Behringer MiniMoog Clone

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:19 am

Has anyone gotten an iPad app to control the Boog? I’m thinking that GeoShred or ThumbJam would be great controllers, if the necessary midi connection is possible.
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

lilakmonoke
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lilakmonoke » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:50 am

I decided to pick up a neutron as well.
i dont like the way the neutron sounds, i think its is permanently routed through an overdrive circuit and that ruins it, just like the novation bass station 2. people have actually modded that out and then its ok. im waiting for the crave that one sounds great ... and the pro one of course, they all use them same CEM chips btw.

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:41 am

lilakmonoke wrote:
i dont like the way the neutron sounds, i think its is permanently routed through an overdrive circuit and that ruins it, just like the novation bass station 2. people have actually modded that out and then its ok. im waiting for the crave that one sounds great ... and the pro one of course, they all use them same CEM chips btw.
No doubt the Pro-One will be interesting. I will almost inevitably grab one of those as well. I expect I will use the neutron more as individual components for expanding my eurorack system, but the way I see it for the 250 I paid for it (including shipping), I could buy a single BBD and maybe a filter, so its hard to justify not getting it in that sense.
New video for my track
Opening The Portal

Funch

Post by Funch » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:59 am

lilakmonoke wrote:
agree, neutron sounds harsh to my ears, but I thought it was because it has a bright filter fed with bright oscs that I was hearing.

Also agree, the crave sounds very nice. Maybe B does better when they copy other designs rather than try to innovate?

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:24 am

Sorry to slam this with so many posts. I put together another piece with the model-d as the bass-line. I just can't believe the results I'm getting from this thing. I'm starting to think that bass capabilities were somewhat lacking in my set up before:

New video for my track
Opening The Portal

lilakmonoke
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lilakmonoke » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:37 am

I put together another piece with the model-d as the bass-line.
i see a lot of blinkenlights but can hardly hear the boog. instagramm is not the best way to publish music ...
but I thought it was because it has a bright filter fed with bright oscs
what you should hear is a CEM osc through a CEM filter, essentially a monophonic prophet 5 which is quite broadband anyways. so why mess with the gain structure or run it through an unnecessary overdrive? its just a design mistake which they did not repeat with the crave. behringer are listening to their customers!

[video][/video]

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:40 am

lilakmonoke wrote:
I put together another piece with the model-d as the bass-line.
i see a lot of blinkenlights but can hardly hear the boog. instagramm is not the best way to publish music ...
I mean, obviously, that's true, which is why my bandcamp link is in my signature. I'm not sure how you can hardly hear the boog though it's the main synth line here. Instagram is nice for documenting short things that I'm working on that might not make it to an album for a year or so.
New video for my track
Opening The Portal

retoid
Common Wiggler

Post by retoid » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:33 am

Replaced the bamboo cheeks with rosewood, turned out pretty good apart from my taking measurements from the original cheeks and not from the chassis/skiff, which is why one screw is missing. It does not line up. Probably going to make a couple more to fix the problem.

lilakmonoke
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lilakmonoke » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:33 pm

nice! but bamboo ends? i wish i had bamboo on mine, its some really soft wood that dents easily when you drop the synth - which happens now and then when my dog gets into the mix ;-) i think metal with leather like some of the original arp odyssey have would be stunning.

retoid
Common Wiggler

Post by retoid » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:59 pm

@lilakmonoke The cheeks that the Behringer model D come with are bamboo, very light and dry, almost feels fake or like plastic. Mine were dented and the screws were tightened to much and indented the wood there also. Ended up making new cheeks from rosewood, which is a hard wood and more durable. It's only sanded and treated with dark paste wax, no stain.

thispoison
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thispoison » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:55 pm

lilakmonoke wrote: i think metal with leather like some of the original arp odyssey have would be stunning.
Yes, but they have that row of fragile white keys to sacrifcially protect the metal and leather if you go anywhere near to either. :sadbanana:
Where have I seen you before?
Same place you saw me, I expect.
I've got a good face for memories.

https://soundcloud.com/thispoison-1

spacenoodle
Veteran Wiggler

Post by spacenoodle » Tue May 07, 2019 2:17 pm

This synth sounds so good it makes me wish I just saved and bought the real deal years ago. I had an SE1x for a while, thinking I had what was close enough, never really got along with it, assumed I was just not digging Moog sounds/architecture and never looked back. This Behringer version has left quite a different impression. Very thankful to have access to this sound for so little cash now. And this definitely erases any doubts about buying more Behringer instruments, even switching current stuff over to Behringer versions.

Carrousel
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Carrousel » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:55 am

Boog vs Eurorack...... The main synth lead line coming in at 2mins 35secs on this track was made by sending a Boog output into an optomix channel and chopping it up with a velocity-controlled gate sequence from a cirklon. The fuzzy warmth of the Boog offsets the crispness of the Rubicon (the high twinkly bell sounds) and the digital squelch of a Plonk (the drainpipe acid-y squelches). Please enjoy.....
http://soundcloud.com/carrousel_uk/trug
Formerly 'Raven_Martin' on Muffwiggler

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music'

https://soundcloud.com/carrousel_uk

Lemmy
Common Wiggler

Post by Lemmy » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:25 pm

I was considering moving my Model D to my main Eurorack and using the Boog case for a Eurorack sequencer module. Looks like the box only supplies +12V though, no -12V?

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:01 pm

retoid wrote:Image
I thought that was a piece of MH370 for a moment.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:31 pm

... spray on truck bedliner .... cures all evils ... and as everyone knows, it makes the synth sound MOAR PHATTTTTER!!!!! This is a fact.

:roll:

Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:05 pm

I used the Boog pretty extensively (as well as the neutron!) on my most recent album. This track in particular was done with live with both:
New video for my track
Opening The Portal

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:11 pm

Carrousel wrote:Boog vs Eurorack...... The main synth lead line coming in at 2mins 35secs on this track was made by sending a Boog output into an optomix channel and chopping it up with a velocity-controlled gate sequence from a cirklon. The fuzzy warmth of the Boog offsets the crispness of the Rubicon (the high twinkly bell sounds) and the digital squelch of a Plonk (the drainpipe acid-y squelches). Please enjoy.....
Sounds huge. The lead line reminds me of YMO's version of Firecracker. Nice work.
New video for my track
Opening The Portal

Carrousel
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Carrousel » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:09 pm

coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Carrousel wrote:Boog vs Eurorack...... The main synth lead line coming in at 2mins 35secs on this track was made by sending a Boog output into an optomix channel and chopping it up with a velocity-controlled gate sequence from a cirklon. The fuzzy warmth of the Boog offsets the crispness of the Rubicon (the high twinkly bell sounds) and the digital squelch of a Plonk (the drainpipe acid-y squelches). Please enjoy.....
Sounds huge. The lead line reminds me of YMO's version of Firecracker. Nice work.
Thanks very much! Great spot on the lead line by the way. This track started when my mate played me Firecracker and we both got lost admiring the lead arpeggiated line.....We used the same notes as a starting point for the lead in the track I posted....so kudos to ya!

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music'

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:00 pm

I just listened to 'Trug' on some good speakers. Daaang, dude. That is some seriously good mixing chops. That sounds frikken excellent. Well done!

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:00 pm

lilakmonoke wrote:
The filter is 'normalled' to the overdrive, and then the overdrive is 'normalled' to the VCA, bu you can just use a patch cord to connect the filter output(s) directly to the VCA input in the patch bay, bypassing the overdrive.

You can similarly bypass the delay, which is 'normalled' after the VCA and before the main outs, by just using the VCA OUT jack in the front patch bay as your main out.

Carrousel
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Carrousel » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:41 pm

Dave Peck wrote:
I just listened to 'Trug' on some good speakers. Daaang, dude. That is some seriously good mixing chops. That sounds frikken excellent. Well done!
Thanks very much Dave!

In the last 12-18months I bought a pack of GIK acoustic panels to treat my basement studio (with a woefully low roof). I also swapped out my Adam A7x speakers with a fairly shot bass response for a pair of HEDD 07s and I couldn’t be happier. To get feedback like that just ices the cake.

Switchzik
Common Wiggler

Post by Switchzik » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:05 am

Sorry if it has been already asked but can I drone with it (including the filter) without holding a note on a keyboard ? Basically like on the M32.
Thanks !

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:08 am

Switchzik wrote:Sorry if it has been already asked but can I drone with it (including the filter) without holding a note on a keyboard ? Basically like on the M32.
Thanks !
yes provided you have a static voltage
New video for my track
Opening The Portal

Switchzik
Common Wiggler

Post by Switchzik » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:03 am

You mean, that's what the a-440 switch on the right is for ?
Can you then afterwards change the pitch ?

Return to “General Gear”