cv ocd

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

User avatar
defalut
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:26 am
Location: Sweden

Post by defalut » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:36 am

phats wrote:I use it with the octatrack midi lfo as an AD envelope. OT sends a midi CC and comes out of one of the cv outs, works fine for me. I think I set the range but it was more for convenience than necessity.
Alright, thanks.
Managed to free a couple of my CV outputs so i´ll try to map them to modulate using my sequencer.
My tracks: https://soundcloud.com/mbangs

I build & sell MegaCommand units for MachineDrum, Analog 4 and MonoMachine! Pm for more info.

zaphod betamax
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 417
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 3:24 pm
Location: sarnia

Post by zaphod betamax » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:00 am

Heads Up!

If you have the UM-ONE MK2 and try to do a firmware
update with Windows 7 to the CV OCD it will fail.

Because of active sensing, it interferes with the sysex stream.

Either use a different PC>MIDI box

OR
strip the active sense with a MIDI SOLUTIONS box (not a thru box though).

This happened to me, so I thought I would share.
Last edited by zaphod betamax on Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
phats
Common Wiggler
Posts: 138
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:02 am

Post by phats » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:36 pm

I have done a firmware update with a UM-One mk2 with no problem, once I put the cv.ocd in firmware update mode which I initially didnt realize I had to do.

I used SysEx librarian from snoize on osx from memory.

zaphod betamax
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 417
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 3:24 pm
Location: sarnia

Post by zaphod betamax » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:46 pm

I edited my message to say Windows 7.


phats wrote:I have done a firmware update with a UM-One mk2 with no problem, once I put the cv.ocd in firmware update mode which I initially didnt realize I had to do.

I used SysEx librarian from snoize on osx from memory.

User avatar
phats
Common Wiggler
Posts: 138
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:02 am

Post by phats » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:45 pm

I wonder if it has something to do the the um-one being in tablet/computer mode or not, the little switch on the side. I cant remember how I had it set when I did the update.

zaphod betamax
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 417
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 3:24 pm
Location: sarnia

Post by zaphod betamax » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:37 pm

checked the position on mine, it is is COMP position.

phats wrote:I wonder if it has something to do the the um-one being in tablet/computer mode or not, the little switch on the side. I cant remember how I had it set when I did the update.

zoneswithoutpeople
Common Wiggler
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:06 am

Post by zoneswithoutpeople » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:34 am

Just got an Octatrack and this thing seems like it would be amazing to sequence and clock my modular / SH 101 with!

Also being able to parameter lock CCs and use the CV outs to modulate stuff in the rack is pretty cool. It’s also cheaper than most CV converters, like the old Kenton stuff. Think I’m sold!

seta666
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 253
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:15 am

Post by seta666 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:42 am

I am building an small eurorack case with Moog DFAM and Behringer Neutron as main sound sources plus Maths and Kastle. I bought one of these too so I can use Reaktor blocks with this setup through maschine sofware. Any tips when using cv.ocd?

RAMIREZ
1-Post Wiggler
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:06 am
Location: Paris

cv.ocd and ableton live

Post by RAMIREZ » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:29 am

hi someone to connect cv.ocd to ableton? How is it done?
seta666 wrote:I am building an small eurorack case with Moog DFAM and Behringer Neutron as main sound sources plus Maths and Kastle. I bought one of these too so I can use Reaktor blocks with this setup through maschine sofware. Any tips when using cv.ocd?

calaveras
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3495
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:02 pm

Post by calaveras » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:15 pm

does this not exist anymore?
The link in the first post goes to nothing. Even the domain itself seems abandoned.

Benj
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:29 am
Location: Africa

Post by Benj » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:52 pm

they sell it at thonk

User avatar
Fog Door
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 608
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:04 pm
Location: Down, down, down the dark ladder

Post by Fog Door » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:59 pm

https://six4pix.net/ and they also sell them at www.tindie.com

I bought one the other week, love it, its really useful

seta666
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 253
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:15 am

Re: cv.ocd and ableton live

Post by seta666 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:44 am

RAMIREZ wrote:hi someone to connect cv.ocd to ableton? How is it done?
Just like any externas synth, program the cv.ocd to taste, connect midi cable and it is done

E.g. mine sends pitch, velocity, Mod wheel and CC#3 on channel 9 with first 4 cv outs
Then note gate on channel 9 as well with the first two cv trigger outs
Another 2 trigger outs on channel 10 and several midi clock out at different time divisions

User avatar
Flounderguts
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1108
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:56 pm
Location: SLC
Contact:

Post by Flounderguts » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:25 pm

I'm using mine with a NDLR, and CVing out to a bunch of droneboxes from my early DIY days. Phat chords!

I also joined the campaign for the Conductive Labs MRCC...but I wonder if I could build a MIDI>CV box that outputs a given midi note event for all 16 channels per MIDI IN?

It would be a big patchbay thing, but I'm thinking of 16 x CV note, 16 x velocity, and maybe 32 x programmable gate/trigger per MIDI In, a MIDI through, and USB MIDI host.
----------------------

Flounderguts

Licudi
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 928
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:43 pm

Post by Licudi » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:23 pm


JPatts
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:49 pm
Location: Portland

Re: cv ocd

Post by JPatts » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:34 pm

I'm having trouble sending a SysEx file to the CV.OCD, I have a Mac and am running SysEx Librarian. What cable are you using to connect the OCD to your computer? Does SysEx Librarian show you that the device is connected? I read the manual twice and searched the forum but I still can't find an answer. Thanks in advance.

User avatar
wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 442
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:07 am
Location: belgium

Re: cv ocd

Post by wavejockey » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:14 am

no mac here, but similar situation encountered
my CVocd is connected through a MIDI patchbay to audio/MIDI computer inface with a normal MIDI cable
first make sure there's a one way connection comp ->CV ocd
then open the sysex file and do a test send ; see if lights on CV ocd (and possibly your MIDI interface) blink -albeit very briefly- when you send sysex file over midi
after that, you can put the CV ocd in update mode and flash for firmware update

-if you just dump a setup sysex file, the CVocd don't need to be in update mode; the test send described above (if you send a setup sysex file) wil overwrite and store the current setup

-you can also test if there's a other way connection (CVocd->computer) if you dump the current CVocd setup in/to your computer

User avatar
peabreu
Common Wiggler
Posts: 109
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:05 am

Re: cv ocd

Post by peabreu » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:41 pm

JPatts wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:34 pm
I'm having trouble sending a SysEx file to the CV.OCD, I have a Mac and am running SysEx Librarian. What cable are you using to connect the OCD to your computer? Does SysEx Librarian show you that the device is connected? I read the manual twice and searched the forum but I still can't find an answer. Thanks in advance.
SysEx Librarian worked at first try for me, just a regular midi cable from my old and trustful Emagic AMT interface, I dont think it showed it was connected but I do not recall. Check if your midi cable is OK. Also, quit anymidi application when doing so.

User avatar
th0mas
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 717
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:36 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: cv ocd

Post by th0mas » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:35 pm

I ran into a situation where I needed a new MIDI to DIN Sync converter, because I realized the x0xb0x was adding a perceptible lag on my drum machines VS MIDI clock.

You can generate a useable din sync signal with 2 gate pins of the CV.OCD. Set one to 24 PPQN, 5 ms trig length. Set the other to transport run / gate. Look up the pinout (the outer pins of the DIN cable are clock and start/stop, the middle pin is ground).

otnemem
Common Wiggler
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue May 01, 2018 1:05 pm

Re: cv ocd

Post by otnemem » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:37 am

Hi all!

I just bought a new CV.OCD and now just realised that my audio interface does not seem to have a MIDI out - so having some trouble figuring out how to transfer Sysex files to reconfigure the box. My interface is a MOTU 8A for what it's worth.

I also have an Elektron Model Cycles but doubt i can use it as an interface to transfer sysex files?

Would i be able to transfer files directly from a Mac if i got a USB > MIDI cable and connect directly into the CV.OCD from my Mac? Any other ideas?

Thanks

oldgearguy
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 606
Joined: Thu May 26, 2016 6:42 am

Re: cv ocd

Post by oldgearguy » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:47 am

otnemem wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:37 am
Hi all!

I just bought a new CV.OCD and now just realised that my audio interface does not seem to have a MIDI out - so having some trouble figuring out how to transfer Sysex files to reconfigure the box. My interface is a MOTU 8A for what it's worth.

I also have an Elektron Model Cycles but doubt i can use it as an interface to transfer sysex files?

Would i be able to transfer files directly from a Mac if i got a USB > MIDI cable and connect directly into the CV.OCD from my Mac? Any other ideas?

Thanks
Short answer is yes.

Sysex Librarian on the Mac, Emu Systems XMIDI 1x1 cable works for me here.
Just remember if you get the E-mu that the cable end labeled Out is what plugs into the cv.ocd In (not In to In)

otnemem
Common Wiggler
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue May 01, 2018 1:05 pm

Re: cv ocd

Post by otnemem » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:04 am

Thanks for the quick reply.
Would a Roland UM One Mk2 work as well? There’s a local supplier who has in stock but I read that some people had issues due to active sensing

oldgearguy
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 606
Joined: Thu May 26, 2016 6:42 am

Re: cv ocd

Post by oldgearguy » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:07 am

otnemem wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:04 am
Thanks for the quick reply.
Would a Roland UM One Mk2 work as well? There’s a local supplier who has in stock but I read that some people had issues due to active sensing
As long as the cable passes sysex it should work ... in theory.

I've had other USB-MIDI cables that simply would not work in some situations.

otnemem
Common Wiggler
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue May 01, 2018 1:05 pm

Re: cv ocd

Post by otnemem » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:15 am

Thank you sir! Sounds like the Roland should work then

EDIT: glad to report that the UM One Mk2 works seamlessly 😄

oliodnb
Common Wiggler
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:54 am
Location: Italy

Re: cv ocd

Post by oliodnb » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:47 am

Hi, I just got a CV.OCD from Thonk and I'm having problems trying to configure it.
I tried to send the .syx file through this cable with MIDI SysEx Transfer Utility and MIDI-OX (configured as shown in the CV.OCD manual), both the LEDs on the cable and on the CV.OCD blinks but the unit remains in the default configuration. OS is Windows 10, I didn't enter firmware update mode.
Any idea about what I should try next?

Post Reply

Return to “General Gear”