New Waldorf 8 Voice Hybrid Poly

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

tehyar
I dream in SciFi

Post by tehyar » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:52 am

Oof, you’re giving me hope mine won’t be delayed again this week.

Congrats 8-)

mome rath
a dubious cube of margarine

Post by mome rath » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:54 am

tehyar wrote:Oof, you’re giving me hope mine won’t be delayed again this week.

Congrats 8-)
sweetwater had 65 on the wait list, expects ~90 to come in on Dec 20?

just my guy's guess, though
soundcloud, dear friends

good trader cred
instagraM
guest wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:45 pm
basically, as the dude put it "no walter, youre not wrong, youre just an asshole".
zoogoo wrote: your stupid

zeit

Post by zeit » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:04 am

mome rath wrote:

anyway, ordered a quantum yesterdaaaaaaaaaaay after CO5MA's videos blew my mind apart :hyper:
wow, those demos do sounds sweet..love the sequence at the end on the Dragan patch...congrats on ordering one of these. :party:

rowsbywoof
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rowsbywoof » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:09 pm

It does sound nice, but I'm still a little overwhelmed by the interface... and I feel like I could get similar sounds in that demo from a Microwave or Blofeld, but I'm excited to hear what folks start doing with the more granular and Nave-like side of the synth. That's what excites me the most about the Quantum.

tehyar
I dream in SciFi

Post by tehyar » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:28 pm

Bleh, they pushed it out another month.

:tardis:

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:32 pm

tehyar wrote:Bleh, they pushed it out another month.

Ugh. I’m sure there are some ultra banal explanation, but at the same time I can’t understand why they keep pushing it back a month to month instead of just picking a firm date and having the damn thing ready to go. It’s already made, it’s in production, what is holding it back from reaching the US?

justin3am
Let's go do some crimes

Post by justin3am » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:56 pm

I ordered mine direct from Waldorf, it should arrive in LA on Monday.
"Thank god for the drugs and drums." El-P
3amNoise | Synth Videos

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:06 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:

Ugh. I’m sure there are some ultra banal explanation, but at the same time I can’t understand why they keep pushing it back a month to month instead of just picking a firm date and having the damn thing ready to go. It’s already made, it’s in production, what is holding it back from reaching the US?
There are currently a lot of issues throughout the entire electronics industry involving delays in getting parts delivered on schedule. I don't know if that is specifically what is causing this delay, but it's causing a lot of delays. It's not the first time this has happened.

stikygum
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by stikygum » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:25 pm

It's already arrived to the US. Some people have gotten theirs. I think the deal is that if you weren't one of the first people to order the Quantum, then you won't get a Quantum from the first US batch.
justin3am wrote:I ordered mine direct from Waldorf, it should arrive in LA on Monday.
When did you order?
WTB: EML 101

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:57 pm

stikygum wrote:It's already arrived to the US. Some people have gotten theirs. I think the deal is that if you weren't one of the first people to order the Quantum, then you won't get a Quantum from the first US batch.
justin3am wrote:I ordered mine direct from Waldorf, it should arrive in LA on Monday.
When did you order?
Yeah, also curious. I know they are here, just not in any sort of vast quantity.

mome rath
a dubious cube of margarine

Post by mome rath » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:16 pm

:despair:
soundcloud, dear friends

good trader cred
instagraM
guest wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:45 pm
basically, as the dude put it "no walter, youre not wrong, youre just an asshole".
zoogoo wrote: your stupid

brokensolderingiron
Common Wiggler

Post by brokensolderingiron » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:43 pm

Dave Peck wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:

There are currently a lot of issues throughout the entire electronics industry involving delays in getting parts delivered on schedule. I don't know if that is specifically what is causing this delay, but it's causing a lot of delays. It's not the first time this has happened.
There have and still are a huge shortage of SMT ceramic capacitors particularly 100nF (supply bypass). and for anything viable prices have been rocketing. Whether or not this affects Walldurf... who knows!!
https://epsnews.com/2018/08/30/componen ... es-worsen/

justin3am
Let's go do some crimes

Post by justin3am » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:41 pm

stikygum wrote:
When did you order?
I think it was back in September. I got the tracking number on Monday.
I think some have gotten theirs from Sweetwater as well.
3amNoise | Synth Videos

justin3am
Let's go do some crimes

Post by justin3am » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:57 am

My Quantum arrived yesterday. I'm totally blown away.

It's an incredible sound design tool. There is just so much to explore. I had been poring over the manual for months, so it felt very familiar and intuitive from the beginning.

I don't regret selling my V-Synth GT one bit (though I may end up getting an XT at some point). :hihi:
3amNoise | Synth Videos

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:35 am

I glanced at the manual, and didn't see it (might have missed it), and i don't see anyone mentioning it.

Can you turn the vca up so that the instrument just drones without using envelopes to trigger it?

Is the sequencer interesting in any way? I remember that the Q moved things a bit in that direction, but from looking at the manual superficially and in the abstract, this just looks like a pretty standard sequencer.

I toyed with the notion of trying to buy one of these, but from all of the hands on comments, and the demos I've heard, it seems to me that this is a very conventional synth with some stuff added on (granular, for instance). And the interface looks very good, but it looks like the market for it is kind of the same as for the Virus? I don't see even a hint of anyone using this to generate experimental type stuff.

This is not to denigrate the machine, but for me to try to decide whether I'll just wind up selling it.

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:06 am

There's always a selection of cheap power tools available at local hardware store.

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:55 am

Panason wrote:There's always a selection of cheap power tools available at local hardware store.
damn. I still have my old trepanation tools.

justin3am
Let's go do some crimes

Post by justin3am » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:36 pm

You can't open the VCA's without triggering a note but there is a Latch button which allows you to toggle notes on and off. This is nice because you can toggle individual voices on and off.

The Quantum can definitely get into weird territory but it does feel like a synth that was designed to be played from the keyboard. It won't stop me from abusing it in other ways. I haven't yet exhausted the 40 Mod Matrix slots in a patch but if you do, you can MIDI-learn almost any parameter (even some which are not available in the mod matrix, wtf) for external control and sequencing. The granular side of things is very impressive and loading my own samples was very easy. The Komplex Modulator is also really cool. It's like being able to morph between two multi-segment envelope generators.

I haven't even experimented with the built in sequencer yet. I've mostly been using my Octatrack (while I wait for my Vector sequencer :mrgreen: ).
3amNoise | Synth Videos

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:21 pm

justin3am wrote:You can't open the VCA's without triggering a note but there is a Latch button which allows you to toggle notes on and off. This is nice because you can toggle individual voices on and off.

The Quantum can definitely get into weird territory but it does feel like a synth that was designed to be played from the keyboard. It won't stop me from abusing it in other ways. I haven't yet exhausted the 40 Mod Matrix slots in a patch but if you do, you can MIDI-learn almost any parameter (even some which are not available in the mod matrix, wtf) for external control and sequencing. The granular side of things is very impressive and loading my own samples was very easy. The Komplex Modulator is also really cool. It's like being able to morph between two multi-segment envelope generators.

I haven't even experimented with the built in sequencer yet. I've mostly been using my Octatrack (while I wait for my Vector sequencer :mrgreen: ).
thanks. i've decided not to go for it right now.

I doubt that I'd use all 40 mod slots - not even close. but i just have this gut feeling that it would be a mistake for me to buy it - that I'd get frustrated with it. I might relent in the future. It's more important to me right now to grab a cocoquantus again, which for a much cheaper price, and much less space, I'll get something that I love, and shouldn't have sold.

rean1mator
Wiggling with Experience

Upcoming 2.0 firmware will add new synthesis engine.

Post by rean1mator » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:18 pm

https://www.gearnews.com/namm-2019-wald ... is-engine/

Wow, an entirely new synth engine being added to the Quantum, and it's looks pretty amazing. Kernel Synthesis? Never even heard of it.

As it sits now the Quantum already offers a pretty great selection of synth engines - wavetable, classic waveform, resonator, granular synthesis.

Can't wait!

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Upcoming 2.0 firmware will add new synthesis engine.

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:52 pm

rean1mator wrote:https://www.gearnews.com/namm-2019-wald ... is-engine/

Wow, an entirely new synth engine being added to the Quantum, and it's looks pretty amazing. Kernel Synthesis? Never even heard of it.

As it sits now the Quantum already offers a pretty great selection of synth engines - wavetable, classic waveform, resonator, granular synthesis.

Can't wait!
This looks like a bonkers new addition!

The Quantum really feels like the most advanced hardware synth out there these days. A wonderful and worthy alternative to VSTs, whose hardware bone fides, including the analog filter, justify the expenditure.

rean1mator
Wiggling with Experience

Post by rean1mator » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:04 pm

It's a powerhouse of a synth for sure. I'm very happy with mine. As I get more intimate with it, it's really very easy to program. I think they did a great job integrating the tactile side of the knobs portion with the additional options that you tweak on the screen. Really is a lot of fun to program.

One of the best arpeggiators I've used on a synth to date as well. haven't even gotten to the sequencer yet. but the options to changing the patterns within each arp type gives you so many options.
Sir Ruff wrote:
rean1mator wrote:https://www.gearnews.com/namm-2019-wald ... is-engine/

Can't wait!
This looks like a bonkers new addition!

The Quantum really feels like the most advanced hardware synth out there these days. A wonderful and worthy alternative to VSTs, whose hardware bone fides, including the analog filter, justify the expenditure.

rowsbywoof
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rowsbywoof » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:13 pm

rean1mator wrote:One of the best arpeggiators I've used on a synth to date as well. haven't even gotten to the sequencer yet. but the options to changing the patterns within each arp type gives you so many options.
That doesn't surprise me. The Blofeld had a killer arpeggiator, too. I need to find a place that will let me get my hands on a Quantum. It really feels like a proper Wave replacement, and I only imagine it will get even better with time with all Waldorf is adding to it.

tehyar
I dream in SciFi

Post by tehyar » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:10 pm

Finally got mine! :banana:

The build quality of this thing is incredible. Though I did notice one little thing. The panel overlay isn’t exactly stuck down at the edges. Anyone else notice this?

For the sound, I noticed that the reverb - which seems to be on on many patches with high gain - tends to leave a really loud trailing sound after you let up the keys. It’s not a trailing off kind of thing, but a burst of reverb, like an extra key hit. I *think* I’ve been able to dial that back a bit by reducing the gain dramatically, so maybe this is just an artifact of too much gain and/or too much time on those presets?

Those are my only two :hmm: so far. Can’t wait to dive into it some more.

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:18 pm

tehyar wrote:For the sound, I noticed that the reverb - which seems to be on on many patches with high gain - tends to leave a really loud trailing sound after you let up the keys. It’s not a trailing off kind of thing, but a burst of reverb, like an extra key hit. I *think* I’ve been able to dial that back a bit by reducing the gain dramatically, so maybe this is just an artifact of too much gain and/or too much time on those presets?
This is probably the compressor. Turn it all the way down and see if that helps.

Return to “General Gear”