Dreadbox Medusa monosynth

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., luketeaford, lisa, Kent

Estes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Estes » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:57 pm

anselmi wrote:
Estes wrote:Isn't the Novation Mono Station quite similar to the Medusa in a way?
much more limited in features but yes, similar concept of a synth voice driven by a grid of pads where you can select/play presets, enter sequences, notes, modulation lanes, etc

for me the Novation sounds more sweet and round than the medusa, and at the recent sale price I finally ordered one
Licudi wrote:Medusa is listed as discontinued by a couple of retailers now.

Has development ceased? I thought it had a second wind with V2, though the so-called albino facelift never entered production.
I think that after the initial hype some people ended not buying it because of the sound...sadly it´s the first Dreadbox synth that don´t have the creamy tone that one expect from them, like in the Erebus or Nyx
also note that the circuit mono station has cvs. I often find myself playing in scale mode with the pads my modular gear. Medusa can't do this and it doesn't need too much space on my desk.

Licudi
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Licudi » Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:40 am

Reduced to £499 at Juno so I finally took the plunge. Should be interesting to weigh up its strengths and flaws for myself. Arrives on Monday, ParcelFarce willing.

Besides the price drop, I was encouraged by this list of firmware upgrades. Suggests Polyend are still developing Medusa after the big V2 unveil even if the silver version didn't enter production:
Changelog:

v2.04 beta
Updates
- Added LFO random wave (the last position).
- Added MIDI Local Off (as a MIDI config option), you can now use the Medusa MPE pads to play another instrument and play the internal synth engine with an external controller at the same time. 
- Both LFOs and envelopes are now able to send out their native values out as CC (set it up from the MIDI config menu).
- Each synth parameter is now displayed with the assigned CC number.

v2.02
Fixes
- External clock sync.

v2.01
Fixes
- Enhanced X-axis accuracy in the MPE mode.
- Pads are sending the correct MIDI communicates while played in the Grid mode during the sequence is running.

v2.0
Updates
- Refined Grid workflow.
- New pads backlit: Note - 2/3, Tie - 1/2, Modulators - 0.
- Now, in order to see the pads with modulators only, press and hold the Clear button.
- When the sequencer is running, pressing other pads in the Grid mode is not taking over the note, just the synth voice parameter modulations.
- While holding a pad with modulators, they will change the sound as long as you hold them not only per sequenced step time as before.
- When the sequencer is running and you're editing a single step, you can actually hear the modulations made to this particular step as long as you hold it pressed.
- Note TIE (note length) and RND (change note in a selected scale in a range of two octaves) per step. When in the Grid mode editing notes, click the encoder once to use Tie and twice to use Random.
- Record note length in live record mode and in the incremental mode (press and hold the pad/step and press the Clear button to add Tie as the note length).
- Added velocity off also for external MIDI controllers.
- Enhanced Drone mode, you can now turn on and off the notes while they're sustained.
- Voice priority is now a preset value instead of a global setting.
- New presets from Benn Jordan and Machinedrum.
- New set of 64 wavetables.
- New more precise DADSR behaviour.
- Adjusted Filter Cutoff.

Fixes
- Enhanced knob noise filtering mechanism.
- Fixed MIDI behaviour when receiving lots of communicates, won't crash anymore.
- Repaired issue with playing external controller over MIDI DIN in Monophonic play mode.

Licudi
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Dreadbox Medusa monosynth

Post by Licudi » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:11 am

If anyone is intereseted in Juno's deal it's back in stock at £499. Mine came with the extra tooty fruity knobs (in a bag) and v2.1.

Edit button has disappeared so forgive double post.

bimbom
Common Wiggler

Post by bimbom » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:48 pm

I got mine for 449 , click on the link for better price and you could get lucky.

Mine didn’t have extra coloured knobs but has latest firmware on it. (2.02)
Good bargain.
gear : elektron stuff , nord stuff , roland stuff and little cheap boxes.
www.instagram.com/re5etuk
www.soundcloud.com/re5etuk

Licudi
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Licudi » Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:36 am

That's a great price! You can buy the coloured knob set at Juno separately, BTW. The latest run are supposed to come with it so perhaps Juno will send you a pack gratis. My Medusa came with v2.01 not 2.1 I should add.

ddiamond84
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ddiamond84 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:56 pm

Got mine from Juno yesterday! Super fast shipping, I ordered Friday and I’m in LA, and it’s the holidays.

Mine didn’t come with those color knobs. Do they feel any different or is it purely aesthetic? Mine also came with 2.02.

Accent
Common Wiggler

Post by Accent » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:40 pm

ddiamond84 wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:56 pm
Got mine from Juno yesterday! Super fast shipping, I ordered Friday and I’m in LA, and it’s the holidays.

Mine didn’t come with those color knobs. Do they feel any different or is it purely aesthetic? Mine also came with 2.02.
They might still be in the box. I thought mine didn't come with them until I double checked and found them bagged up. If not, I'd contact Polyend and see if they can hook you up. Can't comment on how they feel as I haven't yet taken them out of the bag myself.

Licudi
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Licudi » Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:17 pm

ddiamond84 wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:56 pm
I'd say they're inferior to the original knobs but I'm a sucker for colour coding. Plus they cheer the Medusa up. And it can sound very unhappy... :sadbanana: .

Fentune
Common Wiggler

Post by Fentune » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:25 pm

Fuck those gumdrop/fruitloop colors! Medusa is supposed to be dark and deadly, not some rainbow delight visual disaster. The original aesthetic is still the best. 8-)

Gribs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gribs » Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:41 am

Are you folks referencing Juno Records in the UK?

It looks like new Medusa’s are out of stock there, but if I set click the checkbox to show items out of stock they show up at the low price. I didn’t about this place. Are they trustworthy or will they do things like sell B-stock as new?
----------------------------------------

Licudi
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Licudi » Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:32 pm

Gribs wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:41 am

It looks like new Medusa’s are out of stock there, but if I set click the checkbox to show items out of stock they show up at the low price. I didn’t about this place. Are they trustworthy or will they do things like sell B-stock as new?
Juno Records has been selling the Medusa significantly cheaper than anyone else. It's no surprise they're out of stock.

FWIW, I've found Juno to be an exemplary seller. New items with quick delivery & very well-packaged. Not had to return anything so can't comment on how that works.

Juno is still offering the Medusa as B-stock, but for 40% more than they've been selling them new... :despair: I'd see if they get another Medusa delivery if I were you. They've had two batches so far at the low price so there may be more to come.

Gribs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gribs » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:03 pm

Licudi wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:32 pm
Gribs wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:41 am

Juno Records has been selling the Medusa significantly cheaper than anyone else. It's no surprise they're out of stock.

FWIW, I've found Juno to be an exemplary seller. New items with quick delivery & very well-packaged. Not had to return anything so can't comment on how that works.

Juno is still offering the Medusa as B-stock, but for 40% more than they've been selling them new... :despair: I'd see if they get another Medusa delivery if I were you. They've had two batches so far at the low price so there may be more to come.
Thank you for the info. The Medusa has always seemed like a sort of “Franken-synth” to me. I have been eyeing if for a long time but just didn’t want to pull the trigger due to the price.

I saw the B-stock thing as well. Juno also has black Blofelds for a ridiculously low price. I normally think 15% off MAP is decent (used to be more like 18% when it was possible to make a relationship with a pro audio person at GC) and it is much lower.

Licudi
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Licudi » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:28 pm

Gribs wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:03 pm
The Medusa has always seemed like a sort of “Franken-synth” to me.
That describes Medusa pretty well. It's a highly idiosyncratic synth but worth a punt at the new price. Its main problem is the resonance is too harsh so it needs a dedicated delay and reverb to take the edge off. If you can live with that it's an intriguing instrument.

bimbom
Common Wiggler

Post by bimbom » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:56 pm

Ive bought from Juno for years , never had any issues , always quick delivery , never had a used item sent as a new item
They usually offer slight discount if you ask.

Like most places they often have b-stock which is weirdly priced so I’d definitely ask if the new ones are out of stock.
gear : elektron stuff , nord stuff , roland stuff and little cheap boxes.
www.instagram.com/re5etuk
www.soundcloud.com/re5etuk

Gribs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gribs » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:55 pm

Thanks for the info.

I just checked Thomann US and they have the Medusa for $689. AFAIK their shipping is $30 unless you order something large like the Jaspers rack I just got from them as my Xmas present to myself. Maybe Juno made a special deal with Dreadbox and Polyend. Thomann has the Erebus V3 for $466 and the Nyx V2 for $505.

I don’t any of these things of course but you know how it goes... both of those places also have the MFB Dominion Club as well... LOL

Licudi
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Licudi » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:28 pm

Took a while, but Medusa is back in stock at Juno. Still £499.

Gribs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gribs » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:23 pm

Geez you guys, I did the "send email for a better price" thing and they sent me a code that dropped the price to $480.66. their standard FedEx priority shipping was $53.71.

How do they make any money on these?

I know markup on electronics is high. I researched Loopop's review and demo and a couple of other videos. I wavered a lot on this before due to the price point but at this price it seems ridiculous, especially for the XYZ controller/sequencer part added to it.

Licudi
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Licudi » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:48 pm

Sounds like Juno started with a £450 price then knocked off 20% EU 'Value Added Tax'. You're exempt being in the USA.

However they got there, a bloody good price. :guinness:

dubnspace
Veteran Wiggler

Post by dubnspace » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:01 pm

really tempted to get one at this price.. do i need this synth? i'm sure i don't and never really bothered with it too much, but is this deal too good to pass up? price to feature ratio is looking pretty good right now.

Macro/micro
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Macro/micro » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:12 pm

Has anyone else had issues updating the firmware via Mac OS? While updating to 2.02 it seems I've bricked the unit. I thought I followed all the instructions to a T, but when reviewing the steps I may have overlooked something. The manual says the file directories can't have any spaces in the folder names (which their folder follows), but it's in my downloads folder, which if you keep tracing back eventually gets to "Macintosh HD" which does have a space. I replaced the space with an underscore and tried to reflash the unit, but the installer window stays stuck on "flashing". BTW, If you go one step further on the directories, the computer's name also has a space in it, but it's a work computer and I'm not sure if I can change that.

Anyone have an experience with this and can lend some advice? They say if it appears bricked you can still reflash the unit and get it working, but I haven't been able to. The synth has stayed powered the whole time, and I'm considering turning the power off and trying from a different computer that I can guarantee won't have any spacing issue, but turning off a unit mid firmware update is something I'd never do under any other circumstance.

:bang: :despair:

Licudi
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Licudi » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:58 am

Out of stock again at Juno but plenty elsewhere at twice the price. Clearly there's a market for the Medusa at £450-500 but not much more.

jzwoopwoop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jzwoopwoop » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:49 am

Would anyone care to comment on using Medusa as an MPE controller? That's obviously not the sole or even main reason I would buy the Medusa (the amazing price from Juno is!), but it would be a nice cherry on top. Thanks for any thoughts / feedback!

Kattefjaes
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:49 pm

Gribs wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:23 pm
Geez you guys, I did the "send email for a better price" thing and they sent me a code that dropped the price to $480.66. their standard FedEx priority shipping was $53.71.
Yes, Juno are fantastic. The "contact us for a lower price" is no joke- you can often get Eurorack modules for less than people are selling for used on Reverb. They send stuff out very quickly and are really friendly and helpful if there are problems or queries. I've been really impressed with them.

(In the UK, I've also had some good experiences with Andertons, who are pretty competitive on price, and who are extremely efficient getting stuff out on time, handling returns etc.)

jzwoopwoop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jzwoopwoop » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:50 pm

jzwoopwoop wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:49 am
Would anyone care to comment on using Medusa as an MPE controller? That's obviously not the sole or even main reason I would buy the Medusa (the amazing price from Juno is!), but it would be a nice cherry on top. Thanks for any thoughts / feedback!
Bumping. Anyone using Medusa as an MPE controller?

Gribs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gribs » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:23 pm

jzwoopwoop wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:50 pm
jzwoopwoop wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:49 am
Bumping. Anyone using Medusa as an MPE controller?
Not yet!

I have question for you guys. Is there any way to get wavetable smoothing? I seem to remember an interview with the polyend guy where he mentioned something about implementing it. I thought it was in the current firmware (2.02) but perhaps not.

Edit: The video was from Superbooth 2019. The smoothness seems to depend on which wavetable I choose. Some morph smoothly from wave to wave and some not. There is a nice selection.

Return to “General Gear”