Behringer clone of SH-101? MS-101

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Shledge » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:48 pm

:roll:

Sounds From The Shed
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Sounds From The Shed » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:41 am

[video][/video]

Used the 101 for the Bass in this

Toraiz sequences the 101 and Boog D

The Monostation and Medusa are using their own sequencers.

Master clcok is from the Monostation

Percussion from Erica Techno System and DjS-1000

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:08 am

burrrrn! :rastanana:

jabberwalky
Common Wiggler

Post by jabberwalky » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:47 am

This really lost it's appeal for me. I ended up letting my pre-order lapse as it was delayed multiple times. I'm more than happy with the Sh01a boutique anyway (which sounds fantastic and has a literal footprint sized footprint). I might even contend that it sounds better based on the demos I've listened to.

Jason Brock
just visiting

Post by Jason Brock » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:57 pm

jabberwalky wrote:This really lost it's appeal for me.
Same here. I bought a Bass Station II instead. If I'm going to have a "close/almost 101", it might as well come with a second oscillator and multimode filter in tow.

Sounds From The Shed
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Sounds From The Shed » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:42 am

[video][/video]

A bit of 80's nostalgia with the MS-101 and Mono Station.

Ms-101 played live (1 bum note!!! :doh: ) and Monostation using its internal sequencer in paraphonic mode.

Sounds From The Shed
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Sounds From The Shed » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:40 am

[video][/video]

Bringing this thread back to life, I did another C64 song Last Ninja 2

Made use of my Modular to effect the sound plus a bit of detuning and modulation of the 101. Used it as lead this time as opposed to bass.

TechnoPrisoner
Common Wiggler

Post by TechnoPrisoner » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:24 pm

I was just wondering if the MS101 can sound like this while the filter is on self oscillation

https://youtu.be/-lxLhXXyfqI?t=924

Sounds From The Shed
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Sounds From The Shed » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:34 am

[video][/video]

Ms101 vs Impulse Command

Haven't used the MS-101 for a while so in this video I paired it up with a Generator Sequencer from which it was sequenced, modulated and transposed.

Used a Generator also with the Impulse Command

Using the Generator to sequence the 101 gives really quick and easy control over the gate signal and a load of different ways to send cv to modulate the filter. Out of all the ways I've sequenced it I'd argue this is the best sounding way :)

iSapien1956672
Common Wiggler

Post by iSapien1956672 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:09 am

So, maybe I'm late to this, but I just read this morning that the MS-101 is going to be changed to just MS-1 due to Roland heat.

Are the ones that got delivered to shops already getting pulled and renamed?
Will some people then post the original MS-101 at a collector price?
:hmm: :despair:

naos
Common Wiggler

Post by naos » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:05 am

Behringer should buy Roland TBH. Then their stuff could have good looks, maybe. And Roland would be analog again.

Fallen_lassen
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Fallen_lassen » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:01 am

:zombie:

Chopper
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Chopper » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:32 pm

Right, I gave in, and got myself a black one:
Midi bugs have been ironed.
My humble opinion (and i know the original very, very well. Had a few of them since the 80s.

The PWM calibration is weird. Not bad but not exactly like the original 101. You can easily get there tho.
The filter is not dead on, but not bad either. Very close but i can clearly hear the difference.
The env is annoying in the sense that it is rather linear. The original is far more exponential. It bothers me a bit as some of my favourite drum sounds are from the original 101 and not as snappy on the Berhinger. Ok for everything else, but for synthesizing drums, it's not as instant as on the Roland SH101.
I hate the sequencer with a passion. Those key combinations are simply annoying to me.
the portamento on being a glide and no portamento as such is a bit of a let down, but hey...
The extra fm mods are a big plus for more "modern" and interesting sounds.
I really appreciate the widening of the LFO rate, but the lfo being the main clock for the sequencer is a very important aspect of the sh101 that is really missing for my use.... That is a big minus for me
Build quality is not moog-like, but definitely not worse than the original.
The extra triangle is useful to fatten things a bit.

Overall, it's still very close and i am very happy with it. I can hear the difference for sure, but again i am very familiar with the Roland SH101. It looks as if i am bitching in my critics, but those are not that extreme. i am very happy with my purchase and this is going nowhere. In use, it is still the closest to the 101 experience and no one in your public would really spot the difference in a mix anyway. All the classic sounds are there for sure, as rubbery as you want them to be. It's a win to me.

Sounds From The Shed
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Sounds From The Shed » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:49 am

Chopper wrote:Right, I gave in, and got myself a black one:
Midi bugs have been ironed.
My humble opinion (and i know the original very, very well. Had a few of them since the 80s.

The PWM calibration is weird. Not bad but not exactly like the original 101. You can easily get there tho.
The filter is not dead on, but not bad either. Very close but i can clearly hear the difference.
The env is annoying in the sense that it is rather linear. The original is far more exponential. It bothers me a bit as some of my favourite drum sounds are from the original 101 and not as snappy on the Berhinger. Ok for everything else, but for synthesizing drums, it's not as instant as on the Roland SH101.
I hate the sequencer with a passion. Those key combinations are simply annoying to me.
the portamento on being a glide and no portamento as such is a bit of a let down, but hey...
The extra fm mods are a big plus for more "modern" and interesting sounds.
I really appreciate the widening of the LFO rate, but the lfo being the main clock for the sequencer is a very important aspect of the sh101 that is really missing for my use.... That is a big minus for me
Build quality is not moog-like, but definitely not worse than the original.
The extra triangle is useful to fatten things a bit.

Overall, it's still very close and i am very happy with it. I can hear the difference for sure, but again i am very familiar with the Roland SH101. It looks as if i am bitching in my critics, but those are not that extreme. i am very happy with my purchase and this is going nowhere. In use, it is still the closest to the 101 experience and no one in your public would really spot the difference in a mix anyway. All the classic sounds are there for sure, as rubbery as you want them to be. It's a win to me.
The MS-101 or MS1, what-ever it's called was always on target, the semantics are ignored by the majority and argued by the few, so well it's nice you have gave it a thumbs up it barely matters, Behringer got it right enough to matter and the bit that people think is wrong does not matter one bit. It's a figment of imagination born from nostalgia, drink and drugs. Play it don't moan about it and alls good :tu:

th0mas
Veteran Wiggler

Post by th0mas » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:35 pm

Sounds From The Shed wrote: so well it's nice you have gave it a thumbs up it barely matters
For someone who posts in the thread so frequently perhaps you could try to be more welcoming to other posters providing their opinion.

Chopper
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Chopper » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:52 pm

th0mas wrote:
Sounds From The Shed wrote: so well it's nice you have gave it a thumbs up it barely matters
For someone who posts in the thread so frequently perhaps you could try to be more welcoming to other posters providing their opinion.
Indeed.
Furthermore, yes, thumb up. But the comment about people moaning and bitching out of nostalgia and drugs or whatever, well, as i said, the original is to me an amazing drum sound synth in its own right due to its env. And again, although the difference is tiny, for drums, it really makes the difference between snappy and, well, not good enough. Yes, i am an SH101 purist. But i won't have a snobbish attitude and i still maintain that the Behringer version is an amazing synth for the dough. But i do believe my critics are noneless valid. Not everybody likes/dislikes the original or the Behringer for the same reasons after all, as not everybody uses it in the same situation, which is another strong point of the 101: it fits many genres and uses.

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Shledge » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:17 pm

People are picky due to the nature of how the 101 was used. IMO due to it's simplicity, unique parts and ironically, the cost cutting measures Roland employed, the differences in clones stand out more.

Same reason why other analogue Roland synths/drum machines are so hard to clone - the 808 used faulty parts deliberately, for example!

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:54 pm

Shledge wrote:People are picky due to the nature of how the 101 was used. IMO due to it's simplicity, unique parts and ironically, the cost cutting measures Roland employed, the differences in clones stand out more.

Same reason why other analogue Roland synths/drum machines are so hard to clone - the 808 used faulty parts deliberately, for example!

not a surprise if you think that the reputation of the most iconic roland products was not for their designs but how some people used them to make music

oscilloscope
Common Wiggler

Post by oscilloscope » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:26 am

So, what is the verdict ?

MS101 or SH01A ? Which one is sonically closest to the original ?

Chopper
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Chopper » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:31 am

Fellow owners: is there any way the sequencer rate can be synced to the lfo as per the original? Kinda really need that on what i work on right now... Thanks.

Sounds From The Shed
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Sounds From The Shed » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:28 am

[video][/video]

I ran the 101 through the Mr Hyde FX box in this one, subtle percussion and lead are from the Impulse Command.

I clocked and transposed and modulated the 101 and Impulse Command from Generator Sequencers.

So just 2 synths and 1 FX box this time.

Then I just tweaked the IC, 101 and Mr Hyde.

Re the question above I haven't found a way to clock the lfo to the sequencer as of yet.

Sounds From The Shed
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Sounds From The Shed » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:53 am

oscilloscope wrote:So, what is the verdict ?

This question will never get a definitive answer and is to put it politely pointless.

It's how you use it and the enjoyment you take from it that matters, not how close you can come to imitating a sound where the difference is negligible.

It's just a pointless argument......

oscilloscope
Common Wiggler

Post by oscilloscope » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:56 am

Sounds From The Shed wrote:

This question will never get a definitive answer and is to put it politely pointless.

It's how you use it and the enjoyment you take from it that matters, not how close you can come to imitating a sound where the difference is negligible.

To be perfectly frank, my interest in your opinion about my question is commensurate with my interest in my first boxer short.

:grin:

Sounds From The Shed
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Sounds From The Shed » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:45 am

oscilloscope wrote:
Sounds From The Shed wrote:

To be perfectly frank, my interest in your opinion about my question is commensurate with my interest in my first boxer short.

:grin:
Well I hope your first boxer shorts where comfortable, did'nt chaff and did full justice to the package :tu:

Anyway that aside I'm sitting in the shed watching videos on Bitwig 3 and wondering should I buy it, any opinions on it? :tu:

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Behringer clone of SH-101? MS-101

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:27 pm

Can we get a demo of this showing of the PWM/Bass sounds without grotesque amounts of filter modulation/FM? I'm thinking of selling my MC-202 and want something for bass duties, but most of the demos are showing raw oscillators totally flat, or with the LFO modulating the crap out of everything so it sounds like a complete mess. Also, any uses of the filter where it doesn't completely overwhelm the sound. I guess what I mean is, are there any demos with a bit of subtlety?

Has anyone heard a demo that shows the MS-1 doing something remotely close to what the MC-202 can do in this track:

I'm not saying it's incredible, but those are the type of sounds I'm looking to recreate.
Last edited by coolshirtdotjpg on Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
New video on Prophet 12 Drone Patches:
Prophet 12 Drone Patches

Return to “General Gear”