Behringer clone of SH-101? MS-101

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Sat May 18, 2019 6:01 am

So far the Behringer Roland clones seem to not be as close as the Boog was to the original, and more Meh-ringer.

felixer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by felixer » Sat May 18, 2019 9:25 am

well, let's face it: the ms101 always was a cheap and pretty characterless synth. the cheapest in their range! could be good for a beginner ... but why is everybody so excited?
don't need midi, don't need keys, just want knobs and cables (all together now ;-)

Sounds From The Shed
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Sounds From The Shed » Sat May 18, 2019 9:28 am

Just to show you can play instruments rather than incessantly moan about them here's the 101 doing a moody piece.

I knocked my fucking Imac over and broke it's screen and took a lump out of the wood of my moog one so this video brouught a lot of pain!!! :waah:

[video][/video]

Sounds From The Shed
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Sounds From The Shed » Thu May 23, 2019 10:29 pm

[video][/video]

Nearly feel stressed posting videos here!

But anyway here's a short one showing some of the 101's Sequencer features.

I'd left out Transpose but yes it does do that also. :tu:

umma gumma
Veteran Wiggler

Post by umma gumma » Thu May 23, 2019 11:18 pm

Sounds From The Shed wrote:[video][/video]

Eurovision Weekend so time for some cheese!!!!

MS-101 Think's it's Sexy :love:
hahaha, hilarious!

nicely done

Sounds From The Shed
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Sounds From The Shed » Fri May 24, 2019 5:18 am

umma gumma wrote:
Sounds From The Shed wrote:[video][/video]

Eurovision Weekend so time for some cheese!!!!

MS-101 Think's it's Sexy :love:
hahaha, hilarious!

nicely done

Thanks, yeah that one was fun to do, I think my neighbours thought I was nuts when I was doing it and wondering what was going on :hihi:

xonetacular
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by xonetacular » Fri May 24, 2019 10:53 am

Panason wrote:So far the Behringer Roland clones seem to not be as close as the Boog was to the original, and more Meh-ringer.
I'm not so sure. I thought that at first but now I just think most people who got their hands on the MS101 early have never used a real SH101 or just don't have much experience in general so most demos we got sound pretty shit.

this in depth side by side shows they are really pretty damn close:

[video][/video]

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Fri May 24, 2019 12:26 pm

Failedmuso.com, ha ha, brilliant. Something I have often considered! Shame he didn't run some fast arpeggios so we can see how the envelopes behave. Clearly not a 101 owner!

The sh101 was my first synth... The most serious complaint I have seen about the MS 101 is that it lacks the auto portamento of the original which makes certain kinds of sequences not possible to do.

The basic tone seems to be there!

Man-In-A-Suitcase

Post by Man-In-A-Suitcase » Fri May 24, 2019 12:57 pm

Panason wrote:The most serious complaint I have seen about the MS 101 is that it lacks the auto portamento of the original which makes certain kinds of sequences not possible to do.
I hear Behringer are working on another update to include auto portamento, but it won't be any good, the MS-101 lacks the ability to add legato to a note. You can only increase the gate time which is effectively only adding a tie to notes.
Panason wrote:The basic tone seems to be there!
Yes, but the filter isn't quite there. The MS-101 is no SH-101.

Behringer best going back to drawing board and manufacture IR3109's. Although they claim to have copied the IC!

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Fri May 24, 2019 2:07 pm

Man-In-A-Suitcase wrote:Yes, but the filter isn't quite there. The MS-101 is no SH-101.

Behringer best going back to drawing board and manufacture IR3109's. Although they claim to have copied the IC!
ha, really?
sounds just like different calibration to me

Man-In-A-Suitcase

Post by Man-In-A-Suitcase » Fri May 24, 2019 4:00 pm

anselmi wrote:ha, really?
sounds just like different calibration to me
I have opened a MS-101 up, and there is nothing much in there, most of it is empty space apart from the metal framed keybed which gives the MS much of it's weight.

The control board is a long thin PCB, and the main board is a small square PCB, and i could not see any trimmers (unless they are onthe top surface of the control board). And there is a little board for the bender section.

acidbob
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by acidbob » Sat May 25, 2019 1:00 am

I have been searching youtube, forums etc. And I do I agree, I could not find a video that nails the sound of my 101, so I will keep it, however I am sure the MS-101 is a good synth, but it's not a SH-101 as far as I can tell, although the look is there, the boutique comes closer it seems. But then again, Its really hard when I havent actually played the MS-101 in real life, demos are sneaky like that - I am waiting for it to arrive at my local music store and then I will make the final decision. I think they nailed the Moog sound pretty good, I definitely like the Boog more than the Slim Phatty, SP was a tuning nightmare and the sound was just to hard for me, too modern perhaps, missing that good tone, dont know if more effort was put into making the Boog or what the deal is, maybe different teams and budgets?

Sounds From The Shed
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Sounds From The Shed » Sun May 26, 2019 10:19 am

[video][/video]

Here's one I did this morning with the 101, shows a bit of the versatility of the synth.

Again this is not an attempt to recreate classic sounds, which is not the reason I bought it, it is an audio demo of the MS-101 in a way I like to use it.

Anyway It's a bit different from a lot of the demo's out there so hopefully someone enjoys it :hihi: :tu:

And if not scroll on, I've had enough kicks in the balls here thanks!

Sounds From The Shed
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Sounds From The Shed » Mon May 27, 2019 9:26 am

[video][/video]

I'd been asked a few times about the Keyboard Transposing the sequencer and the tightness of external clock, so being a video making machine!! I put together this short video to show both working.

I took the external clock from an Erica Synths drum sequencer as opposed to the Squarp Pyramid or Toraiz Squid just to show it working with different gear.

Sounds From The Shed
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Sounds From The Shed » Thu May 30, 2019 5:31 am

[video][/video]

Cow Bells FTW!

Sounds From The Shed
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Sounds From The Shed » Thu May 30, 2019 3:13 pm

[video][/video]

I ran an Erica Drone System that was receiving CV and Gate from the 101 through the 101 External in, than ran the 101 out through an Erica FX Modular.

The 101 is clocked from the Techno System.

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Shledge » Fri May 31, 2019 1:25 pm

Had a long thought, decided I'm going to make it a miss for the MS-101. The altered sequencer and glide behaviour puts me off massively. They were the reasons why the SH-101 shined!

As for the tone, it's pretty close, but I feel it's a little more "overdriven". I bet if you don't put the waveforms to maximum volume, the resonance will sound more liquid in nature.

It's hard to make comparisons unless you have the ability to dial in the same sound. Most people don't. That's what frustrated me with the MS-101 comparison videos - they change random settings and wonder why it doesn't sound the same... except the most obvious ones which would. It just comes off that they don't have a fucking clue - the kind that make 10 minute boring songs on soundcloud that go nowhere, no progression, no energy, levelling all over the place... you know what I mean.

Sounds From The Shed
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Sounds From The Shed » Fri May 31, 2019 10:54 pm

Shledge wrote:Had a long thought, decided I'm going to make it a miss for the MS-101. The altered sequencer and glide behaviour puts me off massively. They were the reasons why the SH-101 shined!

As for the tone, it's pretty close, but I feel it's a little more "overdriven". I bet if you don't put the waveforms to maximum volume, the resonance will sound more liquid in nature.

It's hard to make comparisons unless you have the ability to dial in the same sound. Most people don't. That's what frustrated me with the MS-101 comparison videos - they change random settings and wonder why it doesn't sound the same... except the most obvious ones which would. It just comes off that they don't have a fucking clue - the kind that make 10 minute boring songs on soundcloud that go nowhere, no progression, no energy, levelling all over the place... you know what I mean.
Would you not consider trying one out? Gear4music have a 28 day return policy. That way you can try the sort of sounds you like or see if it's possible to make them?

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Shledge » Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:39 am

Nah. The tone is there, but everything else isn't. You don't get an SH-101 just for the tone. An MS-101 without the rubbery glide or simplistic sequencer is basically a botched SH-101 with the Nova mod installed.

Behringer made a hames of this one, likely because they were afraid Roland would complain, but I think they played too safe in that regard. It would have been very simple to make it a 100% clone. A shame considering how excellent the Model D is.

Sounds From The Shed
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Sounds From The Shed » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:38 am

Shledge wrote:Nah. The tone is there, but everything else isn't. You don't get an SH-101 just for the tone. An MS-101 without the rubbery glide or simplistic sequencer is basically a botched SH-101 with the Nova mod installed.

Behringer made a hames of this one, likely because they were afraid Roland would complain, but I think they played too safe in that regard. It would have been very simple to make it a 100% clone. A shame considering how excellent the Model D is.
See having never owned a 101 or had any real connection to it's classic sounds I've enjoyed sing it for what it is. But looking at it from the perspective of something I would feel that way about I can see where you are coming from.

For example, the Pro 1, If I can't channel my inner Vince Clarke and do the classic Upstairs at Erics sounds I'll be pissed off.

The early demos of it have been weird, just the kind of bleepy bloopy nonsense nothing musical so it's hard to tell if they have nailed it or not.
I think it's hard to judge from a demo as you're never going to get exactly what you want, but at least something close would help.

Anyway hopefully they have nailed it :tu:

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:29 am

Think neglecting being 4-voice like the new Roland module is a mistake.

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Shledge » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:58 pm

Not very easy to do a polyphonic synth cheaper than the minilogue, to be fair.

And polyphony would again ruin the SH-101 experience. Might aswell get a Juno if that were the case.

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:13 pm

hawkfuzz wrote:Think neglecting being 4-voice like the new Roland module is a mistake.
I only use the polyphony when Im sequencing other gear with it. Definitely not a deal breaker for me.
TOO FAR GONE

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:16 pm

Shledge wrote:Not very easy to do a polyphonic synth cheaper than the minilogue, to be fair.

And polyphony would again ruin the SH-101 experience. Might aswell get a Juno if that were the case.
I very much agree. Part of the charm absolutely lies in it being monophonic.
The BSII is paraphonic and the ONLY time I ever find myself using it is when and if I’m in Aphex mode and using it to make drums.
TOO FAR GONE

Sounds From The Shed
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Sounds From The Shed » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:19 am

[video][/video]

I ran a MS-101 sequence through the Toraiz Squid and then introduced the different wave forms one at a time, applying different filter and res adjustments, then ran through the FM modulations for each one.

This is the long version, I'm uploading the shorter version now, in this one after the initial waveform modulations I add some percussion, an arp and a bit of delay and create various sounds.

No talking shite or dragging the ass out of it just to hear my own voice just an old fashioned sound demo. That way you won't be distracted by my roughish good looks and charming Northern Irish accent!!!

I'll link the short version when it's uploaded.

[video][/video]

Return to “General Gear”