KOMA Field Kit FX - CV Controlled Multi Effects Processor

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:09 pm

GovernorSilver wrote:
starthief wrote:The phaser was going to be a secret mode of the frequency shifter.
But you guys are talking about the software in GIT, not the firmware that's actually in the hardware right?
What's in Github is the source code for what's actually in the hardware. It covers the UI logic as well as the code for the frequency shifter and looper.
If FM overkill is wrong, I don't want to be right. ★ starthief.bandcamp.comstarthief.netModularGrid

GovernorSilver
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GovernorSilver » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:32 pm

I should have looked at the manual - my bad. I didn't realize there's a hidden USB port for uploading updated software.

The product pages state the phase is an "easter egg" - maybe they changed their minds about including it. Or maybe it's really, really well hidden.
2.10 Open Source Software
We believe in the possibility for our users to open up our gear and
tweak certain things themselves. This is one of the reasons why we
made all the information regarding the original Field Kit available and
also made it available as a DIY kit!
This time, due to technical complexity of the device, we decided it’s
better not to have the Field Kit FX available as a DIY unit, but instead
we want to give everyone access to the source code of the
DSP
en
-
gine and the user interface itself.
The code is commented, so even if you are not an experienced
programmer you can tweak certain settings and see the results! We
encourage programmers to play around with the code and share it
with other users.
This is how you upload the updated code to this device: There is a
USB port hidden behind the front panel that will allow reflashing the
micro controller in the Field Kit FX. Just unscrew the front panel as
described above, connect to a PC via USB and transfer new code
to the device and you’re good to go! For more information, visit our
website koma-elektronik.com.
Member of Alliance for Synth Farting

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:55 am

Finally had the time try mine out. I went with a single sound source, namely a PO drums, and was amazed how versatile the FKFX can be. It's super nice, crunchy and flexible.

I was bummed to find that the spring tank I got from Koma did not work due to a broken connection, so I can't attest to the spring reverb side of things, but I can say that the rest is totally worth it.
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

appliancide
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by appliancide » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:00 pm

Paranormal Patroler wrote:Finally had the time try mine out. I went with a single sound source, namely a PO drums, and was amazed how versatile the FKFX can be. It's super nice, crunchy and flexible.

I was bummed to find that the spring tank I got from Koma did not work due to a broken connection, so I can't attest to the spring reverb side of things, but I can say that the rest is totally worth it.
I ordered mine in May and it’s still stuck in usps limbo! Hopefully will get it soon. It’s been “in transport” from 3 miles away for 4 days now.

pronk
1-Post Wiggler

Post by pronk » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:40 am

I love the way the delay sounds on this, as it gets longer it gets very rough! I was planning on putting the bit crusher in the delay path but it doesn't really need it for longer delays.

It would be really great if it had an LFO or even just noise generator for CV, although you can sort of approximate it by setting the roll-o-decks to run really fast. A filter would be useful too.

I think it should be possible to code something like that.. I may give it a try. Bit scared about breaking it though.

1n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by 1n » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:53 am

Paranormal Patroler wrote:spring tank
It's massive.

I found out about the Instruo Tanh(3) a couple of days ago and want to try it with FKFX reverb feedback.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:46 am

The Tone controls are a filter, somewhat. Tanh would make a good companion to this, good point. Still bummed about that reverb - need to buy a soldering gun :cry:
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

/\/\/\/\/\/
Common Wiggler

Post by /\/\/\/\/\/ » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:57 am

pronk wrote:It would be really great if it had an LFO
They probably figured that was covered with the original.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:26 pm

1n wrote:I found out about the Instruo Tanh(3) a couple of days ago and want to try it with FKFX reverb feedback.
I'm kind of thinking about it. I find that Bastl Dynamo works really well for feedback control using the internal VCA mixer -- easy to set up infinite sustain without having it running away. Putting the frequency shifter and delay, and/or filters or something like Rings, into the feedback loop is pretty fantastic too.

A couple of the tracks on my most recent album were based on that. The spring reverb sort of evolves on its own while the Dynamo clamps down or opens up the VCA as needed.
If FM overkill is wrong, I don't want to be right. ★ starthief.bandcamp.comstarthief.netModularGrid

appliancide
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by appliancide » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:07 pm

First impressions:

After a brief miscommunication, Koma more than made up for it. Thanks to the folks at Koma!

Build quality looks great on my eurorack version. I never noticed that the panels were white with black printing. Very sharp in person!

I was hoping to switch the included power cable for one of the 22awg individual wire assemblies that modular addict is offering now, but the connectors on those cables sits a bit higher, preventing the module from fitting between the rails. Not that big of a deal, as the voltage drop on a short ribbon cable isn't a big concern.

I've barely scratched the surface of what it can do sound-wise. I knew what to expect with the delay, as I have a similar circuit in a nonlinearcircuits module that I just built. Thankfully the field kit allows the delay chip to be pushed to the limits for noisy, crunchy fun. I haven't demoed the spring reverb yet. The only unknown there is how the filter compares to the tilt eq in the music thing reverb I have. It will be fun to compare the small tank that came with it to a big one that I have. I need to spend more time with digital stuff, but the frequency shifter seems properly bonkers.

The CV bus is great. It makes you immediately want a bunch more CV inputs, but then you remember that this module is priced very reasonably. Besides, limitations inspire creativity right?

Bottom line:

Based on the value for the features you get, I would recommend this anyone who has been considering it. That, plus my experience with the nice people Koma, means that I will be buying the DIY version of the first Field Kit in the near future.

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:56 pm

I made this recording while on vacation with an MC-202 and the field kit with an early 2000s audio interface: https://repairerofreputations.bandcamp. ... nted-alone

It's really amazing how much you can do with just a monosynth and the field kit.
New video for my track
Opening The Portal

mhtones
Dreams in CV

Post by mhtones » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:17 pm

Just bought a field kit fx from Control! But, will need to buy a spring reverb tank. I'd like to get something good, but have heard that one has got to pay attention to spring tank specifications (is it impedance specs that are important ?).

Can any of you recommend a good medium sized tank that is compatible with the FKFX?

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:29 pm

mhtones wrote:Can any of you recommend a good medium sized tank that is compatible with the FKFX?
There's a compatibility guide in the manual.

I've got an Accutronics 2EB2C1B (2-spring, medium decay) and a Mod 8BB3C1B (3-spring, short tank, long decay).

Here's a very quick FM pluck from Plaits into the Accutronics and then the Mod, with the same settings on the FKFX (feedback is about 10 o'clock and the dry signal is mixed with the reverb):

Spring Reverb test

I actually prefer the sound of the Accutronics a little better personally, but in most contexts they're pretty close. Also with two springs you can easily lay a fat fountain pen or something across the springs to rattle a little bit :mrgreen:

I'm a bit curious about how other tanks might sound, but that's what I've got.

This afternoon I switched mine from a Eurorack panel to the box (I chose the wrong thing during the Kickstarter and couldn't change it, but wrote to support to straighten it out).

-- Why the panels are two different sizes I'm not sure, but the box version panel is about 3/4 of an inch shorter from top to bottom. A little more compact than Euro but if I were them, I'd probably have stuck with a single size to save some costs.

-- There are 16 nuts to loosen on the front panel. Not too hard with a socket wrench; I was worried about scratching the panel but it was fine. What wasn't fine was over-tightening the nuts after swapping panels and breaking the plastic threads on CV input #4. It still works and it's rare that I need more than two CV inputs, so only a slight bummer there.

-- There's a set of three jumpers mounted between the two PCBs. You have to separate the two PCBs attached by several headers/sockets to switch them over. This is in the manual, but I had to check it twice to find it.

-- It does run off typical guitar pedal power (9V center negative), which is convenient since it's on my pedal board. Which means if anyone wanted to DIY a box for the Euro version and power it that way, it's easily doable.

spacezignul
Common Wiggler

Post by spacezignul » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:04 pm

Is anyone experiencing a static kind of noise coming from the spring reverb part of the field kit fx?

I need to turn the tone knob on the mixer all the way anti clockwise in order not to hear it but that way I loose all the higher frequencies coming from the reverb :/ its nice it makes for some really nice dark reverbs but I wish I didn't need to compromise on that

even if I take the spring reverb output into somewhere else there is always that noise... what could it be? anyone

chorus7
Yeah that's right

Post by chorus7 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:39 pm

spacezignul wrote:Is anyone experiencing a static kind of noise coming from the spring reverb part of the field kit fx?

I need to turn the tone knob on the mixer all the way anti clockwise in order not to hear it but that way I loose all the higher frequencies coming from the reverb :/ its nice it makes for some really nice dark reverbs but I wish I didn't need to compromise on that

even if I take the spring reverb output into somewhere else there is always that noise... what could it be? anyone
Running into the same problem myself... I bout a medium Intellijel tank and its basically useless with the static noise thats introduced?!? :despair:

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:22 pm

Wrong impedance on the tank? Bad connections maybe? Grounding issues? Input and output reversed? I had trouble with the first cable set I was using, switched it out and it's fine now.

The spring reverb amp is horribly noisy with nothing connected, but it settles down nicely when I have it plugged in.

spacezignul
Common Wiggler

Post by spacezignul » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:23 pm

Yes very disapointing indeed. Im gonna get in touch with Koma and see what they say

spacezignul
Common Wiggler

Post by spacezignul » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:37 pm

starthief wrote:Wrong impedance on the tank? Bad connections maybe? Grounding issues? Input and output reversed? I had trouble with the first cable set I was using, switched it out and it's fine now.

The spring reverb amp is horribly noisy with nothing connected, but it settles down nicely when I have it plugged in.
Even with no tank cables connected the reverb output is just constantly noisy, not just noisy but it's kind of a static noise which makes me think that there is something wrong. I've tried different set ups to no avail

appliancide
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by appliancide » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:15 pm

I have actually gotten a staticky crackling sound coming from the looper output recently. Haven’t used the reverb much as I have the music thing spring reverb.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:08 am

spacezignul wrote:Even with no tank cables connected the reverb output is just constantly noisy, not just noisy but it's kind of a static noise which makes me think that there is something wrong. I've tried different set ups to no avail
I get that too with no cables connected. It stops completely when it's connected.

Makes for a handy noise source IMHO :)

Pighood
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Pighood » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:11 am

I had a 36 HP hole. How fortuitous. :fap:
*phnert*

PapaLazarou
Common Wiggler

Post by PapaLazarou » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:48 pm

Anyone know of a sample that highlights the FM/shortwave CV function?

Pighood
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Pighood » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:15 pm

PapaLazarou wrote:Anyone know of a sample that highlights the FM/shortwave CV function?
That's the OG Field Kit, not the FX version
*phnert*

Wiggling with Experience

Post by 61050 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:18 pm

I'm super interested in this, but am wondering about the reverb. I was planning on putting this in a mantis case. is there a small enough tank i could mount in a mantis and still be able to use with this thing?

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:50 pm

61050 wrote:I'm super interested in this, but am wondering about the reverb. I was planning on putting this in a mantis case. is there a small enough tank i could mount in a mantis and still be able to use with this thing?
Busboards take the full width of the Mantis behind the top row, so you'd have to mount them lengthwise on the bottom row, which says it has 61mm of depth available. (I think it's less on the edges.)

Accutronics spring tanks are 1.313 inches deep, which is 33.35mm. So if you only mounted shallow modules above the tank, it could fit.

I left my tanks unmounted and external. Makes it easier to play with the springs, switch tanks, clip on another pickup, etc.

(I happen to have a Field Kit FX (with both the Euro panel and standalone box/panel) and two tanks up for sale... :mrgreen:)

Return to “General Gear”