Modern keepers!

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

22tape
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Modern keepers!

Post by 22tape » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:59 pm

Deluge.

It's pretty much already a classic since it's the first sampler to combine these functions--

unlimited tracks
sd card streaming/no ram issues
proper song-mode
no cutting of fx tails when switching patterns

I can now experiment, bounce, and complete a track in one box :cloud: 9

And the fact that it's developed into a

full-fledged looper
Provider of USB power
Waveform viewer
Onboard querty keyboard
Audio clips, etc, etc...

None of which I ever expected, and came longer after I spent my money. Pretty damn cool.

If we're talking Euro--

ADDAC FM Radio
MI Rings
Schippmann VCF-2
Metasonix R-56
T-Rex Tape Delay
Insruo Scion

stimresp
Common Wiggler

Post by stimresp » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:11 pm

I've had my DSI Pro-2 for nearly 5 years and I play it every day. It's a wonderful instrument, I'll never let it go.

nashsnazzy
Common Wiggler

Post by nashsnazzy » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:02 am

For me, the modern keepers are far and few between, but here goes.

Keepers:

- Korg ER-1 , I bought it used last year so hopefully that counts.
- Korg ARP 2600, Too soon? I haven't used it yet but I'm certain it's a keeper based on the prices of vintage units and the claimed ease of use.
- Korg Minilogue XD, I love this little board. The sequencer with four lanes of motion sequencing is fun for noodling, the filter overdrives in the most wonderful way, the VCO mixer sounds great and let's you softly clip the VCOs.
- Moog Sub Phatty - I love this mono synth. The VCOs sound great, the mixer sounds great as does the overdrive circuit, the interface is fun to use, and the hidden filter modes let you get into some less aggressive territory that I LOVE. It does have to hide in the closet so the UV doesn't damage the keys, but oh well.

Here are some honorable mentions that I'm not sure about yet.

- Elektron Rytm MKII - I still haven't figured out the best way to get dynamic analog percussion into the sampler. But the feature set is super fun and I love the Elektron sequencer. Also, I love the pads and the larger interface, it's like a grown up Digitakt.
- Korg Prologue 16 - I haven't spent enough time with this one, perhaps it will go in favor of a vintage poly.
- Eurorack - I'm thought Eurorack was the be all end all of synthesis but I hate the ergonomics of it. Time will tell if it hangs out in my studio past 2020. If it does it will likely be full of synth voices, such as the SSF Entity and the Studio Electronics Tonestar 8106. If Mr Doepfer releases Eurorack Standard 2.0, with an eye to standardize ergos and layouts, then perhaps I'll become a full convert.

unclebastard
Common Wiggler

Post by unclebastard » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:02 am

nashsnazzy wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:02 am
- Eurorack - I'm thought Eurorack was the be all end all of synthesis but I hate the ergonomics of it. Time will tell if it hangs out in my studio past 2020. If it does it will likely be full of synth voices, such as the SSF Entity and the Studio Electronics Tonestar 8106. If Mr Doepfer releases Eurorack Standard 2.0, with an eye to standardize ergos and layouts, then perhaps I'll become a full convert.
Try the Tonestar 2600. A fantastic and versatile beast of a synth voice.
Good deals with: Eremitalf, ben_hex, matttech, Elevator Sound

tron23
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tron23 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:53 pm

khyber wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:36 am
Agree with a lot of what other people have listed. To add:

Make Noise Phonogene
Nord Rack 2
Roland JV 1080
Roland SH01-A
Those were also standards back in the day. Great list. :guinness:

msegarra
Wiggling with Experience

Post by msegarra » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:12 pm

Retrospectively the minitaur which I sold like an idiot

Kattefjaes
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:55 am

Probably my Digitakt. It's frustrating yet inspiring, limited yet deep- and it sounds great. It's a fantastic little machine.

aokjoey0
Common Wiggler

Post by aokjoey0 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:59 am

Also, ignoring modules... Beat Step Pro. For me very intuitive and fun.
Joe Nastasi aka Apogee Kick!
Musician
Ultralight and Light Sport Aviator
My YouTube Channel
http://soundcloud.com/apogee-kick/unrea ... s-con-brio

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:59 am

real keepers,........*really* long term ?
Nothing !
with the exeption of the Pianoteq Software ( modelled piano), ( thats a livetime keeper ! )
plus my modular.......which is in fact not "one Thing".......but a ever changing one.

well, i won´t sell:
my MPC1K w. JJOS
OTO Biscuit
Bastl Thyme ( at least one out of two )

long time residenters, much likely:
Digitakt !.........just alone as a sequenzer for my moudular ( with a FH-2 (expanded) )
Octatrack mkII is debatable. Since i put two delays behind it ( and routed back in) is it like a entirely new thing for me.
But the OT goes as soon something newer hits the market that can hold up "on all" the important features.
also: my Novation Launch Control XL controllers. ( have three in total)

DIVINEAUDIO
Common Wiggler

Post by DIVINEAUDIO » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:47 pm

0-coast and Digitakt for me. Fell in love with the 0-coast the first moment I played one, and I have yet to find a better sequencer than The Digitakt.

Modular bits come and go, but my Wasp Filter and Mutant Brain will the last things to leave my case.

Jaypee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:46 am

Cirklon
Ob-6
Prophet-6
Mungo d0
Schipmann omega phi II
Cwejman Mmf1-s
"Those aren't your daddy's waveforms " Cynthia Webster

albiedamned
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by albiedamned » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:28 am

• Peak I literally just unboxed this yesterday, but I've lusted after it for so long and watched and read so much about it that I'm certain this is a keeper.
  • Boomstar 5089 This nails the Moog sound in a very convenient form factor. I love its immediacy. I sold my Little Phatty after I got this.
  • Keystep It's just the perfect controller for modular and desktop synths.
  • Metasonix R53 and R54 Metasonix modules are the original reason I got into modular. There's nothing else like them.
  • Wogglebug I use it in every patch, and it's usually the first thing I reach for when I need a modulation source. I'm thinking of getting a second one.
  • Pamela's New Workout It's way more than a clock divider. It's a syncable LFO, enveloper generator, random source, and rhythm generator. Times eight.
Stuff I did by myself: https://soundcloud.com/albiedamned21133
Stuff I did with my pretend band: https://soundcloud.com/borisandnatasha

Tun
Common Wiggler

Post by Tun » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:19 am

Digitone - sounds great.

tuj
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tuj » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:59 am

I've went through a lot over the years... I started getting gear around '97 and while I haven't sold much of it, and even put almost all of it up for sale last December, I'm still holding on to these pieces:
  • * Kawai K5000
    * Circuit-bent XD-5 with patchbay
    * Machinedrum UW MKII
    * RYTM MKII (vastly under-rated)
    * Monomachine
I don't really care what they are 'worth' in terms of market value, nor do a care about rarity, although that will be increasing for virtually everything we're all talking about here, but I value them for what they do; how they sound. There's a lot of Elektron stuff there and there's something about the sounds that's just so useful and immediate in making electronic music.

All of the above are special to me. Others I think people should consider and I've maybe had but sold:
  • * FS1R
    * Fizmo
    * OP-1
    * Analog4 maybe..
    * TX81Z
    * Sony rack anything (DPS-55, F7, R7, D7, etc..)
    * PCM90/91
    * H3000
    * Electrix units (all)
In euro, it would be the Livewire stuff I have. Just love it all, even though it's not the most feature-packed or slimmest or newest.

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:49 pm

albiedamned wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:28 am
  • Peak I literally just unboxed this yesterday, but I've lusted after it for so long and watched and read so much about it that I'm certain this is a keeper.
  • Boomstar 5089 This nails the Moog sound in a very convenient form factor. I love its immediacy. I sold my Little Phatty after I got this.
  • Metasonix R53 and R54 Metasonix modules are the original reason I got into modular. There's nothing else like them.
  • Wogglebug I use it in every patch, and it's usually the first thing I reach for when I need a modulation source. I'm thinking of getting a second one.
  • Pamela's New Workout It's way more than a clock divider. It's a syncable LFO, enveloper generator, random source, and rhythm generator. Times eight.
Is their any real reason to pay extra for the Boomstar 5089 mk2?
I criticize by creation and by finding fault

“No more alcohol
It's a Kool-aid substitute”

albiedamned
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by albiedamned » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:09 pm

onthebandwagon wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:49 pm
albiedamned wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:28 am
Is their any real reason to pay extra for the Boomstar 5089 mk2?
That's subjective. In addition to cosmetic changes, SE says they increased headroom and changed the feedback circuit. I don't have an MK2 so I can't compare.
Stuff I did by myself: https://soundcloud.com/albiedamned21133
Stuff I did with my pretend band: https://soundcloud.com/borisandnatasha

pmboos
Veteran Wiggler

Post by pmboos » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:14 pm

Great idea for a thread...

My Modern Keepers:

VolcaFM - I use it regularly with the band I play with as well as
The Yamaha Reface CP - yeah I fuckin' don't care if it is mini-keys and looks silly on stage, it sounds so sweet and for a couple of our bands originals, it rocks (I use the Easter Egg Grand a lot too)

OK now onto the more modular-ish stuff...

Plankton Electronics Ants! - so many patch points, so versatile, that's its uniqueness
Rare Waves Grendel Genadier RA-9 - I love the drones I can get out of this thing; it led me to buy an RA-99 to go along with it
Rare Waves Hydronium - beautiful bass acid machine with its own character
Chamber of Sounds - Jupiter III J3DX, a really limited, but unique sound
eoWave Quadrantid Swarm - this is a super unique soundscape machine as well as great for some nifty deep baselines; the built-in spring reverb is super awesome; the two filters also kick butt
Dreadbox Erebus v3 - I totally get why people love the Dreadbox sound; everything about this synth is warm approachable, and interesting
Pittsburgh Modular Micovolt 3900 - I love the character on this one, from soft and mellow to a lot of aggressiveness (Wave Folder FTW)
Make Noise 0-Coast - I really like the approach in this one

Cellz from the Nifty Bundle as well as the Nifty Case. Chipz I am going to play around with for a bit and maybe I'll change my mind, but I think I will eventually replace it as an oscillator source.

I'll also go out and say it while I wait on it to arrive - to add to the RA-99 which is shipping to me tomorrow (\0/ay), I am pretty certain the Analogue Solutions Impulse Command will also be a keeper.
Last edited by pmboos on Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---
“What actions can be taken to create a joyful, inspiring, and productive work environment?"

Licudi
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Licudi » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:29 pm

Most of my gear dates back to the 1980s, but of my more modern stuff I’d say my White Lines Splash and Echo modules are keepers; space-hogs for sure, but they have real character. Not sure Dreadbox had much to do with the Splash, but they tweaked the Echo’s PT2399 nicely.

Other than that, maybe my Mother-32 three-tier. Although the HPF and EG are poor, they're fixable, and playing the synths as one self-contained Moog is very different to conventional keyboards. Seat of your pants stuff.

pmboos
Veteran Wiggler

Post by pmboos » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:41 pm

I'm just realizing I didn't cover two keyboards I have gotten and none of my sequencers...

Korg Minilogue (not the XD, but I bought it about 3 years ago) - it's a great synth it has a lot it can do and it sounds beautiful. I do wish it was 61 keys sometimes.
Arturia Microfreak - this feels like the modern EDP Wasp, not because it is like a Wasp, but because it has a keyboard that operates in a unique way like the Wasp I always wanted...

For sequencers, I liked the SQ-1 so much I bought another... I also love my Twisted Electrons Crazy 8 and Future Retro Orb. The Keystep is nice, but I think the new Keystep Pro will be my go-to when I get it...
---
“What actions can be taken to create a joyful, inspiring, and productive work environment?"

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:34 am

I have both the original Nord Modular and the G2 Modular and I still patch & play both of these synths way more than any of the others.

Kja
Common Wiggler

Post by Kja » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:21 am

My two true keepers are my artisan trentasette and my opz.. those two are the only ones I have connected with on a deep level like they are a part of me..
Some that I love and are great instruments are the prophet 6, the Microvolt, digitakt, and the new stylophone thing.. I really love all of those and they each have a special personality.

kinkujin
Wiggling with Experience

Post by kinkujin » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:42 am

Volcas for me (in the 'modern' category). I've got several and got most of them lightly used. I can take them to any room in the house and work with them. They are tremendous fun and though, so far, I haven't done any recording with them I plan to change that soon when I get the little mixer i've been needing.

Won't sell any of them, in fact, still want the Volca FM. No sense selling them anyhow as they are so gratifying and don't fetch big prices, used used.
I have: Beats, Keys, Bass, Drum, Kick and Modular. Haven't cracked the box on the Modular yet.

zaphod betamax
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zaphod betamax » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:38 am

-Vermona 14 for Mono duties
Vermona perFOURmer for mono/poly
2 Dreadbox Abyss for mono/poly

msegarra
Wiggling with Experience

Post by msegarra » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:44 am

For me I’d say the moog grandmother is my current keeper just wish the mixer had on more channel or another oscillator lol

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:48 am

Sequential Pro-3
TOO FAR GONE

Return to “General Gear”