Sampler Recommendations for Industrial / Experimental

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

xthrasherx
Wiggling with Experience

Sampler Recommendations for Industrial / Experimental

Post by xthrasherx » Fri May 05, 2017 7:23 pm

I've been lurking around this section for a little bit trying to figure out "gaps" in my system and the two standout areas are a sampler and a sequencer. The sequencer I have mostly covered through a combination of software (numerology)and midi / midi - cv boxes (for the modular), but I'm at a loss on the sampler front.

I have been mostly creating tracks with a lot of inspiration from more industrial, experimental, noise, and dark ambient, occasionally mixed with metal since that is where I spent most of my musical life. So with that out of the way, I have been trying to figure out what would make the most sense for the type of music I am drawn to and want to create.

Units I have looked into:
Korg ESX-1 (I have a love for tubes... so I have a hard time reasonably assessing this one)
Micro Granny (seems great for lo-fi mangling and experimental soundscapes)

Thanks in advance!
"While we scream and perish, History licks a finger and turns the page.”
― Thomas Ligotti

Instagram::YouTube::SoundCloud

induktor
Wiggling with Experience

Post by induktor » Fri May 05, 2017 7:28 pm

When I read sampler and sequencer my first thought was Octatrack. It makes a great companion to modular.

xthrasherx
Wiggling with Experience

Post by xthrasherx » Fri May 05, 2017 7:53 pm

induktor wrote:When I read sampler and sequencer my first thought was Octatrack. It makes a great companion to modular.
It is on my short list, but I will admit I find the workflow a little intimidating. Perhaps with some hands on experience I'd feel different though. It is hard to judge from YouTube videos.
Last edited by xthrasherx on Fri May 05, 2017 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
― Thomas Ligotti

rayce
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rayce » Fri May 05, 2017 8:19 pm

The Gotharman stuff is really great for sampling. The new anamono Xmini would be a good choice with its analog filter. Or just the oldschool LittleDeformer2 is great for industrial gritty samplers. Plus you get FX/sequencers/synths as well.

I have the AnamonoX and FuZioN and love them.

xthrasherx
Wiggling with Experience

Post by xthrasherx » Fri May 05, 2017 8:28 pm

rayce wrote:The Gotharman stuff is really great for sampling. The new anamono Xmini would be a good choice with its analog filter. Or just the oldschool LittleDeformer2 is great for industrial gritty samplers. Plus you get FX/sequencers/synths as well.

Sweet, not familiar with these units. I'll start looking into them. Do they play well with the modular world?
Last edited by xthrasherx on Fri May 05, 2017 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
― Thomas Ligotti

stikygum
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by stikygum » Fri May 05, 2017 8:28 pm

Roland V Synth has all kinds of mangling abilities. And I wouldn't sleep on the ESX-1. It's a fully capable and creative hands on sampler.

computer controlled
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by computer controlled » Sat May 06, 2017 12:07 am

Yamaha A4000/5000 sampler with a Beatstep Pro.
Stuff: SH-01A . TR-8S . MX-1 . D-20 . Waldorf MicroQ . Ensoniq EPS 16+ . Yamaha MODX6 . Yamaha DX7 . MPC Live . Avalon BassLine . Behringer Neutron . Behringer MS-101 . Behringer Pro-1 . Behringer K-2 . Behringer TD-3 . E-Mu Emax . E-Mu Emax II . BeatStep Pro . Keystep .

abandonist
Wiggling with Experience

Post by abandonist » Sat May 06, 2017 2:48 am

The band I'm in is industrial/doom/noise and I couldn't be happier with the Roland SP404sx.

The Goob
Common Wiggler

Post by The Goob » Sat May 06, 2017 5:56 am

For some of the older Industrial guys, I know Skinny Puppy used Ensoniq Mirages. You have to be OK with digging in to a different era of technology (floppy disks, hexadecimal editing). Foetus used an S950, which would be easier to work with. Any of those older samplers where you get lots of aliasing when you detune would work well for Industrial. An Emax would also be good.

A fun and simple one is the Boss RSD-10. It can only hold one sample at a time, but it can receive trigger pulses and you can change your sample's pitch by sending it a pitch reference.

IR
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by IR » Sat May 06, 2017 5:59 am

I would say Boss SP-202, very limited, that's why it's better for experimental.

ignacio
Common Wiggler

Post by ignacio » Sat May 06, 2017 7:21 am

SP-303 or MPC 2000XL - can't go wrong with either or both!

CopperHydra
Common Wiggler

Post by CopperHydra » Sat May 06, 2017 9:12 am

The Emax II is one of my favorite samplers. The Ensoniq Mirage is pretty good too.

You could get pretty far with a zoom recorder nowadays. Maybe get a hypercardioid or a shotgun mic and a good boom/stand to plug into it.
Go mic one of your mechanic friends working on something.
:boba:

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Sampler Recommendations for Industrial / Experimental

Post by Funky40 » Sat May 06, 2017 10:15 am

xthrasherx wrote: I have been mostly creating tracks with a lot of inspiration from more industrial, experimental, noise, and dark ambient,
i´d say nearly any sampler will do, aslong you have good access for (direct!) manipulation. pitch, sample-start and endpoints, loopsettings !

as you mention a sequenzer also do i throw in the upcoming Digitakt from elektron.
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):
lowered prices: Dotcom Q960: 650.- / Q119: 420 / ( i also have one or much likely two 19" Frames)
ATV A-Frame incl. Accu and Bag: 830.-, like new, quasi unused.

xthrasherx
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Sampler Recommendations for Industrial / Experimental

Post by xthrasherx » Sat May 06, 2017 10:25 am

Funky40 wrote:
xthrasherx wrote: I have been mostly creating tracks with a lot of inspiration from more industrial, experimental, noise, and dark ambient,
i´d say nearly any sampler will do, aslong you have good access for (direct!) manipulation. pitch, sample-start and endpoints, loopsettings !

as you mention a sequenzer also do i throw in the upcoming Digitakt from elektron.
The Digitakt does look pretty sweet and a lot more intuitive than some other elektron products.

So far there have been some great recommendations that I haven't really thought of. You all have been keeping me very busy this morning :sb:
― Thomas Ligotti

pushthatbutton
Common Wiggler

Post by pushthatbutton » Sat May 06, 2017 11:03 am

rayce wrote:The Gotharman stuff is really great for sampling. The new anamono Xmini would be a good choice with its analog filter. Or just the oldschool LittleDeformer2 is great for industrial gritty samplers. Plus you get FX/sequencers/synths as well.

+1 for gotharman!
i have a octatrack and collect cash right now for a gotharman.
dont get me wrong - i love my octatrack but elektron is very patternorientated.
i find it hard to do unconventional stuff with - at least - the octa.
its possible but it is not really designed for.
also gotharman little deformer, anamono x and anamono xmini have the cv in/out option.
plus for noise and industrial gotharmans sounds much better if you ask me.

just my opinion. i like both brands but for what you asked at least gotharman wins.

xthrasherx
Wiggling with Experience

Post by xthrasherx » Sat May 06, 2017 12:02 pm

For the Gotharman fans, is there any opinion on the Little Deformer vs Little Deformer 2?

The fact that there is a Eurorack module for sending cv to the LD2 just elevated this quite a bit in my book.
― Thomas Ligotti

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Sat May 06, 2017 12:29 pm

If you're looking at the Microgranny, why not look at the Grandpa (since you already have eurorack)?

I'm a big fan of the Machinedrum. It's very intuitive compared to some other Elektron stuff, can get pretty gritty and is very flexible. It can also sequence external gear.

I'd also mention the Prophet 2002/2000 if you can find one. Analog filter and VCA per voice and relatively lofi. You'd probably want to process it further for more mangling.

22tape
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 22tape » Sat May 06, 2017 12:54 pm

If there were samplers with onboard analog filters, feedback/distortion and resampling, that'd be something. But as we have it, the sound of samplers aren't specific to genre... it depends on the sampled material you're working with. Workflow is a different story all together. If we're just talking shop, I'll say that i'm friggen excited for my Deluge to arrive soon!

http://www.synthstrom.com/mobile/delugeorder.html

:bananaguitar:

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Sat May 06, 2017 12:57 pm

22tape wrote:If there were samplers with onboard analog filters, feedback/distortion and resampling, that'd be something. But as we have it, the sound of samplers aren't specific to genre... it depends on the sampled material you're working with. Workflow is a different story all together. If we're just talking shop, I'll say that i'm friggen excited for my Deluge to arrive soon!

Half the samplers mentioned above have analog filters. You're also downplaying the role of sample rate. Samplers definitely can have a character of their own, and not all are created equal. There are certainly transparent samplers, but I don't think any of the above mentioned samplers would be described this way.

xthrasherx
Wiggling with Experience

Post by xthrasherx » Sat May 06, 2017 1:05 pm

Sinamsis wrote:If you're looking at the Microgranny, why not look at the Grandpa (since you already have eurorack)?

I'm a big fan of the Machinedrum. It's very intuitive compared to some other Elektron stuff, can get pretty gritty and is very flexible. It can also sequence external gear.

I'd also mention the Prophet 2002/2000 if you can find one. Analog filter and VCA per voice and relatively lofi. You'd probably want to process it further for more mangling.
On microgranny vs grandpa I like that the microgranny can be midi sync'd and you can send a signal in for grabbing samples vs being limited to loading samples on the SD card on the GrandPa. Grandpa + Spa does make for an interesting combo in the eurorack though.
22tape wrote:If there were samplers with onboard analog filters, feedback/distortion and resampling, that'd be something. But as we have it, the sound of samplers aren't specific to genre... it depends on the sampled material you're working with. Workflow is a different story all together. If we're just talking shop, I'll say that i'm friggen excited for my Deluge to arrive soon!

Rockin' Banana!
I guess I want something that works with the modular, but can be independent of it as well. My studio is a bit of a hybrid set up with Numerology being my go to sequencer for everything, a Beatstep Pro to convert midi to CV for the modular, a Sub 37 and a Ensoniq SQ1 (not used all that often) as additional hardware synths, and a circuit bent SR-16 for drums plus some overlap with ITB drums and modules within the euro). I do understand that samplers aren't necessarily genre specific, but some have features that seem more immediate / useful than others for the genres I like to work with.
― Thomas Ligotti

chilllwinston
Common Wiggler

Post by chilllwinston » Sat May 06, 2017 1:08 pm

yamaha su700

22tape
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 22tape » Sat May 06, 2017 1:09 pm

Sinamsis wrote:

Half the samplers mentioned above have analog filters. You're also downplaying the role of sample rate. Samplers definitely can have a character of their own, and not all are created equal. There are certainly transparent samplers, but I don't think any of the above mentioned samplers would be described this way.
Not sure I was downplaying anything. I wasn't doing an exhaustive review of samplers. Just saying that samplers don't lend themselves to a specific genre. it'd be nice to have a newer sampler with analog filter/feedback/distortion with resampling. Seems like the market is there.

22tape
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 22tape » Sat May 06, 2017 1:13 pm

xthrasherx wrote:
Sinamsis wrote:If you're looking at the Microgranny, why not look at the Grandpa (since you already have eurorack)?

On microgranny vs grandpa I like that the microgranny can be midi sync'd and you can send a signal in for grabbing samples vs being limited to loading samples on the SD card on the GrandPa. Grandpa + Spa does make for an interesting combo in the eurorack though.

Rockin' Banana!
I guess I want something that works with the modular, but can be independent of it as well. My studio is a bit of a hybrid set up with Numerology being my go to sequencer for everything, a Beatstep Pro to convert midi to CV for the modular, a Sub 37 and a Ensoniq SQ1 (not used all that often) as additional hardware synths, and a circuit bent SR-16 for drums plus some overlap with ITB drums and modules within the euro). I do understand that samplers aren't necessarily genre specific, but some have features that seem more immediate / useful than others for the genres I like to work with.
I hear ya. The Deluge is actually fairly capable with the modular-- 2 CV outs and four gate/trigger outs and clock sync in... sampling, sequencing, song mode, battery powered, speaker, arps, individual track lengths, parameter locks etc etc...
Last edited by 22tape on Sat May 06, 2017 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Sat May 06, 2017 1:39 pm

Sinamsis wrote: You're also downplaying the role of sample rate. Samplers definitely can have a character of their own, and not all are created equal. There are certainly transparent samplers, but I don't think any of the above mentioned samplers would be described this way.
in my book, based on my experiences, is for the styles the OP has mentioned a sampler specific soundcharakter totally pointless.
YOU make the sound. within those soundgenres anyway ;)

personally i would put the weight allways on:
which sampler can help you to bring down as much experience as possible in as little time ?

working with samplers always means to spend alots of time to get your experiences down.
Its never the sampler, its allways you.

i had my MPC1K wit its internal Filter sound like a Voyager.
plain luck........and these filters were otherwise just plain crap to me, but with that one sample did these filters sound good !
The waveforms count in my book often much more than the filter.
a fact totally overlooked from most poeple in my opinion.
yes, i´d build any gear with a analog filter ofcourse ;)

the workflow of a Sampler MUST suit you !
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):
lowered prices: Dotcom Q960: 650.- / Q119: 420 / ( i also have one or much likely two 19" Frames)
ATV A-Frame incl. Accu and Bag: 830.-, like new, quasi unused.

CF3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by CF3 » Sat May 06, 2017 3:56 pm

Quick fix would be using TAL Sampler with Numerology. $60 and it's meant as an homage to the 80's samplers like the EII and Emax. I really like the GUI. Couple different "down-sampling" modes to really grudge it up.

Something like an Ensoniq EPS16+ would be cool with the built in FX and access to the Waveboy disks (Soniq Demolition and Voder!).

Return to “General Gear”