Modern keepers!

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:14 am

mousegarden wrote:
a100user wrote:A&H QU-24 - this has replaced my MOTU & M-Audio racks as the main interface and I'm still finding new ways to use it.

BugBrand modular - goes without saying

Some of of 4U modules will always stay with me

and lastly the Phenol - a wonderful mini modular in a box
Very tempted by a QU-24, but got put off by others opinions, be interested to hear how it works out for you.
Also me, but it's very expensive where I live.

mousegarden
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mousegarden » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:32 am

dubonaire wrote:
mousegarden wrote:
a100user wrote:A&H QU-24 - this has replaced my MOTU & M-Audio racks as the main interface and I'm still finding new ways to use it.

Very tempted by a QU-24, but got put off by others opinions, be interested to hear how it works out for you.
Also me, but it's very expensive where I live.
What attracts you about it? I'm thinking of a QU-16 as it would consolidate a lot of other gear, all of my outboard, my interface, and recorder.

vromr
Common Wiggler

Post by vromr » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:08 am

tIB wrote:I learn from selling stuff and then having to buy it back...
Getting to understand this was my biggest leap last year. Only when I miss something do I make dramatic compensations for it. And that’s when I’m really ready to own it.

Josef_K
Common Wiggler

Post by Josef_K » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:28 am

Moog Moogerfooger MF-103 12 Stage Phaser

Damn fine piece of equipment, bought it ages ago when I was trying to be Jon Lord, for those moments when I was not really him I guess. Wonderful for organ, clavinet, rhodes and later on solina, mellotron and synths, mono- and polyphonic. I also made a song based on layers of self-oscillating MF-103 and saw a cool video from Hainbach making a sweet drum set out of it. I'll never sell mine.

Vermona Retroverb Lancet

This was an impulse buy and I seriously doubted I would keep it. While not as essential as the Moogerfooger, today I doubt I'll ever sell it. The reverb sounds great, the distortion is often my best choice for synths and more, and the filter is incredible. It's a great final output box for my modular at the moment, as well as a useful send effect from Cubase whenever I want spring reverb, distortion and/or creative filtering.

Bionecteur
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bionecteur » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:02 am

For me:

Avalon

Metropolis/Atlantis

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:10 am

vromr wrote:
Getting to understand this was my biggest leap last year. Only when I miss something do I make dramatic compensations for it. And that’s when I’m really ready to own it.
Sounds like a bit of a time waster, having to buy, sell, miss and buy again to be able to like a piece of kit. :)
New modular track! My first in six months. :party: Messy and unglued.

ObsoleteModular
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ObsoleteModular » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:01 pm

lisa wrote:
vromr wrote:
Sounds like a bit of a time waster, having to buy, sell, miss and buy again to be able to like a piece of kit. :)
The only things I've ever bought back I've sold again sooner or later!

Though to be fair I sell everything sooner or later :mrgreen:

teamhobson
Common Wiggler

Post by teamhobson » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:41 pm

Morphagene - instant sonic gratification

Still in the honeymoon stage with the Machinedrum and Monomachine but I am currently smitten.

peripatitis

Post by peripatitis » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:19 pm

Nord wave

BTG
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BTG » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:44 pm

Cirklon
Cwejman s1 mk2
OTO Biscuit
Avalon Bassline
Spacecase Tape Echo TE-1
Retromechanical Labs Electron Fuzz Custom - have had four of them at different times

crb1
Learning to Wiggle

Post by crb1 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:35 am

Definite Keepers:
DSI Pro 2
DSI OB6
Elektron Analog Keys
Strymon Big Sky
Strymon Timeline

Sold and don’t regret:
Moog Subsequent 37

Sold and deeply regret:
Elektron Digitakt (Will buy another and never sell)

gentle_attack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gentle_attack » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:38 am

BTG wrote:Cirklon
Cwejman s1 mk2
OTO Biscuit
Avalon Bassline
Spacecase Tape Echo TE-1
Retromechanical Labs Electron Fuzz Custom - have had four of them at different times
Calling the s1 a 'keeper' whilst trying to sell it at 3x the msrp is the epitome of
:75: :75: :75: :75: :75: :deadbanana: :omg: :tu: :despair: :doh: :bananaguitar: :party: :goo: :hihi: :miley: :bang: :hail: :omg: :nana: :banana: :sadbanana:
Control Skiff ||Big Case || cv.ocd || TT303v2 || Manther || OP-1 OP-Lab|| Octatrack Digitone RYTM || BX-8 BX-16 || Monologue KP3+

SweetNuthin
Learning to Wiggle

Post by SweetNuthin » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:39 am

DSI Pro 2
Dreadbox Erebus (V2 or 3 it doesn't really matter)
Noise Engineering Basimilus Iteritas Alter
Eventide Space

i would also say the Dreadbox Abyss, which i have and have a Love/Hate relationship with it but i cannot sell it because it has something that not a lot of modern poly have

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:52 am

Well it’s been a couple of years so I thought I’d update my list...

Indeed the ob-6 was a keeper, still love it for it simplicity and sound.

Still have the Machinedrum still love it, still feel there is so much unexplored

Still got BS2, although I might let it go once I get my hands on the Berg ARP.

Atlantis I would add, had it for longer than most of the stuff I’ve listed.

Op-z , it’s just so much fun, not just a a sketch pad imo, I love the loft verb and delay, some of the synths are decent , although everything can sound a little small.
The sequencer is the most fun I’ve used and really teaches you to experiment, even more so than elektrons imo.

In fact the op-z has taught me just how good the Elektron sequencers can be.

Macro tricks like on the op-z should be elektrons focus if you ask me. Macroing commonly used seq tricks would be fun to abuse!
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

jdaddyaz
Common Wiggler

Post by jdaddyaz » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:29 pm

Digitakt- This little box is just so versatile that I'm still wrapping my head around all the options it provides. I held off on getting one for a bit as on paper, the sound would seem to be it's biggest negative (being mono and all), but was pleasantly surprised when I plugged it in and gave it a go. Sounds so warm, and articulate.

Plaits- I don't know why, but I love the chord sound on this little thing. I run it through clouds and a Dreadbox vca, which provides me with all kinds of great little sounds. In fact, the chord sound was the main reason I picked it up. Loved the sound of it in VCV rack, and felt that I just needed to pick it up. Saw a great deal on one across seas, and scooped it up. Another bit of hardware that I'm still sifting through, and figuring out how to get the most from it.

calaveras
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by calaveras » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:53 pm

MachineDrum, replaced several other drum machines, sounds better and is easier to use. Honestly I use pretty vanilla sounds for the core kit of kick snare and hat. But I get wild with a half dozen other tracks though.
Still doesn't replace the clap sound on teh KPR77 though!

The OB6 will never leave me either. Though lately the MIDI side has been flaky, it sounds too good not to use it on everything. Twice.

Moog Taurus III, it's simple, kind of obnoxious in some of the design choices, but kicks ass on bass duties. Also, playing with your feet is fun.

Korg Volcas; Bought all of them. Sold all of them. In hindsight I could have used them like mini modules. Sequencing them from the MD. But I just found it infuriating that there is only a pattern mode, no song mode. With memory, storage and CPU cycles being so cheap, having a song mode would add no cost to making the unit. It just crippled the potential of the Volcas IMHO. Besides, they only sound good, not great.

Hyberus
Common Wiggler

Post by Hyberus » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:29 pm

Mutable Instruments Elements. Fell in love with it when I first saw the demo video, ordered one, used it on a gig the day it arrived. Will never get rid.
Random is the new maRnod

Hyberus
Common Wiggler

Post by Hyberus » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:32 pm

mousegarden wrote:

I've got a QU 32. It's a great desk, and very intuitive, but I don't use it as an interface because it only does digital at 48K, and I work at 44.1.
Random is the new maRnod

rean1mator
Wiggling with Experience

Post by rean1mator » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:39 pm

Lol, it's only 1.7x! haha. but you do have a good point otherwise.

Another 150 S1's coming into the wild as i type, probably all spoken for at this point but I hear some are coming to retailers.

Just got mine and will say it's a keeper! errr... unless I can get 3x the msrp for it!!

gentle_attack wrote:
BTG wrote:Cirklon
Cwejman s1 mk2
OTO Biscuit
Avalon Bassline
Spacecase Tape Echo TE-1
Calling the s1 a 'keeper' whilst trying to sell it at 3x the msrp is the epitome of
:75: :75: :75: :75: :75: :deadbanana: :omg: :tu: :despair: :doh: :bananaguitar: :party: :goo: :hihi: :miley: :bang: :hail: :omg: :nana: :banana: :sadbanana:

UndercoverBrother
Common Wiggler

Post by UndercoverBrother » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:44 pm

The units I've kept for the longest so far, and that I doubt I'll let them go:

-Elektron Analog four: It can do so much ! Kind of suffers from the depth of its synthesis capabilities, ultra versatile so it's hard to find "character"in it, but in the end you can make it sound so good in so many ways, from classic analog (plus it's a GREAT drum machine) to experimental stuff. Plus the FX track and CV sequencing. It's always useful in a way or another.

-Elektron Analog HEAT: some modes are pretty unusable to me but it's still pretty useful and present in everything I do at some point in the chain. And it definitely holds up to its name.

-SOMA Lyra-8: it just has the mojo, wonderful machine

- Nozoid MMO-3 and OCS-2: still struggling with how to exactly make them shine in my music but they have something unique, plus are extremely deep. Love them

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:18 pm

Modern Keepers:
Elektron Machinedrum UW+
Novation Bass Station ii
Last edited by Red Electric Rainbow on Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
TOO FAR GONE

VM
Common Wiggler

Post by VM » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:57 am

Hate to lower the tone substantially - especially on my first post here, but...

I'll be hanging onto my Minilogue for a while. It's versatile, easy to use, fairly deep functionality, and I can schlep it from gig to gig without being overly concerned about damaging it. For the price I still think it's one of the best modern synths in it's class.

I do a lot of collaborative improv stuff with other synth players, and there is always something the minilogue can contribute in those settings. Solid.

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:16 am

VM wrote:Hate to lower the tone substantially - especially on my first post here, but...

I'll be hanging onto my Minilogue for a while.
Minilogue is sick. Definitely a beast, especially at its price range. Seen em used for under $200 already.
TOO FAR GONE

1040df
Learning to Wiggle

Post by 1040df » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:04 pm

Machinedrum SPS-1 UW MKII +
Dave Smith Instruments Pro 2
Last edited by 1040df on Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chvad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chvad » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:24 pm

this is hard for me a I rarely keep anything it seems. my vermona 14 isnt going anywhere i think. ive said a million times im keeping or loving a thing but it seems as times change so does my array of gear. i have stuff i like and want to keep but when thinking about it... nothing has been sacred in my setup. my guitars tend to have the longest hang time.

Return to “General Gear”