Behringer product I've ever owned and when compared to every other piece of gear I own it seems like it's made cheap.I like the sound, just not used to Jack's wobbling when plugs are inserted into them. So that'll be my last Behringer product. Not into cheap crap so I agree with your statement that it's a load of crap.

If you look at the construction, the Moog mother 32 uses metal nuts through the top plate whereas the Behringer has some sort of plastic thingy on the jacks.

And the knobs on the Behringer Model D that control the octave range and waveform feel cheap. So once again I agree with you, load of crap parts.

That's an opinion, hopefully Behringer won't sue me for expressing it on a public forum. They tried to sue members of a forum already and lost once.

I do however understand that some high post count members on many forums often are into to hazing rituals.
Last edited by Funch on Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Funch

Post by Funch » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:40 am

Shledge wrote:We get a lot of half-arsed trolls, let him bathe in the filth I say. :despair:
I don't think felixer was trolling anyone, chill.

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Shledge » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:44 am

I mean you, knobarse.

Funch

Post by Funch » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:44 am

Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Funch wrote:...on this site, most folks will not deal with us low number posters. Also, some folks here will report you to the mods for these kinds of deals before 100 posts are achieved and if you make a run trying to get a hundred post they'll also report you to "Central Services"...

now that's funny. 8-)

3 more posts today. That baby is starting to get concerned. :nana:

Funch

Post by Funch » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:03 am

Shledge wrote:I mean you, knobarse.
thanks for the clarification, namaste

lilakmonoke
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lilakmonoke » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:46 pm

post nr. 18 and counting!

as a "high post count" member i advise you to write posts that actually mean something or STFU if you cant. muffs posts are not youtube comments or just for selling shit even if it sometimes looks like that. so if you follow that rule you will live a long and high post count muffs existence.

now, on to post nr. 19 ...

Funch

Post by Funch » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:27 pm

lilakmonoke wrote:post nr. 18 and counting!

as a "high post count" member i advise you to write posts that actually mean something or STFU if you cant. muffs posts are not youtube comments or just for selling shit even if it sometimes looks like that. so if you follow that rule you will live a long and high post count muffs existence.

now, on to post nr. 19 ...
"
dude, I have nothing that I want to sell here on muff's. I'm only here to repair the ductwork.

"Write posts that actually mean something", What does that even mean?

"Well, that's a pipe of a different color."

Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle

naos
Common Wiggler

Post by naos » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:25 am

Funch wrote:yes 1st Behringer product I've ever owned and when compared to every other piece of gear I own it seems like it's made cheap.I like the sound, just not used to Jack's wobbling when plugs are inserted into them. So that'll be my last Behringer product. Not into cheap crap so I agree with your statement that it's a load of crap.

If you look at the construction, the Moog mother 32 uses metal nuts through the top plate whereas the Behringer has some sort of plastic thingy on the jacks.

And the knobs on the Behringer Model D that control the octave range and waveform feel cheap. So once again I agree with you, load of crap parts.
agreed 100%. but I'm even more bothered by the ugly design of the faceplate and the messed up switches colors. if you're going to clone a legendary instrument, at least do it properly (fonts, lines, etc) or if you want it to look different at least hire an actual designer. the only reason I haven't sold mine yet is that well... it makes very sweet sounds.

lilakmonoke
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lilakmonoke » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:59 am

"Write posts that actually mean something", What does that even mean?
for some reason that question doesnt surprise me but keep going.

Man-In-A-Suitcase

Post by Man-In-A-Suitcase » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:09 am

Funch wrote:when I put a plug into a Behringer Jack on the model d it doesn't seem like it'll last.
I very much doubt you could perceive such a thing, you would have to insert and then take out that patch cable many hundreds of times before you could have failure, you are talking s**t.

Funch wrote:When I put a plug into a jack on the mother 32 it seems like it will last.
Is that because the Moog name is attached to the M32. moog's build quality is not exactly the greatest either, even their stuff fails from time to time.
Funch wrote:Same with the switches and some of the knobs.
Again you can't perceive such a thing, you would have flick those switches and rotate those knobs back and forth many hundreds or thousands of times before there is failure, again you are talking s**t.

Come back when you have done this and give us your results. If you are unable to do so, then you are full of it.

Funch

Post by Funch » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:26 am

Man-In-A-Suitcase wrote:
Funch wrote:when I put a plug into a Behringer Jack on the model d it doesn't seem like it'll last.
I very much doubt you could perceive such a thing, you would have to insert and then take out that patch cable many hundreds of times before you could have failure, you are talking s**t.

Funch wrote:When I put a plug into a jack on the mother 32 it seems like it will last.
Is that because the Moog name is attached to the M32. moog's build quality is not exactly the greatest either, even their stuff fails from time to time.
Funch wrote:Same with the switches and some of the knobs.
Again you can't perceive such a thing, you would have flick those switches and rotate those knobs back and forth many hundreds or thousands of times before there is failure, again you are talking s**t.

Come back when you have done this and give us your results. If you are unable to do so, then you are full of it.
oh no, I can tell right away the quality of switches and electric parts. Part of my job is to install them for a living in household electrical applications.

I used cheap light switches in my last building project and I'm glad I noticed the electric smell before it started a fire. Now the electric codes have changed where arc fault breakers are required so a breaker would have tripped when that switch started arcing.

I noticed the jackwobble the very 1st time.I agree with naos, I'll be keeping it because it sounds very good, just use caution when using jacks and switches. But not buying anymore cheap crap, either light switches or Behringer products.

You get what you pay for.

Disclaimer notice: The author of this post is not responsible if any reader can't find meaning in their lives. :hihi:

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Shledge » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:39 am

Metasonix uses the same jacks AFAIK. I don't see anyone complaining about them.

Also household electrics as a comparison? Bloody hell.

Man-In-A-Suitcase

Post by Man-In-A-Suitcase » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:46 am

Shledge wrote: Also household electrics as a comparison? Bloody hell.
can someone ask Behringer if they are using household switches in their synths. :lol:
Last edited by Man-In-A-Suitcase on Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Shledge » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:47 am

Can't have that 12v arcing to electrocute people! :lol:

I don't understand the criticism of the switches either, they're pretty solid for me. I don't have any wobble at all.
Last edited by Shledge on Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Man-In-A-Suitcase

Post by Man-In-A-Suitcase » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:48 am

[double post]

Funch

Post by Funch » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:45 pm

Shledge wrote:Can't have that 12v arcing to electrocute people! :lol:

I don't understand the criticism of the switches either, they're pretty solid for me. I don't have any wobble at all.
"Captain Reynolds I should tell you so that you don't waste your time you can't make me angry."

Return to “General Gear”