New Waldorf 8 Voice Hybrid Poly

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Sounds From The Shed
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Sounds From The Shed » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:52 am

nolongerhuman wrote:
Sounds From The Shed wrote:Don Solaris was responsible for a large amount of the Quantums presets and if anything they will get worse.

As for the Dsi Xl, if you base your sound preferences on samples , wether from 8dio or spitfire you're going to be disappointed.

As I said make your own sounds because Solaris et all will just give you fx drenched shite!

The main thing to remember is that the amount you spend on a synth does not equate to the output. It’s about the effort you put in and how you use it.
Don Solaris had nothing to do with the presets shipped with the Quantum. He only recently even started working on them, and they are being designed with the new OS in mind. So your statement is completely wrong.

As for the Prophet X, beyond the samples there is an exceedingly simplistic but wonderful sounding digital oscillator section with only basic waves. So, the samples inside the synth (and what you may or may not load of your own) are the definition of the synths sound. The sample manipulation and editing on the Prophet X is vastly inferior and almost surprisingly limited compared to the Quantum in every conceivable way except perhaps in ease of use owing in large part to the fact that there are so many less options on the Prophet X.

As for the "drenched in FX" concept, well, the vast, vast majority of the Prophet X presets lean heavily into the FX, and the vast, vast majority of the samples provided by 8dio are also lacquered in FX, so, technically you are hearing sounds in many cases far more dependent on FX than you seem to think.

Also somewhat irritatingly (to me), the content of the Prophet X inbuilt 8dio library is not exclusive to it. The exact same samples are used in multiple 8dio Kontakt libraries, many of which I already own. I was disheartened to realize that I had access to about 1/3 of the raw sound material already by virtue of the fact that I own a handful of 8dio Kontact sets.

It has literally zero to do with the cost of the synth, except as I pointed out that a Virus purchase would likely leave OP in a position to buy additional gear to make up for the lack of filters or orchestral sounds.

To be clear, the Prophet X is a seriously amazing synth. I love the thing, as I do almost everything Dave Smith has made. It was and is let down by the 8dio collaboration, and if sheer workhorse level synth and flexibility in sound design is the goal, I wouldn't look to it as my only synth.
Sorry I had Waldorf in general in mind, ie Blofeld etc. So clarifying my mistake, I still stand by my comment re the poor quality of his previous output(harsh but true) and hence expect more fx drenched dross, who uses presets anyway? Why spend all that money on a synth with a ton of sound design options to try and fit a square block in a round hole by using "Show House" sounds?

Quick edit as reading my reply it sounds a bit gung ho, I'm just trying to say you're better making what works for you :) Presets are like buying a box of Lego have someone build it and hand it over to you, what's the point in that?

Divinital

Post by Divinital » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:27 am

Sounds From The Shed wrote:
nolongerhuman wrote:
Sounds From The Shed wrote:Don Solaris was responsible for a large amount of the Quantums presets and if anything they will get worse.

As for the Dsi Xl, if you base your sound preferences on samples , wether from 8dio or spitfire you're going to be disappointed.

As I said make your own sounds because Solaris et all will just give you fx drenched shite!

The main thing to remember is that the amount you spend on a synth does not equate to the output. It’s about the effort you put in and how you use it.
Don Solaris had nothing to do with the presets shipped with the Quantum. He only recently even started working on them, and they are being designed with the new OS in mind. So your statement is completely wrong.

As for the Prophet X, beyond the samples there is an exceedingly simplistic but wonderful sounding digital oscillator section with only basic waves. So, the samples inside the synth (and what you may or may not load of your own) are the definition of the synths sound. The sample manipulation and editing on the Prophet X is vastly inferior and almost surprisingly limited compared to the Quantum in every conceivable way except perhaps in ease of use owing in large part to the fact that there are so many less options on the Prophet X.

As for the "drenched in FX" concept, well, the vast, vast majority of the Prophet X presets lean heavily into the FX, and the vast, vast majority of the samples provided by 8dio are also lacquered in FX, so, technically you are hearing sounds in many cases far more dependent on FX than you seem to think.

Also somewhat irritatingly (to me), the content of the Prophet X inbuilt 8dio library is not exclusive to it. The exact same samples are used in multiple 8dio Kontakt libraries, many of which I already own. I was disheartened to realize that I had access to about 1/3 of the raw sound material already by virtue of the fact that I own a handful of 8dio Kontact sets.

It has literally zero to do with the cost of the synth, except as I pointed out that a Virus purchase would likely leave OP in a position to buy additional gear to make up for the lack of filters or orchestral sounds.

To be clear, the Prophet X is a seriously amazing synth. I love the thing, as I do almost everything Dave Smith has made. It was and is let down by the 8dio collaboration, and if sheer workhorse level synth and flexibility in sound design is the goal, I wouldn't look to it as my only synth.
Sorry I had Waldorf in general in mind, ie Blofeld etc. So clarifying my mistake, I still stand by my comment re the poor quality of his previous output(harsh but true) and hence expect more fx drenched dross, who uses presets anyway? Why spend all that money on a synth with a ton of sound design options to try and fit a square block in a round hole by using "Show House" sounds?

Quick edit as reading my reply it sounds a bit gung ho, I'm just trying to say you're better making what works for you :) Presets are like buying a box of Lego have someone build it and hand it over to you, what's the point in that?
You're one of those that just types/speaks to listen to themselves and nothing can ever change your mind. Why bother commenting nothing of substance?

Sounds From The Shed
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Sounds From The Shed » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:05 am

You're one of those that just types/speaks to listen to themselves and nothing can ever change your mind. Why bother commenting nothing of substance

What are you on about?
Last edited by Sounds From The Shed on Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mome rath
a dubious cube of margarine

Post by mome rath » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:20 pm

let's not trash this thread, my dudes
soundcloud, dear friends

good trader cred
instagraM
guest wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:45 pm
basically, as the dude put it "no walter, youre not wrong, youre just an asshole".
zoogoo wrote: your stupid

tehyar
I dream in SciFi

Post by tehyar » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:22 pm

Sounds From The Shed wrote:... Presets are like buying a box of Lego have someone build it and hand it over to you, what's the point in that?
Maybe that analogy works for a sound designer using modular, but not on a synth like this.

A lot of people like to poke around in presets, find one that's intriguing, and start tweaking from there. If you still turn your nose up at this, let me tell you a little secret that'll blow your mind. When you initialize a preset, that's also a preset. Someone had to program into the synth what all the settings would be for an initialized preset. In essence, you're doing the same thing, you're just always starting from the same preset.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:59 pm

tehyar wrote:
Sounds From The Shed wrote:... Presets are like buying a box of Lego have someone build it and hand it over to you, what's the point in that?
Maybe that analogy works for a sound designer using modular, but not on a synth like this.

A lot of people like to poke around in presets, find one that's intriguing, and start tweaking from there. If you still turn your nose up at this, let me tell you a little secret that'll blow your mind. When you initialize a preset, that's also a preset. Someone had to program into the synth what all the settings would be for an initialized preset. In essence, you're doing the same thing, you're just always starting from the same preset.
Ha, and not all init presets are equal. It would be nice if you could tweak an init preset to your liking and then save that as the new init. Very off topic though! Ha, every time this thread comes up I start thinking about what body parts or unused synths (body parts are more likely) I can sell to fund this. I'm still holding out a bit to ensure stability and lack of issues. Anyone have any buyer's remorse or find any major issues with theirs? The stereo pathway was recently brought up. I need to read up on that.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:02 pm

BTW for those looking at the Prophet X as a ROMpler it is very far from that. That samples are just a starting point. There are so many ways to tweak the sound. And the modulation options are plentiful to me. Even as a subtractive synth I find it very capable. Having this and a One really makes me less inclined to purchase the Quantum. That and my credit card balance haha. I know the overlap in terms of architecture etc is non-existent. But role it would play for me, I feel like the X covers. That may make no sense to others, but it does to me. Unless I rationalize myself into buying one.

Divinital

Post by Divinital » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:28 pm

I'd personally get one or the other, I think they do overlap in terms of overall usage, perhaps not sound, but usage as a whole. For me I'm going Quantum coupled with the One.

Sounds From The Shed
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Sounds From The Shed » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:38 am

Divinital wrote:I'd personally get one or the other, I think they do overlap in terms of overall usage, perhaps not sound, but usage as a whole. For me I'm going Quantum coupled with the One.
Good point :)
Last edited by Sounds From The Shed on Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sounds From The Shed
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Sounds From The Shed » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:48 am

tehyar wrote:

Let me let you into a secret that will totally blow your mind, you can create your own init patches! :hihi: :tu:

mome rath

Post by mome rath » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:06 am

has anyone had any touch screen issues? mine has a dead corner, where LFO6 should be accessible (upper right)

I had found a workaround for that so wasn't bothered, but it precludes OS updates!

:cry:
soundcloud, dear friends

good trader cred
instagraM
guest wrote:
basically, as the dude put it "no walter, youre not wrong, youre just an asshole".

tehyar
I dream in SciFi

Post by tehyar » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:19 am

Ouch, no, nothing like that. I’ve only had issues getting lists to scroll, it’s really frustrating. It’s not reliably sensing the continuous finger drag or something.

tehyar
I dream in SciFi

Post by tehyar » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:40 am

According to Waldorf’s faq, Yes, you can carry it by the bar. Anyone actually had the nerve to do that yet?

I’m anticipating a youtuber getting massive flaming for posting a video doing curl reps with a Quantum. :hihi:

mome rath

Post by mome rath » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:50 am

tehyar wrote:According to Waldorf’s faq, Yes, you can carry it by the bar. Anyone actually had the nerve to do that yet?

I’m anticipating a youtuber getting massive flaming for posting a video doing curl reps with a Quantum. :hihi:
I've carried it by the bar; no big deal
soundcloud, dear friends

good trader cred
instagraM
guest wrote:

kinkujin
Common Wiggler

Post by kinkujin » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:39 am

tehyar wrote:

Yes! You are describing me. I find presets stimulate song ideas. Sometimes I play a preset and I’m off and running. Rarely does this happen with init.

Different muscles I know, but I’m shite with sound design.

Tajnost
Common Wiggler

Post by Tajnost » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:41 am

A couple of questions for quantum users:

How long does it takes to load a preset? Is there something like a seamless mode for switching between sounds in live situation?

Since Quantum has multisample engine, how uploading is organized: can you just open folder with your own sounds and set each sample to their notes? Set looppoints? Is there any hidden problems with making multisample libs play nice and smooth? Is it possible to extract sounds from some types of commercial or free libs (Kontakt?Sample tank?) and import to Q?

Finally, any problems with freezing and reliability?

Thanks in advance for sharing thoughts!

tehyar
I dream in SciFi

Post by tehyar » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:35 am

Definitely not seamless. It’s fraction of a second fast, but I have gotten digital bursts or artifacts from the effects when transitioning while it’s still making noise.

Can’t speak to the second question.

Haven’t had any reliability issues, other then the touchscreen not having exactly the most precise sensitivity.

pelican
Veteran Wiggler

Post by pelican » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:45 am

Depends on if there’s samples in the patch. If not prob less than 2 seconds loading samples a couple more
WTB: Yamaha dx-11 manual

tehyar
I dream in SciFi

Post by tehyar » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:51 am

pelican wrote:Depends on if there’s samples in the patch. If not prob less than 2 seconds loading samples a couple more
Right, ok I do remember there are some slower ones. I’ve been screwing around with more basic oscs and such for weeks to get to know it, forgot about that.

tehyar
I dream in SciFi

Post by tehyar » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:40 am

What the...

https://waldorfmusic.com/en/hardware-sy ... tum-shadow

Btw any chance the op or a mod could add the word Quantum to the thread title? Pita to find this one.

tehyar
I dream in SciFi

Post by tehyar » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:44 am

Lol I just refreshed the page, I’d had it in the browser from when I got the email last night. They’re sold out. That’s damn fast for that much extra money.

rowsbywoof
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rowsbywoof » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:50 pm

LOL. Flippers gonna flip. Unlike previous Shadow editions, this one felt really lazy to me. The Sledge’s black on black keyboard? Really? At least the XT and Qs got a whole new paint job. Oh well. I think this one turned me off from the whole, “future collector’s item” text in the email. Seemed too self aware for me that this was just eBay/Reverb candy to resell.

estin
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by estin » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:48 am

I like the look of the V2 Sledge and those old reverse key Nords were cool too.

tehyar
I dream in SciFi

Re: New Waldorf 8 Voice Hybrid Poly

Post by tehyar » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:21 pm

Anyone tried the new OS yet?

joey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: New Waldorf 8 Voice Hybrid Poly

Post by joey » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:19 am

just got one, the kernel stuff is pretty amazing, immediately got some DX like tones out of it. I haven't tried any of the other things (wavetable kernels etc) but that's next on the list.

what a sick machine!

Return to “General Gear”