Dreadbox Medusa monosynth

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Muse FTW
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Muse FTW » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:45 pm

stikygum wrote:
Are these shipping?

Just like you can't judge a book by it's cover, it's becoming more a rule that you can't judge a synth by it's stock presets. (Not everyone realizes that though.)
Yeah I think they're in stock in the usual places. I had mine on reserve from Sweetwater FWIW.

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:09 pm

Mark Doty (Automatic Gainsay) has some videos up but I can't stand listening to this guy talking as if his audience have never had a synth before, or as if he's basically advertising the gear. A lot of YT synth channels are dumbed down to the point of being offensive. :mad:

GovernorSilver
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GovernorSilver » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:21 pm

This Medusa has drawn complaints of various sorts, but the oscillators seem to be the most consistently criticized feature. I doubt Sonic State Nick will be able to say or do anything to reverse that trend.
Member of Alliance for Synth Farting

ludotex
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ludotex » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:58 am

I sincerely hope its their early marketing effort that went wrong (polyEnd lackluster random demos, Marc Doty videos with driffting oscillators from hopefully a prototype) and not the final hardware.
Looking forward to some videos posted from actual users. I really like Dreadbox hardware and even though I was really looking forward to the Medusa, all of this has left me a bit worried. Lets wait and see...
---
Latest patchings and experiments: https://www.youtube.com/user/plutotex/videos

GovernorSilver
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GovernorSilver » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:36 pm

ludotex wrote:I sincerely hope its their early marketing effort that went wrong
Was there a real "marketing effort" for any of the other Dreadbox products? I doubt it as Dreadbox is just a couple of guys. No marketing department.

Never even heard of Dreadbox until that Abyss vs. Vermona thread came up.

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:46 pm

I hope this is an early batch issue that will get sorted out with the next batch. Time will tell.

GovernorSilver
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GovernorSilver » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:43 pm

Apparently Nick@Sonic State is being flown to the US to demo the Yamaha MODX tomorrow, so any Medusa demo by him is further delayed.

RickKleffel
Wiggling with Experience

Post by RickKleffel » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:51 pm

I am enjoying my Medusa. A super-compact 5 octave keypad? Yay! I wrote the Manufacturer(s) about my #1 glaring omission, no MIDI sync IN for the sequencer. Wrote late last Friday night, heard first thing Monday morning from Jacek Polyend, they are on it. I'm impressed with customer response / service.

The build on this thing is as good as SOMA or the OB-6. Fascinating that problems I've not entertained seem to have pre-besmirched it. Unlike other recent Analog synths, there is a 0 cents adjuster for the analog oscillators. This is a well-engineered piece of gear.

This is not to say it is perfect, but it is perfectly usable. I do want the sequencer syncable, since I like to have many sequencers to hand, often, BUT NOT ALWAYS, in sync with the [Logic DAW, currently] master clock.

Tuning can be challenging if you are messing with the 38 alternate scales in one of the 7 layouts. The scales prove to be useful and indeed, inspiring.

We now return you to fact-free speculation and denigration. I have a full day of experimentation to look forward to. Yesterday, found a sound that inspired a nice little bit of music on the Medusa. It's done its job. My turn.

GovernorSilver
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GovernorSilver » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:18 pm

RickKleffel wrote:I am enjoying my Medusa. A super-compact 5 octave keypad? Yay! I wrote the Manufacturer(s) about my #1 glaring omission, no MIDI sync IN for the sequencer. Wrote late last Friday night, heard first thing Monday morning from Jacek Polyend, they are on it. I'm impressed with customer response / service.

The build on this thing is as good as SOMA or the OB-6. Fascinating that problems I've not entertained seem to have pre-besmirched it. Unlike other recent Analog synths, there is a 0 cents adjuster for the analog oscillators. This is a well-engineered piece of gear.
I have a SOMA Lyra-8, so that's nice to hear, regarding the build quality.

I don't see any comment from you about the tuning stability of the oscillator or unwanted distortion, which means those issues have either been resolved by the time you got yours, or maybe our imaginations aren't as active ;).

RickKleffel
Wiggling with Experience

Post by RickKleffel » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:58 pm

GovernorSilver wrote:
I don't see any comment from you about the tuning stability of the oscillator or unwanted distortion, which means those issues have either been resolved by the time you got yours, or maybe our imaginations aren't as active ;).
..or perhaps my sensibilities are not so finely tuned. That said, no issues with stability or distortion. The filter's a bit tetchy, but like all of them, for me, at least, takes some getting used to. (Or RTFM). The envelopes and LFOs are nicely set to-hand.

To me, the big surprise is how shockingly good it sounds in 3 and 6 voice paraphonic mode. It's a damn good polysynth, really.

AutomaticGainsay
Learning to Wiggle

Post by AutomaticGainsay » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:44 am

The issue with oscillator one going out of tune when the filter cutoff was changed has been addressed in a firmware update. It was actually a thing that happened in the firmware update between 1.0 and the most recent one.

There is still some tuning variance in the analog oscillators, of course... and that's just how you should want it.

P.S. Sorry that I "dumb down" my videos. It's just that of the synthesizer-buying population, the majority do not understand synthesis. I'm also sorry for the fact that my video format, which has been going since many of you were children, explores the sound and functionality of individual components which hopefully gives you the understanding of what those components do and sound like in order for you, as an expert, to make good decisions about whether the device will meet your needs. If you're bored by my addressing of most people, listen to the raw elements of functionality sound like, and you'll get a sense of what the synthesizer sounds like when it does what it does.
"Now, don't misquote me and say I'm against keyboards. I've been misquoted on that one enough. A keyboard is a useful input structure if what you want is rapid simultaneous access to a large number of sounds of fixed pitch, but it's much less useful for controlling some other aspects of sound."
-DB

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:49 am

AutomaticGainsay wrote: It's just that of the synthesizer-buying population, the majority do not understand synthesis. .
OK.... I usually just go for SonicState videos because Nick generally assumes his audience understands synthesis and I don't have to fast forward much, except to skip the apparently obligatory scope tests.

GovernorSilver
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GovernorSilver » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:05 pm

AutomaticGainsay wrote:The issue with oscillator one going out of tune when the filter cutoff was changed has been addressed in a firmware update. It was actually a thing that happened in the firmware update between 1.0 and the most recent one.

There is still some tuning variance in the analog oscillators, of course... and that's just how you should want it.

P.S. Sorry that I "dumb down" my videos. It's just that of the synthesizer-buying population, the majority do not understand synthesis. I'm also sorry for the fact that my video format, which has been going since many of you were children, explores the sound and functionality of individual components which hopefully gives you the understanding of what those components do and sound like in order for you, as an expert, to make good decisions about whether the device will meet your needs. If you're bored by my addressing of most people, listen to the raw elements of functionality sound like, and you'll get a sense of what the synthesizer sounds like when it does what it does.
Thanks for the update regarding the tuning and filter cutoff.

My take on your video style: Just keep doing what you do, in your way. You, Nick, Loopop, etc. all have something to offer.

GavRL
Common Wiggler

Post by GavRL » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:05 pm

AutomaticGainsay wrote:The issue with oscillator one going out of tune when the filter cutoff was changed has been addressed in a firmware update. It was actually a thing that happened in the firmware update between 1.0 and the most recent one.

As it should be. You were more or less solely responsible for me selling a tonne of beloved stuff to buy a Two Voice Pro. 2 weeks or so on, I’m delighted that I did. What a synth. Your filter video on that playlist I must’ve played a billion times whilst I waited for it.

AutomaticGainsay
Learning to Wiggle

Post by AutomaticGainsay » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:56 pm

Panason wrote:
AutomaticGainsay wrote: It's just that of the synthesizer-buying population, the majority do not understand synthesis. .
OK.... I usually just go for SonicState videos because Nick generally assumes his audience understands synthesis and I don't have to fast forward much, except to skip the apparently obligatory scope tests.
I (and I'm sure everyone else) am very, very interested in exactly how the Internet can suit your personal tastes with content fashioned for your unique perspective, Panason.
"Now, don't misquote me and say I'm against keyboards. I've been misquoted on that one enough. A keyboard is a useful input structure if what you want is rapid simultaneous access to a large number of sounds of fixed pitch, but it's much less useful for controlling some other aspects of sound."
-DB

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:38 am

You carry on with your dumb audience mate, seems like there's plenty of it.

tehyar
I dream in SciFi

Post by tehyar » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:33 am

@AutomaticGainsay As part of your dumb audience, I'm a big fan of your videos. I get a thorough view of what the synth can do, and occasionally you connect the dots on something I hadn't considered, even after decades of synth programming. Attempting to enlighten people with a huge amount of details is nothing like "dumbing it down". Keep up the good work!

scottmoon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by scottmoon » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:38 pm

I so want this to be an awesome synth. It keeps calling out to me.

But, I just saw the only review on Sweetwater on it. Maybe it's bogus. The spelling and grammatical errors are. Chime in if these things are untrue.

"Return to sender
I was excited untill the unit arived. The little tiny displays where tough to read in well lit room, can't imagine what it would be like in a dim lit club. Output omited random circuit noise. The pots felt cheep as did the faders ...was a really high price for what you get. Not my cup of synth. I mean there are some phat sounding Moog for half the price. This is my opinion don't let it wreck your day :)
by Anonymous on September 20, 2018"

WTF?
"If you think this world is bad, you should see some of the others" - PKD

My band's noise https://soundcloud.com/lunarasylum

Gribs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gribs » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:53 pm

This one just doesn’t scratch any of my itches.

I think I am just at my personal synth saturation point.

Loopop made a good demo video.
----------------------------------------

Muff McMuff
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Muff McMuff » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:22 am

THIS CHANNEL HAS NO CONTENT....

One constant i have noticed on youtube. Is the people most critical of youtubers and their videos rarely have any content themselves. They usually have never made a video in their life. If they have uploaded a video it might be a screen recording of them playing a video game! Test the theory next time you are on youtube. Click on their icon....this channel has no content.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:04 pm

Marc, I like the contents of your videos ... yes, sometimes I think they are a bit simplistic but it's okay, I think that makes them reach a larger audience and does´n leave out the newly initiated in synthesis

But I do not understand why you make so many videos for a synthesizer ... 10 minutes explaining a VCA is perhaps too much, and then one begins to lose the thread and, sincerely, also the interest in the review.

I liked your old videos better, maybe in 2 parts, but 8 or 10 seem too much (for me)

My 2 cents, with respect for your work

AdamJay
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by AdamJay » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:08 pm

Marc,
I understand synthesis, and it doesn't bother me that you take the time to explain an envelope in a synth I am interested in.
In fact, I appreciate that you take the time to explain it because somewhere, someone is learning that information for the first time.
Music education in school has slid back heavily in the USA, and YouTube is the new class room for so many people, young and old.

Anyone who has an actual problem with the extra few minutes you spend on a section of a synthesizer must be real fun at parties.

Keep doing what you're doing. It is very much appreciated.

And ignore the haters.

GovernorSilver
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GovernorSilver » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:58 pm

AdamJay wrote:Marc,
I understand synthesis, and it doesn't bother me that you take the time to explain an envelope in a synth I am interested in.
In fact, I appreciate that you take the time to explain it because somewhere, someone is learning that information for the first time.
Music education in school has slid back heavily in the USA, and YouTube is the new class room for so many people, young and old.

Anyone who has an actual problem with the extra few minutes you spend on a section of a synthesizer must be real fun at parties.

Keep doing what you're doing. It is very much appreciated.

And ignore the haters.
:guinness:

Back when I was trying to play Chapman Stick, there was a couple of guys who came out of nowhere with all kinds of complaints about the Stick. Then it turned out they were putting own their own competing instrument. And yet another competitor posting criticisms ranging from somewhat legit-sounding to downright petty, under various aliases.

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:08 pm

:hyper:

GovernorSilver
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GovernorSilver » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:20 pm

The hero of the people, Nick, takes a jam.

[video][/video]

Return to “General Gear”