uhm. Digitakt is king.

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

Post Reply
User avatar
stikygum
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1069
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:56 pm

Post by stikygum » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:01 pm

idm wrote:
stikygum wrote:Has no one here tried the Synthstrom Deluge? :doh: People really smoke the Elektron crack everywhere and don't realize there are even better products than what's being posted here. So here's the rundown:

https://synthstrom.com/product/deluge/

The Deluge already has CV and Gate outs with Clock In. You guys should check it out. Everything you guys mentioned the Digitakt is lacking, the Deluge has and is ingenious in it's implementation of them. That's great people like the Digitakt, but...

Deluge > Digitakt

:sb:
Lots of menu diving on a tiny digit screen. No thanks. And lack of knobs. It's just different. Also interesting, but different.
All the parameters of the Deluge is 1 button push away. Each parameter has a dedicated button. Synthstrom assigned every parameter to one of the pads in the matrix. It's very weird because initially I wondered the same as you how this was going to be intuitive, but it actually is. Because you can actually read every single parameter that exists from just looking at the face plate instead of going into menus.

Most Elektron gear has 8 knobs to tweak per page, but isn't Elektron known for their button pushing, going back and forth between menus. Everytime I watch Cink demo an Elektron unit, he is going rapid fire on the buttons.

UndercoverBrother
Common Wiggler
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:40 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Post by UndercoverBrother » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:57 am

I'm quite curious about the deluge, it looks different, great specs on paper, but apart from a couple of vocal evangelists, nothing much to hear from it, and not a single interesting demo of what it can do, I believe. It's been out for a while.
I don't really care about which one is better, it's a sterile debate, but what speaks in favor of the Digitakt is how easy people come up with stuff with it, share it, etc. within a week, you could see people abusing its specs, transforming the drum machine it is designed to be into a convincing wavetable synth, drone machine, granular machine, etc. That's clever design, it appeals for creativity and does not even try to be a groove machine. Still a bit buggy, some limited filters and midi control options, not the most refined sample machine that crossed my path but my favorite so far.

User avatar
Heaven
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:10 pm
Location: London

Post by Heaven » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:58 am

I'm absolutely smitten with my Digitakt. It's a little box full of joy.
I have been preparing my live set with 208hp case and an octatrack, and recently swapped Octa for DT and I'm in love.
The simplicity of DT together with its suave user interface and backlit buttons is a pure wonder. And it can do BPM per fucking pattern! Conditional trigs are a pure marvel.
Its small footprint also makes it so portable. I can put my modular case, Digitakt and some cables in my rucksack and off I go. Digitakt is so pure. It's lit.

User avatar
stikygum
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1069
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:56 pm

Post by stikygum » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:11 am

UndercoverBrother wrote:I'm quite curious about the deluge, it looks different, great specs on paper, but apart from a couple of vocal evangelists, nothing much to hear from it, and not a single interesting demo of what it can do, I believe. It's been out for a while.
I don't really care about which one is better, it's a sterile debate, but what speaks in favor of the Digitakt is how easy people come up with stuff with it, share it, etc. within a week, you could see people abusing its specs, transforming the drum machine it is designed to be into a convincing wavetable synth, drone machine, granular machine, etc. That's clever design, it appeals for creativity and does not even try to be a groove machine. Still a bit buggy, some limited filters and midi control options, not the most refined sample machine that crossed my path but my favorite so far.
The Digitakt has no waiting list like the Deluge and is produced in higher quantities. And there are people like me that own one and don't post videos of gear.

When you say wavetable synth, what are you talking about, wave sequencing or using actual wavetables?

User avatar
Dave Mech
Common Wiggler
Posts: 124
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:41 pm

Post by Dave Mech » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:19 am

stikygum wrote:
idm wrote:
stikygum wrote:Has no one here tried the Synthstrom Deluge? :doh: People really smoke the Elektron crack everywhere and don't realize there are even better products than what's being posted here. So here's the rundown:

https://synthstrom.com/product/deluge/

The Deluge already has CV and Gate outs with Clock In. You guys should check it out. Everything you guys mentioned the Digitakt is lacking, the Deluge has and is ingenious in it's implementation of them. That's great people like the Digitakt, but...

Deluge > Digitakt

:sb:
Lots of menu diving on a tiny digit screen. No thanks. And lack of knobs. It's just different. Also interesting, but different.
All the parameters of the Deluge is 1 button push away. Each parameter has a dedicated button. Synthstrom assigned every parameter to one of the pads in the matrix. It's very weird because initially I wondered the same as you how this was going to be intuitive, but it actually is. Because you can actually read every single parameter that exists from just looking at the face plate instead of going into menus.

Most Elektron gear has 8 knobs to tweak per page, but isn't Elektron known for their button pushing, going back and forth between menus. Everytime I watch Cink demo an Elektron unit, he is going rapid fire on the buttons.
Deluge is certainly interesting, but digitakt is amazing for live use. For live, I need knobs.

The button pushing on the digitakt is as true as the button pushing on deluge. Deluge mostly has buttons doesn't it? ;) even though they are pads. The digitakt has many dedicated buttons to go directly to a page and the 8 encoders then correspond to that page. With func+button you get extra pages, but that is it. No submenu's, except for loading samples etc.
For live use this is very quick and powerful.
Not saying either one is better. To each their own. :)

User avatar
prae
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 464
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:50 pm

Post by prae » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:42 am

drip.feed wrote:I came close to buying one a few weeks ago, but lack of song mode stopped me. I bought an RS-7000 instead.
this comment made you my favourite person on the internet, overnight
:doepfer:

User avatar
cupperwear
Common Wiggler
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:08 pm

Post by cupperwear » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:27 pm

Heaven wrote:I'm absolutely smitten with my Digitakt. It's a little box full of joy.
I have been preparing my live set with 208hp case and an octatrack, and recently swapped Octa for DT and I'm in love.
The simplicity of DT together with its suave user interface and backlit buttons is a pure wonder. And it can do BPM per fucking pattern! Conditional trigs are a pure marvel.
Its small footprint also makes it so portable. I can put my modular case, Digitakt and some cables in my rucksack and off I go. Digitakt is so pure. It's lit.
I agree with all this. Though I liked my octatrack, the lack of BPM per pattern was infuriating. And having dedicated conditional trigs (not the cond trig "trick" on the OT) alone makes the digitakt worth it to me, but obviously it depends on one's needs.

User avatar
stikygum
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1069
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:56 pm

Post by stikygum » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:59 pm

cupperwear wrote:
Heaven wrote:I'm absolutely smitten with my Digitakt. It's a little box full of joy.
I have been preparing my live set with 208hp case and an octatrack, and recently swapped Octa for DT and I'm in love.
The simplicity of DT together with its suave user interface and backlit buttons is a pure wonder. And it can do BPM per fucking pattern! Conditional trigs are a pure marvel.
Its small footprint also makes it so portable. I can put my modular case, Digitakt and some cables in my rucksack and off I go. Digitakt is so pure. It's lit.
I agree with all this. Though I liked my octatrack, the lack of BPM per pattern was infuriating. And having dedicated conditional trigs (not the cond trig "trick" on the OT) alone makes the digitakt worth it to me, but obviously it depends on one's needs.
Hopefully the mk2 will take care those?

User avatar
itijik
Three eyed monster
Posts: 1808
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:31 am
Location: California, USA

Post by itijik » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:48 am

I'm having fun with mine. I just got into conditional triggers, creating dnb amen break variations...check out the VIDEO

User avatar
Parametex
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 569
Joined: Sat May 09, 2009 4:08 pm

Post by Parametex » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:04 am

Can you program glides/slides/portamento to the samples in DIGITAKT ?

User avatar
Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 6107
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:08 pm
Location: on a big voyage

Post by Funky40 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:16 am

conditional triggs for the win
:love:

User avatar
High Wolf
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 742
Joined: Fri May 15, 2015 4:09 pm
Location: France

Post by High Wolf » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:55 am

I had a weird thing happening during a live set this week end. I accidentally entered a shortcut combo because my fingers slipped on some keys. Then the keys of my DT started to flash green and purple, which I've never seen before (using it for 2 or 3 months now). And no sample would play, no matter if the audio tracks were on mute or not. I was like "WTF". So I stopped, turn off the power an turn it on again (luckily it's pretty quick) but still the same. At least midi sequences kept working (thank god). Later when I changed pattern it worked again.

After a look on the manual this morning it looks like I accidentally entered "pattern mute" mode...Just want to share so if some thing happen to you, you know what's going on. Between us, I wonder what's the necessity of a "pattern mute" mode. You either play a pattern or you don't, right?

User avatar
slicetwo
Common Wiggler
Posts: 248
Joined: Tue May 03, 2016 9:59 am
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Contact:

Post by slicetwo » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:17 am

I've considered the DT, but with the prices of OTmki coming down so much, it almost seems silly to buy one. I mean, I've already got an OT, but it might not hurt to have another one. Though the DT could be worth it almost just for the conditional trigs. Plus, the size of the DT means it's much more portable. If it had drum synthesis, as well, I'd be all about it. Though, at the moment, I'm considering picking up a Rytm mki once I sell my MDUW+. I figure that has enough sampling to accompany the OT, and the drum synthesis is dope.

User avatar
hinterlands303
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 900
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 3:57 pm
Location: Detroit

Post by hinterlands303 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:18 pm

Muse FTW wrote:I've had trouble getting the DT to work with my uMIDI properly, but I'll be picking up a Yarns to really take advantage of the MIDI sequencing.
Did you figure out getting μMidi and Digitakt working together? I was thinking about picking up a μmidi to go with the digitakt but maybe I'm better off with Yarns?

User avatar
Dave Mech
Common Wiggler
Posts: 124
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:41 pm

Post by Dave Mech » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:34 am

High Wolf wrote:I had a weird thing happening during a live set this week end. I accidentally entered a shortcut combo because my fingers slipped on some keys. Then the keys of my DT started to flash green and purple, which I've never seen before (using it for 2 or 3 months now). And no sample would play, no matter if the audio tracks were on mute or not. I was like "WTF". So I stopped, turn off the power an turn it on again (luckily it's pretty quick) but still the same. At least midi sequences kept working (thank god). Later when I changed pattern it worked again.

After a look on the manual this morning it looks like I accidentally entered "pattern mute" mode...Just want to share so if some thing happen to you, you know what's going on. Between us, I wonder what's the necessity of a "pattern mute" mode. You either play a pattern or you don't, right?
Pattern mute mode is all I use. It allows you to save certain mute states within a pattern. You don't mute patterns with it :P. You mute tracks within pattern, unlike global mute mode where you mute a track globally.
Wonderful to switch patterns and have the tracks you want muted already muted. I have a lot of differ ent tracks and grooves within one project so global mute mode is more or less useless for me live :).

User avatar
High Wolf
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 742
Joined: Fri May 15, 2015 4:09 pm
Location: France

Post by High Wolf » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:38 am

idm wrote:
High Wolf wrote:I had a weird thing happening during a live set this week end. I accidentally entered a shortcut combo because my fingers slipped on some keys. Then the keys of my DT started to flash green and purple, which I've never seen before (using it for 2 or 3 months now). And no sample would play, no matter if the audio tracks were on mute or not. I was like "WTF". So I stopped, turn off the power an turn it on again (luckily it's pretty quick) but still the same. At least midi sequences kept working (thank god). Later when I changed pattern it worked again.

After a look on the manual this morning it looks like I accidentally entered "pattern mute" mode...Just want to share so if some thing happen to you, you know what's going on. Between us, I wonder what's the necessity of a "pattern mute" mode. You either play a pattern or you don't, right?
Pattern mute mode is all I use. It allows you to save certain mute states within a pattern. You don't mute patterns with it :P. You mute tracks within pattern, unlike global mute mode where you mute a track globally.
Wonderful to switch patterns and have the tracks you want muted already muted. I have a lot of differ ent tracks and grooves within one project so global mute mode is more or less useless for me live :).
Oh really, sounds interesting then, gotta check that out!

User avatar
Jason Brock
just visiting
Posts: 4283
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:32 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Post by Jason Brock » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:15 am

cupperwear wrote:I've used an MPC1000 w/JJOS off and on for years and have enjoyed working with it, but my DT is a new love. They have very different feature sets, but despite its shortcomings, I most appreciate the immediacy of the DT. I can turn it on and quickly make music and control my midi gear, which is the whole point. For me, its relative simplicity has been its strength.
I'm interestd in hearing more details, i.e. What specifically do you use the Digitakt for (drums, phrases?) and how is it more immediate? Just curious. I'm all about gear that is easier to use. Sometimes I really prefer my Electribe ES-1 over the MPC for that reason.

User avatar
jonne74
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1113
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:43 am
Location: Göteborg, Sweden

Post by jonne74 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:31 pm

Has anyone made a game of life-like track with the conditional triggers? An ever evolving piece. Should be possible, right?

User avatar
cupperwear
Common Wiggler
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:08 pm

Post by cupperwear » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:21 pm

Jason Brock wrote:
cupperwear wrote:I've used an MPC1000 w/JJOS off and on for years and have enjoyed working with it, but my DT is a new love. They have very different feature sets, but despite its shortcomings, I most appreciate the immediacy of the DT. I can turn it on and quickly make music and control my midi gear, which is the whole point. For me, its relative simplicity has been its strength.
I'm interestd in hearing more details, i.e. What specifically do you use the Digitakt for (drums, phrases?) and how is it more immediate? Just curious. I'm all about gear that is easier to use. Sometimes I really prefer my Electribe ES-1 over the MPC for that reason.
Yes, I use the DT primarily for drums, but as it also mangles samples well with p-locks and cond trigs, I'll often record in some random samples (hardware synths, youtube, etc.), which is very quick, and see where that takes me. This alone is something I couldn't do easily with JJ, though I could control other gear with midi cc commands, but having p-locks at your fingertips fuels creativity. Even little things like the fact that my project saves automatically compared to having to manually save my MPC projects is a big plus when you're trying to stay focused. I felt fairly proficient with the MPC with using customized templates and autoload files, but the modern workflow of the OT and DT has been more fun and inspiring to me.

One thing I've been doing with the DT, which isn't some huge revelation, but has been fun and has helped bridge software/hardware, is assign the midi cc page to various FX in logic. For example, for my modular midi tracks, i'll assign the midi page to a really cool reverb/delay plugin I downloaded recently called "Diffuse". I can then easily tweak and record the values with the DT instead of using the mouse, leaving me with another way to avoid using the computer. You could do this with the MPC, but it was clunkier to me.

nkdvkng
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:37 am
Location: Miami, FL

Post by nkdvkng » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:41 am

UndercoverBrother wrote:I'm quite curious about the deluge, it looks different, great specs on paper, but apart from a couple of vocal evangelists, nothing much to hear from it, and not a single interesting demo of what it can do, I believe. It's been out for a while.
I don't really care about which one is better, it's a sterile debate, but what speaks in favor of the Digitakt is how easy people come up with stuff with it, share it, etc. within a week, you could see people abusing its specs, transforming the drum machine it is designed to be into a convincing wavetable synth, drone machine, granular machine, etc. That's clever design, it appeals for creativity and does not even try to be a groove machine. Still a bit buggy, some limited filters and midi control options, not the most refined sample machine that crossed my path but my favorite so far.

I've wondered the same. Also getting some demos of the Deluge doing various genres of music to appeal to all customers as well.

nkdvkng
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:37 am
Location: Miami, FL

Post by nkdvkng » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:45 am

Conditional Trigs, P-Locks are always lots of fun. I used to do music mainly on MPC's, then ableton. Then the OT and my op-1, been using DT alot more lately and its really great. The simplicity and flow are epic.

User avatar
tehyar
I dream in SciFi
Posts: 1282
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:23 am
Location: Ohio, USA

Post by tehyar » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:12 pm

Finally got to spend some time with this. In the past I've struggled to really "get" Elektron stuff. Took a chance with this from what I saw in the videos. I have to say, it's fucking brilliant. If you think the lack of song mode is a deal breaker then you might be missing out. This thing is an instrument, not a studio center. It's a lot of fun. My brother sent me a file of him noodling around on the 0-coast. I recorded a bit of it, hacked it up into chunks within minutes, some down to the granular level, and had patterns going almost immediately. Then I hit record on the DAW, and put it in mute mode, started turning stuff off and on, twisting parameters on the fly. Got some great variety that I can scavenge to turn into a song. And that's just a single pattern. And I haven't even touched conditional trigs yet.

It doesn't have to do everything to be a great instrument. If a keyboard had to do everything to be a great keyboard, we'd all own a Kronos. :hihi:

I can't wait to see where this thing takes me.

User avatar
Pase
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 564
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 11:00 am
Location: Sestri Levante

Post by Pase » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:04 am

This is the first Elektron device that I think I could learn,
Me think I want one ugh :moneyburn:

User avatar
Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 6107
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:08 pm
Location: on a big voyage

Post by Funky40 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:00 pm

tehyar wrote:If a keyboard had to do everything to be a great keyboard, we'd all own a Kronos. :hihi:
:hihi:

probably one of the best sayings i ever read in this forum.

User avatar
AdamJay
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1039
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:48 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN USA

Post by AdamJay » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:12 pm

tehyar wrote: If you think the lack of song mode is a deal breaker then you might be missing out. This thing is an instrument, not a studio center.
Dag, where were you (and your voice of reason) when I returned that Warwick 5 string bass because it had no song mode?
:lol:

Post Reply

Return to “General Gear”