Reon driftbox J

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Devo-lution
Learning to Wiggle

Reon driftbox J

Post by Devo-lution » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:16 am

Hi all,

Usually I'm pretty good at ignoring gear acquisition syndrome, but today I gave in.

I came across a driftbox J ("Joystic") while in Osaka and it seemed cheap. It also didn't help that I'm looking for a eurorack joystick

The manual is in Japanese, but I think it does the following things:
- dual joystick
- dual vca
- quantizing
- sequence recording

My Japanese is pretty basic, so I'll probably try to translate the manual when I get home.

Anyone have any experience with this one? I'm really curious to check it out.

Thank you so much in advance!

All the best!

Kim

peachfuzzmcgee
Wiggling with Experience

Post by peachfuzzmcgee » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:05 am

I forget how to use it, but I love all the Driftbox stuff. It's a dual vca that is controlled by the joysticks but also a 16 step sequencer for the VCA's. I remember it also saves the sequencer states I think. It's really fun honestly all the driftbox stuff is fun and under represented due to the difficulty finding anything but the regular Driftbox R which I think is the worse one of the bunch honestly.

I have a Driftbox SE, and I wanna get the Driftbox R _Midi_. I also kinda want to get the newer Driftbox W because it's fucking really interesting five joystick drone synth thing. I will extol the virtues of the driftbox after owning mine for a year. Longer than any synth I've owned previously

geremyf
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by geremyf » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:53 pm

Where can driftboxes be procured in the USA?

peachfuzzmcgee
Wiggling with Experience

Post by peachfuzzmcgee » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:30 pm

geremyf wrote:Where can driftboxes be procured in the USA?
The whole line? Import only essentially. You can get the non midi driftbox R from perfect circuit I think, but honestly that one is lame. Doesnt have as many options nor as quirky as many the other ones.

I think you can import from ishibashi music, maybe also ikebe gakki

dan_k
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dan_k » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:05 am

Yeah I think Perfect Circuit is the North American distributor but selection is slim.

If you contact Implant 4 in Osaka they can probably sell you stuff. They're English isn't great and done via google translate so keep it simple but they're friendly and helpful.

MATSmile
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MATSmile » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:14 am

All models are available on ebay

peachfuzzmcgee
Wiggling with Experience

Post by peachfuzzmcgee » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:31 am

MATSmile wrote:All models are available on ebay
yeah but at a ridiculous mark up. They have a driftbox R MIDI for like 700 bucks plus shipping and I think the same goes for the W which is like close to 800 for some shit reason. Even considering exchange rate, its still too expensive considering that Ishibashi and Ikebe Gakki will ship international if you pay more that 500 with paypal. Shipping will be anywhere between 20-50 bucks maybe even less sometimes honestly. For the US I don't think there is any charges for things under 800 bucks too.

Yeah talk to the guys at Implant4, Im lucky that my partner is Japanese and helps me contact them when I need anything. I also go to Japan often enough to go pick em up. If you keep it simple they will be able to get something to you though for sure.

I wish Driftboxes would become more poular here because some of them are great for connecting with the modular, and my Driftbox SE isn't just a noise machine, I can get some really nice ambient pads with the 4 note paraphony. It can get really interesting when you sample it. It's nice pleasing but can get really nasty if needed. It also has a gate out, gate in, two cv in's, and two cv outs. The driftbox R Midi also can do Midi to CV. It's analog with two note paraphony

Devo-lution
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Devo-lution » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:56 am

いいですね!Nice!

Then it seems I got a pretty good deal. I ended up paying around 30.000 yen for the driftbox J and didn't have to declare it to customs.

Also, it was a good practice in Japanese :p (two years of evening classes, kana, very limited kanji). The store was called musicland or musicland KEY and is situated in Amerikamura.

peachfuzzmcgee
Wiggling with Experience

Post by peachfuzzmcgee » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:28 am

Devo-lution wrote:いいですね!Nice!

Then it seems I got a pretty good deal. I ended up paying around 30.000 yen for the driftbox J and didn't have to declare it to customs.

Also, it was a good practice in Japanese :p (two years of evening classes, kana, very limited kanji). The store was called musicland or musicland KEY and is situated in Amerikamura.
安かったですよ。

Yeah you got a good deal on that at around 300 bucks or so. I think it's definitely fun. Also I rarely ever declare anything to customs unless its booze anyway. Especially If you have it out of box they wont even glance at it.

アメ村 is super rad actually. I love Osaka, and I definitely liked it hundred times better than Tokyo. I've never taken any Japanese classes, all self taught, but talking with my girlfriend everyday makes it a lot better. Plus I can read a lot of Kanji but definitely practice more it's a fun language although much more difficult than my native language and English 頑張ってね

Devo-lution
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Devo-lution » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:09 am

peachfuzzmcgee wrote:
安かったですよ。

Yeah you got a good deal on that at around 300 bucks or so. I think it's definitely fun. Also I rarely ever declare anything to customs unless its booze anyway. Especially If you have it out of box they wont even glance at it.

アメ村 is super rad actually. I love Osaka, and I definitely liked it hundred times better than Tokyo. I've never taken any Japanese classes, all self taught, but talking with my girlfriend everyday makes it a lot better. Plus I can read a lot of Kanji but definitely practice more it's a fun language although much more difficult than my native language and English 頑張ってね
はい、頑張ります。ありがとう!

I'm really looking forward to check it out tomorrow (today is for jetlag induced sleeping :/).

I decided to take up Japanese after travelling there a few years ago. Sadly, I get little chance to actually use it (save for a small bento store near my work). I have some friends in Tokyo, but I get the feeling they prefer to speak English (also for practice).

P.s. I love Osaka, but still my heart goes to Tokyo.

geremyf
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by geremyf » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:56 am

Driftbox-J looks super cool, and for $300 I would love one to interact with my Eurorack. For $500 (as on eBay) it is less appealing!

peachfuzzmcgee
Wiggling with Experience

Post by peachfuzzmcgee » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:18 pm

Yeah the ebay prices make no sense, I would just try and see how much it would cost to import a used/new one from online shops of many of the big box retailers in japan. I think the J goes for like 400ish new

http://www.ikebe-gakki.com/ec/cmHeaderS ... yword=true

http://store.ishibashi.co.jp/ec/cmHeade ... wd=reon%20

it would not be tough to get these guys to send them if you spend over 50,000 Yen I think. I dont remember but I think both have similar oversee policies. Also you can use a company that sets up an address for you in Japan for shipping to you. I forget the one my girlfriend uses to send back and forth to family/friends

Edit: Amazon.co.jp has it also but I think you might need to use a Japanese credit card but Im not sure at all.

dan_k
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dan_k » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:51 pm

Unless something has changed on amazon.co.jp any credit card should be fine. Haven't done it in ages but used to order art books all the time.

peachfuzzmcgee
Wiggling with Experience

Post by peachfuzzmcgee » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:10 pm

http://www.tenso.com/en/static/lp_shop_index

here is a site that will ship for you, I have never used it but seems relatively low priced. Although I have never used amazon.co.jp but they may ship overseas if dan_k was using it for art books than you might not need this site either. Buying direct from Amazon would make it crazy easy for sure.

I'm personally just gonna wait till I go back later in the year. Probably gonna get my self a R Midi and maybe a J/W/C whichever speaks to me I guess.

Licudi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Licudi » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:41 am

peachfuzzmcgee wrote:my Driftbox SE isn't just a noise machine, I can get some really nice ambient pads with the 4 note paraphony.
I've never worked out the difference beteeen the various Driftboxes, though I had an R for a while. There seems to be millions of variations of the buggers.

Is the SE the one with DCOs and a Steiner-Parker filter? I like the idea of doing pads on something like that, but can't find any sound examples.

peachfuzzmcgee
Wiggling with Experience

Post by peachfuzzmcgee » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:19 pm

Licudi wrote:
peachfuzzmcgee wrote:my Driftbox SE isn't just a noise machine, I can get some really nice ambient pads with the 4 note paraphony.
I've never worked out the difference beteeen the various Driftboxes, though I had an R for a while. There seems to be millions of variations of the buggers.

Is the SE the one with DCOs and a Steiner-Parker filter? I like the idea of doing pads on something like that, but can't find any sound examples.
The SE has 2 DCO's and 4 note paraphony and a steiner parker low-pass filter with an asr. It's honestly the best for pads. Im really bad at posting stuff but send me a message, and Ill try to get some raw sounds from it then some with some delay/verb.

It can be really really big. it's sometimes annoying to tune because the sweep is so large on it but aside from that tuning it like 5th's apart and doing some chords on it sounds great. Actually I mostly use it for that and arpeggiated sequences. It's really nice when you push the gate length on a sequencer past 100 and the notes start bleeding together.

Seems like most examples online are noise type stuff which really doesnt show how cool it can sound

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:34 pm

The J looks really nice. Still not sure what it does though, and I guess getting one in Europe is out if the question. Something for when my bud visits Japan again I guess. Would love to see some explanatory demo video.
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

Licudi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Licudi » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:34 am

peachfuzzmcgee wrote:Driftbox SE [snip] Seems like most examples online are noise type stuff which really doesnt show how cool it can sound
Yeah, so many synths out there that are better than their demos. Dreadbox Nyx is a recent example.

Actually, Dreadbox is making a habit of it. Everytime I look at the Abyss spec and panel, I think it's ideal for me. Then I listen to the current demos and I'd rather have a Perfourmer.

As usual, the solution is to get a bit of hands-on. Dfficult with the Abyss and - especially - the Driftboxes, at least in the UK.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:37 am

Just emailed Schneiderslanden suggesting that they bring the Driftbox J to Europe. Maybe you could do the same! They did have one of the Reon synths available at some point, maybe they'd be interested in bringing these boxes back if people showed they wanted one.

Devo-lution
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Devo-lution » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:56 am

Finally got around to testing it. Really nice! Was able to make some nice drones with just the Driftbox J, Tempi, two Brain Seeds, Maths and Rings.

I haven't been able to figure out the exact function of each switch yet. The joysticks are made of plastic and a bit small, but perfect to be controlled with two thumbs.

The required adapter should be 5v center positive. I have an adapter laying around that can switch between 4,5v or 6v that seems to be working fine when switched to 4,5v.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:07 am

Seems to be able to receive MIDI-clock or analog clock (gate input), or send its own clock (Gate output), to sync the on-board 16 step sequencer to record joystick movement!

Not sure what the combination of switches ought to be for this to work correctly. I'm unsure what the trigger buttons do beside each joystick. Let us know if you find out. And thanks for spreading the GAS! :mrgreen:

Devo-lution
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Devo-lution » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:20 am

Paranormal Patroler wrote:Seems to be able to receive MIDI-clock or analog clock (gate input), or send its own clock (Gate output), to sync the on-board 16 step sequencer to record joystick movement!

Not sure what the combination of switches ought to be for this to work correctly. I'm unsure what the trigger buttons do beside each joystick. Let us know if you find out. And thanks for spreading the GAS! :mrgreen:
Haha, sorry ;).

After jamming and seeing how it responds, I'd say that activating the mode switch makes it follow analog clock (Tempi). Maybe this is some kind of master or slave switch?

Trigger buttons seem to do different things in different modes. When activating "write" they seem to arm the sequence recording. The write led is only lit when at least one "trigger" button is held. When "step" is activated, trigger buttons change the 8 leds that indicate the active steps, but not sure what it means. Maybe for changing sequence length?

Once I figure it out entirely, I'll post my findings here :).

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:26 am

From the UI I can guess that it can probably move between the 16 steps manually? :hmm: Maybe the triggers go through the steps after you've written something and while Step is not activated.

It definitely has a master/slave functionality. There's a tempo knob on it when it's master and it can be slaved both to analog and MIDI clock. Or so I gathered.

Write switch probably allows the recording of Joystick movement.

It also seems that it can output four CVs, but I'm not certain if it's four separate CV's or if it outputs A and B from two pairs depending on the position of the CV switch.

Devo-lution
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Devo-lution » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:29 am

Paranormal Patroler wrote:From the UI I can guess that it can probably move between the 16 steps manually? :hmm: Maybe the triggers go through the steps after you've written something and while Step is not activated.

It definitely has a master/slave functionality. There's a tempo knob on it when it's master and it can be slaved both to analog and MIDI clock. Or so I gathered.

Write switch probably allows the recording of Joystick movement.

It also seems that it can output four CVs, but I'm not certain if it's four separate CV's or if it outputs A and B from two pairs depending on the position of the CV switch.
It can actually send four separate cv (joystick 1 Y-axis, Joystick 1 X-axis, Joystick 2 Y-axis and Joystick 2 X-axis).

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:32 am

Devo-lution wrote:It can actually send four separate cv's (joystick 1 Y-axis, Joystick 1 X-axis, Joystick 2 Y-axis and Joystick 2 X-axis).
While at the same time using the Audio In/Out for attenuation of incoming audio signal on the Y axis ?!? :eek:

Return to “General Gear”