KOMA Field Kit FX - CV Controlled Multi Effects Processor

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Wiggling with Experience

Post by 61050 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:49 pm

Interesting. I believe then I could fit the small tank right behind my DFAM as that is quite shallow. I'm not terribly worried about flexibility and would want the tank mostly so that the reverb section actually just does something instead of wasting space. I am not going to have the cash for it until January, but I may hit you up if it's still available. Thanks for the info and the head's up!

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by R.U.Nuts » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:43 pm

I recently stumbled over this unit and am quite interested in it but there's one thing I don't understand: Neither the delay nor the reverb seem to have a dry/wet blend control. Are these effects only outputting the wet signal?

MrNovember
Ultra Wiggler

Post by MrNovember » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:34 pm

R.U.Nuts wrote:I recently stumbled over this unit and am quite interested in it but there's one thing I don't understand: Neither the delay nor the reverb seem to have a dry/wet blend control. Are these effects only outputting the wet signal?
Wet only, which is a bit of a pain as I always end up using a second input in the mixer section for a wet/dry control

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by R.U.Nuts » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:42 am

MrNovember wrote:
R.U.Nuts wrote:I recently stumbled over this unit and am quite interested in it but there's one thing I don't understand: Neither the delay nor the reverb seem to have a dry/wet blend control. Are these effects only outputting the wet signal?
Wet only, which is a bit of a pain as I always end up using a second input in the mixer section for a wet/dry control
Well, that's great for me. Because I want to use the FKFX with a matrix mixer or a traditional mixer's send channels.

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by R.U.Nuts » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:22 pm

Another question: Did anybody here try to hack the FKFX? It would be neat to have a gate input for the record/start/stop button of the looper and Individual outs for the mixer channels...

jeeWilly
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jeeWilly » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:02 pm

Got mine a few days ago and super happy with my decision!! Love how much character all the FX have. Little annoying to take a 2 channels for wet dry but not the worst just means I need more mults and stackables.

Favorite thing so far is the SSR and bitcrusher on some drums with a seperate channel delaying all the high frequencies :nana:

SinkWhole
Common Wiggler

Post by SinkWhole » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:24 pm

spacezignul wrote:
starthief wrote:Wrong impedance on the tank? Bad connections maybe? Grounding issues? Input and output reversed? I had trouble with the first cable set I was using, switched it out and it's fine now.

The spring reverb amp is horribly noisy with nothing connected, but it settles down nicely when I have it plugged in.
Even with no tank cables connected the reverb output is just constantly noisy, not just noisy but it's kind of a static noise which makes me think that there is something wrong. I've tried different set ups to no avail
What’s the scoop with this? Is it indicative of a faulty unit or do all units have the reverb noise? Just got one and the Expansion kit tank. Reverb is noisey exactly as described by some other users in the thread.

SinkWhole
Common Wiggler

Post by SinkWhole » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:08 am

Also. Is it normal build to have a big gap between the faceplate and the wooden case? Big strip of red glow leaking out along bottom of mine. Doesn’t bother me but it’s big enough to possibly affect future resale value/complaints if it isn’t normal.
Thanks

elil
Learning to Wiggle

Post by elil » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:30 am

So, has that spring reverb noise issue been sorted out?
Thanks

Warius
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Warius » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:15 am

@elil I got a Springray Intellijel Medium tank. There was a lot of noise with the provided super cheap rca cable. There is not with another, slightly less cheap cable I had lying around. Don't think there is an issue with the field kit (which is kinda lo fi, sure) but there is with the cable one might use.

@Sinkwhole Yes, there is a gap between the enclosure and the unit. Light seeps through. The gap is not super wide in my opinion. I guess that gap comes from the enclosure being from plywood & it being nailed together. That's just how the thing is built. Don't think it'll effect resale value.

MrBiggs
I see dead people

Post by MrBiggs » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:16 am

Question about that PT2399 delay. I love the old Sound of Shadows module and the Synthrotek DLY for their abilities to wind down that delay to where it just crunches and stops, and springs back again with a little push.
How is the delay on the FKFX? Did they try to tame it, or let it run free as it should? I've listened to several demos and videos and can't find any that really show off the delay's characteristics. Thanks.
•Music and stuff: Dance Robot Dance.
•Current contents:Modulargrid

Pixelator
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Pixelator » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:32 am

Is it possible to clock the sequencer or delay? I don't see any clock input.

Al
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Al » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:23 pm

My reverb was very noisy as well using the stock Koma cable for the reverb that came with the "expansion" pack. I swapped out to a new cable and the noise diminished to an acceptable level (keeping in mind that the unit is not hi-fi to begin with) but is still noticeable. It is, however, usable now.

MrBiggs
I see dead people

Post by MrBiggs » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:27 pm

Al wrote:My reverb was very noisy as well using the stock Koma cable for the reverb that came with the "expansion" pack. I swapped out to a new cable and the noise diminished to an acceptable level (keeping in mind that the unit is not hi-fi to begin with) but is still noticeable. It is, however, usable now.
Same here. I'd read this thread before getting it, and wasn't surprised. It was really really terrible. Plugged in a better cable, and done.
I bought mine used quite inexpensively from someone who said it was "untested." I knew I was taking a chance, and in fact the 9v power supply is shot. Koma is periodically in communication about getting this fixed. I say periodically because they go several days without replying, then I'll get several at once with almost no useful information.
It works powered via Eurorack (allowing me to test that reverb) so I might just end up getting a 4ms pod for it. Slick little box.
•Music and stuff: Dance Robot Dance.
•Current contents:Modulargrid

robkramble
Common Wiggler

Post by robkramble » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:01 am

Looks like Can in a box. I like it.

[video][/video]

Exuviae
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Exuviae » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:38 am

Pixelator wrote:Is it possible to clock the sequencer or delay? I don't see any clock input.
Indeed, you can. The threshold input on the roll-o-decks (sequencer/envelope) works as a comparator to advance the steps. The delay time can be controlled via cv.

Voltcontrol
Wiggling with Experience

Re: KOMA Field Kit FX - CV Controlled Multi Effects Processor

Post by Voltcontrol » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:56 am

It's been a while since this has been out, any feedback from owners on ease of use, reliability and how often you use it would be highly appreciated!

Return to “General Gear”