Behringer MiniMoog Clone

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

retoid
Common Wiggler

Post by retoid » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:45 am

dubonaire wrote:
retoid wrote:
I thought that was a piece of MH370 for a moment.
Hah, how's that?

umma gumma
Ultra Wiggler

Post by umma gumma » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:08 pm

Switchzik wrote:You mean, that's what the a-440 switch on the right is for ?
Can you then afterwards change the pitch ?
you probably have to feed +5v into the gate input

A440 is just for tuning, AFAIK

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:06 pm

umma gumma wrote:
Switchzik wrote:You mean, that's what the a-440 switch on the right is for ?
Can you then afterwards change the pitch ?
you probably have to feed +5v into the gate input

A440 is just for tuning, AFAIK
^Correct on both counts
New video on Prophet 12 Drone Patches:
Prophet 12 Drone Patches

Switchzik
Common Wiggler

Post by Switchzik » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:22 am

Ok thanks !

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:21 pm

When I read the recent comments I was thinking 'these guys must be wrong - if you want to bypass the VCA (to make it drone or whatever) just use the VCF output jack' But nope, it doesn't have a VCF output jack! There's no way to access the filter output while bypassing the VCA. This is now the third example of a monosynth/complete voice product that has patch points, but doesn't include a filter output jack to directly access the filter output. That seems like an odd omission to me. But yeah, feeding a +5V DC into the VCA mod input will hold the VCA open for drone purposes.

DREIPOLAR
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DREIPOLAR » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:42 am

thats not the only patch point that is missing but the good news is you can add them easily. i was always wondering about that sine generator and how to change the pitch ... but i doubt its control voltage based because how would you get precisely 440 hz out of it? is there some clock generator involved?

_lampshade_
Common Wiggler

Re: Behringer MiniMoog Clone

Post by _lampshade_ » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:22 pm

for some reason my model d needs a voltage into the loudness cv input or it makes no sound. i can of course just run a cable from loud cv output to loud cv in, but anyone ran into this? is something broken in the jack which is telling the circuit to bypass the normaling?

latrohexus
Learning to Wiggle

Post by latrohexus » Fri May 15, 2020 3:02 pm

Speaking of voltage, has anyone else thrown a multimeter across the LFO outs? I'm breadboarding a buffered mult and using the LFO to test it, and while the manual says it should be +/-2V, I'm only getting -1.7V->1.6V out of it. It's the same at the output of the D and the output of my circuit, so that's good news for my design, but now I'm wondering if that range is in normal tolerance or if there's something amiss.

joey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by joey » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:25 pm

just got one of these and really digging it :)

commodorejohn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by commodorejohn » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:01 pm

Of course, this is more general to the Minimoog, but it never fails to amaze me how dirty and nasty this beast can get all by itself. Working on a piece where I really wanted a big crunchy power-chord sound, and I didn't even have to bring in any FX for the job - between oscillator FM and the external-input feedback path, it got so gnarly that I may have to go back and dial it down a bit :lol:
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000, Ensoniq SQ-80

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

3hands
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:22 am

_lampshade_ wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:22 pm
for some reason my model d needs a voltage into the loudness cv input or it makes no sound. i can of course just run a cable from loud cv output to loud cv in, but anyone ran into this? is something broken in the jack which is telling the circuit to bypass the normaling?

If your using the CV on it instead of the midi (I am as well), pitch goes to the osc input, and gate to VCA (loudnessCV input). Just like a modular! :)
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

_lampshade_
Common Wiggler

Post by _lampshade_ » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:47 pm

3hands wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:22 am
_lampshade_ wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:22 pm

If your using the CV on it instead of the midi (I am as well), pitch goes to the osc input, and gate to VCA (loudnessCV input). Just like a modular! :)

Thanks, But unfortunately that not it. if I'm using it with cv i have to both a gate triggering the Lc gate input AND a positive voltage or envelope into LC cv input, if using midi or usb midi it triggers the envelope with a note but it still needs a positive voltage as well into LC cv input.

its like the normaling is broken in the lc input and it thinks something is always plugged in. anyone have an idea of how to fix it i wouldnt mind trying to solder if it might be an easyish fix.

SkyWriter
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SkyWriter » Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:01 pm

It anyone is up for replacing potentiometers, I have had enormous success replacing the envelope timing and oscillator tuning pots to alphas in my Poly D and System B55 rig. Also, putting a smaller timing cap in to shift envelope timing down into to 1ms to 2 second range. The pots Behringer use are terrible for expressing the fast timing in a Moog clone.

Here's the relevant Poly D posting
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=224347&start=150#p3382933

Much of the overall detail is provided the Behringer System 55 thread.

These changes have made my Poly D from OK pad machine, into a percussive wonderland! Those pots leave big holes in your addressable envelope timing.
Prologue 16 - an adventure worth having!

bitflip
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bitflip » Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:55 am

SkyWriter wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:01 pm
It anyone is up for replacing potentiometers...
Thanks again for doing all the R&D and extensively documenting it in here for all us lazier or less technically gifted folk (or both, that'd be me) :tu:

SkyWriter
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SkyWriter » Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:32 am

bitflip wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:55 am
SkyWriter wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:01 pm
It anyone is up for replacing potentiometers...
Thanks again for doing all the R&D and extensively documenting it in here for all us lazier or less technically gifted folk (or both, that'd be me) :tu:
Glad to share! I am really digging the envelopes on this Poly D now. :0)
Prologue 16 - an adventure worth having!

Return to “General Gear”