Behringer clone of SH-101? MS-101

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Chopper
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Behringer clone of SH-101? MS-101

Post by Chopper » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:48 pm

That's actually very close to what my partner does on the Behringer one when monopolising it.... I'll record something and you'll be the judge of it. But so far yes, definitely. Plus more possibilities/waveforms.....

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:28 pm

Chopper wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:48 pm
That's actually very close to what my partner does on the Behringer one when monopolising it.... I'll record something and you'll be the judge of it. But so far yes, definitely. Plus more possibilities/waveforms.....
Awesome, thanks Chopper!
New video on Prophet 12 Drone Patches:
Prophet 12 Drone Patches

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:58 am

I just bought an MS-1 that supposedly locked up during a firmware update (it was so cheap, I figured, worst case scenario I'd just run the whole thing under voltage control). Does anyone know if it's possible to update the thing using sysex librarian or something else. After doing some reading, it looks like it's just stuck in firmware update mode (all lights stay on). Once I get my hands on it, I'll have a better idea, but I am curious if anyone else has ran into this issue.
New video on Prophet 12 Drone Patches:
Prophet 12 Drone Patches

deftinwulf
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deftinwulf » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:39 pm

coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:58 am
I just bought an MS-1 that supposedly locked up during a firmware update (it was so cheap, I figured, worst case scenario I'd just run the whole thing under voltage control). Does anyone know if it's possible to update the thing using sysex librarian or something else. After doing some reading, it looks like it's just stuck in firmware update mode (all lights stay on). Once I get my hands on it, I'll have a better idea, but I am curious if anyone else has ran into this issue.
Hey there. Any luck with that factory reset? I'm considering picking up an MS-1 but the idea that they can be bricked by the firmware update is scaring me off... :eek: Hopefully you have some good news for us.

3hands
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re:

Post by 3hands » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:52 pm

xonetacular wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 10:53 am
Panason wrote:So far the Behringer Roland clones seem to not be as close as the Boog was to the original, and more Meh-ringer.
I'm not so sure. I thought that at first but now I just think most people who got their hands on the MS101 early have never used a real SH101 or just don't have much experience in general so most demos we got sound pretty shit.

this in depth side by side shows they are really pretty damn close:

[video][/video]
Apart from the envelopes. The snappy factor is no where close to an SH 101 or my SH 3a for that matter. Which, let’s be honest, is half it’s sound.
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

Chopper
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Re:

Post by Chopper » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:00 pm

3hands wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:52 pm
xonetacular wrote:
Panason wrote:So far the Behringer Roland clones seem to not be as close as the Boog was to the original, and more Meh-ringer.
I'm not so sure. I thought that at first but now I just think most people who got their hands on the MS101 early have never used a real SH101 or just don't have much experience in general so most demos we got sound pretty shit.

[video][/video]
Apart from the envelopes. The snappy factor is no where close to an SH 101 or my SH 3a for that matter. Which, let’s be honest, is half it’s sound.
I kinda agree in the sense that my original 101 is my "go to" synth for drum sounds. The env on the original is just perfect for this the Behringer one is more linear and less exponential. But for the rest, it's pretty darn close. On the other hand, it lends itself to far more complex sounds due to more waveforms, wider LFO speed and the filter fm. It depends what you are after, really. And again, the sequencer is far more powerful, but this is still something that bothers me somehow. I like the limitations of the original. But I prefer the Behringer for bass. The triangle waveform is really a plus.
Oh, and again, having the clock independent from the lfo is really something else that although bring more possibilities, void the SH101 sound. The seq rate being controlled by the LFO rate on the original is to me what defines the original 101 sound. From the PWM to the OSC to the filter, those synced modulations are the sound of the SH101 to me.

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:32 pm

coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:58 am
I just bought an MS-1 that supposedly locked up during a firmware update (it was so cheap,
Seems odd for someone to sell it cheap, as it must still be under warranty.

vadimred13
Learning to Wiggle

Post by vadimred13 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:30 pm

The ms1 sounds pretty damn good imo, but the biggest drawback is the sequencer and the way portamento behaves. No "auto" mode for portamento, which kinda stinks, but you can work around it by programming in glide notes. However, you cant just enable portamento to be always on without manually adding a glide note to every step, which is tedious, especially for longer sequences. Even though the sequencer allows you to edit your sequence step by step even after youve recorded it, I actually prefer the simplicity of the original sequencer. Also there are only 32 steps available, but that's never been a huge issue for me.

everydaycurry
Common Wiggler

Post by everydaycurry » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:04 am

Something changed in a later firmware regarding portamento - I think maybe you can change it so that it's off/auto instead of off/on? Either way you lose one of the three original options.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:44 pm

vadimred13 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:30 pm
The ms1 sounds pretty damn good imo, but the biggest drawback is the sequencer and the way portamento behaves. No "auto" mode for portamento, which kinda stinks, but you can work around it by programming in glide notes. However, you cant just enable portamento to be always on without manually adding a glide note to every step, which is tedious, especially for longer sequences. Even though the sequencer allows you to edit your sequence step by step even after youve recorded it, I actually prefer the simplicity of the original sequencer. Also there are only 32 steps available, but that's never been a huge issue for me.
work that porta knob (or switch) while running an external sequencer bro...this will makes it even more lively...I do this with my 101 and it´s great

Chopper
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Chopper » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:47 pm

Oh yes, the way it handles portamento sucks compared with the original...

3hands
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:14 pm

Chopper wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:00 pm
3hands wrote:
xonetacular wrote:

[video][/video]
I kinda agree in the sense that my original 101 is my "go to" synth for drum sounds. The env on the original is just perfect for this the Behringer one is more linear and less exponential. But for the rest, it's pretty darn close. On the other hand, it lends itself to far more complex sounds due to more waveforms, wider LFO speed and the filter fm. It depends what you are after, really. And again, the sequencer is far more powerful, but this is still something that bothers me somehow. I like the limitations of the original. But I prefer the Behringer for bass. The triangle waveform is really a plus.
Oh, and again, having the clock independent from the lfo is really something else that although bring more possibilities, void the SH101 sound. The seq rate being controlled by the LFO rate on the original is to me what defines the original 101 sound. From the PWM to the OSC to the filter, those synced modulations are the sound of the SH101 to me.
They definitely have the sound down for sure!! The filter is very close, and let’s be honest, when it’s THAT close, there’s 0 point in nitpicking. I haven’t had the 101 in years but my SH3a has that snap to it, and having a 101 without it is just meh. My go to mono now is the MS20 as I feel it’s the 101 on steroids, and I like the envelopes. Behringer nailed the 303 sound to my ears but fell short on the 101. Again, horses for courses. When it’s THAT close, nitpicking becomes more nerdy than needed! I hope you’re enjoying it! I may take up your recommendation for bass and pick one up anyways! The worst thing that can happen is I have another awesome mono!;)

My minds an art gallery.

Maffez
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Maffez » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:47 am

If you're not averse to tinkering, I found a couple of fixes for the LFO/Seq thing, dulling the white noise, and one or two more: https://maffez.com/?page_id=674

as for envelope shape, they look not linear at all on my jscope, yet the travel of the decay slider is a bit meh for sure

Chopper
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Chopper » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:20 am

3hands wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:14 pm
Chopper wrote:
3hands wrote:
xonetacular wrote:

[video][/video]
They definitely have the sound down for sure!! The filter is very close, and let’s be honest, when it’s THAT close, there’s 0 point in nitpicking. I haven’t had the 101 in years but my SH3a has that snap to it, and having a 101 without it is just meh. My go to mono now is the MS20 as I feel it’s the 101 on steroids, and I like the envelopes. Behringer nailed the 303 sound to my ears but fell short on the 101. Again, horses for courses. When it’s THAT close, nitpicking becomes more nerdy than needed! I hope you’re enjoying it! I may take up your recommendation for bass and pick one up anyways! The worst thing that can happen is I have another awesome mono!;)
I am a 101 fanatic (mostly MS20s, actually ... Got 3 of them) and my nitpicking with the behringer one is really just me nagging.... Most people use it differently and what is slightly different on the Behringer is in no way a deal breaker. It is still an amazing deal, and is, as the original, a giant sweet spot. There is a lot you can do with just one osc, one filter, one lfo and one env there... It complements the 303 nicely, as does the original. Funnily, I really see it as the opposite of the ms20, which is the strongest selling point... They complement each other nicely. Get one and enjoy those rubbery basses and SH style PWM hoovers. You know you love it😉

3hands
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:44 pm

Chopper wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:20 am
3hands wrote:
Chopper wrote:
3hands wrote:
xonetacular wrote:

[video][/video]
I am a 101 fanatic (mostly MS20s, actually ... Got 3 of them) and my nitpicking with the behringer one is really just me nagging.... Most people use it differently and what is slightly different on the Behringer is in no way a deal breaker. It is still an amazing deal, and is, as the original, a giant sweet spot. There is a lot you can do with just one osc, one filter, one lfo and one env there... It complements the 303 nicely, as does the original. Funnily, I really see it as the opposite of the ms20, which is the strongest selling point... They complement each other nicely. Get one and enjoy those rubbery basses and SH style PWM hoovers. You know you love it😉
I LOVE my MS20. And I love that you have made an argument about the contrast between it and the MS01. I’ve gotten Behringers TD3, and am going to grab the 101 clone and see how I do with it! Thank you tons Chopper!

Ps: we need to chat MS20 shop sometime, as there are some things I’m just not getting with the patch panel! :)

Cheers mate!

My minds an art gallery.

3hands
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:44 pm

Chopper wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:20 am
3hands wrote:
Chopper wrote:
3hands wrote:
xonetacular wrote:

[video][/video]
I LOVE my MS20. And I love that you have made an argument about the contrast between it and the MS01. I’ve gotten Behringers TD3, and am going to grab the 101 clone and see how I do with it! Thank you tons Chopper!

Ps: we need to chat MS20 shop sometime, as there are some things I’m just not getting with the patch panel! :)

Cheers mate!

My minds an art gallery.

Chopper
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Chopper » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:52 am

Anytime!😊

Return to “General Gear”